Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF MACRO A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#39933 date: Sep-12-2017
compared to:Various G-glass, various Zeiss T* & Sigma Art lenses. The list has become to long.
price paid:£202.00
positive:Very sharp. Minimal distortion. Good colours and tonal fidelity. Keeps up with the 42MP sensor without a bother.
negative:None that I can think of.
comment:What happened with the reviews of this lens?
The other reviews here do not seem to represent the second hand lens that I have bought.
I was put off buying one for several years due to the reviews here!!!
Firstly my sample is tack sharp center field and sharp in the corners. The colours are great and the tonal fidelity is top notch. It is sharper everywhere than any of the AF35mm f2.0 lenses that I have owned and that lens is rated here as 4.97 for sharpness. I cannot be the only one with a sharp example!
Secondly, you can make unique images with this lens that have immense visual impact without horrific distortion.

Overall this lens is a unique proposition and it is affordable. Get in close and give normaly overlooked subjects immense visual impact with ease.

Totally a keeper.
reviewer#12108 date: Jan-25-2015
compared to:Carl Zeiss 2/28 ZE
price paid:$280
positive:Excellent distortion control for a 75° FOV lens.
Round aperture shape when closed down.
Very good flare control. Good sharpness wide open in the center of the frame, decent in the corners.
negative:Push/pull AF/MF mechanism and requirement to keep the lens in AF mode when switching a camera on/off. I don't follow Sigma's instructions and so far nothing happened to the AF motor. Sharpness doesn't increase by stopping the lens down. At f/5.6 your average zoom lens may capture sharper images.
Focus throw is only 90°.
Inconsistent AF accuracy in good light.
comment:I did a comparison shoot out between Sigma 28/1.8 on a850 and Carl Zeiss 2/28 ZE on Canon 6D. My comments and sample DNG files can be found here: http://goo.gl/xkO2AQ
reviewer#9199 date: Jul-1-2011
compared to:Minolta 24-85 (original)
Minolta 28-105 RS
Minolta 18-70 kit lens
positive:Sharpness above f4
Close focussing ability
negative:Hood - dont like petal hoods
Contrast
77 mm filters
comment:Very disappointing at f1.8 to 2.8.
Only becomes sharp at f3.5 but even at this aperture the 24-85 and 28-105 are sharper. Amazingly the kit lens at 28mm at maximum aperture is as sharp (must have very good sample)

For a prime lens retailing in the UK at £300, this lens represents poor value for money. I feel I should have purchased the Minolta 28 f2.8.

The colours are not Minolta but nevertheless good. The main gripe is the low contrast produced by this lens.

Notwithstanding, the lens is very sharp at f5.6 to f11 and shows no noticeable distortion. But it is a prime.

Not recommended
price paid:400€ (new)
positive:-MFD
negative:-complicated AF/MF switching
-large filter size
comment:The really nice thing about this lens is it's "macro" ability, which is what I bought this lens for as I wanted a fast (aperture-wise), slightly wide (on aps), near-focusing lens.

It's AF is "ok", not quite as fast as on Sony 50/1.4 but not too slow either - though if it hunts in poor light it's going to take a while to go from one end of it's range to the other, due to it's near MFD.

Colors are ok, pretty much the same as on my other Sigma (old 70-300 4-5.6). Build quality is very solid, and it's a rather large and heavy lens which might be an issue for some. AF/MF swithing seems needlessly complicated, since you need to use the switch on the camera body as well as the switch on the lens - if you have the lens' switch on MF, focus ring will rotate during AF, potentially damaging the gearing if you're holding it firmly.

Sharpness is good, wide open it's a bit soft but gets quite good when closing down - not quite as sharp as Sony 50/1.4 though.

There's some noticeable barrell distortion, usual for wide angle lenses.

Overall it's a good lens, I like to use it.
reviewer#8707 date: Feb-26-2011
compared to:50mm f/1.7
positive:perfect focal length for my use
fells well build
-Cheap
-f/1,8
-Food
-MFD
negative:-Not so sharp wide open
comment:This lens is the black horse in my line up. Actually my first a-mount lens. Maybe mine is a very good copy or then this lens is under priced 'cause I've had such a great results with it.

In APS-C it gives almost normal angle and with FF it gives nice basic WA. AF may hunt in dim conditions but I still like to use this in weddings and concerts. If you're not too picky you can shoot with larger apertures.

