Minolta AF 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 D A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 41    1 2 >>
reviewer#10310 date: Jun-19-2012
compared to:80-200mm f/2.8 HS APO
positive:Cheap, light, disposable. Good bokeh.
negative:CA and speed were the only negatives I experienced
comment:Despite all the negative ratings you will find for this lens, it is capable of producing good pictures in a controlled environment. It is a great lens for a somewhat bright, overcast day. Produces rich colors with the default settings on a KM 7D and probably outresolves the sensor.

I recommend this lens for travel photography, when you want to keep your kit light and also know the weaknesses of this lens to pull it out when it will perform.

Going over some old pictures taken when I had this lens, close scrutiny reveals that out of focus areas ("bokeh") are nice and creamy wide open. I didn't find an obvious flaw with what I saw.

NOTE: this lens automatically focuses from zero distance to infinity owing to its "Macro" feature, therefore focus hunting can be a frequent problem if multiple surfaces catch its attention.
reviewer#9980 date: Feb-28-2012
compared to:70-210mm f4 Beercan @70 and 210mm
35-70mm f4 @70mm
positive:Sharp at 200mm
Colors are nice.
negative:Not sharp at 75 or 300mm
CA is bad wide open at 300mm
comment:Purchased new in 2005 when I bought my KM 7D.

Tested using an a580 at ISO200 shooting a still life. Images were cropped from 4912x3264 to 493x329 and compared.

@75mm the lens is solidly in last place compared to the 35-70 (sharpest) and 70-210 (nearly as good) at all f=stops, both center and edge.

200mm - at f5.6 a little softer than the beercan, but at f8 it's a toss up. At f11 the 75-300 is sharper. Blasphemy! But also true.

300mm - at f5.6 the image is soft with some serious purple fringing. The CA gets better at f8 and f11 but still present.

Colors are a lot like the beercan, as expected.

I did not test for flare, but the CA leads me to think it may not be good at 300mm.

Conclusion: Disappointing at 75 and 300, but surprising sharpness at 200mm, f8 and f11. I've mainly used this as a wildlife lens, nearly always at 300mm, and the results have often been disappointing. Now I see why.
reviewer#9896 date: Feb-6-2012
compared to:Minolta 100-300 APO D
Tamron 70-300 USD
Sony 55-200 SAL55200-2
Cosina / Vivitar 100-400 4.5-6.7
price paid:150 usd (new) + 30 usd shipping & tax
positive:Good, acceptable wide-open sharpness across the zoom range, light, cheapest full frame telephoto lens. ADI compatible
negative:CA can be abysmal in high contrast scenes, bokeh is fine but not outstanding, plasticky build
comment:This is a fine choice for beginners' telephoto zoom. And the cheapest full frame telephoto. Nothing outstanding but good enough to produce results you want.

My copy is a silver one which has nice finish but feels quite plasticky in hand and seems scratch prone. Sharpness is surprisingly good wide open across 75-300mm range. Although the image will look dull and low contrast when approaching 300mm end. Many suggested it's best to stick to 75-200 range. Compared to Minolta 100-300 APO D, that one needs stopping down hard from f8 onwards to get good sharpness but it produces much better contrast and punchy images.

The colors of this lens is not rich, warm and deep like the original Minolta, looks more like modern Sony lens. So nothing outstanding here. Minolta 100-300 APO outshines in this department.

Auto Focus works well in normal situations. It's accurate and dependable. Much better than Minolta 100-300 APO. Focus does hunt in low contrast but it's not worse than tele zoom in this price range. If you're looking for AF performance in this range, consider Sony 70-300G and Tamron 70-300 USD with ultra sonic drive.

The worse thing about this lens that made me go look for Minolta 100-300 APO and Tamron 70-300 USD is Chromatic Aberration or purple fringing that can be so strong and abyssal. Easily noticeable even when scaling down images. This problem doesn't show in overcasting days but in bright day light, it's so bad in contrasty areas in the images. Big dilemma is since the lens is slow, you need good light and high shutter speed to reduce blur. However the CA is so bad in bright light and it produces better images in shade but then the shutter speed isn't high enough and need to raise ISO which affects IQ. Minolta 100-300 wins in this regard.

