Minolta AF 100mm F2 A-mount lens reviews

price paid:$650? USD
positive:Small size and 55mm filter thread
Stunningly sharp
Lovely bokeh
negative:Can have CA, mostly noticed in reflections in eyes for portraits
Heavy - this is a stout lens
comment:This lens is just about perfect. Images are great. This lens is surprisingly small. It is a perfect fit on an a7 with LA-EA4 adapter. Autofocus is just like everything else pre-1990. Same speed, and highly accurate. This is easily my favorite telephoto lens I have used, even over the (deservedly) vaunted Minolta 80-200 HS G. I just flat out love this lens. Sharpness, micro-contrast, even 3D look, it really can have it all. And its in a lens that is nearly exactly the size of my Sony Zeiss 55/1.8. A true marvel of design. The only thing I can think that would make it better is if it were re-made today with a bit lighter (even high grade plastic) with some modern coatings and some ED glass. This is a keeper.
reviewer#12004 date: Oct-17-2014
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Minolta 85/1,4 G (D)
price paid:eur 480 2nd hand
positive:Sharp wide open
Excellent colors
Light weight
negative:nothing
comment:I bought this lens to compare with 85/1,4 and decide what to use on A7R: 85 is one full stop faster but it is less usable wide open than 100/2 so I have decided to keep the latter.
It has same size as 85 but it weights less which helps...
I will keep it until a fast telephoto for FE mount won't be released than I will compare again...
reviewer#11892 date: Jul-4-2014
compared to:Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 16-80 DT F3.5-4.5
Sony G 70-300 SSM F4.5-5.6
Tamron D II 60 F2 Macro
price paid:€ 300 (used)
positive:Great lens with absolutely superb sharpness and contrast even at full aperture. Works flawlessly with Alpha 350. Even after about 20 years of age no sign of wear.
Good bokeh. Light weight compared to zooms despite metal barrel.
negative:Drains battery by constant and noisy refocusing. No ADI-function.
comment:Bought this lens from a friend who used to have it with Minolta 9000. No regret. Worth every penny.
reviewer#11877 date: Jun-23-2014
compared to:85 1.4 minolta
tamron 70-200 2.8
positive:Bokeh, size, build, sharpness wide open
negative:mfd, really nothing worth noting
comment:Almost bought from a dyxum member and had to pass and paid more than I would have liked elsewhere, but still can't complain about it after seeing results. I did not think I would find a lens I liked more for portraits than my Minolta 85 1.4 rs, but I may have. More testing is required, but so far all I can say is WOW! this lens is bliss for portraits and nice and compact as well.
reviewer#11327 date: Sep-4-2013
compared to:Nikkor 105mm f2.5
Sony 85mm f2.8
positive:Sharpness @ f2
Beautiful Bokeh
Minolta color
light weight
negative:sometimes I wish it had closer focus distance
comment:Back in my film days (ancient history), the Nikkor 105mm f2.5 was my favorite portrait lens, so I purchased the Minolta 100mm f2 as my portrait lens over the various permutations of the 85mm f1.4. I did have the Sony 85mm f2.8 for a short time and found it to be a good performer but not in the same league as the 100mm f2. I still love this focal length for portraits. It definitely lives up to the rating on this site. I also find that I reach for this lens when doing landscapes and creating images for stitching. I compared this lens to the Nikkor on my NEX 6 and they are very close, but I give the edge to the Minolta because of the color rendering. It may be pricey for a used lens, but it is very high quality and worth the price.
reviewer#10687 date: Nov-11-2012
compared to:135mm/F2.8
24-105mm/F3.5-3.5
price paid:700 USD(used)
positive:very sharp across all aperture
smooth boken
rich Minolta color
good contrast
compact but solid build
distortion is small
negative:AF a bit noisy and slow
flare control
highly priced as an old lens
comment:This is a very good lens with a distinctive old Minolta style back in the 1980s. The image quality is superb, as well as the solid build with metal and glass. The only drawback is the slow and noisy AF. I wish that Sony will reproduce this lens with a SSM motor inside, then it will qualify a "G" mark on the front cap.
reviewer#10615 date: Oct-23-2012
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7 RS
Minolta 50mm f2.8 Macro
price paid:850 EUR
positive:very sharp even wide open
nice bokeh
focal length on ff
light and small
perfect focus w/o micro adjust
negative:some flare
comment:i recently upgraded from my trusted old a700 to a a850. since 50mm is now too short for portrait shooting, i needed a new lens. after reading the reviews and looking at sample images, i decided to go for the 100mm f2. this lens is rightly legendary, the images are stunning! well worth the high price i paid.
reviewer#9793 date: Jan-16-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
price paid:870 USD (mint)
positive:Sweet, rich, true classic Minolta colors. Deep 3D contrast. Smooth and nice transition bokeh. Amazing sharpness at f2 to extremely sharp at f2.8.
negative:CA can be a bit strong in high contrast scene at f2. Stopped down to f2.8 gets rid of most CA. Minimum focus distance is quite long. Not suitable for macro.
comment:Tried with both A850 and A77, my copy back focuses a bit and requires -10 adjustment on the camera body. First impression with images taken with this lens is beyond expected sharpness at f2 and extremely sharp with micro details at f2.8. I can clearly see very fine thin hair and pores on the face of the model in natural light without flash and that photo is already downsized to 1024 pixels width!! If it's not sharp to you, it's more likely your copy back or front focuses, since DOF at f2 is very narrow, and back/front focus is very common for legacy glasses on newer camera bodies. Don't return this lens if you haven't checked this yet. Only A850 A900 and A77 can do focus adjustment so you should consider upgrading your body then selling this fine gems and regret later.

