Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM A-mount lens review by DarkScribe

reviewer#6608 date: Dec-20-2009
compared to:Minolta 11-18, Sigma 10-20 (Original)
price paid:au$849
positive:Wide, quick focus, faster than the original at 3.5.
negative:Disappointing when compared to its predecessor. HSM maybe, but a step backward in other areas. I own both a Minolta 11-18 and the original Sigma 10-20 and this is a step backward. I changed it the day after I got it and the new one is equally as lacking.
comment:I needed a another 10-20 and the new version had been released - at a considerably higher cost. I expected new version - better quality image. I was disappointed. It is softer with poorer color rendition. Flare control, while never great on the original - is worse. After seeing the reviews here, I returned the lens to the dealer and had it replaced with another copy - which was just as bad. I cannot understand why people are rating it higher optically than its predecessor - it definitely isn't. Like the new Sony "SAM" lenses, it is a step backward. The speed increase to F3.5 is of no value to many in that as a lens for interior/Real Estate work, off camera lighting is invariably used.