Overall, this lens performs well for its price. Nothing outstanding but good enough when you learn its limitations and avoid its flaws. It's worth considering if you don't do much telephoto works. A better option than Sony 55-200 if considering its longer range and compatibility with full frame. However for mobility, I would carry lighter and smaller 55-200 to use with APSC camera.

If I expect to shoot under hot bright noon as it often is in Thailand, I would reach out for Minolta 100-300 APO for its better colors, contrast, and no CA. Sharpness is not a problem because I can stop down hard in bright light. For serious works, I consider Tamron 70-300 USD or Sony 70-300 G.

See my photos with Minolta 75-300 f4.5-5.6 D on my Flickr collection at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeispixels/collections/72157628204412995/
reviewer#9678 date: Dec-7-2011
positive:Sharp enough
Minolta colour
Effective Hood
Lightweight
negative:Poor AF, especially in low light
Feels and looks cheap - although it is!!
comment:The ratings are correct - this is the worse of the bunch of Minolta 75-300s - BUT my copy isn't that bad.
Usably sharp wide open across the range, it sharpens up with stopping down without ever achieving the excellent sharpness of the Big Beercan or New lenses. I may have a good copy and the reviews below suggest big variations between individual samples.

Very poor autofocus. Some PF at longer focal lengths.

Seems more comfortable when used for close up subjects.

Conclusion - good value for money if on a tight budget but the 75-300 New wont cost a lot more.
reviewer#9157 date: Jun-19-2011
compared to:Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Sony 18-70mm Kit lens
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5
Tamron 55-200mm AF F4-5.6
price paid:150€ Used.
positive:-Sharp up to 200mm.
-Long Range.
-Cheap second hand.
negative:-Losing sharpness above 200mm.
-F5.6 at the far end.
-Generally softer than the Sony/Tamrons.
comment:That was my Zoom lens back when I had the Sony a100.
Built to last.It s been used under rain/dust and
after a good cleaning it was and still is as new!
You could find it cheap as a second hand buy and its
range is amazing.Too bad its so soft especially wide
open.The Sony a100 s resolution didnt help things too.
Its a dependable affordable all around zoom lens,
but dont expect miracles!
N.
reviewer#7707 date: Jul-22-2010
compared to:Sigma 70-300dg
positive:Love this len,s i had the sigma 70-300dg before and this is far better ,light sharp stopped down abit nice colour , good lens
negative:Hunts like hell poor af ,other than that its ace .
comment:I use this on my sony a380 i had the sigma 70-300dg before and this is far far better , lighter sharper and give better colour and alot less cro/ab.The sigma kicks ass on the macro front i do miss that alot,but on the whole the minolta is a superb len,s and i dont think in the price range for a 75-300mm zoom you will find a sharper one . My mate has the shockinly poor tamron 70-300 the cro/ab and flair are nasty ,if you must buy a new lens for your sony , get the 75-300 sal its this rebaged ,or the sigma ,the tamron is awfull.Id recomend this len,s all day long to anyone on a budget,its a good zoom even stays quite sharp at 300mm ,i tend to use mine around the f8 mark or above but will retune a nice image at f5.6 upto 200mm.Anyway under £100 its a very good len,s.As for the poor af manual focus it works a treat nice big focus ring on it too ,JOB DONE .
reviewer#7564 date: Jun-13-2010
positive:cheap
fairly sharp
beautiful bokeh
negative:has cheap feel to it
slow auto focus
washed out color zoomed in
comment:
reviewer#7521 date: Jun-1-2010
compared to:Sony 70-300G SSM
price paid:40 UKP (new)
positive:Cheap lens which can occasionally deliver a surprise.
negative:Soft at longer focal lengths. You have to work within its limits.
comment:No complaints because this isn't a high end zoom. I've been surprised by how well it can perform under good conditions up to about 210-225mm if you can stop it down to F8. It's light weight and not a big deal to carry around in your bag just in case.
reviewer#7014 date: Mar-6-2010
compared to:Minolta 100-200
price paid:$85 USD
positive:Lightweight, great reach on C format, inexpensive.
I think it is optically the same as the new Sony 75-300
negative:Very slow AF, esp in low light, loud, 5.6 comes up real quick results much better stopped down to F8 or more. Bokeh at 5.6 can be very bad at longer focal lengths.
comment:Bought this used from a local shop just for giggles, expected it to be junk from the many lukewarm reviews I have read.
Pleasantly surprised...I like it. The 300 reach on my A700 brings things in real close and is a lot of fun. I have the 100-200 which I bought new and love but the results from this lens, tho clearly not as good were not awful. Hopefully I will get in some birding and sports shooting tho the AF is slow and the lens is very loud, might even drive the birds away :)
- - -
All in all for short money not a bad lens, I am very surprised. The build is ok, it has a sturdy metal mount. I like it and fully expect to have a lot of fun with it tho I will grab a big beercan at some point - then this can go to my kid so she can have fun with it too! Beware bad bokeh at small apertures with zoom fully extended. Can be downright nasty!
reviewer#6907 date: Feb-13-2010
compared to:Various Sony, Sigma, M42
positive:Very good close focus, good zoom range
negative:IQ gets flat as you near 300mm, max aperture goes to f/5.6 quickly
comment:Mine is black, not silver. It is a very versatile zoom lens. Both build and IQ are a huge step up from the 18-70 kit lens, although nobody is going to mistake this for a fixed-focal-length prime.

