Sony AF 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 A-mount lens reviews

Minolta 75-300mm Big Beercan
Sigma 75-300 APO
price paid:kit package deal
positive:Cheap
ADI (not that it's used much)
lightweight
Everything about this lens is OK for the money, but as used lenses keep getting cheaper...
negative:Too many better lens choices out there at a similar cost.
Not sharp at the long end.
comment:This lens gets a bad rap from some folks. I just do not understand why anyone would overly bash it. You get what you pay for, and when it was new this lens represented a fair value. There has to be some cheaper lenses manufactured for those that need them. It is all plastic, but it isn't built all that badly. In fact, mine (now my wife's) functions smoothly and feels like everything is nice and tight. There is enough weight to it, to feel that it is put together fairly well. Under the standards of more expensive Sony offerings, but not bad. Tamron made a 100-300mm, that was of considerably worse build quality. I mean that thing deserves a 2 rating without hesitation. Yet somehow it is rated in these reviews as slightly better than the SAL75300. Goes to show that you can't always trust what people say! Really makes me wonder how many lenses on this site have misleading review scores.

Sharpness should be considered acceptable given what this lens is. But that doesn't mean you should go buy it. When comparing to better glass, yes it loses obviously, especially fully extended. Side by side shots against all three lenses I listed above show softness more and more as you approach 300mm. The kicker is that those lenses do not cost more than this Sony!

I'm not going to ramble on much about this lens. It is what it is. An affordable modern lens that absolutely will please your average casual user. If you got this as a package deal, cool. If you are reading this because you are considering this lens, I see no reasons to buy it. It makes alot more sense to step your game up. Used lens prices are down considerably right now. The Minolta 100-300 APO D can be bought in excellent used condition for a hair less than $200. Buy the Mino and you will never give the Sony another thought. The Sigma performs well also, but is a push-pull zoom. Also it may not work on a Sony SLT body. The Big Beercan is a solid choice, but bear in mind the extra weight!
reviewer#11309 date: Aug-13-2013
Normal Quality
reviewer#10549 date: Sep-28-2012
compared to:SAL-70300G, Tamron 70-200 F2.8
price paid:kit package
positive:(For the price): -Good bokeh & close focus -Reasonable IQ at lower focal lengths.
Easy to use, big grippy zoom ring. Relatively compact/discrete for FF and the FLs available. Pretty rugged for an inexpensive lens. Once it finds focus, it is reasonably sharp/accurate.
negative:Slow, mediocre contrast and CA at longer FLs. Autofocus slow and hunts, especially in lower light.
Cheaply-made flimsy hood (required for good flare control). The plastic hood is easy to break, and a replacement is nearly $30US!
comment:Got it as a package deal with my A100 years ago. Liked it enough that I kept it when I upgraded to FF. Have been surprised how often it is on my camera, and some of my favorite shots were taken over the years with this lens.

Great for outdoor candid shots and medium tele work, or for locations where you don't want your expensive glass to go. I also have an array of filters that I bought for other lenses with the same filter diameter, which has been very convenient: with a soft focus filter and good light, the lens works for senior/family portraits, etc. Out on the water, with a circular polarizing filter I have gotten shots friends with glass 10X the price haven't been able to get. The close focus allows it to function as a macro lens for outside flowers and bugs.

A good "jack of all trades" long lens.
reviewer#10498 date: Sep-10-2012
positive:pretty sharp stopped down
good zoom range
small, light, discrete
low distortion
nice color et smooth bokeh
work well on FF
negative:soft et huge CA wide open
front element turn when focusing
plastic
comment:For its price, this lens is good performer. Of course, the plastic construction does not inspire much confidence, but mechanically and optically, this lens is a good value for an amateur, who does not want to spend a fortune to have just a little better.
Between 100 - 200mm the image quality is good, and at 200mm, it is better than the "famous" beercan.
reviewer#10347 date: Jul-1-2012
positive:Price
Weight
Filter size
negative:Soft above 250
Seems to hunt too much
comment:Bought it years ago for the a100, before I knew about the Mind of Minolta and the good glass they made. The lens is now parked along with the 18-70 kit lens.
reviewer#9422 date: Sep-15-2011
price paid:Kit lens
positive:- Zoom range
- Cheap
negative:- Sharpness
- Build quality
reviewer#8980 date: Apr-30-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sigma 50-500mm (non OS version)
Sony 18-70mm DT (kit) zoom
Minolta 28-80mm
price paid:£200 I think
positive:Light-weight
Fairly compact size.
Effective lens hood.
Pretty cheap for filters (55mm)
It fits nicely with the 18-70mm kit zoom without any overlap.
negative:Rubber grip is a dust magnet although easy to clean.
Doesn't always produce sharp images.
I'd love a wider end, 50mm maybe?
comment:This was one of the two first lenses I ever bought for my a350. It has served me quite well although some situations have produced less than sharp pictures. This isn't always the fault of the camera/lens however.

