Minolta AF 50mm F1.7 A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 393    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>
reviewer#11950 date: Aug-15-2014
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Beercan, tokina 28-70, tokina 80-200, Minolta prime 24, 75-300 mm Minolta cheapo zoom, oddball Russian Mir 1b 37mm, classic takumar 50mm f1.4, Minolta 28-105, Minolta 500 mirror, Tamron 90mm macro, crappy kit lens.
price paid:don't remember
positive:FF prime, cheap
negative:Prime, but not 1.4. Get a 1.4 and be done with it! Note: A bit long on APS frame cameras.
comment:So many reviews so no point in more useless details. Just a note that I have a manual Takumar m42 50mm f1.4 that I prefer over this autofocus. If you need AF, OK, but the manual Takumar has something special about it that shines in low light. Its more 'arty' than the Minolta, the bokeh to die for. Consider it. Otherwise the Minolta is a good prime, maybe a little soft wide open, don't use it much. I have never tried the Minolta 1.4, maybe its the way to go if you have no other 50mm.
reviewer#11937 date: Aug-4-2014
compared to:Minolta 50f1.4
positive:f2.8 razor sharp, fully open not so good.
Classic minolta beautiful colors
Fast AF on A700 and even faster on A850
Build like a tank
negative:Flare
Hood almost not useful
MF ring is tight
comment:If you dont have prime in arsenal, minolta 50mmf1.7 is lens for you! Cheap, fast AF, very good @ f2.2, beautiful colors..... Ok, hood is not very smart made and they have flare and CA problem but hey, you can buy this for aprox. 60 GBP or even cheaper.....
reviewer#11923 date: Jul-28-2014
compared to:Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII
positive:1) Extremely sharp from f/2.8 onwards
2) Sturdily built
3) Smooth focus ring
4) Relatively fast auto focus for a screw-drive lens
negative:1) Slightly soft results when shooting close-ups wide open at f/1.7, but totally usable casual screen viewing or normal prints.
2) Though fast, the lens might hunt for focus, making it stutter when there isn't enough contrast on the subject. This happens typically when you're on Spot focusing mode.
3) Poor flare control causes images to look flashed-out/lack of contrast when shooting against light.
comment:When you're stepping up from a kit lens or looking for a standard fast lens that is versatile, then look no further than this legacy lens from Minolta. Both APC-C (cropped censor) and full-frame users will appreciate its sharpness and performance without overspending.

At wide open at f/1.7, together with a shutter speed of 1/50 and ISO 800, this lens can shoot in a dimly lit room by just a florescent lamp without underexposing. Though it comes with at a cost of softer images, especially when shooting close ups. However it can be easily ignored when you're only casually viewing the images or doing normal prints. It will even become less visible when you're focusing on an object from a distance.

Any range beyond f/2.8 to f/11 is amazingly sharp, it beats many lenses of its class from other brands at a much cheaper price. To illustrate this better, shooting at f/2.8 at 100 crop, I could even see the contact lens of my model and my own reflection on it with a 16MP image.

The lens feels solid when holding it and focus ring is smooth as butter when manual focus is needed; coupled with Focus Peeking feature in recent SLT cameras, this lens is almost perfect for most kinds of shooting.

Every so foten, I had to spend time tweaking the contrast of my images when I’m shooting this lens against a bright light source. The lens just couldn't handle flare control and it’s typical for a lens at its age.

However, as the nature of my work is mostly events and shooting fast-phased subjects, I find myself using the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 a lot more than this. One might wonder: how losing that extra stop of light would affect my work? Well, to be honest it doesn't affect much. All I need is just half a stop of higher ISO, and another half a stop of slower shutter speed to balance up the exposure; coupled with my Speedlight, I soon realise that I’m more worried about missing the shot and composition, than missing that one stop of light or bokeh (background blur)