The colors of this lens are very classic Minolta style which can be described as sweet, deep, and richly saturated. But this lens takes it further and produce the kind of uniquely rich, deep colors I haven't found in other classic Minolta lens I have. The first instance I tried this lens made me WOW. The contrast is brilliant and almost 3D like. The subject in focus just pops up from the background. No need for post processing at all.

The other outstanding feature is the creamy and smooth transition of the out of focus background (bokeh). A lot of photographers asked me after seeing my photos if I used the lens with smooth focus feature. It's really just beautiful. I love the bokeh and sharpness at f2 and will not hesitate to shoot wide open. CA can be a bit strong so you should be careful in high contrast scenes and stop down to f2.8 to avoid the problem.

I'd prefer this one over the 135mm f1.8za for street candid, photojournalism, and travels for its portable size and weight that's half of that ZA. I wouldn't want to lug around 1.8 kilo of camera + lens with me on my trips. This lens is very hard to find, especially in mint conditions, and expect the price to keep rising.

If you come across one, just grab it while you can! You won't be disappointed. This is one of the best portrait/candid lens available in A mount.

See my photos with 100mm f2 on my Flickr collection at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeispixels/collections/72157628204412995/
reviewer#9299 date: Aug-4-2011
Contrasty
Beautiful rendition and colour
Not too big
negative:mfd could be shorter

comment:A pretty rare lens this and very high quality. Build is great and focussing is reasonably quick. Minimal focus could be shorter but it's not atypical for a lens of this length. I love its rendering of light and smooth bokeh. It's extremely contrasty which is a characteristic I like although the contrast is not so much at the micro-contrast level as the Zeiss 85 and it's not quite so sharp (although it is my sharpest lenses, ZA aside). Nonetheless, it renders texture, colour and light beautifully in a very Minolta way. Think of the 135 f2.8's rendering but with far less CA (at least in my experience) and you'll get the idea.
Despite owning both the 85ZA and the 100f2 and despite their similar focal lengths, I intend to keep both. The 100 is much less bulky for one thing and has a different look.

Update after more use:

Initially I used the 85mm in preference (I bought them both around the same time) but lately it's the other way round or at least where people shots are concerned. I love the way it renders people and it has brilliant colour and I also prefer the slightly longer focal length. I'd say the Zeiss was a tad sharper and has better micro-contrast if you pixel peep but unless you do so, you won't notice and in practice in prints they are equally razor sharp. Definitely the best portrait/people lens I've ever used.
reviewer#8842 date: Mar-29-2011
compared to:ZA 85/1.4
ZA 135/1.8
ZM 50/2
Sony 70-200/2.8 G
Color
Compact for this range and aperture
negative:Not reproduced by Sony
Noisy focus
comment:I prefered this gem vs both of the ZA primes, for colors and rendition(sharpness is the same league).

I use it mainly between f2 and f4 and when need sharpness all over the frame f5.6 to f8 (landscapes & other details).

It's a shame that Sony don't have this lens on actual catalogue.

