Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 N A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 70    1 2 3 >>
reviewer#11760 date: Apr-11-2014
compared to:DT 55-200, 18-55
price paid:$75 USD
positive:Compact, light, solidly made. Cheap and available.
negative: Not as good as the longer and heavier original; no macro.
comment:I paid perhaps more than most for this lens, but it appeared to be unused and totally dust free so I went for it. Maybe it was a fluke, but my copy is better than I'd expected from reading the reviews. Yes, it is slightly soft at 35mm wide open but it's reasonably sharp at 105 WO and at 5.6 and 8 it's plenty sharp for my purposes. The focus doesn't seem to shift while zooming.

The zoom was quite stiff and a bit notchy when I got it, probably from lack of use, but soon smoothed out; the focus ring is nice and the zoom doesn't wobble and grate and feel crappy like the 18-55 kit. In short, it's a pleasant to use, well made lens.

I usually disregard comments about lenses having 'colours' but I did notice that this lens has a shift to magenta compared to the new Sony kits. And despite being a '50' at the start, there is a slight barrel distortion which I rather like as it gives a 'seen through a lens' look rather than the clinically flat corrected look that can be a bit sterile.

I started photography with nothing but a 'normal' lens so this is like going back to the beginning. Personally, I never really liked WA lenses and prefer to either back up or take two shots with definite subjects rather than a jumble of stuff. That's not to say I don't like to have a WA handy for when it's needed, but they're not needed nearly as much as they're used. So the 18-55 - the 'free' 200 gram WA - goes in the bag for emergencies and this one is staying on as a default.

reviewer#11267 date: Jul-25-2013
Excellent for daylight
Good for portraits @ 4.5-5.6
negative:Sharp?
IQ wide open
comment:Why do we seem to always want perfection in a lens? I think that we forget to look for the redeeming qualities in almost everything, especially in each other. This lens is far from anywhere near perfect, but it does have some excellent qualities. Yes, it is soft wide open and at f.16 it has its problems. However, this is a wonderful portrait lens between 4.5 and 6.3. On my copy, f.8.0 is SHARP and not good for portraits, but it's great for landscapes. I seldom shoot at f.11.0 and above because it seems that something happens to the contrast. I carry ND filters for that very reason. So the redeeming qualities are weight, softness at large apertures, sharpness in the middle, and easily replaceable for little cost. They seem to be readily available too. Finally, my back loves this lens when I leave the grip and 28-135mm at home.
reviewer#11068 date: Apr-25-2013
Lightweight
Inexpensive
Readily available
smooth & quiet AF
negative:Not as sharp as Original version
no macro switch
comment:Bought this with a 7000i. I knew it wasn't the original, but like other reviewers have stated, the original is sometimes hard to find. Most reviews seemed positive, so I gave it a try. Overall it's not a bad lens, just not exceptional. It is probably well above some of the other Minolta kit lenses of its' era (e.g 28-80, 80-200). I use it as a lightweight walk around lens with acceptable range. It is not as heavy as the beercan series, but it feels robust in construction.It's a pretty good hiking lens, due to it's weight and range.

When I wish to take better shots, it stays in the bag and I use my 28-85. The colors lack character, and sharpness= meh, not so much. I would recommend it, just don't expect images comparable to the Min 35-105 original.
reviewer#10786 date: Dec-15-2012
Lightweight
Good MFD
negative:Build could be better
No macro function
comment:Vert good budget lens, a bargain at current prices.

Really good IQ for little money.

This copy is reasonably sharp at max aperture and becomes very sharp between f7.1 and f11.

Small enough for your pocket a very useful general purpose lens.
reviewer#10348 date: Jul-2-2012
color
size
range
negative:sharpness wide open
comment:I was a quite disappointed with this lens. I wanted to buy the O version, but I could not find any, so I bought the N version for a good price. I was disappointed by sharpness. It took me some time to find out that sharpness can be very good or excellent if you stop down to 6.3 or higher. At higher f-values this lens produces wondeful images with beautiful Minolta colors.