After bying KM 17-35 I've mainly used this in situations where I need those wide apertures.
reviewer#6942 date: Feb-21-2010
compared to:Sigma 24-60mmF2.8 DG EX
Sigma 18-125mmF3.5-5.6 DC
price paid:200€(used)
positive:cheap
Full frame coverage
negative:Weight ( for this focal length)
Color a bit too flat
comment:I bought it for my KM D7D, in order to have an ultrawide lens.For it is usable from f3,5 and can compete against much more expensive lenses.
reviewer#6576 date: Dec-14-2009
compared to:Sigma 24mm/1.8
price paid:GBP 260 new
positive:Fast
negative:Sharpness wide open
CA
Vignetting on FF (helps to stop down, of course)
comment:Not as good optically as Sigma 24mm/1.8.
Fucusing ok on the 4th lens I tried in the shop.
Sigma quality control is lousy.
Good for street photography - not for high quality details.
reviewer#5243 date: Apr-15-2009
compared to:minolta 17-35
minolta 24-105
sygma 24 2.8
price paid:80€
positive:fast
negative:plastic built
comment:I do take a lot of sport pictures indoor, where I cannot use a flash (often) this lens comes very usefull. Sharpness wide opened while not excellent (as expected) is not worst than the minolta 17-35 and it is faster, indeed it is improuving when closing down but I need to operate wide opened. Weight is not an issue for me in fact I quite like the antishaking effect of it. I don't like the plastic feeling but no problem other than the front ring a bit woobly... A rather satisfying lens and at that price a bargain. I consider buying a minolta 28 2.8 for the sharpness... and for my collection !
reviewer#4605 date: Jan-1-2009
compared to:Sigma 17-70
Sigma 24-70/2.8
Minolta 28/2.8
positive:Price, Close-focus distance, speed
negative:Weight, filter size
comment:After spending TOO long looking for a used minolta 28/2, I picked up one of these to hold me over. It isn't a bad lens. The field of view on aps-c is convenient for me. I find it a very good walkabout prime. It isn't that sharp wide open, but by 2.8 performs quite well. The close focusing distance is helpful for my style of photography and allows for creative compositions. But its heavy. And it takes 77mm filters for some unknown reason. There is heaps of wasted space around the front element. It looks like they could have used a much smaller filter size if they had designed it differently. Anyway, I'm happy for now. It's built well and the price was right.
reviewer#4490 date: Dec-7-2008
compared to:Minolta 50mm 1.7
price paid:$230.00 (new)
positive:quite sharp from f4 up...excellent DOF ...f1.8
negative:Big ,Heavy
comment:I like the lens .... It gives me quite sharp photos ...It's not exactly a walkabout lens because of it's weight and size....but it has it uses particularly group portraits...I think i'm keeping it = )
reviewer#2466 date: Jun-22-2007
compared to:sigma 50 macro minolta 28-75 d
positive:I love this lense.. amazingly sharp 2.8 to 11 great color
comment:Great for museums and indor shots. OUtside or in bright light this lense is razor sharp.
reviewer#2274 date: May-8-2007
compared to:Minolta 28/2.8, 24/2.8 RS, 24-85 RS, Tokina 28-80/2.8
price paid:100 GBP (used)
positive:I find it usable wide open
Feels good to use
Wide well damped focus ring
Performs well
Pleasing bokeh
Quite sharp wide open
Popular 'large' filter size of 77mm - fits into my lineup.
negative:Large & Weighty for a 28mm
Couple of minor QC gripes
comment:I liked the look of it, so went for one off eBay, despite the lack of info around.
I've not used it much, so will append this as I use it more.

The reason to get a lens of this speed, (as I see it) is to use it wide open for the differential focus effects. Here I've found it performs superbly for what is actually quite a cheap lens.

It can focus very close, 1:2.9 - so your subject is almost touching the front element. If you then shoot wide open, you get a splendid rendering of the defocused areas.
I would go as far as to say it is sharp wide open, much sharper than the Tokina zoom. With a touch of selective SmartSharpening, the subject really pops out.
I've not studied my shots at 'normal' apertures (around f8) in detail, but they look as good as anything to me.
It's a chunky lens and handles well. The MF ring engages by pulling it back in the usual Sigma manner and is well damped allowing accurate control of MF.

Now for the bad: to most it is large and heavy. Personally, I have become accustomed to large pieces of camera equipment, so it seems small in relation!
On my sample the front cell is ever so slightly loose - you can hear it rocking as you walk with it mounted. Doesn't seem to affect images though. Also it front focuses by a few mm, but not severe and I use MF in critical situations anyway. Due to these issues not being severe I don't know if I'll bother sending it to Sigma.
reviewer#806 date: May-18-2006
compared to:Minolta 28 f. 2.8
positive:Aperture 1.8
negative:Big and heavy
comment:
reviewer#218 date: Nov-14-2005
compared to:Minolta 28/2, 35/2, Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX, Tamron 24/2.5 MF
positive:Fast, 1.8 is usable for "street"shooting, bokeh is excellent and nice close-focus.
negative:Weight and feel. It looks like a "Pro" lens, but dosen't act like one.
comment:OK, I admit that I'm a Minolta snob. I actually liked this lens very much until I finally got the 28/2 and there is just so much difference that it's hard to be fair to the Sigma.The minolta is small, solid and easy to grip. The sigma is big, heavy, noisy and slower focusing. The minolta is sharp throughout its entire range, even wide open to the edge. The Sigma is almost as good at f/4 but is usable at 1.8 only iin the center and if you have no other choice. The only time the Sigma is superior is close focus,and this is something I usually don't do with a wide angle.I do like the look of bokeh due to the Sigma's 9 blade apeture and there is almost no light fall-off at the corners due, in part, to its enormous size. I do commend Sigma overall because the have not abandoned the fixed focal length as so many others have. They continue to produce very good, very fast lenses at decent prices. If I hadn't bought the minolta, this review wuold have been much more positive. For the price, I can highly recommend it, but, if you can, get the minolta.

Find us on Google+