Now, it lives on with the a580. The SAL75300 seems to manage with most weather situations that our UK climate will throw at it. The lens hood is not only effective at reducing flare, its also very good for protection against raindrops!

Although not an excellent match, I have paired this lens with my Kenko Teleplus 2x TC. Far easier to transport them both on foot than carrying a 500mm lens! IQ suffers though so you may want to watch out for that.

For the price, I suppose it was a decent buy. It fits nicely with the 18-70mm DT kit lens, giving a full range from 18-300mm without any overlap although I do curse the 75mm for not being wide enough at times! Its a keeper for my aps-c a580; I was surprised to read that its designed for Full Frame dSLR's!

reviewer#8839 date: Mar-28-2011
compared to:Minolta 70-210, 75-300, Sigma 70-300mm
positive:Light, good for female photographers.
negative:Very plastic...
The rubber grip get dirty easily
images sharpness un-impressive
comment:Borrowed this lens from a old friend's daughter to shoot some images during a family outing. Very disappointed with the sharpness even that this is a Kit long Lens. Feel very plastic...
reviewer#8838 date: Mar-28-2011
price paid:Part of kit
positive:+ small and light
+ cheap
negative:- CA is plentiful
- not really sharp at tele end
- front of barrel rotates during focus
comment:So, I came across this lens by chance, got it in a kit with a used A500 and the regular 18-55 kit lens.
I've taken it for a test during the weekend on my A700 and I am quite satisfied with the results it produced.

AF speed is reasonable at the tele end and is very fast at the "wide" part of the zoom. Although once it starts hunting it can take 2-3 seconds to traverse the entire focus range.
For the record I've managed to get two birds fighting in mid flight at 280mm with an overcast sky (So not completely ideal).
As for sharpness, it's pretty ok around 70mm, but goes very bad after 200mm.
300mm and f/11 does not yield as much detail as the sigma 50-500@300mm does wide open! (although the Sigma costs about 5x as much and is expected to deliver that much more)
70-100mm does not need much stopping down, 100-200 about f/8-9 and f/9 and above for 200mm+ would be my suggestion.

Another problem is color fringing (aka CA), as it is pretty bad on anything that is high contrast. White birds against an overcast sky are a big no-no for example.

And of course there is an engineering mistake that was made by minolta I guess (this is a rebranded Minolta AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 D I believe). When mounting the hood, the mounting mechanism is too stiff, and the barrel start to turn, which also turns the focus ring and the focus screw drive motor in the camera! I am very uneasy securing the hood on this lens when attached to my camera ...

Other than that, you get what you pay for.
A budget telephoto zoom that does more than enough for it's price.
reviewer#8727 date: Mar-2-2011
compared to:Tamron 70 300 Di
positive:Light
Affordable

negative:Soft over 200mm
Slow
comment:I sold my copy and kept the Tamron 70 300 Di. The Sony focuses faster than my Tamron But the Tamron starts at f4 and focuses closer. Both soft at 300mm.
reviewer#8474 date: Jan-4-2011
Even tones
negative:Heavy
comment:I have been real happy with this lens. It is sharper and has more detail than it's price-point would suggest. Microcontrast
makes it a nice portrait lens at it's wide end on crop cams.
reviewer#8082 date: Oct-12-2010
compared to:Minolta 75-300, Minolta 70-210 RS
price paid:$195 au
positive:Light, cheap, fast focusing, sharp, has Sony ADI
negative:It has really bad bokeh, very unattractive and overpowering, a little soft at 300, but below 270 it is fine.
comment:A good lens if you are shooting in a way that will not produce bokeh, the bokeh is so bad that it ruins shots.
reviewer#7816 date: Aug-14-2010
positive:-sharpness
-range
-lightweight
negative:-CA!!!
-MF ring not very smooth
comment:I have a mixed evaluation on this lens. First of all this is quite a sharp lens in my opinion. At 300mm and wide open this lens is much sharper than my 100-300 Xi and Tam SP 300mm and on par with or slightly sharper than my bigbeercan. On the other hand it suffers from quite severe CA especially when I take a bird or small object with the sky in the background. This CA seems to be the kind that is NOT correctable with software, so it must be the 'longitudinal' CA. bbc does not show CA almost at all in any situation. So am I going to sell this and keep the bbc? Probably not. This one weighs only 440g without caps or hood while bbc does 860g!!! In fact since I bought it I've been carrying this one almost all the time rather than bbc. CA does improve if not goes away when stopped down. Maybe I can live with this lens and in some occasions I will take my bbc with me until I get an ultimate telephoto lens. If only the CA problem is resolved this would be a killer lens and I would not look further in this class of lens.