Its size is great, I liked it for travelling. Build is OK for me, no problem. I haven't noticed any distortion, no problems with flare, but I don't think I have ever shot against the sun with it.

IMHO there is no point comparing its quality to the O version. Maybe we should not use the word "version", because the lenses are different, they are not versions. 35-105 O produces much better shots (sharpness, contrast), but is bigger, has much worse MFD (1500 vs 850 mm), is more expensive and a bit rare.

Finally I was satisfied and liked it, but I realized that when I want to go light, I usually choose 35-70/4 (or even 50/1.4), which is smaller, has fixed f4 aperture and can be used at f4 all the time, so it's finally much brighter. So I sold it, I had four lenses in similar range. Now I have also the fantastic 35-105 O, which has a different use.
reviewer#10346 date: Jul-1-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Minolta AF 35-105 f3.5-4.5 (1st)
Minolta AF 35-70 f4
Minolta AF 28-105 RS
Tamron 28-200 (A031)

positive:size and weight
negative:Image quality.
Sharpness
Color
comment:I bought this expecting slightly less quality that the older version in a much more convenient size, and was let down, and was not disappointed by the size.

When I first got it, I liked the size and build, put it on my camera and went for a walk. When I got home and started reviewing, I was a bit puzzled with what went wrong with all the pictures looking a bit flat, with no real sharpness. I pretty quickly summed it up to this lens, and figured I must have gotten a bad copy. So I got a second one and tried it, same results.

It was a cloudy day, and I didn't notice any flare, but I'm assuming it will have inherited this quality from it's older version (which is pretty bad), and gave it a 3. Neither of the version I got came with a hood, but it has the same clip on mount so I'll assume the original hood was similar.

If I want something this small and light to carry around, I'll take the 35-70 f4, the missing 70-105 range can be cropped in with better results.

The quality of this lens is far from the original version in my opinion. I think it's more comparable with my Tamron 28-200 super zoom (that is also pretty bad).
reviewer#10337 date: Jun-26-2012
price paid:45 (used)
positive:cheap
negative:too many
comment:I bought this lens by mistake thinking it is the original version with the macro switch. This lens is really not good, I am not sure if I got a bad copy. It is not sharp. Focus is slow. MFD is long. I don't see anything good with this lens. Color and contrast are lacking. It is even worse than my kit lens. I guess you get what you pay for.
reviewer#10176 date: May-5-2012
positive:size
colours
price
negative:sharpness
comment:I was a little disapointed with this lense it definatly is not as good as its younger brother. Zoom ring was sticky, it had a problem with the zoom rubber as do a few of these lenses. I found myself going back to the baby beercan instead of this.
reviewer#10057 date: Mar-24-2012
price paid:22 € used
positive:+ interesting range
+ colours
+ cheap
negative:- sharpness
comment:First of all: I really like this lens, even though it is definitely not the best lens! Most people are muttering about the range of this on APS-C, but I think it's rather great. The colours on this are really good while the sharpness is quite poor. Open you get a blur-ish image in the center and a blop at the edges :-D you have to stop down to at least f/8 to get it really sharp. But nontheless you can make cool photos with it. This has become my everyday-lens.
reviewer#9868 date: Jan-31-2012
compared to:18-55mm SAM
18-70mm Sony
35-70mm Minolta
35-80mm Minolta
16-105mm Sony
positive:Very sharp stopped down.
Small & light.
negative:Soft at wide apertures.
35mm not wide enough for APS-C.
comment:I bought this on Ebay. Photo was cunningly unclear and listing said it was the older 'Beercan' generation lens. I was initially disappointed when I found I had bought the 'N' version, but actually its quite a good lens and at f8 can produce superbly sharp photos, but rather soft at wide apertures and at zoom extremes.

Sold it when I bought my Sony 16-105mm, which is much better suited as a walk-around lens for APS-C and much better at wide apertures.
reviewer#9824 date: Jan-21-2012
compared to:Minolta 28-105 f3.5-4.5 RS
Minolta 24-50 f4
Minolta 100-200 f4.5
positive:Light
Sharp from f5
negative:Soft wide open (usable)
Length on APS-C
comment:I grabbed it cheap for fun as I heard this one is much worse than the older one, I never try that one either

Surprisingly sharp from 5.6

3.5-4.5 make a soft picture but it's like a soft filter or process in Photoshop, so is it still a bad side!?