Also worth noting is the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 prime here has an extra more reach if compared to the Tamron 17-50mm at 50mm. At 50mm, the images with my Tamron feels a bit wider, making it look closer to the view of a true 50mm on a full frame lens. Maybe that is what Tamron was trying to achieve.
reviewer#11804 date: May-1-2014
compared to:Sony 50mm f1.8
price paid:50 €
Nice colors
Very light

negative:Not very good build
comment:I paid only 50€ for this lens and its one of my favorite. I use it for portraits only. It is really value for money.
reviewer#11802 date: May-1-2014
compared to:other primes
price paid:70 CHF
positive:Everything
negative:nothing
comment:a bit less sharp than the 50 1.4 with almost 1/3 its price.
the best prime for its $ value
reviewer#11788 date: Apr-24-2014
Min 200mm f2.8 HS APO
Min 400mm f4.5 HS APO
price paid:90.00 New
positive:Color
Almost zero distortion and CA.
negative:Soft at f1.7 to f2.8

comment:At f5.6 to f16 the 50mm f1.7 is really a sharp landscape lens so if its bright and sunny this is the lens I still use, you will not have a any problems with purple fringing with this lens it is as good as it gets, its also a good little family portrait lens at f2.8 to f4, if you need a 50mm lens for low light buy the Sony Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.4 planar its the best I have ever used in a 50mm lens in low light and the highest priced. The 50mm f1.7 and the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 make a great team!!!
reviewer#11782 date: Apr-19-2014
- Build
- Sharp
negative:- Color effect
- Bookeh
comment:Had this lens for a long time, its an early sample with the best mechanical gearing. Really put in effort to like it, but except build and price, it never made it for me. Pictures with this lens had a distinct color cast, like Konica film and seemed almost too sharp. Bookeh is not great. I finally sold this lens after acquiring a Minolta 50 1.4 RS, which is more to my taste (on FF).
reviewer#11778 date: Apr-19-2014
compared to:Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Minolta 70-210 f4
price paid:$70 used
positive:-Build
-Price
-Sharpness
negative:-Flare, though it's not much of an issue.
comment:My favorite lens. For the price, you can't beat the sharpness of this little guy. Flare could be an issue for some, but personally I have not had any problem with it. This is the perfect lens for a new photographer on a budget.
reviewer#11575 date: Jan-2-2014
compared to:Minolta 50/2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Sony 16-50 2.8
Sony 35 1.8
Minolta 35-105 3.5-4.5
price paid:$70usd, used
positive:Great value. Fast aperture. Great colors.
negative:A bit soft, especially in the corners. Not great contrast. Had sticky aperture on 1 copy.
comment:While it's a great value to get a good copy for around $50-$70, it under performs other prime lenses and the newest of zoom lenses.
The Tamron 17-50 and Sony 16-50 are both sharper corner to corner, at 2.8 then the Minolta is at the same aperture.
On APS-C, the Sony 35 1.8 is a more useful focal length, and is sharper.
On full frame, if you don't absolutely need the 1.7 aperture, the 50mm 2.8 macro is a much much sharper lens and still quite affordable (under $200 used).

For a beginner looking to improve on the kit lens without spending much, this is a great addition. If you absolutely need a fast aperture/low light lens, this is nice to have in your bag. But there is a long list of lenses that will out-perform at 50mm, though most are 2.8 aperture, and none are as cheap as this.
So an absolutely great value, but once you start investing in better lenses, this will sit in your closet.
reviewer#11502 date: Nov-27-2013
compared to:100mm 3.5 Soligor
price paid:100 € used
positive:Light, little, sharp
negative:Not razor sharp at 1.7, ok from ~2.2
comment:Nice lens for it's price, but on APS-C I still prefer 35 mm.
reviewer#11430 date: Nov-4-2013
Well built
Identical to the more expensive 1.4
negative:Purple fringing
Soft wide open until f2.8
Flare control not the best
comment:This lens is essentially identical in performance to the Minolta 50mm 1.4, except for the loss of a third stop of light. It's sharp, which it should be for a prime lens, but it's nothing special. The Sony 35mm 1.8 more or less destroys it, but it also costs much more compared to a used 50mm.
reviewer#11429 date: Nov-3-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:my first lens and first dslr so i have nothing to compare it to.
price paid:80gbp
positive:beautiful colours, if this is what old minolta af lenses do then i shall want many more of them.
solidly built.
extremely easy for a beginner to achieve photos with a very pleasing finish.