The main problem is what happens as you zoom long. Maximum aperture becomes f/5.6 really early and contrast seems to go down pretty dramatically as you approach 300mm. Not exciting.

On the other hand, it is perfectly usable, even wide open, and focuses to a surprisingly close distance. It is hard to complain for the price. It also is pretty easy to carry in a small camera bag, so you'll have it when you need it.

In fact, my initial kit was a Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, and this... and it took more than a year before I added to that set. I still think that's a well-balanced set, just a little weak in the 18-70. Yeah, the Sigma costs more than the other two combined, but ultrawide zooms are optically complex enough that you need to spend some money to get them right.

Update: I'm finding myself using this lens much less since getting a beercan. The beercan's better IQ and f/4 is quickly making this a lens I use only when the beercan is too big or I need 300mm.
reviewer#6678 date: Jan-4-2010
compared to:big beercan
beercan
Jupiter 21M (M42 200 mm f4.0)
Jupiter 37A (M42 135 mm f3.5)
price paid:100€
positive:Fast AF for outdoor sport photo
Decent sharpness
Decent color
light
negative:Decent IQ
comment:This zoom came with the D5D double kit.
I was happy with it for sailing and windsurf (high wind) shots
Because teh AF speed is excellent in good light
The big beercan produce better image quality in all aspects
reviewer#6410 date: Nov-18-2009
compared to:Minolta zoom xi 80-200
Sony kit lens (18-70)
price paid:20000 HUF (70 euro)
positive:good build
extremely sharp close-ups
range (up to 300mm)
comment:I bought a used one from an old Minolta kit for my Sony Alpha 200 and was surpirsed by the huge difference there was between the image quality of this lens and the Sony kit lens. I love this one and wish I could use it also instead of the kit lens (the range doesn't allow for that).
reviewer#4830 date: Feb-10-2009
compared to:Minolta 70-210/4 beercan
Minolta 300/4
Sony 500/8 Reflex
price paid:NZD 175 (used)
positive:ADI functionality
Light to carry
negative:Sucks in dust
Silver is conspicuous
comment:This lens is a decent budget-level long telephoto. You won't be thrilled by the photos and you won't be crushed with disappointment.

Not good, not bad, just mediocre. Nice for snapshots if you aren't printing big photos and want extra reach.

