Minolta AF 80-200mm F2.8 HS APO G A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 89    1 2 3 >>
reviewer#38876 date: Jun-2-2017
compared to:55-200mm DT kit lens
price paid:NZD $1000+taxes
positive:Sharpness, Minolta colours, AF speed, bokeh, relatively compact for an f/2.8 big zoom
negative:Noisy torquey screw-drive AF
comment:This is a damn good lens. I mostly use it indoors on my SLT-A57 to shoot roller derby, but despite the very fast movement in the game and sometimes dreary lighting, it just locks on, focuses near instantly, and lets me freeze the action without needing to push ISO. Bokeh is nice, colours are great classic Minolta, and out at 200mm and f/2.8 subjects take on an almost 3D look. The AF is noisy, and moving from one subject to another you can feel the torque in the screw drive trying to twist the lens, but with the great results I get I'm more than happy to live with that. :)
reviewer#33753 date: Jan-11-2017
compared to:Sigma 70-200mm APO HSM. Zeiss 24-70mm. Zeiss 85mm F1.4. Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM.
price paid:£650.00
positive:G lens. Built to last forever. Sharp everywhere from f3.2
negative:Noisy compared to latest SSM lenses.
comment:This lens is in my humble opinion, better than the Sony 70-200mm F2.8 as it is still tack sharp at 200mm. Louder maybe, but capable of making epic images. It is fast, accurate and well balanced on the A99 and fast and accurate on the A7R with the LA-EA 4 converter.

I can confirm that with a little fettling the Nikon HB-7 lens hood will fit this lens.
reviewer#30684 date: Sep-10-2016
price paid:1600 SGD (Used)
positive:generally sharp throughout and excellent built
negative:Slightly heavy, and hunts a bit
comment:Got this used lens 19 Jan 2013... about 20-years old lens but still a mint copy and enjoyed it thoroughly. Tried on my A350, A77 and A77 MKII, no full-frame camera to experience it. Great lens.
reviewer#27584 date: May-22-2016
compared to:Over 10+ top grade Sony Minolta Alpha lens.
price paid:Resale- cheap
positive:+amazing colours. much richer than Sony 85mm , sony 135mm primes.
+ bokeh rendering out of this world. Rivals the Minolta 200mm f2.8 G lens.
+ sharp sharp sharp
+ size. Much smaller (similar to Sony Fe 70-200mm f4) and much more versatile and wieldable comparing to Sony 70-200mm f2.8 which is monster sized with hood.
negative:- auto focusing loud and you can feel the mechanical movement but it is extremely accurate. 90-95%focus accuracy.
- tripod collar not removable. **see comments**
comment:Bought mine from resale market. I used to own a black version 80-200mm f2.8 7-8 years ago during the Sony A700 era, sold it when I was about to get married back then to focus more on my day job. Now, I finally got this lens back!and this time round a white version instead of black. currently I'm using this on Sony A7s and A7r with la-ea4 adapter. Focus speed is similar to native Alpha bodies.

This white version of 80-200mm is really amazing. The smooth rendering of image outputs is something unique to Minolta G lens and is the main reason why you should get this lens. Unlike sony zeiss , this lens produce rich saturated deep contrast images. Skin tones looks amazing, trees foilage aluring. Not clinically razor sharp unlike modern Sony zeiss lens which every photos produced does not have a character or soul.

The lens is extremely sharp at all focal lengths and wide open f2.8. Stopped down to 3.2 or 4, it's corner to corner sharp. Blown me away on A7s and even on A7r with 36MP, details and resolution are never an issue.

I mounted it on A7R with la-ea4 which works extremely well. A little heavy though since you have to factor in the weight of additional adaptor. And the tripod collar thus became redundant since the la-ea4 has the tripod support as well. In fact I wanted to travel light and smaller on mirroless body. The only way to remove the collar is to break it. I use a pair of metal cutter shears and slowly cut it till it can be removed. Now this lens looks like a fatter version of the Minolta 70-210 beercan.
Weight reduced by around 80-100 grams.

