Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#10981 date: Mar-14-2013
compared to:Sony 70-200mm G
Sony 70-300mm G
Sony 70-400mm G
price paid:850 Pounds (new)
positive:Fast AF
F2.8
Excellent build quality
OS in camera or lens you choose!
Tack sharp
negative:slightly soft in the corners until you stop down.
comment:Sadly I had to sell my G series lenes to keep the wolves at bay but I could not ask for a better replacement. It feels good to handle and use and the AF is very fast. Only odd part is the zoom ring works from left to right instead of right to left, i.e. 200m is on the right.
reviewer#10974 date: Mar-12-2013
becomes very sharp at f4
OS
price
negative:none
comment:looks ridiculous mounted on my Nex-7 via la-ea2 but functions very well. it has OS built in which i need.
sharpness is very comparable to canon/nikon/sony versions at a fraction of the price.
reviewer#10920 date: Feb-15-2013
Fast
Tailored OS for panning
negative:Gets hot if shooting in the sun
comment:After spending a couple of weekends shooting with this lens I am extremely happy with the result. The lens was quick to focus shooting motorsport and pin sharp from about 3.2 on.
The 2 option OS would be redundant weight if it wasn't for the panning stabilization that I was very happy with. Way more keepers than I'm used to.

My only bugbear with the lens was that it did get extremely hot to touch when shooting in the sun with its matt black colour soaking in the sun. It was a hot day over 30c but I was surprised how hot the lens got and how quickly. Needless to say out of the direct sunlight this wasn't a problem.
reviewer#10820 date: Jan-7-2013
compared to:Minolta 70-210
Sigma 70-200 APO DG
positive:Sharp at f/2.8, Pin Sharp from f/3.2.
Silent and Accurate
Well balanced when attached to A77 with grip.
Built quality is superb with a nice solid feel to the lens.
Focus and Zoom very smooth.
negative:Weight, but I knew this before buying it.
Very slight CA at 200mm f/2.8 in certain light.
comment:A very very nice update to this lens, IMO allot sharper than its predecessor with a lovely silent accurate focus system. When used in MF, the focus ring is very smooth and positive. Overall I am very very pleased with this lens.
reviewer#10781 date: Dec-13-2012
compared to:Tokina 80-200mm F2.8
Minolta Beercan
price paid:1000USD (used)
positive:Very sharp at all range even aperture widely opened F2.8.
Fast and silent motor drive.
Nice build and outlook.
negative:A little bit heavy.
OS cannot be use if the body anti shake was on, is a wastage I paid extra for the OS.
comment:Highly recommended.
reviewer#10581 date: Oct-12-2012
compared to:Sony SAL70200G
Sigma 70-200 HSM II (NON OS, version 3)
Tamron 70-200 F/2.8
price paid:899 used
positive:Extremely sharp even beginning at F/3.2
It's not white
Quick focusing
Quiet focusing
Built-in OS might even be better than the in-body
Smooth zoom ring
Focus ring on the inner part of the lens towards the sensor (unlike the 24-70z)
negative:Zoom turns the opposite from all my other lenses.
comment:The proof is in the pudding - I'm getting far better shots with this than either Sony 70-200g I owned or the last iteration of this lens from Sigma. Or the Tamron 70-200 F/2.8.
I don't use either supplied lens hood (one for APS-C and one for full frame) nor do I use the tripod collar, and to me this lens isn't overly heavy or tiring after a day of shooting. But I'm still fairly young (39) and I could see my wife perhaps having a problem with the weight.
Anyway, I have owned 2 Sony 70-200's that both weren't sharp wide open (one was brand new from Sony and the 2nd one used) at any focal length. Even F/3.5 was soft on the Sony. The 3rd Sigma 70-200, the one before this, was kind of the same way, and perhaps even softer than the Sony @ 200mm.
Bought the Tamron, but I hated the noisy slow focusing, the annoying 2 step process to switch to MF mode, and the way it hunted in the shadows.
Found the Sigma OS Sony used and initially it wouldn't AF on my A77 - sent it to Sigma and they fixed it for free (total turnaround time from Ohio about a week and a half). This lens is really sharp beginning @ F/3.2 (I'm talking pixel peeping sharp) and perhaps needs F/3.5 @ 200mm, but I have some great shots at F/3.2 @ 200mm.
Anyway the HSM motor is silent (great for video), focuses quickly and accurately. I don't see any purple fringing unless I shoot @ F/2.8 in very bright light, which is why I stop it down just a smidgen.
IMO, other than the 50mm F/1.4, this is Sigma's best lens.
reviewer#10286 date: Jun-10-2012
compared to:Tamron 18-300 3.5-5.6
positive:Having this lens on my camera makes it looks like I know what I'm doing, thus insuring my self-esteem as a photographer remains intact

Zoom ring allows for manual focus even if camera is in AF mode.

Solid construction

fast focus in low light
negative:It dwarfs my a200, zoom ring is opposite of what I'm used to with Tamron/Sony
comment:I got this from Adorama a few days ago- it is just over 3 lbs and heavy! Solid construction, I think I could use it a makeshift weapon if the occasion arose... Shooting a wedding in a few days, looking forward to breaking it in. Chose this over the Tammy 70-200 2.8 as I heard that the Tammy is slow in low light and prone to hunting- this lens is fast and quiet.

** After owning the lens for several months I still find it agreeable, albeit heavy, especially on the a900. Nonetheless, I will be using it again this summer for a few more weddings.

*** The 70-200/A900 combo kills the wrist...
reviewer#9524 date: Oct-23-2011
price paid:£795 (new)
positive:Sharp lens wide open at 200mm
negative:very heavy
comment:Just had this lens for a couple of days, initial impressions are very good solid build quality and very sharp wide open not as sharp as my Sigma 50mm 1.4 but then what is.
Bought from Panamoz.com great company to deal with came from Hong Kong to UK in 2 days! 3yr Sigma warranty
update done many weddings this season and have not changed my opinion of this great lens