negative:none that i can think of.
comment:i'm a total novice and had this lens on a used a-230 for a few months now and taken thousands of portrait shots at home in brightish daylight and a few occasional photos of the cat when he sits still for long enough.
for the portrait shots bright colours have come out so vivid they seem to radiate from the screen while softer colours and skintones have a gorgeous almost pastel kind of finish and i've only needed to resort to the occasional tweek of exposure level or temperature using the sony software.
and the photos of the cat have left me pretty much speechless at the detail and colour.
i now spend way too much time playing with the camera when i should be doing other stuff.
i personally love shallow DOF and this lens can certainly achieve that in a nice way wide open. i rarely use it stopped down smaller (or should that be higher?) than 3.2.
definitely sharp enough for my liking when focusing on the cats eyes from a couple of metres away.
it's done everything i've asked it to on the camera i have and i certainly think i picked a fabulous lens to start off with.
reviewer#11379 date: Oct-10-2013
compared to:Minolta 100mm 2.8 macro
Minolta 50mm 1.4 Rokkor (with film)
Minolta 50mm f2 MD (with film)
Pentax 50mm 1.7SMC-M (with film)
Sony 16-50 2.8
Sony 18-70 3.5/5.6
price paid:long forgotten
positive:compact, light.
negative:nothing
comment:My first AF prime lens, acquired around 1990. I found it's performance (with film) disappointing compared to the manual focus lenses I'd used previously but held onto it for it's fast max aperture.

I wouldn't call this lens sharp, but It has a pleasing "softness" that makes it very suitable for portraits on APS-c, especially in soft natural light and it seems to give a flattering glow (I'm quite sure there's no bloom in my copy). It can capture an incredible amount of detail in harder light ( not so flattering for portraits).

I noticed that this lens coupled with the a100 set at iso 800 would give an almost film like grainy quality which I've not been able to reproduce with the a77. I expect there's a technical explanation beyond my limited knowlege.

Unlike other reviewers I quite like the dinky built in hood.
reviewer#11294 date: Aug-5-2013
Min 28-135mm
Min 35-70mm (1985)
Min 35-105mm (1985)
Min 70-210mm (Beercan)
Min 100-200mm (Little Beercan)
price paid:40-70 USD
positive:Price
Sharpness
IQ
Build quality
1.7 Speed
Low distortion
negative:Buy a lens shade!
comment:I have four copies of this lens. I don't know why (maybe I was trying to find a bad one - I didn't). I have the 1.4 as well, so why keep one of these, much less four? Again, I don't know. I do know that I love these lenses and I feel compelled to add my praise in spite of probably legitimate shortcomings found by others.

Before digital, my favorite lens was an 85mm 1.4 Canon lens. On APS-C this lens is a 75mm 1.7! For under 100 bucks you can have a 75mm 1.7 that is very sharp through the entire range. I don't get nit-picky with charts and all the tests made by professional lens testers. I test 2 ways and I don't look hard for negatives, but for positives and the intangibles, and for overall results against other lenses. As I think is evident, I have put the 1.7 up against some pretty good competition.

I love this lens. For portraits, it is sometimes too sharp and I have to soften in PP. The very shallow DOF has to do with physics and not individual lenses of the same size, focused at the same distance, and at the same f-stop. If one wants greater DOF one either closes down or backs up.

I don't do a lot of street shooting any more so my only comment is that when it comes to isolating a subject, 1.7 to 3.5 will do fine, but this lens has the intangibles that only show up on the screen or on paper. The color transitions are seamless and the B&W gray scale is pretty close to perfect. Only my 100mm 2.8 is better.

Portraiture is a similar experience as far as the intangibles are concerned. Contrast ratios are sensational as are the transitions. Wrap-around lighting (when done right) is so seamless you can almost feel (as in touch) it. I favorably compare this lens with the legendary Leitz 50mm 2.0 Summicron in contrast ratio. I used that lens for many years and I think the 1.7 is that good.

Landscapes are not a really strong suit for this lens on an APS-C format, but given a scale broad enough, it's super and on FF it is a true delight. Color renditions are outstanding, not just brilliant (Minolta), but also subtle.

My conclusion is that this lens, in the hands of someone who truly appreciates what a small, fast, outstanding quality lens can do and couples that with an outstanding sensor and electronic transmission to that sensor, this terrific 50mm lens is all one needs. I think that this lens may be the biggest bang for the buck in photography today.
reviewer#11274 date: Jul-28-2013
compared to:Sony 50 f1.8
price paid:52 GBP used
positive:Sharp above f2.8
Minolta colour
negative:Built in hood - ineffective
Soft at f1.7
Edges soft up to f5.6
comment:I prefer the Sony 50 f1.8 which is centrally sharper at apertures below f2.8.