I much preferred the using the beercan to this lens.
reviewer#4476 date: Dec-6-2008
compared to:sal1870
sal16105
price paid:66 euro! (mint)
positive:Cheap and light!
surprisingly fast AF
great minolta colours
Very sharp stopped down
negative:nothing, considering the price!
comment:For this price, nothing can beat this lens! I used it om my Alpha 300. I was really surprised when I bought this lens. VERY sharp in daylight, sharp at night stopped down. Even without flash it gives more than average results indoors! Awesome minolta colours (blows away the sal 1870 kitlens here).
VERY fast and smooth AF. Only at 280-300 it can hunt a bit, and you need to zoom out and back in. No problem for me.
A bit slow, goes to 5.6 very quick, but this is normal for a non prime tele. Feels a bit cheap because it is in plastic.
Don't know why it gets bad reviews. You can not compare this lens with a prime. Maybe I got lucky and got a great copy. A must have if you do not have the money to buy a prime....but then again, does an amateur really need a prime?
reviewer#4391 date: Nov-15-2008
compared to:Tamron 70-300
positive:- Good range
- Light
- Sharp at shorter focal lengths
negative:- Soft wide open at longer focal lengths
- Some CA issues at the longer focal lengths
- Slow AF
comment:I picked this up on clearance from Circuit City for $60. It is a decent lens especially in the 70-200 range. Build quality is OK. Better CA control than the Tamron but that isn't saying much.
reviewer#4241 date: Oct-14-2008
compared to:Sony 70-200/2.8 G
price paid:Ł130 (new)
positive:Cheap lens with good range.
Performs better than you think stopped down.
Not too heavy to carry around.
negative:Its a budget lens, so not great.
Quality suffers wide open, which is a problem at the 300mm end.
Not designed for digital as far as I am aware.
comment:My version of this lens I have had for around 8 years, bought new to use with my film body at the time (2xi).

This lens is a great deal for the price, especially with the current second hand prices. Its not comparable to the more expensive lens's, but for someone new to Alpha mount wanting a longer zoom than the kit lens this lens is a good buy.

The quality is not superb, but for the price its very good, and with film I have had many happy years of shooting before I was fortunate enough to upgrade to a G lens.
reviewer#3434 date: Apr-6-2008
compared to:Beercan.
positive:Inexpensive.
negative:Not very sharp at 300mm
Purple fringes.
Build quality.
comment:An inexpensive zoom lens, I purchased it because I wanted the 300mm focal length. It can be quite sharp when stopped down, but more often than not, I have been disappointed. The beercan is better, but only goes to 210.
reviewer#3355 date: Mar-13-2008
compared to:28-70/2,8G
70-210/4
100/2
positive:price, colourful colours, light, nice hood
negative:plastic body, dust sucking when zooming, bokeh
comment:A nice budget lense. Colour contrast good enough for price. Medium sharpness. Needs to be used carefully in bad weather, because wetness and dust get inside when zooming takes place. Ugly bokeh doesn't allow getting really good pictures.
reviewer#3032 date: Dec-4-2007
compared to:Sigma 70-300 APO DG
Minolta 70-210 F4
price paid:275 cdn new
positive:Compact.
55mm filter size.
Entry level telephoto.
negative:Slow, jumps to slowest aperature F5.6 quickly.
Rotating front element.
Average entry level telephoto performer.
Lack of a true macro feature.
comment:This lense is an average performer, as an entry level telephoto lens. It's the same lens as the Sony 75-300mm kit lens. It's fairly well made, and takes reasonably sharp pictures. It's biggest handicap is it's speed. It' jumps to it's slowest aperature speed of F5.6 by about 120mm, compared to a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG, which reaches F5.6 at 220mm, in the same price range. It's minimum focusing distance is called a macro, which it is not. It's really it's closest focus distance magnificaton 1/4, compared to Sigma & Tamrons macro 1/2 magnification.
reviewer#2675 date: Aug-30-2007
compared to:Sony 18-70 kit lens
price paid:Ł65 (used)
positive:Nice carry around lens
Sharp wide open up to 200mm
AF ok, manual focus good too
Compact when in the bag
negative:Soft at 300mm
PF with high contrast especially at 300mm
Zoom ring too tight
comment:Purchased on ebay to use with new A100, for Ł65 plus postage my example was boxed as new. It has the full 8 contacts, hence the 'D' label. Initially I was a little disappointed with this lens but with a bit of PP effort it can turn in quite creditable results, even when wide open. At full zoom however, it needs to be stopped down a bit for best results and even then you have to watch for PF. Other forms of CA are just about non-existent though. As a stopgap until I can get a macro lens I've been using a Canon 500D close up lens with a stepping ring to shoot butterflies, and at 150-200mm zoom it's taken some surprisingly good photos with very smooth bokeh. Usefully, I have been able to coax accurate AF out of very cluttered backgrounds.