Highly recommended lens.
reviewer#8577 date: Jan-27-2011
price paid:100 Can
positive:Tack sharp
Silky bokeh
Majestic colours
and everything else anyone has ever said.
negative:nothing at all
comment:This was a great steal for me. I bought this off of Kijiji with a Maxxum 7000 a 70-210 f4 a 35-70 and so on for $350. Anyways, this lens was the deal breaker a chance to own my second copy of this lens and it was in mint condition. Of all the pictures I have taken over the past 15 years those taken with this lens on my Maxxum 7 are some of my favorites.
reviewer#8465 date: Dec-31-2010
positive:VERY sharp
Contrast
LOVE the color
Overall OUTSTANDING!
negative:Hunts a little in some low light suitations.
comment:This is my first G-quality lens. Nothing eles I have comes close. Was going to get an 85 1.4 for portraits and happened to come across this and didn't blink an eye. Nice compact size, and weight is fine on my KM-5D. Hunts a little inside on low constrat subjects somtimes (sure my 5-D doesn't help there) but locks quicker than my 28 or 50. In good light this baby locks on FAST. Build is old school minolta. Solid, heavy, feels like it'll last forever. The colors just POP with this lens compared to my others. This lens on my 5-D is sharp wide open. I've been shooting mostly at f2.2 and loving it. It's what everyone of the other reviews say. I like my portraits a little sharper with nice bokeh to boot and I can't see it getting any better than this. This is one lens I can't ever see me selling. I can't hardley take it off even when I need something wider (35mm f2.0 here I come!). I can't recommend this lens highly enough, sharp, fast, compact, creamy bokeh and colors to die for! Get it if you can.
reviewer#8349 date: Dec-4-2010
positive:Good contrast
Perfect sharpness
Light and bright
Tough build
negative:none really, but AF speed could be better
comment:The ultimate resolving machine. No zoom even comes close in sharpness. Color and contrast are great. Lens hood is adequate for avoiding flare. A good alternative for the heavy and much more expensive Zeiss primes. Highly recommended for both FF and APS-C.
reviewer#8284 date: Nov-23-2010
compared to:Tamron 90mm
Minolta 100mm
Tokina 100mm
Minolta 135mm 2.8
Minolta 85mm GD
price paid:880 USD (caps, hood)
positive:Sharp, very sharp
Bokeh (f2 bokeh!)
small size
negative:A little bit back focus on my Sony A500 and A200.
comment:Great for portrait!
I used to own a Minolta 85 G D. The 85 G D is not very sharp at f1.4. Stop down to f2, it's wonderful.
When I received this lens, I am very surprised how sharp it is at f2. I think this lens is sharper than the 85 GD at f2.
The bokeh is very good. It does make the 3D look for the pictures.
reviewer#8270 date: Nov-19-2010
Size
I got one
negative:Price
Availability
focus speed (not too bad)
comment:I bought this lens about two and a half years ago and I've used it with the Minolta 5D, Sony A700 and the Sony A550. I have not used it with a full frame so this review is for APS cameras users only. Although I would bet it performs just as good with full frame.

If I had to choose the one lens that was the closest lens to being perfect this would be the lens. For starters it's f/2. Secondly it's tack sharp at f/2, it's rare that any lens can be so sharp wide open.

Although 100mm is a bit longer then I normally shoot with, when I need something in the 100mm area other then macro this is the lens I go to.

I recently did a photo shoot with a model and used both the Sony 70-200 G and the 100 f/2. I preferred the 100 f/2 photo's. You don't need as much correction in post processing if at all with this lens. The sharpness and color are as close to perfect as you can get. And yes, for portraits it's better then the 70-200 G.

I also have used this lens to shoot indoor basketball and it works OK. It's focusing is a little slow for fast sports in dimly lit gyms. Fortunately the first gym I was shooting in was very well lit so the 100 f/2 focused decently. The second gym I shot in was terribly lit and focusing was very challenging, although that probably would have been the case for any lens to be honest. The great thing about this lens for indoor sports is of course the ability to use f/2 and double you shutter speeds in comparison to any f/2.8 lens.

This is an incredible lens and a pleasure to work with and gets my highest recommendation.

Unfortunately this lens is almost impossible to find, and if you do find one you better have a lot of money.

Update: On Full Frame, all the great points I wrote about are only better.
reviewer#8074 date: Oct-10-2010
Size
Construction
negative:price
Availability
comment:This is now an amended review based on a second sample of the lens.

The first sample of this lens was very good but required careful handling to get the best from it. It was very sharp but mis-focused quite easily using the A700 but was much better on my A900. As this lens seemed to be problematic on my A700 which was the camera I had brought it for I decided to sell it. This was something I grew to regret and so I got another when the opportunity presented itself.

I have subsequently learned how to calibrate the focus on an A700 (3 screw method) and now enjoy sharper pictures with all my lenses.

My second 100/2 is actually better than the first, not just because of my calibrated A700 but also because it seems sharper - much more in line with some of the rave reviews you can read here.

It is very sharp at f2 without micro-adjust on my A900, also on my A700 (where no micro-adjust is possible) and with a -8 micro adjust on my NEX7 via the LA-EA2 adapter.