So I can't understand why this lens is rated so low and Bigbeercan so high. The difference is actually minimal.
reviewer#7626 date: Jun-27-2010
compared to:- Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
price paid:Kit
positive:- Long zoom
- Good results for a entry level telephoto.
- Circular aperture blades
- Good bokeh!
- Works on Full Frame cameras!!!
negative:- Quickly jumps to f/5.6
- Lack of a true macro feature
- Small manual focus ring
- Dust collecting rubber grip
- Front element rotates while focusing
comment:This lens is a good performer, as an entry level telephoto lens. It's fairly well made, and takes reasonably sharp pictures.
This lens biggest handicap is it's speed. It jumps to f/5.6 at about 120mm
In low light is a no-go without a tripod... and focusing might give you a headache!
reviewer#7565 date: Jun-14-2010
Sigma 28-200/3.8-5.6
SOny 18-70/3.5-5.6
price paid:kit
positive:Cheap!
Actually takes very decent (and dare I say it ... good) pictures.
55mm filter
Very sharp up to 200.
negative:Hood is rubbish
CA can be bad - especially at long end if you don't stop down.
Auto focus can be terrible in limited circumstances.
comment:I got this lens with my a200 and there's no way I would part with it! I know alot of folk on Dyxum like to rubbish this lens - for 80% of tele shots you're ever going to take this lens will do a good job. It's sharper at 200mm than either of Sony's 'budget' mid zoom options (the 50-200 range)! Yes the auto focus can be a shocker and the CA is pronounced in some situations. None of this detracts from what at the end of the day is a very decent lens. I also have the Tamron 70-300 Macro and I do use that lens more often (the psuedo macro function is awesome!) but I think there'll be a place in my kit bag for this lens for a long time to come yet ...
reviewer#7540 date: Jun-7-2010
price paid:With kit
positive:Good starting lens to start and shoot with
Decent image once you hit within 75-150mm
Good grip for beginners to use with
negative:Slow AF, especially if you're shooting in low light
Hunts a bit if you have large contrast in the subject
Not a good lens to use in fading light, early afternoon is probably the limit to use with
Very noisy
IQ starts to fade once you hit beyond 200mm, especially at 300mm
comment:I initially start with this lens when I got the a200. It's a good lens to start off with. However, once you get over the basics, you'll probably want to ditch this lens and go higher. The lens doesn't allow a lot of growth after that, even more so with fast pace shots such as motorsports and the like.

I still keep this one as it has its purpose but definitely go for something better once you're over the beginner status.
reviewer#7415 date: May-7-2010
compared to:SAL1870DT
Minolta 70-210 f/3.5-4.5
Minolta 100-200 f/4.5
price paid:~200 USD (Kit)
positive:Good price
Nice reach
Non-photographers are impressed with it
negative:Slow for indoors use
Ugly 'Bokeh'
"Soft" @ 300mm
Rotates on Focus
Hunts more than I'd like to
Strong CA near 300mm
comment:I think that for the money this is a nice lens, it has very harsh bokeh though.
Having 300mm is very useful.
Hunts a bit in low light conditions.
reviewer#6933 date: Feb-19-2010
compared to:sony 18-70
minolta 28-85
minolta 50 1.7
price paid:Was in the kit
positive:Nice range
Sharp enough
negative:hate the hunting
comment:I used it at the MotoGP, and i got some really good results, nice for sports. Above 200mm it's wise to use a tripod. It's a nice lens for me. I don't use it much, but I wouldn't want to miss it either.
reviewer#6610 date: Dec-20-2009
price paid:Kit lens
positive:Lightweight, good extension to the 18-70 kit lens, good range, ok sharpness
negative:Slow AF, noisy
comment:Pretty decent results considering it came with the camera and for that price.
reviewer#6091 date: Sep-20-2009
af slow and noisy
CA
not sharp until f8
flaring in the sun
comment:i like the range of this lens, once again its a kit lens so dont expect much, but its reasonably sharp.
af is crummy, but i actually did some photos of jetski racing with this lens with quite reasonable results! atleast better results than my old fuji s9500!
reviewer#6074 date: Sep-17-2009
compared to:kit 18-70, 55-200
positive:good range
negative:not sharp
comment:55-200 have better sharpness and overalimage quality
reviewer#6054 date: Sep-15-2009
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:- Minolta 70-200mm f/4 (Beercan)
- Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO
positive:- cheap
- small & light
- full frame compatible
- circular aperture blades
negative:- not sharp (esp. at 300mm)
- chromatic aberration
positive:Focal Range
Lens Hood
negative:Slow Auto Focus
Fringe
comment:The lens is great. I managed to pick one up at Circuit City before it went out of business. The lens is slow to auto focus. It's easier, quieter and usually faster to manually focus this lens. There is a considerable amount of fringe in images taken at 300mm. At 75mm the lens performs quite well. At 300mm you will need a tripod for most shots. This is a great lens, just keep in mind you will probably have to spend some time in the digital darkroom adjusting many different levels. Shoot in RAW when using this lens. IT WILL HELP!!!
reviewer#5942 date: Aug-30-2009
Vivitar Series1 105/2.5
positive:Light
negative:Not Sharp from 250-300
Slow
comment:Bought this lens with my a350. It is reasonably good from 75-250 if you stop it down to f/6.3 at the wide end & f/7.1 at the tele end but from 250-300 it is soft whatever aperature. I ams elling this as i have a big berrcan on the way.
reviewer#5850 date: Aug-13-2009
compared to:18-70mm kit lens
price paid:L176
Light
negative:Appalling CA
Slow AF
comment:This was the first lens I bought for my A200 and must admit to being thoroughly disappointed with it.