Edit: After taking further pictures with this lens I became convinced that it was rather soft at 300mm but at 200mm there was a very good 'sweet spot'. So I spent an hour shooting test photos of the back fence with the A100 on a tripod and SSS turned off. Tested wide open, F8 and F11. I didn't test at smaller apertures because of digital refraction effects.
The result is as follows:
At 75mm it's soft wide open, good at F8, tailing off again at F11.
At 135mm it's good at the three tested apertures.
At 210mm It's good at the three tested apertures with that suspected sweet spot at F8. I knew it!
At 300mm the detail was actually there, but it looked soft at all tested apertures. And even on my boring old wooden fence there was a little purple stuff at the edges.
A bit of PP work with some unsharp mask on the raw images can bring the detail in at 300mm. However, it flares at the drop of a hat at this focal length, losing contrast so easily with distant subjects. But if you can tempt the wildlife a little closer, the bokeh is first class and you can turn in some very nice pictures. I think I'll love and hate this lens alternatively.
reviewer#2485 date: Jun-28-2007
compared to:Minolta AF 70-210
Sony 18-70 Lens kit
Cosina 100mm 3.5 macro
price paid:150EUR "new"
positive:Cheap!!
Very sharp stoped down a bit
Nice colors
Feels robust
negative:It should be stoped down a bit for best results
comment:A cheap zoom, great for nature and outdoor photos.
You can get nice results with this lens.

Photo samples:
reviewer#2358 date: May-26-2007
compared to:Baby Beer Can
Sigma 28-200D
positive:Very good resolution at f/8.
Not bad results wide open.
Pleasing near-macro photos.
Light and compact enough.
negative:Considering the price - nonthing.
comment:I have tested this, and the lenses listed, using the Koren, 2003, (5mm) test charts to determine the resolution based on the MTF-50 criterion. Two of the sine-wave, test, strips; one horizontal near the center of the frame, and the other, diagonal, very close to the corner of the frame. The tests were made with a KM5D, hand held, image stabilization “on”, ISO 100, in bright sunlight so that the shutter speed was quick enough to satisfy the reciprocal of the focal length criterion. Results: (focal length/f-stop/lines per inch on an 8” x 12” print at center/ditto-at corner). (300/8/128/63), (300/5.6/97/38), (75/8/119/65), (75/4.5/108/61). My understanding of photo resolution quality is: >150 lpi=excellent, >110 lpi=very good, >80 lpi=good. I have some very nice 8” x 12” prints from this lens at 300 mm as well as macros of flowers. While not up to the Beer Can, or the Sigma, it produces very good results at f/8. I wonder if this lens, the 75-300 (New), and the 75-300II are all the same optically. The physical specs suggest they are. More details on this and other lenses can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/royanddee/lens_test_results_mtf50.htm
reviewer#1915 date: Mar-6-2007
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Minolta AF 70-210 F4 (beercan)
Cosina 100 F3.5 Macro
Sigma EX DG 85 F1.4 HSM
price paid:[gift]
positive:Price
Nice bokeh
Long reach
Metal mount
D lens -> v. good with flash
Better MF control than older AF lenses
"makes you look like a pro" (friend's comment)
negative:Softish
Purple fringing
Focus hunting in indoor light levels or less when zoomed in.
comment:Nice and lightweight, but doesn't feel cheap. Pleasant colours and good for portraits on sunny days. No problems for MF. Much less CA than the beercan wide open, but soft nonetheless and evident purple fringing, e.g. on flash shots. The softness persists beyond f/8 at longer f-lengths: would recommend f/11 for 300 mm. Hampered by small aperture ratio at the long end, it hunts a lot, especially in low light / indoors.