My copy , the optics is close to perfect. Especially lucky as I bought it from a photography collector and not via ebay where bad lemons were dumped all the time. The negatives about this lens are the white paint started to flake and peel. Eventually I managed to fix it by using paint removal alcohol and clean the white paint away. Beneath it ,reveals a stainless steel shiny shell and after polishing it shiby with aerosol, honestly I think it looks way better than a flaking white lens. It does not have any signs of rust at all. Thus the material used to construct this lens must be stainless steel and aluminum.

I personally think this lens carries the soul and the spirit of Minolta photography with it- similar to other Minolta G lens (28-70mm f2.8 and 85mm) that I owned. The images it produces excites and alures me comparing to the modern Sony Zeiss Fe mount lens. The "feel" is just very unique and different.

If Sony Alpha mount series is not dead by another 20 years. I'm sure this lens will still works flawlessly. No stupid SSM or linear focusing motors technology within that makes your lens unrepairable. This lens is built like a steel rock with amazing glass.

Don't use this for video work since the screw AF loud noise will just be plain annoying !
reviewer#24477 date: Jan-25-2016
compared to:• Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200 f:2.8
• Sigma EX 100-300 f:4
• Sony 70-300 G f:4.5-5.6
• Minolta 70-210 f:4 "beercan"
• Minolta 100-300 f:4.5-5.6
price paid:700 EUROS (used)
positive:• Very sharp, even wide open at f:2.8
• AF is very fast and accurate
• Beautiful color rendition
• Amazing bokeh
• Built like a tank
negative:• Can hardly be repaired
• Subject to chromatic aberration (easily fixed in PP)
comment:I tried many lenses before I found this gem but there was always something I did not like. As soon as I began to use the Minolta 80-200 f:2.8, I knew I found the one I was looking for. Sharpness, colors and bokeh are nothing less than outstanding. I mainly use it wide open on full frame bodies (A900 and A850) for concert photography and it does a great job. It does not feel like SSM lenses: when it locks focus, you feel it in your hands! But it is fast! And accurate! It definitely is one of the best lenses I have ever owned and worth every Euro I paid for it.
reviewer#16319 date: Jul-17-2015
-build like a tank
-good micro contrast
-creamy bokeh
negative:-CA
-front element rotate while focusing
-heavy
comment:this is one of the minolta's legacy lens, and a must have lens.
reviewer#16310 date: Jul-16-2015
compared to:Minolta 35-105 original
Sony 70-300G
Sony 70-400G
ZZ 85 1.4
ZA 135 1.8
Sigma 50 1.4 (not the art lens)
price paid:$800 CAN used
positive:Super sharp - even wide open.
Most pleasing colour of all my lenses.
Great bokeh.
Fast focussing.
negative:Focus hit or miss in low light.
Flare control OK, but not as good as newest lenses.
Screw drive focus fairly loud.
comment:This is my most favourite zoom lens. The colours I find truly fabulous for sports and street shooting. Its very sharp with great bokeh. I just love it on my A99 and often elect to forgo wide angle and use it as my main lens for a days outing. (With a Canon G1x for everything else.) I have twice used this for different 2 day events alternating the days with my ZA 135 1.8. Though of course the Zeiss made some special magic, so did the 80-200 2.8. I was equally happy with the images from both lenses. I have owned 2 copies. Both excellent. Highly recommended. If the right deal comes along, I may try out the Sony 70-200 one day.... but I am not at all sure I will choose it after comparing them. ;) I got mine at a screaming deal.. but I think it is worth what they go for. :)
reviewer#14235 date: Apr-29-2015
compared to:Sony 70-200 F/2.8 G SSM
Sony FE 70-200 F/4 G OSS
Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 EX IF
price paid:900$
positive:- Minolta Legends - King of Colors
- wonderful bokeh
- Very nice build quality
- no vignetting and low CA
negative:No AF-D support on A99
comment:Perfect.
reviewer#14233 date: Apr-25-2015
compared to:* Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
* Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO
* Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SP AF Di VC USD
* Minolta 70-210mm f/4 AF "Beercan"
* Minolta 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF "Original"
* Sony 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DT
positive:* Beautiful Bokeh, colour pop and contrast
* Incredibly sharp wide open
* Fast and accurate auto focus
* Tough, built to last build quality
* Lens hood included
* Cheap compared to other 70-200mm f/2.8 lens
* Everything
negative:* Heavy
* Long minimal focus distance
* Auto focus torque and noise
comment:After using the Sigma 85mm 4/1.4 I wanted to try and compliment the lens on the Sony a99 body. Being an older lens, I did not have higher expectations of the Minolta 80-200mm until I took it out for the second time outdoors in natural light shoot in overcast conditions.