The lens is simply quite stunning; sharp, lovely Minolta colours and a pleasing 3D feel to the images. I just wish Sony would bring one out so that more people could enjoy this little Minolta gem is a delight!
reviewer#7888 date: Aug-28-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:CZ135, CZ85, Minolta 135/2.8, Minolta 100 macro, Beercan, 70-300G, Minolta 200/2.8 HS.
positive:- Sharp
- Compact
negative:- Bokeh is good, but not fantastic.
- Some colour fringing
- Focus is a bit loud and not fast
- Overpriced due to rarity
comment:This is a very good lens. Nice and compact, with excellent sharpness. Good sharpness wide open though NOT as sharp as CZ85 at f/2 or C135 at f/2.

Didn't quite have the "wow" factor for me, when compared to the CZ85, CZ135 or Minolta 200/2.8 HS. I think mainly due to the bokeh which is not as creamy.

I feel it's a bit overpriced. If I didn't have enough money to get a CZ85, I would still take a Minolta 85/1.4 over this one. f/1.4 is a whole stop wider than f/2 and this can make a big difference for portraits and really shallow DOF effects.

The 100/2 is also quite heavy for it's small size and doesn't balance that well (a bit front-heavy). It's not that much smaller or lighter than a 85/1.4. (Compare with 135/2.8 which is very noticeably lighter and smaller).
reviewer#7846 date: Aug-23-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Leica 90MM Summicron.
price paid:129.00
positive:Sharp at full aperture. Accurate dark interior focusing, especially with my Maxxum 9.
negative:Rarity: while I got mine incredibly cheap, I doubt I will ever buy another one.

The focusing ring: I just don't like the ring on any of the AF lenses.
comment:This is a great lens, no doubt about it. The largest print I have ever made came from a negative shot with this lens. Neopan 1600 printed at 12X18. Grainy as all heck, but not too grainy for my tastes, with a nice amount of vignetting as well. Still very sharp, and likely could have withstood a greater enlargement.

Yes, I actually paid 129 Canadian for it too. I cannot remember who it was, but there was someone who was collecting information for a website, prices paid, where you bought it, etc. I actually scanned my receipt and sent it to him. I bought it at a store that knew what it was and what it was worth, but felt that someone who knew would get a heck of a deal, but the thing was, they had to know. I knew. Too darn bad that I had to sell it. It was great.
reviewer#7651 date: Jul-1-2010
compared to:135mm f1.8 ZA
100mm f2.8 Macro Minolta
85mm f1.4 Minolta
50mm f1.4 Sony & Sigma
35mm f2.0 Minolta
positive:Good focal length for portraits
Sharpness, color & contrast are outstanding
negative:Hunts on occassion/ low light and low contrast targets
comment:At first blush I was not sure that this lens was all that it was hyped to be. With better technique and patience I found that the problem was me and not the lens. It marries up well with the 35mm f2.0 in color, contrast and sharpness (with the 35f2 just a hint sharper wide open). It is almost as sharp as the Zeiss 135f1.8 but with a totally different color rendition; where the 100f2 has true Minolta color and the Zeiss is brighter and less contrasty.

Compared to the 85mm f1.4 this lens is similar in color, more contrasty and equally sharp. The 100f2 might be considered the Yang to the 85f1.4's Yin, where the DOF from the 85f1.4 presents an ever so slightly lighter rendition.

I would place the 100mm Macro slightly ahead of the 100f2 in resolving power and bokeh (this is to be expected). However, the 100f2 is much better for portraits and focuses faster.

The 100f2, in my opinion, is a tele 50mm f1.4 as far as color, contrast and sharpness. I would use the 50f1.4, 35f2 and the 100f2 if I wanted all of the images from a shoot to look seamless one from the other.

More to come as I get more opportunity to learn how to get the most this lens has to offer.
reviewer#7345 date: Apr-25-2010
price paid:500 USD (NEW)
positive:Sharp !!
comment:every thing I've heard about this lens is true and more !!

it's sharp from f2 with beautiful bokeh

it's a must have lens and make me wonder is the 135mm cz worth the upgrade ..
reviewer#7209 date: Mar-31-2010
compared to:28-135
80-200G HS
price paid:L400
positive:Bokeh
Lightweight
Cheap
negative:nothing really but rare
comment:This is a very nice lens.

In 1987 a crack commando lens unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime it didn't commit. This lens promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government (and collectors), it survives as a soldier of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the 100mm f2.