Just after I got it I went to a local zoo to try it out. The purple fringing is horrific over 200mm. I have photos of black, white and purple Zebras. This is not just a faint purple fringe but deep halo that passes through purple to deep blue.

I have perservered with this lens due to limited funds and now shoot at a maximum of 200mm. At around 160mm I have found it to be very sharp.
reviewer#5734 date: Jul-20-2009
compared to:SAL 55-200mm
price paid:In kit (A200W)
positive:- Cheap
- Light
- Good range
- Sharp < 200mm
negative:- CA (fringing), very bad wide open at 300mm
- Not as sharp > 200mm
- MFD could be better
- Slow AF
comment:A good yet underrated value zoom. Don't discount this lens due to the Dyxum score, which I imagine suffers simply due to it being a 'kit' lens and for being a 450mm equivalent which can be difficult to work with.

The lens does have some limitations. It's slow, already at f/5.6 by 120mm. It focuses accurately (albeit slowly), but if it misses it goes on an excruciatingly long hunting trip. The 1.5m MFD is disappointing.

Build seems fine, although the filter ring rotates on focus.

Up until about 200mm it's actually very sharp wide open, and I don't feel a need to stop down on my A200. It performs just as well as the much more highly rated SAL 55-200mm through that range.

Wide open near 300mm sharpness is reduced and it suffers from substantial CA in high contrast shots. If you shoot at F/8 it's sharp again, but the fringing is still a problem no matter how much you stop down, and that is clearly the biggest weakness of this lens.

Its second hand prices are quite nice, so if you're looking to get to 300mm on the cheap it's a great choice. On the other hand, if you don't need 200-300mm (or full frame), the more portable and faster 55-200mm may be a more practical option.
reviewer#5592 date: Jun-25-2009
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:- 18-70mm (kit lens)
- 55-200mm (kit lens)
price paid:140 SGD (used)
positive:- great range
- cheap
negative:- slow AF and noise
comment:This lens becomes my main tele-zoom lens for a period. AF quite slow, and sometimes I need to help with manual focus. AF also produces noisy sound. But overall I quite satisfied with the results. For high ISO (400+), this lens helps to produce nice color. Need to adjust to f8 and below to produce better sharpness. But, overall this lens passes my mark judge by its price.
reviewer#5456 date: May-26-2009
compared to:Sony Kit 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
Minolta 35-70mm f4
Minolta 50mm f1.7
price paid:kit lens
positive:Good zoom for kit (now only 200mm, I believe).
Decent sized hood (although plasticy and cheap)
negative:Colour not great
AF can be very slow
Soft at far end
comment:I don't have much to compare with this (beercan or big beercan would be the replacement for this), but this has been a reasonably good lens for me. Colour and image quality is not as good as the Minolta lenses (although this is probably to be expected), but I have taken some good outdoor portraits with this.

(For beginners - like me- note that zoomy end will probably require a tripod. I know from experience!)
reviewer#5221 date: Apr-12-2009
compared to:Minolta AF 35-70 F3.5-4.5
Sony AF DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6
Sony AF 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sigma AF 90 F2.8 Macro
Minolta AF 28 F2.8
price paid:$280
positive:300mm,
negative:color fringing, low light, not too sharp
reviewer#5163 date: Apr-4-2009
compared to:Sony - AF 70-300 F4.5-5.6 G SSM
Sony - AF DT 55-200 F4-5.6
Sigma - AF 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC
positive:+ Cheap
negative:- Low resolution
- Slow and noise focusing
comment:Acquired from 2nd hand market. Tried for 3 months but cannot reach my image quality standard. Then I sold it.
reviews found: 56    1 2 >>