Wow!

The lens coatings handled flare with ease and the lens did not have the gold and brownish tinge or prone to loss of contrast than the cheaper first generation Minolta AF lens.

The colours are beautiful and comparable to more modern lens.

The Bokeh is beautiful and more easily accessible compared to the smaller aperture Beercan.

The lens is incredibly sharp wide open and does not show weakness compared to other lens on the Sony a99 - at f/2.8-3.5 I thought I was shooting at the f/5.6 sharpness of a prime lens.

Autofocus speed is one of the fastest I have used.

Lens torque is not as bad as what I thought - a little more than the Beercan however more noticeable due to size and weight. The noise is also noticeable however since it focuses faster than the Beercan it is not as obtrusive.

The minimal focus distance is quite long however for outdoor portraits not much of an issue.

The price, at a 1/3 of other 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, is the icing on the cake.

This is the first lens I have used that I will keep forever.

The perfect keeper lens.
reviewer#12151 date: Feb-26-2015
compared to:Sony 70 200 f2.8 SSM tested
Sigma 70 200 f2.8 HSM tested
Minolta 70 210 f4.0 Beercan
price paid:$1000 Mint Used
positive:Sharp. Lush colors and contrast. Perfect size. Super fast and accurate autofocus.
negative:White finish prone to peeling. CA under certain conditions. MFD can restrictive at times.
comment:This lens feels wonderful in the hand. Quite frankly, it would be great if modern 70-200 f2.8's could be built in same form factor. The size is just right, though I suppose in lens focus motors require more space. I tested two obvious modern alternatives, and found them to look and feel like rocket launchers! Autofocus noise is not bothersome at all, though that may be in my humble opinion only. It's amazing how often I reach for my 80-200 HS and Beercan over more modern lenses in my kit. I like the Macro capability of the Beercan, and it's great for casual shots of my kids. The 80 200 HS gets a lot of use for indoor/outdoor sports photography on my a77ii. I imported from Japan via Ebay and had no issues. Strongly recommend.
reviewer#12000 date: Oct-10-2014
compared to:Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di LD
Sigma 100-300mm f/4 Apo EX DG
price paid:$1000 used
positive:+ Extremely fast and sure AF, good tracking
+ Compact size for it's class
+ Excellent sharpness from f/2.8 on
+ good micro contrast, creamy bokeh
+ Superb build
+ Smooth zoom ring

