Sigma 100-300mm F4.5-6.7 DL A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#27582 date: May-21-2016
compared to:Minolta Beercan 70-210/4
Sigma 18-200/3.5-5.6 DC II HSM
Sony 500/8 AF Reflex
A variety of vintage prime telephoto lenses on adapters
price paid:$24 used
AF is average at best
Cheaply made
Zoom creep
Focus creep
comment:I have never shot 300mm from a modern refractive lens, but my 500/8 reflex is sharper than this thing is. It isn't terrible, and if you're a beginner it'll do fine for the price, but ultimately it's just a cheapo starter lens. Can definitely produce nice images. Sharper than many of the old telephoto primes in the same range. Decent color. Average distortion. Cheap plastic construction. The hood it comes with is nice though, that has always worked well for me.
reviewer#10385 date: Jul-16-2012
compared to:All Minolta 100-300s
All Minolta 75-300s
positive:Lovely colour rendition
negative:Sharpness
Flares easily even with large hood.
Poor contrast
comment:Budget lens producing budget IQ.

Sharpness is poor at all focal lengths and apertures. Out of 100 or so test shots only a handful were anywhere near acceptable.

Unless you are on a tight budget and desperate for the 200-300 range, don't buy it. You can pick up a Minolta 100-200 f4.5 for a similar price on ebay and crop heavily to obtain better results.

Definitely not recommended. Sold it after 2 days. Useless
reviewer#9214 date: Jul-7-2011
price paid:cant remember
positive:not much CA
quick AF
negative:terrible build quality
comment:I bought this lens new back when I still used my Minolta 7000.
I recently bought an A700 body so I could put my old KM lenses to work.I really loved the sigma for a few weeks : fast AF and nice pictures.But then the gears broke down , I guess the AF motor of the A700 is just too strong. I dismantled the lens to have a look which revealed to me how cheap the construction was. The gears were made of low quality plastic and a number of teeth were just torn off..
I would not recommend this lens , no matter how cheap you can get it.
reviewer#7608 date: Jun-25-2010
price paid:5 USD - Auction
positive:Extremely sharp on a M43 Panasonic GH1.
Fairly well built for a "modern" lens.
Inexpensive.
Equivalent to a 200 ~ 600mm on a M43 camera.
Metal mount.
Great price performance ratio.
negative:Filter rotates with focus (bad for CPL users)
Plastic barrel.
Plastic filter threads.
A little dark (spec: 4.5~6.7)
Zoom can fall under it's own weight when pointed straight up or straight down.
comment:I bought this lens for $5 on the bay. The guy thought there was mold in the lens but is was just hair. I got it out. :) I use this lens on the Panasonic GH1 micro four thirds (M43) camera and wow (!) what a very sharp lens it is! The manual controls all work well in normal operation. The zoom is a little stiff and difficult to access (narrow zoom ring) if you intend on using this lens for video. Focusing is very smooth and easy to use (wide focus ring) but the front element rotates which could present a problem for those intending to use it with polarizing, neutral density gradient, or other FX filters.

This lens typically sells for between $100 and $200 at the time of this writing and on a M43 body the image quality (IQ) is similar to lenses costing $800 to $2,000. It has very good color rendering. I can't get any chromatic aberration (CA) out of it no matter how much I torture it. And it's sharp corner to corner at all apertures throughout it's entire zoom range.

If you're on a M43 body this makes a nice day-time birding lens but it's a little slow for birding at dusk or dawn.

It (is supposed to) come with a hood and when used there is no problem with flare. I also didn't experience any unusual flare problems with the hood off either.

In all I dig this lens! Very nice and an excellent value for the price.

(Be careful to recognize that I'm using it on a M43 camera! On a FF or APS-H it's performance and IQ may be quite different - I dunno.)

reviewer#1655 date: Jan-15-2007
compared to:beercan
price paid:60 euros
positive:Cheap, good tele-zoom lens for a starter, light
negative:Build, bad image quality
comment:This was my first tele zoom lens, bought sometimes ago and used a lot during travels. It is not a good lens, but it's a low-budget glass, not a pro one. Very light, it is almost plastic (sometimes i guess the lenses are in plexiglas too :P), and a bit slow. Images are not sharp until you go to f11 (but sharpness is generally not good), colors are on an orange tone.
reviewer#925 date: Jun-21-2006
positive:Light, cheap, small.
negative:Vignetting on 35mm film, must be stopped to f8-11 to remove vignette. Not very sharp. Sloooow AF. Cheap bulid.
comment:Not recomended. Buy something different.
reviewer#617 date: Mar-22-2006
compared to:Minolta 70-210mm f4
price paid:300 C$ (1999, new)
positive:- Small and light.
- Nice color rendition.
- Hood works well. (see below)
negative:- Zoom creeps!
- Not very sharp.
- Cheap build (plastic all the way).
- Slow aperture.
- Slow AF.
- Where are the details?
comment:Now, that's a long zoom for someone on a budget who likes to travel. But... Don't expect much in terms of sharpness and AF speed. The deep hood provided with it certainly works well... But try to use it with a polarizer and that's another story as the front element rotates when focussing. Would I buy it again? Probably not!

Edited: Not that bad on a APS size sensor... The center of the image is sharper than the corners, so it is quite useful after all.
reviewer#592 date: Mar-17-2006
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f:4
price paid:100 USD (Auction)
positive:- Light
- Dirt-cheap
negative:- Fragile build
- Plastic finishing (except for the bayonet)
- Slow AF
- Not the sharpest lens in the game (but you get what you pay for)
comment:Seems that today this lens is only available on black finishing - mine is golden (!) finishing.

I've got mine dirt cheap - less than US$ 100.00 from a local seller. One of its great strengths is that is a really light lens for its range, albeit a little dark (mainly in the long tele end).

OTOH, you get what you pay for: at the long tele range, the lens must be stopped down to f:11 - f:13 to get reasonable to good (but not great) results. Colors tend to be a little reddish on my copy, so before digital times I've got a 80A light blue filter to compensate it, with good results.

Remember when I said that one of the strengths of this lens was its lightness? Well, this is also one of its miseries and the cause of what bugs me most about this lens: its fragile build. Someday my copy had a 30cm (~1 ft) drop and this damaged the zoom system of the lens, so I've got it a soft case.

Overall, this is good lens if you're into your first steps on telephoto and want to know if telephoto is your cup of tea or not; however, if you're going serious into telephoto get something better a$ $oon a$ you can - in my case, I've got a 70-210 f:4 for a good price.