Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM A-mount lens review by GlassEye

reviewer#11909 date: Jul-16-2014
compared to:Samyang/Bower 8mm
Sony 16-50 f/2.8 SAL
price paid:Rented
positive:Very sharp from f/4. By f/5.6 outstanding. Light weight. Zoom and focus control smooth. Low distortion if you're careful. Fast, fixed aperture for this focal range.
negative:A minor nit. I would like to see the focus scale marked off at 3 meters. This would make manual focus a breeze! Shooting into bright lights, like the Sun, can create a bit of flare. Pretty much what I would expect from this focal length.
comment:I rented this lens for a large group shot and needed to get pretty wide. I was not disappointed. At f/5.6 there is so much depth of field that auto focus seems unnecessary. I found this lens to be well behaved. The built in level of the a77 makes it easy to hold camera level. When kept level this lens keeps the straight straight and the vertical vertical. Mostly.
At 10mm this thing renders beautiful shots. Even though I don't have a real need for this lens, I can see me saving up my pennies for one of my own. OK, pennies aren't going to do it. This is a fairly expensive lens, but worth it.