negative:- Noisy AF, lens torquing
- paint easily scratched
- front element turns with AF
- no AF clutch
- can't remove tripod ring
comment:Terrific lens with very few weaknesses. Sharpness, colors and build are top-notch. It holds up very well on 24MP FF and APS-C, it shines as a portrait lens on FF as well as for sports on the A77. My copy performs well at f/2.8, from f/4 on I basically use it like a bag of primes. I'm not a big fan of the white color but do like the quicker AF compared to the older black version. AF speed and accuracy are amazing, the noise not so much. I have used the lens for video from a tripod with MF, which is almost as smooth as the 1-finger operated zoom ring.
reviewer#11997 date: Oct-1-2014
compared to:Sony 16-50mm f2.8 SSM
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro 2
price paid:950 US
positive:Twerks! with AF
Smaller, lighter, and faster AF than my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 mk2.
Same 72mm filter size as my other lenses.
negative:Twerks! with AF
Manual Focus ring turns with AF and you have to turn the camera AF to Manual to use Manual AF.
Not weather sealed.
Front turns with focus, so I will try hard not to use this for ultra wide landscape photography with a CPL filter. ha ha
comment:Just got this lens tonight so I will add to this review over the next few days. Gave it all fives for now.
First impression is that it REALLY TWERKS. I mean, I read that it torques with the AF screw drive, but it really jolts out of the gate like a bandit, no reserve. And the really weird part is that it actually NAILS focus! No micro hunting to fine tune when it gets close. And what is even more insane is that it seems to almost always start off in the right direction! What the heck? How can a dumber lens be smarter (compared to my Sigma 70-200 HSM mk2). PS. I used to have the A77 and now have the A77ii.
October 11, 2014 Update - OMG OMG OMG!!! I realy hate to drive the used prices higher but this lens is friken AMAZING!!! A few day ago I used it for the lunar eclipse "blood moon". Shot downtown through some bridge cables and other buildings. I had to keep the aperture fairly large to stop the motion of the moon from blurring which meant that I had to focus stack the foreground and background together. But the results are absolutely fantastic! Far beyond anything I thought I was capable of. And I am a perfectionist and I have been shooting for 25 years including medium format. Then, yesterday I had my first chance to take it out in the daylight with my dogs yesterday. I had the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG EX HSM Macro Mk2 before with my A77 and A77ii. I was never very happy with it. No matter what setting I tried I was only getting about 5% of the shots bang on focus with about 20% near focus and the other 75% way out. Yesterday with the Minolta 80-200 I was getting 50% BANG ON focus, about 40% very near focus, and about 10% missed because the subject drifted out of my center AF point during a continues series. And even then, the image was perfectly focused on the background, as it should be without object tracking. Then I used the Lock-on Center AF and things got even better. I am absolutely blown away. For the very first time since I had my EOS 600, I feel like I could take on virtually any professional photo shoot and get exactly what I want. This is everything I have ever wished for and it even exceeds my highest hopes. You may not be hear much more from me after this because I plan to be out a LOT more shooting instead of looking for better gear.
reviewer#11568 date: Dec-30-2013
compared to:Tokina 80-200 1:2,8
positive:I dont sale I´t
negative:No negativ
comment:It´s not so big. perfect to fashion and catwalk
reviewer#11545 date: Dec-15-2013
compared to:Minolta 70-210 mm F4 (beercan)
Minolta 28-70 mm F2,8 G-lens
Minolta 400 mm F4,5 HS APO
price paid:€950
positive:Sharp, already at F2,8
Beautifull colors
Amazing bokeh
Build is excellent
Fast (especially with SLT A77)
negative:Heavy
comment:My most favorite lens. The IQ is amazing even at full diafragm and the bokeh is stunning. I don't think I will ever part with this lens.
reviewer#11389 date: Oct-14-2013
compared to:Sigma 70-210mm f/2.8 APO
Sony 70-400mm G SSM
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
price paid:approx. $1,200
positive:Super fast focusing.
Sharp Sharp Sharp.
Magnificent colors

negative:Heavy but can hand hold if braced well.
comment:Really great lens. Just got it and have used it a lot recently. One thing- might need micro-adjustment on the a77.
reviewer#11263 date: Jul-22-2013
compared to:Beercan
Big Beercan
Sigma EX DG IF F4 100-300mm
positive:Constant f2.8
Fast focusing
Great colours and microcontrast
negative:On the A77 the AF is a bit brutal.
Close up performance not great
Minimum focus distance
Not exactly silent
comment:It took me a while to get the hang of this lens. Its high geared AF combined with the A77's powerful AF motor can be handful. The combined torque can actually twist the camera and lens in your hand if you're not prepared. I also struggled with the AF at close range which was very hit and miss and found manual focus far better in these situations.

However, once its frisky nature is understood, it is a great lens for capturing fast action and low light scenarios.

It can exhibit some chromatic aberration is certain circumstances but DxO Optics Pro's profile neutralise this and enhance sharpness brilliantly.