28-105 or 24-105 is more useful but gain more weight and price

And for the price - A good len anyway
reviewer#9477 date: Oct-7-2011
price paid:€ 45,00
- Great Colors
- Solid
- Cheap
negative:- Zooming range
comment:I like this lens. I bought it second hand and it was cheap imo. The zooming range on the wide angle is not enough for me but for portraits, people and animals it's a keeper.
reviewer#9463 date: Oct-1-2011
compared to:Sony SAM 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit
positive:Decently sharp. Light. Tough. Great Color. fun range. Nice-ish Bokeh
negative:Can get soft in MANY situations. Flare Monster. CA and PF is strong.
comment:I am starting a collection of 2nd+ gen MIN glass. I want to see how far i can push them and what can happen if you are on a SERIOUS budget!
This was a decent start. I found it has the potential for some RAZOR sharpness, the colors are stunning and really awe-inspiring to your clients and friends. Part of my "post-beercan era" collection is the search for quality lightweight yet sturdy budget glass and this fits NICELY in that category. It's plastic but you get the distinct impression that it can handle it's own.
I will say that in comparison to the sony SAM 1855 it can be a wee bit softer. and it hits that softness in more situations than the 1855 might. it is certainly no macro, but that much can be ascertained from any listing like mhoner or what have you.
it's not the creamiest bokeh ever but i think that can be over-done. however the bokeh is pleasant to look at even to the "cream-cheese" set. lol
One thing: it flares plus has some CA and PF popping out in any semi-harsh setting. doesn't bother me that much as i expected that from this era of coatings. it does tend to hunt like Elmer Fudd in low-light, yet i have had some great captures in these situations. Still a VERY useful & fun lens. I have the 35-70N coming soon and i look forward to a comparison.
for video: no zooming, too jerky. but it's lovely to view motion images made with it. i think it pairs nicely to my a33. It may not be in my "always" bag but it will be used.
-MedsRX
reviewer#9403 date: Sep-11-2011
compared to:MA 24-50, MA 24-85, MA 18-55, AF DT 18-200, TAMRON 17-35,
price paid:USD 104
positive:Small, light.
negative:sharpness wide open.
comment:Could not find the vintage version so I bought this. Amazing small for the range. Maybe I got the only bad sample; Not sharp at all wide open, needs to step down to f11-f16 go get sharp picktures. Very week contrast not like the other Minoltas I have (14 ps). Gave unsharp picktures with bad contrast on A450. At 0.85 cm it is only sharp in the middle and very unsharp at corners at f11. I like the range for APS-C and bought it for my A450, but it failed to be usable.

Tryed it on my A900 and stepped down to f11-16 it is usable for general photography but not as the others I have in that range. At close range it was not sharp at the edges even stepped down to f16.

Tried it later on A77 - a total mess, on that camera this lens is just not good enough. I gave it away.
reviewer#9322 date: Aug-10-2011
compared to:kit lens sony DT 18-55 SAM
positive:Colors
Fast, against the kit lenses anyway
build
good range in the alpha
negative:not much for the price I paid
comment:Well, first in Chile (where I live) there aren't many chances to get a lens for the alphas, except for the extremely expensive sony ones... So, when I had the chance to get this lens at a good price (at least in Chile) I took it. This is my first minolta and I just love it, It's been attached to my alpha 330 ever since... The colors are great, works fast and the size is just right, has better sharpness and is more luminous than the kit lens (at least to me)... the manual focus works well to me and is very useful in situations with low light... what can I say?... I need more minoltas...
reviewer#9028 date: May-15-2011
compared to:SEL28-70
SAL18-55
price paid:About 50€
positive:-Range on FF
-suprisingly fast AF for such an old lens, very good for sports
-very nice colors
-good contrast
-bokeh
-price
negative:-range on APS-C (35mm is little long)
-MF ring sucks
-nothing else for the price
comment:Well, better than I expected! A little gem it is!
I once bought it dirt cheap (~15€) and sold it when I sold my A550 (I changed to NEX) and regret it later.
It was fast, sharp enough, great colors... I loved it but 35mm was a little long on APS-C.
Some days ago I bought it again and I'm currently using it on Sony A7 with LEA4 Adapter... I will update the review when I have more experience with it on FF.
reviewer#8876 date: Apr-6-2011
compared to:sony 18-55mm sam
sony 55-200mm sam
price paid:70usd
positive:sharpness
color
build
negative:funny wide

