Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM A-mount lens reviews

3) Perfect range for full-frame
negative:1) Like other Sigmas tis a bit large
2) Zoom turns opposite of what I expect
3) Some vignetting and distortion at 24 mm, and corner sharpness
comment:This is my new favorite lens. I use it for everything now, and am basically planning to get rid of all my other lenses.

Probably not, just kidding. But it's just about perfect; landscapes, walking around, portraits, light telephoto action. Yes it's f/4 so you don't get super shallow DoF, but it's very sharp at f/4 in the center so you can still get some good DoF. The bokeh is nice; not bad, not great. When I wanted a little more reach, I flipped the a99 over to the telephoto zoom mode and the images came out great.

Autofocus is quick, and fairly quiet, although during video testing I noticed the camera picked up the noise it makes when it finds focus and comes to a somewhat hard stop. But that's mostly my fault for trying to use autofocus during video. :-)

It's heavy, and it's physically wide. It looks silly when I hook it up to my a6500, not so much on a77ii or a99, but it's still much bigger than other lenses I have used except the Sigma 50 non-art.

I've noticed vignetting at wider focal lengths, especially in lower light, and the corners never really sharpen up completely. But for the price I paid, and the overall utility and central sharpness, this lens can't be beat.
reviewer#35782 date: Mar-1-2017
compared to:Zeiss 24-70 II
Minolta 28-135 (secret handshake)
Zeiss 85 1.4
price paid:$900
positive:1) Excellent central sharpness wide-open, and overall sharper than the Zeiss 2470 if both are shot wide open (admittedly the Zeiss is a full stop faster).
2) Decent sharpness in borders and corners, particularly if you stop down to f5.6 and above.
3) Decent control over chromatic aberration
4) Superbly flexible optic 4.4 times zoom ratio
5) Doesn't get notably softer as you zoom out to the long end – a little bit softer but way better than average compared to many other zooms.
6) An amazing value at $900 – nothing even comes close in terms of full frame walk around optics. It drop kicks even value brands like Tamron, where their 24-70 2.8 SP goes for $1300.
7) USB dock allows you to get MFA really nicely tuned in at multiple focal lengths.
8) Saves 100 g of weight over the Zeiss 2470.
negative:1) Even stopped down, corners don't ever approach its excellent central sharpness – a minor nitpick. And not unexpected.
2) Average bokeh – not bad for four times zoom.
3) Nothing else to speak of.
comment:The best walkaround full frame zoom for your Alpha mount, if price is considered. Tied with the much more expensive Zeiss in overall sharpness (better at some worse at other FL), but sharper than the CZ, if both are compared wide open (of course the CZ is a full stop faster as a tradeoff). Lighter, way cheaper, but giving up a stop, and perhaps a bit of bokeh, if both are short at the long end (70mm for the CZ, 105mm for the Sigma). Better control of CA than the CZ at the wide end, about equal at 40-70mm.

Although some will potentially complain about the lack of access to hybrid autofocus, this is a nonissue for me, as I shoot mostly in expand flexible spot. Excellent AF performance including tracking, where it actually tracks better on a moving vehicle than the Sony G2.

Find us on Google+