I'll update when I've tried this lens on my A700 and some of my film bodies.
reviewer#11223 date: Jun-30-2013
compared to:Minolta 70-200/2.8 G SSM
Minolta 100/2.8 macro D
price paid:1500 CHF (used 2005)
positive:die hard build quality
image quality
focusing speed
negative:non removable collar
1.8m close focusing distance
not compatible with minolta/sony APO converters
comment:Extremely solid build and overall great performer. I sold it after getting a good deal on a 70-200 SSM but not before doing some comparisons. Focusing speed is on par with the SSM in my experience. The SSM beats it with its close focusing distance (1.1 vs 1.8m) and image quality at close range and longer focal lengths (the 80-200 shows quite some spherical aberration at 200mm when focused below about 3m).
reviewer#11172 date: Jun-1-2013
Compact
Fast autofocus
Great build quality
negative:Noisy autofocus
comment:I wanted a faster zoom than the 70-400mm G, but my budget did not stretch to the 70-200mm G, so I bought this lens on Ebay from SK Photo in Japan. It was not cheap, but it was in absolute mint condition. This is one lens I cannot see myself selling. It works great on both the A77 and A99, the autofocus is fast and the build quality is excellent. The lens is compact for its focal length range and balances well on the camera. I used to have the Minolta 200mm F2.8, but I much prefer the zoom.
DxO Optics Pro even has a module for this lens, so I see no reason to upgrade to the 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM.
reviewer#10860 date: Jan-19-2013
price paid:1600 SGD (Used)
positive:sharp throughout all aperture and excellent built
negative:Slightly heavy purely because of good built
comment:Just got a second-hand lens a couple of hours ago. Though it's almost 20 years old... I have a mint copy and enjoy it thoroughly. Tried it on my A350 and A77. Great lens!
reviewer#10737 date: Nov-29-2012
- sharp
- white
- Bokeh
- light and smaller
negative:- why haven't we met earlier?!
- 72mm, not 77mm
comment:Now, this is what a lens should be. It's my 4th tele-zoom and the only problem with this lens I have is that I am sorry we haven't met earlier.

This lens is sharp at 200mm at 2.8 on Full frame. That says it all.

It's more compact than the other 2.8 telezooms. Focus is accurate and spot on. It has this torque sound and feeling like the beercan and other metal Minolta zooms but it's so solidly built that I don't care. Of course the Sigma HSM is a different story but the Minolta is a large upgrade for me compared to my last zoom, the hsm ii. (HSM died after 2 months use :-/ )

My only concern is the unusual filter size of 72 mm, but that's not Minolta's problem, it's mine.

Portraits are wonderful. Bokeh is wonderful. At 2.8 vignetting is prominent and setting +0,3 EV helps. But center sharpness is awesome at 2.8, at both ends.

A pro lens asking for no compromise.
reviewer#10704 date: Nov-15-2012
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f4 beercan
positive:All!
Incredible sharp at 2.8
Balanced weigth
the colors! OMG
Fast to focus
negative:Mount ring only turn but cant remove
comment:i own it! yes! Its the best lens taht i have. The beercan was my favirite lens... until i find this minolta. I take pics at theater, ballet the most, and i love it! Better than sony 70-200, Sigma 70-200. I use Minolta 300 f.28 APO HS the last day, but 80-200 wins
reviewer#10698 date: Nov-14-2012
compared to:Tamron AT-X 828 Pro SD (KA mount)
price paid:1250 AUD (2010 ex+)
positive:Sharp wide open at all focal lengths, colour rendition, build
negative:slight diffraction noticeable from F11 to F32 (see comments)
comment:For portraiture I have found this lens excels when used at F2.8-F6.7 with subject distances up to about 12m. Skin tones and textures are rendered naturally on both film and sensor and readily compare to those shot on medium format.

Diffraction starts around F11 (my copy) which lowered the rating for sharpness. From F2.8 to F11 it is sharp at all focal lengths.

Shooting with the lens hood attached, flare is rarely an issue. It's handled well when it is encountered.

This lens delivers such beautifully smooth tones and detail I doubt I will ever part with it.
reviewer#10622 date: Oct-26-2012
compared to:Sigma 70-200 HSM ii
Tamron 70-200
Tamron 90
Minolta 70-210 f4
price paid:750 € mint
positive:Compact for a (70)80-200.
Sharp, sharpness unseen yet.
Minolta at its best.
negative:Autofocus is a bit aggressive, like in all Minolta metal lenses.
comment:This is my fourth tele zoom. And until I will be able to get the Sony G this is the lens I will work with.

It's seriously sharper than the Tamron Macro 90 2.8.

It's sharp at 2.8 and 200 mm. Something I didn't see so far.

Of course serious corner sharpness is not given til f5.6, and vignetting is quite prominent at f 2.8, it fades with 3.2 already and with each stop the lens opens up with total sharpness.