comment:I love this lens and I take frequent travel, which is sharp enough and fast af .. I bought this from an online forum with quite cheap price. This is my favorite lens ..
reviewer#8735 date: Mar-4-2011
compared to:Sony DT 18-70
Minolta 50mm F1.7
price paid:20 $ used
positive:Weight, zoom-ring bulid, size, price
negative:Focus ring is a bit inconvenient, and loose; focus in dark (f3.5 at 35mm...)
comment:I like portrait view, so 52-150mm equivalent focal length is perfect for me, inside a room it is not so useful. Massive plastic bulid, zoom in dark hunts, and focuses there and back; Bulid is much better than the kit lenses, and God, I like Minolta design. On a300 faster than on a100. For sightseeing it is perfect. Size and weight makes it perfect for running there and back in a city, although i like more heavy lenses.
reviewer#8721 date: Mar-1-2011
compared to:Sony 18-200 DT
Compact / light
negative:Zoom range
comment:Bought this lens as an occasion
Surprising sharpness and color on my A350 and A55
reviewer#8600 date: Jan-31-2011
compared to:Minolta 50 1.7
Sony 1855/1870
- Vibrant colour
- Nice bokeh
negative:- Not wide enough on APS
comment:Sold this lens after 6 month of pleasant use. I miss it a lot, especially its vibrant colour and excellent bokeh.

People say this version is not as good as the old version. I had no chance to compare side by side, but this one is way lighter. The only complaints I had was 35mm being not wide enough. I bought 24-105 instead and sold this one. But the image quality alone, I think 35-105 was better.
reviewer#8487 date: Jan-7-2011
Boken
Dead on sharp
negative:Range
Searches a bit
comment:I sat down tonight and looked through my stuff, had not done that in a long time. Sure enough half my Minolta Len’s were ‘new’, but then I had not noticed. Then again, half of them were originals.
This one is the 35-105, ‘new’, but I still love it. I used it as my walk around for a bit and I always have it around. I shoot on a 5D. That camera paired with that lens is really quite good. Better than that, really good.
So, It’s in my bag with the 35-70 f4 and the 100 f.28.
And the beercan.
Onward, through the fog!
reviewer#8227 date: Nov-10-2010
compared to:Minolta 35-70
Minolta 50 1.7
Beercan
positive:Sharp, classic minolta colors. Inexpensive.
negative:My particular copy has a stiff zoom, feels tight...guess its the opposite of zoom creep.
comment:This lense spends most of its time on my A850. It just feels natural there. I have used it on my A550 as well. I've been pleased with the quality of the pictures - they are sharp and filled with color.
As noted in my negative comment, my copy feels tight when adjusting the zoom. It doesn't have the silky feel that the beercan does. I'd like to get a chance to compare this second generation 35-105 Minolta maxxum lens to the first generation. The build feels solid, but not quite as rugged as the first generation.
reviewer#8000 date: Sep-20-2010
compared to:Minolta 28mm f2.8
Minolta 70-210 f4.5-5.6
Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4
price paid:500 JPY (~ 5 USD)
positive:extremely cheap
negative:awful
comment:Super cheap, I bought this lens to take apart and use the alpha-mount for a MD Rokkor re-mount conversion, and thought I'd take a couple test pictures first.

Very slow, strange range (on APS-C, anyways)

I like prime lenses over zooms anyways, so that might have prejudiced me.