So yes, they are rare as hens teeth. But cheaper than a 135mm 1.8 by some margin, and there's not a great deal else. Worth finding one if you can because its SHARP all the way and produces lovely creamy bokeh. Perfect for portraits. I go to this lens more than any other I have owned.

reviewer#7169 date: Mar-27-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:NIKON 105 f2.5 + NIKON D700 it is clearly sharper wide open, stepped down they seems to be equally sharp and gives good colors. (On A900).
price paid:650US$
positive:High performance lens. Sharp wide open. Better than any zoom I have.
negative:(Very expensive if found used. (Sony does not make them))
comment:This one was very expensive though it is a specially good performer. The vignetting is there at f2 but goes all away at f2.8, where it is as sharp as stepped further down. This is a gem. If you can find it buy it.

Compared to my NIKON 105 f2.5
Sony 50mm 1.4.
Zeiss 16-80
price paid:USD 590
positive:Compact,very sharp wide open,bokeh
negative:none except for slight flare
comment:Another of the classic Minolta lens,great walk around lens which focus quickly in low light,great for rainy day and winter photograpgy.

Can be overpriced due to it's rarity but can be purchased below US 600 for mint condition if you search long enough
reviewer#6598 date: Dec-17-2009
compared to:135/2.8
200/2.8
beercan
70-300G
28-135
positive:Small, sharp, smooth bokeh, fast, sexy.
negative:rare, therefore expensive
comment:This lens rocks. Period. I loved the little 135/2.8 for its stealth and small size. But this ups the ante with sharper, smoother photos in a preferable length for my use. Great for portraits and indoor events. I like that it's smaller than the 85/1.4s. At f2, it provides beautiful bokeh, wonderful colours and minimal CA though it's there. It's the most I've paid for a lens used. If you can get a decent price, it's very worth it for either apsc or full-frame.
reviewer#5736 date: Jul-20-2009
- Not sharp wide open
- non SSM
- extends on focusing
- Hard to get
comment:Use this lens in parallel with Zeiis portratit primes (85ZA and 135ZA, STF) I walk some days with this lens only and i can say that it is definitly good, very good but not great lens. It sharp stopped down to F4 only, compact and lightweight. At f2-F2.8 sharpness is goog, but no perfect. Focal length usefull on APS-C and Full Frame. Only some minor issues:
not fats AF (but faster than 100 macro with limiter) and comparable with 85za\135za. Bokeh: on my taste it's far from excellent for portrait work. In my taste STF, 135za, 85za and 85G have much better bokeh. 100/2 have only 'good' bokeh comparable may be with 100 macro. Now usual price for this lens is 900$ and i can say that 85 G for ~ same money much better choice IMHO. But if You can get lens for resonable price (i suppose 400-500$ i near MINT condition): get it.
reviewer#5676 date: Jul-9-2009
compared to:80-200/2.8 Maxxum APO
100/2.8 Maxxum macro
price paid:$850 USD mint
positive:Super Sharp
Build Quality
Classic Glass
negative:Price
comment:What can you say? One of the very best. Just a beautiful lens and what a performer! Rare.
This is a quality lens that any Minolta/Sony owner should try at least once in your life.
reviewer#5099 date: Mar-26-2009
compared to:Beercan, Minolta Md 100 / 2,5
price paid:350 EUR (used)
positive:Very sharp. No distortion. Very compact
negative:None
comment:This lens is the reason why I'll never switch to another brand. 3D effect is spectacular. My copy is almost as new.
reviewer#5097 date: Mar-26-2009
compared to:85 1.4, SP 90 2.8
price paid:400 €
positive:everything
negative:none
comment:Must be one of the best lenses ever made.
reviewer#5086 date: Mar-24-2009
Compact
Colors
Contrast
negative:none
comment: I can easily say this is one of the sharpest lenses I have owned. The bokeh is amazing as is the DOF control. It makes the colors and figures "pop off the page". I took some shots yesterday of a car parked in the lot where I work, under a very cloudy sky with bunk natural light. I took a picture about 20 feet away and loaded the picture to the computer. My collegue remarked that we could blow it up sufficiently to read the SAE stamping on the inside of the cornering lamp. This was done with an A100, ISO 400. I am floored by the performance of this lens. I have a Zeiss 135 now and the 100 still holds its own. I took some shots on my porch on my of some glass decorations. After dialing in the micro adjust, the photos were hard to tell which lens was used, except for the amazing Minolta colors. It's small and light and delivers the goods.
reviewer#5015 date: Mar-12-2009
compared to:70-400G SSM
24-70mm CZ
50mm f/1.4
price paid:500GBP
positive:Incredibly sharp
Light and unobtrusive
negative:None yet
comment:Sharper than the Sony G lenses. Incredible colour. Best lens I own.
reviews found: 67    1 2 3 >>