Sigma AF 75-200mm F3.8 A-mount lens reviews

compared to:Minolta 75-300 New
Beercan 70-210
positive:Sharp stopped down
negative:Flare
comment:Rebadged Carl Zeiss Jena lens.

Competent but nothing special. Nothing like as good as the Minoltas.

All in all an average performer.
reviewer#10641 date: Nov-3-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5
Sigma 10-20
Tokina AT-X PRO 80-200 F2.8
price paid:around €20 shipped
positive:Compact
Solid construction
Very nice contrast and colors
negative:relatively hard to find
pump-action zoom
comment:Bought this lens by mistake actually! Was looking for the 75-200 F2.8-3.5 on ebay, and saw a listing for this lens. The seller didn't list the aperture, and this looked close to the F2.8-3.5 version so I thought it was that one. Got it for around €20 Euros shipped!

Upon receiving the lens and finding it wasn't the one I had originally thought it was, I searched google for this lens and boy was I in for a treat. Apparently, it is a rebadged Zeiss Jena, and it shows. Colors and contrast are really natural and at the time on my A100 it was pretty sharp even wide open.

Now on my A65, I still find its sharpness more than acceptable for my taste wide open. Stopped down to F8 it becomes really sharp, which is quite admirable considering this lens' age.

AF speed is descent though not fast on both A100 and A65 (not surprising when the focus ring rotates around 200 degrees from closest to infinity). and the front element rotates when focusing. But on the plus side, it feels confident and doesn't tend to hunt.

Build quality is typical Sigma, all metal. Really solid, and absolutely no play when fully extended at 200mm. In terms of size it is comparable to the Canon 55-250mm, though quite heavier

I haven't been able to spot any CA on this lens, at least not purple fringing.

All in all, I think its a very nice little lens that is certainly worth several times more than what I paid for it. To give an idea of how much I like this lens, it is the reason I sold my Tokina 80-200mm F2.8 AT-X PRO!