Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44102 date: Jul-12-2018
compared to:Dozens of lenses I have owned for the past 10 years.
price paid:599 us
positive:This lens is put together like a race car- sturdy and precise!
Image quality is bitingly sharp..sharpest lens I ever owned..includes my Carl Zeiss Jena Flekagon 35mm 2.4
Nice carry pouch and comes with hood.
75% of the settings were right on the money (using Sigma Dock) and precise.
negative:No really a negative.. but I wish to sigma 50mm-100mm art lens came in A-Mount.
comment:I wanted a one-lens solution to handle my street photography and this IS that one lens. Usually at 50'ish but occasionally going wide. F1.8 across the board? I love it.
reviewer#38871 date: May-29-2017
compared to:Sigma 18-300mm C
Tamron 18-270mm PZD
Tamron 16-300mm PZD
Tokina 11-16mm PRO DX II
Sony 16-35mm SSM
price paid:550 Euro
positive:All positive for zoom type lens: color, distortion and Bokeh
Precise AF, but only after calibration with Sigma USB Docking
negative:Not higly negative, but negative:
Flare
Slow AF speed for lens with ultrasonic motor
A bit difficulty for AF microadjust with USB Docking due F/1.8 small DoF
comment:A very good lens Sigma, impressive build quality, very good image rendition.
Best use with F/2.4 in low light.

One of the best lens for APS-C camera.

AF inconsistency after calibration with Sigma USB Docking: about 5%
Sony 18-55 SAM 3.5-5.6
price paid:$550
positive:Very sharp
negative:small range
comment: The highest optical performance of any APS-C lens I have ever used, ever.
reviewer#24493 date: Feb-10-2016
compared to:Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Tamron 90mm F2.8 USD
Tamron 16-300mm Piezo
Sigma 18-200mm
Minolta 50mm F1.4
price paid:€400
positive:Solidly built quality
Very sharp, even wide open - have very good T-stop value
Internal zoom and focus
Fast and quiet focus - when it works, see nagative
negative:Did back focus quite a lot so I needed to make micro adjustment in camera to make it usable. Focus is still a bit inaccurate and somewhat inconsistent on my copy, even after micro adjustment.
A USB dock may be needed to fine tune it, in order to make it good - so focus is NOT ok.
comment:The lends is sharp so IQ is nothing less than great, the price is quite good and it's the only true F2.8 on APS-C I know of (with crop factor it's 27-52mm F2.7).
It a exceptional fast lens, with a T-stop to match even the very bests of F1.8's.
The low zoom and wide angel range, makes my Sony 16-50mm F2.8 a better street lens. However, for indoor close range and non-flash shooting, it's the very best lens I know of for APS-C - beating even the FF primes.

The autofocus is however sub-par and worse than even my other Sigma lens the 18-200mm. Some reviews here say the autofocus is slow, well not on my copy. The HSM is every bit as fast and quite as the Tamron piezo and USD, and Sony’s SSM.
The autofocus however is inconsistent and front focused (quite a lot) on my copy. Micro adjustment in camera fixed it for medium and long range focus, however for close up focus it's still front focusing – also it hunts or even say focus is ok even though it’s not. With F/1.8 the narrow DoF makes focusing quite important, so focus inaccuracy is the biggest drawback about this lens, optically and build wise is on pair with the very best in the industry.

I'll get the dock and see if the focus issues can be fixed.
reviewer#18356 date: Sep-22-2015
compared to:SAL16105, SAL18250, Tamron 16-300
price paid:700 €
positive:Very sharp. Very good build.
negative:Heavy, large.
comment:Sharpness:
When buying my Tamron16300, I did some comparisons, also with Sigma 18-35 (see http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Tamron-16-300mm-F3.5-6.3-Di-II-PZD-MACRO_lens760.html, #15267 date: Jun-7-2015).
Compared to these other zooms, the sharpness of the Sigma 1835 should be rated something like 5,4.
USB-Dock:
I am not sure if it is worth buying. You can set values only at very short focal distance, and its use is a bit laborious.
Focussing:
Seems to a bit tricky (I do not have much experience with this lens). So normally, I take some extra images.
reviewer#18355 date: Sep-22-2015
compared to:Sony Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5
price paid:670€
positive:Solidly built lens
Very sharp at any aperture
Handling is nice
negative:Heavy (but also rests easy on hand for steady shots)
Lens cap takes time to get used to
comment:I was worried if the focal length was enough for my purposes. Indoors there have been no problems. Outdoors, walking zoom works fine.

The color rendition is pleasant and the sharpness of the lens is remarkable at any aperture.

Weight of the lens is significant. I'm happy to use the lens on my A77, but on a lighter camera, the combination would be nose-heavy.

The build of the lens is very good and the rubber grips feel good to hand. The lens cap is more looks oriented than for practical use, but I have already gotten used to it.