I wouldn't buy this lens for over $20.
reviewer#7921 date: Sep-1-2010
compared to:Minolta 35-70mm F4
price paid:$90 AUD
- Cheap
- nice colour
- smooth bokeh
negative:funny range
comment:The lens has very smooth and nice bokeh when zoom to 105mm.
Very sharp and nice colour. The only thing that I am not satisfied with is the funny range of 35mm. Nevertheless for the price I paid it is considered a very good lens, especially for potrait and zoom in objects.
reviewer#7597 date: Jun-22-2010
compared to:Minolta AF 35-70 F3.5-4.5
price paid:41.50€ (second hand)
positive:- Cheap
- Light
- Reasonable range
- Quite sharp
negative:- Weird range on APS-C
comment:This lens is actually a good performer, but it never really make it in my line-up of lenses. Most of its range is already covered by other lenses I own (Sony 18-55 + Tamron 70-200), and that's just making it useless.

The other thing about this lens is that the range on APS-C is just awkward. With the crop factor, it becomes a telephoto lens with a 52.5-157.5mm range. It makes more sense on a FF sensor, but probably isn't good enough anymore against modern and/or more expensive glass.
reviewer#7466 date: May-23-2010
compared to:Minolta 28-85
Minolta 50/1.7
positive:Nice Color & Sharpness for this price, good bokeh,
negative:build
comment:this is my firt
minolta lens, i love the brightnes & sharp. good bokeh for this price
reviewer#7413 date: May-7-2010
compared to:Minolta 28-105 f3.5 - 4.5
price paid:Ł45 GBP
positive:Light
Good colour
negative:Nothing to mention
comment:Very good lens for the price.

Dont judge it on its focal length; you know what it ia and the lens was designed foe film/full frame usage
reviewer#7295 date: Apr-16-2010
compared to:Minolta 28-80 f3.5-5.6
Minolta 70-210 f4 Beercan
positive:- fantastic IQ
- fast AF
- amazing colors
negative:- manual focus ring a little bit too tight
comment:This is the typical example of (in my opinion), the legendery "Minolta quality". I got this lens from a friend of mine, like a gift, and now it's my favourite lens at all. It's about the same IQ like the Beercan (very similar), but it's a little one. Really, it's not a big beercan :) But.. Sometimes You don't want to hold three kilogramms on your neck... And You need really SHARP images, then - this is your choice.
reviewer#7254 date: Apr-6-2010
Image quality
Colour
Build quality
negative:None
comment:As every photography student knows, all lenses are a compromise. I think this is a great one.

It's not the fastest but 3.5-4.5 is respectable.
Build is not metal but hey it's roughly 20 years old and in great shape, no creaks, and all zoom and focussing mechanisms are still nice and smooth.
Colour is different to the metal build Minoltas, vivid but slightly less warm, in fact I prefer it.
Sharpness is not fantastic wideopen but is fine at f5.6 and what you'd expect at f8. Certainly excellent for a zoom though not the equal of the 35-70.

Range is very good for full-frame which is how I've used it. (I've in fact just purchased a 24-85 intending to use on an APS-C for this very reason)

The biggest surprise is its compact nature. It has the common and cost-effective 55m filter thread, weighs under 300g and yet delivers true Minolta quality far in front of the 28-80 kit lens I got with my Dyxax 5.

Bought in a package with 7000i and few other bits and bobs.
The 7000i is being used as a spare body but after tallying up the sales of the other lens, flash and filter I think for the camera and this lens I probably laid out about 25 GBP.
reviewer#7108 date: Mar-16-2010
compared to:tam 17-50mm
cz 16-80mm
positive:very fast AF
compact
nice colour
negative:unuseful range on APS-C
bad CA
needs to be stopped down
comment:got sent this by mistake from an ebay seller so i thought i'd fire off a few test shots before returning it.

not particularly impressed, it suffers from bad CA (when wide open) which gives a ghostly effect. However sharpness & CA does improve greatly when stopped down to a very respectable level - its possible my sample had bad front or back focus.

The AF speed is very fast, but mine seems to almost rattle.

The build quality is pretty good compared to modern lenses but not quite as good as the 1st gen minolta lenses.
reviews found: 70    1 2 3 >>