FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winner DPC #103 "Half"

Page  12>
Author
MiPr View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Mikre Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiPr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winner DPC #103 "Half"
    Posted: 13 June 2010 at 10:44
Dear Dyxumers,

I've just finished counting all votes and I am pleased to announce THE photo which won the "Half" DPC:

"Egg" by jagged

The above photo had worthy followers two of which get the Honourable Mention award ...

"Pepper" by Bob J

... and ...

"Half eaten" by Mark L

Personally I opted for this photo - after the first CYC I have a strange sentiment towards apples and snails

As usual the winner will get beautiful and shiny Golden Dyxum Patch.

Congratulations to the Great Three and thank you all for voting and participation in this DPC.

Happy shooting,
MiPr
I'm noise-blind. And noise-about-noise-deaf too ... |   BTW, Dyxum Weekly Exhibitions don't grow on trees ...

moo-ha-ha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote moo-ha-ha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 10:58
Congratulation jagged, beautiful photo, well deserved.

Well done to Bob J and Mark L.
| Mayur |

| KM 5D | 24-105D | 35 1.4 | 100 2.8M | 200 2.8G | 2x APO II |

| a700+VG | DT 16-105 | 50 1.4 | 70-300G | 70-400G |
pegelli View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote pegelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 11:16
Congrats jagged, well thought out and set up shot!

I think the two runners up are very good (just look at my votes ) so congrats for Bob and Mark as well.
Mind the bandwidth of others, don't link pictures larger then 1024 wide or 960 pix high, see here
Mark L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 11:35
Congratulations, Jagged. I knew that this shot was the winner as soon as it appeared. Perfectly constructed shot and a superb interpretation of the theme. I am honoured to be a runner up.

My own contribution owed much to my wife for her support and tolerance of strange behaviour, and especially to my star, Brian the Snail.

I had the idea while eating an apple at lunch. My first thought for the starring role was a caterpillar, preferably one that rears up on occasions -- but you try finding a large caterpillar in late April or early May, especially this year!

Then I thought of a snail. My first attempt was a total failure. My wife had brought in a snail, saying "here you are", so I rushed things a bit -- wrong lighting, wrong surface, added to which the 'volunteer' wouldn't cooperate; he kept moving off in the wrong direction and eventually got angry and started foaming.

A week or so later I tried again, this time having worked out the lighting properly. Brian was a true star and behaved impeccably. This was the best of about 20 shots. He was soon returned unscathed to his home in the compost bin.

For those who are wondering why 'Brian' see here and here
wross View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group

Post Options Post Options   Quote wross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 13:27
Great creativity and execution, all around. Congratulations to all, especially jagged for the victory.
Lazarus Long said "If it can't be expressed in figures, it's not science. It's opinion." Comments I leave are only my opinions. Feel free to disagree; your opinion is as valid as mine.
jagged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jagged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 10:48
Many thanks to all those who voted Egg! And congratulations to Bob J and Mark L, and to all the other fine contenders.

I had been in a kind of photographic doldrums for some time, and entering this DPC has acted as a catalyst to get me back into it again - so to have been selected as the winner is doubly rewarding.

My initial thought was to try something loosely based on Dali's 'Metamorphosis of Narcissus', but it proved impossible to recreate without suitably surreal fingers :-) The final shot was achieved by placing the egg on a sheet of glass a few inches above some black and white card, then lit by flash from one side with just a hint of reflection on the other. (The glass had to be raised to prevent shadows on the white background.) It took a lot of trials to get everything lined up correctly - the shadow halfway across the egg, apex to apex, nicely aligned with the background, correct DOF, and controlling the highlights from the flash - but eventually I got something I was happy with!
Sony a700|a100|CZ1680|Tam 90 Macro|Tam 18-250|Sig 75-300APO|Kit 18-70|Sig EF500DGSuper pbase

Dopol View Drop Down
Alpha Eyes group
Alpha Eyes group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dopol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 12:33
Fun to learn something of the background of the shots
So Bob, what's your story

Congrats to the winner and great runners up.
Beautiful construct, Jagged
Be yourself, there are enough others Comment yourself there are enough interested readers
bharnois View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bharnois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 12:40
Good theme, excellent winners. Great setup Jagged.
Just luvin' DYXUM.
dd001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dd001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 11:48
Congrats to jagged for the winning photo
Good work to the two honorable mentions as well
David - My Gallery
cthep2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cthep2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2010 at 05:22
Congratz jagged, great concept and execution!
congratz to Bob J and Mark L for great shots too!
Pics talk, Cam doesn't!
MyFlickr
500Px - Recorded Momentz
ADub128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ADub128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2010 at 05:33
Nicely done, all.

@jagged - thanks for sharing the technique. I'm not good at studio setups, so it's nice to learn the secrets.
NEX-3, 6 | A77ii | Dynax 505si super | Maxxum 9 | many, many lenses ;-)
dilettante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dilettante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2010 at 17:38

Congratulations jagged, Bob and Mark - good shots all.

(But one thing's bugging me: shouldn't that snail be rather larger if he's eaten half of that apple? )
Bob J View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bob J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2010 at 17:43
Originally posted by Dopol Dopol wrote:

Fun to learn something of the background of the shots
So Bob, what's your story

Erm.. I was trying to think of things I could cut in half and saw a pepper? I think I was in the middle of one-prime at the time, so had to use the 24, but I did allow myself a close-up filter and the sky as a background. The final shot I chose was given a bit of 'clarify' (local contrast enhancement)..
Mark L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2010 at 18:37
Originally posted by dilettante dilettante wrote:

But one thing's bugging me: shouldn't that snail be rather larger if he's eaten half of that apple?

He ate in stages, of course -- but you should have seen the mess he left behind in between meals

In case anyone wants to know, I shot this on my product table using a paper base curved upwards behind the subject to form a background without any join. The whole thing was lit by a single studio strobe to the right of the camera at about 45-60 degrees to the lens axis. Fill on the left was provide by a reflector -- actually just a piece of white card just out of shot. The setup was carefully arranged and tested before introducing the snail, who was then placed to the left of the apple in the hope that he would crawl in the right direction. The snail had to be repositioned several times and this was the best shot -- the only one in which he was actually 'interacting' with the apple.
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Dyxum Photographs > Dyxum Galleries > Dyxum Photo Contest Winners Page  12>