All my previous samples of the Minolta have been soft at f1.7, the best achieving good central sharpness at f2.2.

Nonetheless great IQ above f4 with wonderful Minolta colours
reviewer#11191 date: Jun-12-2013
positive:Sharpnes,build quality
negative:Lens hood is build-in and is small.
comment:It's my primary lens, you can find on ebay in good condition. You definitely need to buy a 49mm lens filter, maybe UV because the first element doesn't rotate on focus.
Tested on A57 works eve better on a Minolta Maxxum 7000
Excellent Minolta color
Fast
Almost Perfect
negative:so far NONE!
comment:With the use of macro extension tubes this lens shines even close up(think less then 3"). It is so far one of my favorite lenses.
reviewer#11028 date: Apr-10-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Minolta 3.5-5.6/28-80 (D)
Sony SAL 2.8/28
price paid:230 D-Marks
positive:much cheaper than the 1.4/50 of Sony (Minolta) and not really worse.
comment:I have this lens since 1999. It is my trusted low-light companion and I would not know how to criticize it for anything. Great for free-hand shots at night with my A850.
Lens and I are buddies, won't hear a bad word about from me ;-)
reviewer#10998 date: Mar-27-2013
compared to:Nothing.
price paid:unknown
positive:Great build quality (will clarify below), good image, sharp, fast and of course, the opening.
negative:can't think of one right now
comment:This is my favourite lens. I use it extensively for my indoor black-and-white photography of bands and their audience.

The good max-opening of 1.7 gives me the freedom of using the light I have at the venue to get a great moodshot every time. I can leave the flashunit at home most of the times.

The lens is sturdy. Any and all complaints about plastic is just BS.. I was in France last year, trying to get some shots of an old watermill. I climbed onto the outlet-pipe of the facility and decided I wanted to change lenses. I screwed this one off, replaced it with the kitlens on my A-100 and put the 50mm in my jacket-pocket. While squatting, the lens fell out of my pocket, tumbled down the concrete pipe into the shallow part of the river. I scrambled for the lens, picked it up, and let the water drip out.

Back in the appt., I took a bag of rice, put it in a bowl, put the lens in, covered it up and let it sit there for 2 days. After that, all I had to do was make sure there was no more rice in the lens, screw it on the camera and continued shooting. No damage, no watermarks, nothing. It just works.

reviewer#10993 date: Mar-26-2013
price paid:35 euro
positive:obiettivo molto luminoso, molto rapido, ottima costruzione, colori eccezionali
negative:il bagliore di controllo è stato trattato poco
comment:veramente un bell'obiettivo!!i colori sono quelli storici dei minolta anni 80, è rapidissmo, compatto e ben costruito!per i primi piani è veramente ottimo! se si riesce a trovare a meno di 60 euro è un vero affare!
reviewer#10907 date: Feb-3-2013
compared to:N/A
Lightweight
Affordable/Value
Fast AF
Compact
negative:Hood is useless
comment:Nice lens. Great for portraits. Very affordable. Good for low-light conditions.
reviewer#10862 date: Jan-20-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Kit lens 18-55mm.
price paid:€80
positive:Really sharp and nice focus control. Solid construction and worked instantly with my SLT A57.
negative:The 50mm at an APS-C needs some more distance due to the crop factor.
comment:Really good lens, my first prime actually. My intention with it was to use wider apertures, see how I could get nice bokeh effects easier, besides use it inverted to macro photography. I'd like to have paid a bit less for it, like 60 euros, but for 80 was still acceptable.
reviewer#10855 date: Jan-15-2013
compared to:Minolta 50mm f/1.4
Minolta 35-70mm f/4
Minolta 70-210mm f/4 (beercan)
Sony Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8
Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
positive:light and compact
negative:filter diameter
comment:Nice little lens. You can't go wrong for the price! It works great on both APSC and Full Frame. Love the build quality vs the new Sony 50mm 1.8. The metal mount is a good thing! The built in lens hood is a bit of a joke, but I still find myself pulling it out and using it.
reviewer#10771 date: Dec-10-2012
price paid:90€
positive:Bokeh
Sharp wide open
quite fast af
comment:very useful lens for portraits, products and just everything else. i have sold my minolta 50/3.5 macro, as i dont do macros at all, and replaced it with this 50/1.7. Will maybe someday upgrade to a 50/1.4.
reviewer#10760 date: Dec-7-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:SAM 35mm 1.8, SAM 18 55, Minolta 24 85 RS, Minolta Beercan 70 210 f4. Canon 50 1.8, Nikon 50 1.8 G,D.
price paid:70EUR
positive:Good Sharpness
Minolta Color
Good Build
Good distortion control (which is normal for a 50mm)
negative:Flare control is bad, typical for film era lens.
Manual focus ring is thin and undamped.
comment:This is one of the most impressive 50mm f1.7/1.8 lenses I've ever used. Believe me because I am a 50mm fanatic.