Before this review I have been using the lens for night sky shots, as a walk-around lens and for indoor shots without flash. All I can say that this one is a keeper.
reviewer#12068 date: Dec-26-2014
compared to:Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Sony DT 16-50 SSM
Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
price paid:n.a.
positive:+ sharp lens even wide open
+ high quality buid feeling
+ internal focus and zoom
+ autofocus spot on
negative:- weight (felt front-heavy on my a77ii)
- somewhat restriced focal range
- slow autofocus
comment:VERY nice lens with great imagequality, great built and feeling of the lens.
I looked forward to this high quality lens both for it's IQ as well as its fast aperture for low light shooting.
And I wasn't disapointed - this feels and works great in producing high quality and sharp pictures.
I didn't have any front/backfocus issues I read about, nor was the autofocus anything less then very spot on at hitting the intended focuspoint.
The somewhat limited range of 18-35mm also did work flawless for the intended indoor shots and I would live with it too.
The only thing that realy disturbed me was the speed of the autofocus-it was realy to slow for my taste.
It felt slower then any of my other or previously owned lenses-so when you are interested in this lens take note of the AF-Speed.
That was the only reason i returned the lens and my rating of the build quality of 4.
Compared to my Sony 16-50 SSM the sony feels lightning-fast and the Sigma 18-35 like a slowly creeping lens.
reviewer#12066 date: Dec-24-2014
compared to:sony 16-50 2,8
sony 30 1,8
zeiss 16-35 2,8
sony 11-18
price paid:700 euros new
positive:Sharp, bokeh, fast and fine focus, construccion, .......almost all is positive.
negative:weight
comment:The final lens, if you're using aps-c, you have to buy it, and if you're using FF, you have to switch to aps-c only for enjoy of this lens.
The best of the best.
reviewer#11959 date: Aug-26-2014
compared to:Sony DT 35mm F/1.8 SAM
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG IF HSM
price paid:799 USD (New)
positive:-Very sharp lens, even at wide open.
-Well built, solid construction.
-Internal zoom and internal focus.
-Nice bokeh.
-Can be fine tuned and updated via USB dock.
-Fast, quiet focus.
negative:-May need to fine tune via USB dock to get the most out of it. Some may not like this. (Doesn't bother me)
-Some might find it heavy. (I don't)
-Some might find the focal range a bit short or odd. (I don't)
-Not a fan of the bottom half of the barrel being ribbed like the focus/zoom rings.
-Looks to have some compatibility issues with the AF Range feature on the A77II. Could be possible to fix via a firmware update. It works, but limits the features full capability.
-Shares the same lens ID as some of Sigma's other lenses. Might cause and issue with the MFAs of those other lenses if you are not careful or choose to not use the USB dock to adjust the lens.
comment:Let's just start off to say that I am in love with this lens. Sure it took over a year waiting on pre-order for it to finally ship, but it is truly a marvelous lens.

Secondly, I highly recommend investing in the USB dock if you plan to buy this lens and/or any other of Sigma's Global Vision lineup. My copy, and from what I have seen on other mounts, needed some adjustments to get the most out of it. Unfortunately, the adjustments needed are not something a single MFA value could correct. I found with my lens that from up close to about .28-.4 meters it had a slight front focus while at around .6 meters to infinity it back focused (really bad at infinity). The USB dock took care of this quite well since you can create adjustments at 4 different focal lengths and at 4 different distances for those focal lengths. Makes me wish my other lenses supported this dock.

Picture quality is really nice with this lens. I have no issues shooting wide open, even outdoing some of my other primes at F/1.8. Majority of its focal range does great wide open, but once you get to its tele end of 35mm some of its resolving power is lost. But it isn't bad, it still seems at least as good, if not better, in the center than what my 35mm F/1.8 can do at the same aperture. Corners look better on the Sigma than on my Sony regardless of aperture. Stopping down a little (F/2-F/2.8) and its sharpens right up to what its wider end is capable of in resolving power.

CA is well controlled and the little CA that may crop up has been easily fixed. This is one advantage it has at 35mm that my Sony 35mm is weak at when using large apertures. At 35mm CA is practically non-existent whereas it can be quite prevalent on my 35mm prime at or near wide open.

The lens is so good, I am strongly considering getting rid of my 35mm F/1.8 SAM.

While the zoom range may seem short for some, it doesn't bother me much. I don't think of it as a zoom, but more so as 3-4 fast primes. I would put this lens on for situations I would normally be carrying a prime.

Because it is more versatile than a prime, it does make for a nice walk around lens. It's also good for indoors and street photography too. I find it pairs well with a 90mm macro or a 70-200mm for those days you only want to carry two lenses.

If you shoot with an APS-C camera, I highly recommend adding this lens to your kit.