The mechanical aggressive focusing is something I have to get used to again (beercan like), after working with the wonderful HSM motor, but which died after using it for 3 months and I am not going back to HSM.
reviewer#10595 date: Oct-15-2012
-Fast Focus
-Beautiful Minolta Colors/Contrast
-Shorter/Lighter than 70-200
negative:1.8m Min focus distance
comment:I was very conflicted when I started looking around for a constant 2.8 in a telezoom.

For the same price or less used I could have gotten a Sigma 70-200 HSM or for even less the equally sharp Tamron 70-200.

Sigma being the better build quality and with HSM, and Tamron being high IQ but cheaper build.

Until I stumbled upon the Minolta 80-200 on ebay from Japan. I don't regret making the purchase after spending a week with the lens, and it's by far the most expensive lens I've ever bought myself new or used.

I did motion tracking at f2.8 of a car on a freeway 100m away, from my 10th floor living room window at 1/8th shutter speed. Posted pics on DPreview and it's incredible how fast the lens locked onto the car, and maintained tracking while I panned to follow the movement.

I attempted the same thing with my Tokina 70-210 and it's not even worth mentioning how bad the performance was.

This lens is worth every penny. It's solid steel but what I like about it, is it's very light and shorter than the 70-200. Making it a lot easier to handle.
reviewer#10538 date: Sep-23-2012
compared to:Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO G HS
price paid:1200 usd (mint)
positive:- perhaps lightest and shortest of all in this range.
- Lightning speed AF torque, and spot on accuracy
- One of the sharpest and most beautiful color rendition
negative:- doesn't accept Sony 1.4x and 2.0x APO tele-converters
- white paint is easily scratched.
- long MFD, not great for pseudo macro.
- loud AF, can be very disturbing when shooting in a quiet/silent event.
comment:I'm extremely impressed with my copy of Minolta 200mm f2.8. However being a fixed focal, I felt the need for more flexibility in some shooting situations so I sought the Minolta 80-200 f2.8 APO G HS, knowing well what I have to sacrifice in terms of IQ.

The reason I chose this over the newer Sony 70-200 is purely because of its more friendly cost and compact size/weight.

The Minolta 80-200 doesn't disappoint in terms of image quality, AF speed, accuracy, and color rendition. It's very much on par with the excellent Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO G. The colors are superbly rich, vivid and contrasty. AF speed is extremely fast and dependable. Among the telephoto zoom lens i have in this range, I can say that the AF of 80-200 is the most spot-on. I barely have blurry images. And it makes me feel confident knowing I will not miss a moment and end up with out of focus subject. My copy requires approx +2 micro adjustment.

I haven't done any test regarding border sharpness but from many reviews I have seen so far, they all agree that border sharpness is reduced which is understandable, considering the compromise of the zoom.

I love this lens a lot and can't recommend highly enough, considering the price of a mint copy is considerably cheaper than a new Sony 70-200 f2.8. Although the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is tempting, the old version is criticized for focusing speed and the new version while very nice is way too heavy for me.

My only grips with 80-200 is the fact that it doesn't accept both Sony 1.4x and 2.0x APO tele-converters, while the 200mm f2.8 does. The MFD is rather long and hence more suitable to people portraits and not so great for pseudo macro shots. And AF drive can be very loud when you shoot in an event that demands silence. I must switch to MF instead.

When weight isn't an issue and I need extra flexibility, I will go with 80-200. When I want to travel light, and I know I will shoot mostly at the telephoto end, I will take 200 f2.8 together with teleconverters which turns the lens into 300 and 400mm super telephoto.

See my photos with Minolta 80-200mm f2.8 APO G HS and Minolta 200mm f2.8 APO G HS on my Flickr collection at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeispixels/collections/72157628204412995/
reviewer#10300 date: Jun-13-2012
price paid:800e (used A+)
positive:build/weight vs size, sharpness, color, focus speed, very comfortable in hand
negative:AF has heavy torque which will cause shaking if not mounted.
Unable to use with minolta TC
comment:Very fast, precise AF, colors and sharpness, good choice as a cheaper alternative to 70-200G
reviewer#9696 date: Dec-18-2011
compared to:Beercan 70-210 f4, minolta 70-210 f3,5-4,5. Sigma 70-300 f4-5,6 APO DG.
price paid:1,300.00 USD (used)
positive:Lighter than Minolta, Sony 70-200 f2.8
negative:Nothing (my opinion)
comment:This is my favorite lens so far. It is very good wide open. It is not as heavy as 70-200 f2.8.
reviewer#9461 date: Oct-1-2011
positive:Beautiful Minolta colors
Very fast focussing
Images that "pop"
negative:Won't take Minolta tele-converters
comment:This is a big, heavy lens that, because it balances well, just resides on my A900. I am very surprised how much more user friendly it is than the 70300G, which is lighter and slightly thinner, but not as comfortable. I haven't found the weight a problem at all in the ten days I've owned and constantly used it -- and I've recently become annoyed at big lenses. This is a delightful exception.

