Minolta AF 28mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by Lothian

reviewer#33751 date: Jan-10-2017
compared to:no comparison
price paid:70 euros (used)
positive:Very light
Nice color rendition
Useful focal length for FF and APS-C
negative:Not so sharp before f/4 f/5.6
Prone to flare and lack of contrast
some distorsion and CA
Useless tiny inner lens hood
Super thin focus ring
comment:More cons than pros in my review, and yet I like this lens and can't get out without it.
I even perform pro work in photography with it, like journalism and wedding, without any shame ! If you know its weaknesses (flare and lack of sharpness wide open mostly, along with CA) and learn to play around it or use it to your advantage, it is a real bargain for its low price!

I've been using it for the past two years on a sony Nex 7, APS-C , with a resulting 42 mm focal length, and it's just the perfect street photography focal for me, below it beeing too wide angle for my taste.
I'll probably give a better feedback than some other reviewers here regarding its sharpness (already falling at the edges on APS-C, it has to be worse on full frame obviously...). I find it sharp enough and i enjoy its bokeh, not super sweet but not distracting. When situation demands it, I shoot wide open at 2.8, a bit more CA, a bit less sharp, but still very usable images.

I will soon get a better lens of comparable focal length, yet I won't sell this Minolta, as it's so light that as a backup lens, I won't feel it in my bag.

Find us on Google+