I love the optics performance of this lens more than its Ni/Ca counterpart. This lens is sharper than Canon's, better bokeh (Seriously, 5 blades??). I think it's also sharper than Nikon's, and also with smoother bokeh, Nikon's has outline highlight.

The weakpoints of this lens is Flare control, it's an old time lens so of course... Sometime ghost and haze make this lens appear to be less contrasty thus less sharper than other 50mm. And also that tiny manual ring which can only beat Canon's 50mm and Sony's 35mm...
reviewer#10680 date: Nov-10-2012
relatively cheap
great color
negative:Its not the 1.4
Its not a D lens
(8 just seems better than 5)
comment:1st of all I'm a newbie, I've only had my camera for less than a week and I'm trying out different lenses.

I have tried 5 lenses so far and this one is my favorite by far. I recommend everyone to pick this one up. I'm sure the 1.4 is better I just couldn't justify spending that much on a single lens with my experience level.

The case is plastic, but its a very nice build quality. I actually like the older ones better than the new ones and the Sony 1.8 (build quality wise).

At 1.7 & 2.0 I had no problem taking handheld pictures in a dimly lit room with no flash. I have the Sony A55 and had no problems taking continuous pictures with Auto focus.
reviewer#10602 date: Oct-18-2012
compared to:Rokkor 50mm 1.4
Canon 50mm 1.8 EFII
Tamron 90mm macro
Sony 35mm 1.8
Sony 20mm 2.8
Sony 28mm 2.8
Sony 16-105mm
price paid:70 USD (used-mint)
positive:Lightweight
Nicely built
Quick and silent AF
negative:No so sharp WO
Veiling haze
Color fringe
comment:Bought it in mint condition from a fellow dyxumer with minolta caps and filter.
For me the benchmark of sharpness is the tammy macro.
The benchmark for a cheap and good 50mm is the Canon.
This lens never achieves the level of sharpness of the lenses above at any aperture.
This lens is sharp in the center and borders when stopped down to 2.8 and improves little after that.
Wide open, it shows a veiling haze and strong blue fringe. It improves when stopping down, but you can never get completely rid of it.
Nice lens for portraits.
Not good for low light because of the issues above described.
reviewer#10596 date: Oct-15-2012
fast focus
small
value for money
negative:flare can be bad
comment:I was lucky to buy this lens, attached to a Minolta 5000 with a minolta skylight filter attached to it. The lens can be sharp from 1.7 ( counting eyelashes ), if you get the focus right, with the tiny DOF linked to that aperture.
I also like the focussing, which in my opinion is faster than the sony 55-200 SAM & on par with the minolta 35-105 old.
My favourite workhorse low light lens, ideal for candid kids portraits, combined with the burst speed & low shutter noise of the A55. highly recommended. I'm hoping to compare it with a 50 1.4 soon ( when it arrives ).
reviewer#10593 date: Oct-15-2012
positive:Built
sharpness
price (used)
negative:Hood is just for show
comment:great pictures come out of this little lens. even beginners can produce great shots. I highly recommend getting one for your lens collection. If you are slowly transitioning form point and shoot to DSLR/SLT then get this lens. it's a plus it Works with sony alpha mounts.
reviewer#10569 date: Oct-6-2012
positive:
comment:ottimo obiettivo minolta super consigliato
reviews found: 393    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>