The cage at the back stops the usual opening of the diaphragm when a lens cap is put on, which is unexpected. I tend always to inspect my lenses this way, but it's not a big deal.

The lens stays at one length when zooming, but the focus mechanism moves the front of the lens forward. However, when the metal (Yes) lens hood is attached, the focus extension is entirely confined within the hood, so that the lens is apparently fixed in length. This pleases me no end, because I detest the huge 70300G lens hood, and the monstrous length that it extends. The 70300G's like a missile launcher.

I'd prefer a clip-on lens hood over the the bayonet fitting, because it's a little difficult to mount the bayonet backwards when done. It's a round hood, so this could've been done.

At present, I prefer this lens to the Min 200G, but this probably is just novelty. Still, the combination of wonderfully saturated color, shallow depth of field and impeccable focus on the 80200G produces images that constantly astonish me. It's a design quality that I cannot describe, but is quite clearly there.

I'd've liked a screw range limiter like the 200G (which I prefer to the switches on the 70300G.) The lens hunts a little, but that is mainly a learning curve for me. The focus is indeed as torquish as reported, and quite fun.

The rotating but irremovable tripod mount has two different, standard, screw holes (a very thoughtful point) and does indeed fit into the hand conveniently.

It takes Tamron 1.4x and 2x tele-converters. There is no discernable image quality loss with the 1.4x, but there is loss with the 2x, although that may be the consequence of hand-holding the lens.

The 85G has a different image quality, almost ethereal, while the 80-200G floods the background with light, but remains vivid. They are complementary lenses,and one can easily possess both without conflict: I am not so sure about the 200G, which may be superseded by the zoom. Time will tell.

The Zeiss is a wholly different lens, with sharp, discrete images and paler colors. I am even more sold on Minolta colors with this "new" 80200G HS.

My copy has the white paint scraped through in places, and was probably hard used at some time. But you'd never know from the speed of focus or the images. It came from Adorama at a great price as the result of an eagle-eyed Dyxumite's posting. Thank you, cafe.

Again, I say how well-balanced it is that it does not feel anywhere near as heavy and large as the statistics show.
reviewer#9180 date: Jun-26-2011
compared to:70-210 f/4 (Beer Can)
price paid:1200.00
Fast Focus
Great Colors
Well Built
negative:None for Me
comment:This this lens is just awesome. Even when I was shooting film with my 8000i
I thought my beer can was all I would ever need. Switching to digital I was really happy, but I got a chance to get a good used copy (looks almost brand new)
of the 80-200 Hs APO and the difference between the beer can is just incredible.
If I had not shot the pictures I may not have believed the difference, as some others have stated here it elevates your pictures to a new level. Yes it is heavy
and it is worth every bit the extra weight you carry around. If you have been shooting pic since the 70's as I have it does not seem all that heavy, and some have said there seems to be alot of noise with focus, it does not seem loud to me. With the price going up all the time on new as well as used equipment if you find a good clean copy and need the range of this lens get it.
reviewer#9178 date: Jun-26-2011
compared to:- Minolta 70-210 3,5-4,5
price paid:900€
positive:- Fast
- usefull on Apsc or FF
- Sharp, and at F4 it's amazing
- White :)
negative:Can't see, heavy, but who cares ?
comment:One of my favorite. Excellent on Apsc but even more better on FF camera. I use it for portrait and nature shots. Love the speed on FF, the range on Apsc.

Always a great pleasure to have it in front of any Sony camera.
reviews found: 89    1 2 3 >>