At 10 MP, cropped beercan shots from 210mm had more detail than uncropped 300 mm shots from this lens.

Hmmm, a bit of a toy lens, but you get what you pay for!
reviewer#1847 date: Feb-17-2007
positive:Cheap Price
Some very sharp photos at 300
Nice DOF at 300
negative:A little tough on focus
Not too usefull on Macro
comment:This was one of the Kit lenses for my maxxum 5 and it has become one of my favorite lenses on the 5d. I love how sharp the photos are at 300mm for a kit lens. I am buying a sigma 70-300 APO for my sister and I will update this to compare the two when I get it. I think it is a great lens for the price.
reviewer#1556 date: Dec-22-2006
compared to:Sigma 28-200
Sigma 24-135
KM 18-70
price paid:$129 new
positive:A good long range zoom
Not real expensive
Can be sharp is stepped down
negative:Plastic mount
Kind of cheap build
Not real sharp @ 300
comment:This is the longest lens I have or can afford at this time. I use it for wildlife photos and it does OK. It would be nice to get something with more reach, but this lens is light enough to carry on long hikes. It can be quite sharp in the right light. Well worth the cost.
reviewer#1276 date: Oct-6-2006
compared to:AF DT 18-70
positive:Nice bokeeh, fairly sharp however not at maximum focal length
negative:Not so fast, lot of focus hunting, slow focus
comment:My first lens review. I only have two lenses so far, the 18-70 and the 75-300. Hope soom to expand with 50mm plus a 28-75
reviewer#1199 date: Sep-18-2006
compared to:70-210/4
price paid:nil
positive:Sharp at the wide end
negative:Big time purple fringing
comment:Before I got the kit lens and the 70-210 beercan, I used this lens a lot (over the 50/1.7 and 35-105/3.5-4.5). It's unusually sharp on the wide end and gets softer at the long end. Used it a lot to take snapshots of my kids indoor using onboard flash. Best used from f/6.7 to f/8 when taking bird photos as f/5.6 suffers from a bit of backfocus but I still managed to get descent focus in manual mode.
Compared with the beercan, this lens is a bit warmer - yellow is more emphasized and other colors seems washed out.
On PF - one must be conscious to avoid heavy contrast situations.
I really didn't have the chance to check how it handles flare.
Make sure your visit a thread I started at the forum section:
reviewer#1149 date: Aug-31-2006
compared to:Minolta 70-210 F4
price paid:268 AUD (new)
positive:Sharpness (better than expected)
Good colour
Lightness

negative:No distance scale
Lens shade fiddly to attach/remove
Zoom ring somewhat stiff
Focus could be more precise close up
Feels plasticky compared to the Beercan
comment:I bought this lens shortly after getting my Alpha 100. I already had a Beercan (had it for 16 years, I think) and wanted something longer. I have been very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the images it produces, considering the price. Although the focus does hunt about somewhat as others have said, I have had some success shooting aircraft at an air show and with the image stabilization, I have got sharp moon pictures, hand-held. Focus at close distances can be inaccurate, so it isn't my first choice for macro shooting. The Beercan does it better!
reviewer#1101 date: Aug-21-2006
price paid:120€
positive:Good colour
Good bokeh
Feels sturdy
negative:Not that sharp wide open
Focus hunt in low light
comment:My first tele zoom so nothing to compare to, sorry.
Wide open the lens is not that sharp but if you raise it to f8 the results are nice. Colour and bokeh are pleasing.
In low light some focus hunting occurs, I usually help out with MF and then switch back to AF for the final focus.
For the price I think you get a good starter tele-zoom.
reviewer#1067 date: Aug-6-2006
price paid:€ 145
positive:cheap, good pictures
negative:slow AF, sun cap is not well attached
comment:I think this lens is a good value for money, the photos are good in sharpness. The AF is a bit slow and the sun cap is not well attached.
reviews found: 41    1 2 >>