Sony AF DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#11774 date: Apr-17-2014
compared to:Sony 18-70 kit lens
price paid:$50
positive:Cheap
Better image quality than 18-70mm Sony kit lens.
negative:Build quality sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!
comment:Sony has updated this lens. My understanding is the second version is better built, and I would assume this solves the lousy zoom action.

I bought this lens cheap on Ebay, in an attempted upgrade from the 18-70 that came with my camera. Decent photos for the money, but I couldn't tolerate the zoom so I returned it. Maybe mine was worse than most. I could see grooves worn inside the lens body, caused by moving zoom parts. There was significant tension, causing a very stiff zoom movement. The worst I have ever felt in a lens. Even if mine was a bad copy, I would never recommend this lens. The build quality of this mass produced plastic lens is not good. If you want a dirt cheap wide angle for your cropped body, go with the second version of this lens. It seems to get less complaints.
reviewer#11748 date: Mar-30-2014
compared to:- Minolta AF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
- Konica Minolta DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM
positive:- Good sharpness
- Superb color accuracy and contrast
- Almost natural bokeh
- SAM drive for video AF
- Smooth focus ring mechanism
- Light weight with plastic mount
- Hairline steel finishing on the front of zoom ring
negative:- A little bit stiff on zoom ring machenism
comment:It's not necessary to write this review since find out various of country of origin on this lens model.

I bought this lens since initial release of DSLR-A500 and A550, it's a Japan made lens comes with clean condition.

When I explore most of second hand shops today, they are selling Thailand made lenses in stock, they may comes with next generation of Alpha DSLRs / SLTs. It a good choice and highly recommended either.

Some of the latest batch of this lens model might come from China. We should concern about the manufacturing quality of them, since some of A-mount users figured out the China made Sony 85mm f/2.8 SAM comes with glue traces on front element is quite difficult to swipe out.
reviewer#11669 date: Feb-2-2014
compared to:Sony 18-70 KIT
Minolta 35-70/4
Helios 44M 58/2 made in USSR fix lens
price paid:usd 30
positive:Low cost. Convenient zoom range. Good sharpness and colour. Smooth focus.Extra good macro feature.
negative:Sharpness and colour are not as good as Minolta all known zoom lens. Zoom ring is hard to move from 35 to 55 mm.
comment:All in all this lens is obviously better than previous kit Sony 18-70. I bought 18-55 to replace 18-70 because I could not tolerate 18-70's poor IQ. I wanted a cheap not bad lens for zoom 18- and could not find any. It's low cost is due to mass production. Otherwise it should cost more. The best of all inexpensive lens is Helios 44m fix. Stepped down to /4 it's sharpness and contrast are unbeatable.
reviewer#11477 date: Nov-12-2013
compared to:Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
price paid:came with camera ...
positive:Good value for Money
OK Picture quality
negative:Not Sharp
Plastic feel
comment:Plastic feel lightweight lens, not as good after using it for a while as I thought when getting it originally. Unsharp pictures, not very usable at all indoors for me.
reviewer#11216 date: Jun-29-2013
compared to:Minolta - AF 35-70 F3.5-4.5
price paid:70 EUR
positive:-silent
-nice feel and look
-nice priced
negative:-none
comment:I had bought this lens for my Sony A330, after using my old Minolta lenses on that body for about 6 months. I didn't know what to expect, but I was certainly pleased with the results on my 10MP body. I found the price really sharp and I was delighted with the results of the pictures I made with this lens.
reviewer#11173 date: Jun-2-2013
compared to:Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP
Pentax 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar (M42)
Sony DT 55-300mm
price paid:Kit Lens
Decently Sharp
Reasonable CA Control
negative:Poor build quality
Mediocre colour/contrast
Rotating front element
No lens hood
comment:First the good part. Sharpness is decent and perhaps just behind the Tamron and 55-300 DT at it's short end. But sorry Tamron and Sony, the 40 year old Pentax lens beats the lot of ya at f2.8 and smaller apertures.

CA and purple fringing is mild and easily corrected. Big barrel distortion at the short end, but this is typical of standard zooms.

Ever since I bought my A65 with this lens, I felt that images were a bit dull and lacking any real "pop". Having just bought the Tamron 17-50 my feelings have been vindicated. The Tammy produces images of significantly better contrast and more saturation. I was a little surprised at the difference. My rating of 4 for colour for the 18-55 may be a bit kind.

And so to build quality. I really don't care about metal vs plastic even for lens mounts. This lens is all plastic, but that doesn't concern me. I do care about usability and whether bits wobble around. The 18-55 is pretty poor. Movement of the zoom ring is far from smooth, the focus ring is tiny and horrible to use. There is wobble in the barrel when fully extended. It's all a bit too cheap and nasty for my liking.

I suppose the 18-55 is quite decent for the price, but the extra cost of say the Tamron 17-50 or even the Sony 16-50 will, I think, be justified for most people in terms of better image quality, speed and usability. Not really recommended.
reviewer#11148 date: May-31-2013
compared to:Minolta 18-70
Sigma 17-35s, 18-50s
Tamron 17-50
positive:Very sharp -all apertures, all focal lengths
Lightweight
Cheap
Great IQ for the price
negative:Build - plastic mount
Distortion at wide end

comment:Great little lens for the price - Worth shopping around for a good copy if you don't need a faster f2.8

This sample made in Japan
reviewer#11114 date: May-15-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sony 18-55 SAM,Sony 18-70, Minolta 50 1.7, ...
price paid:Kit lens
positive:Sharp, sharp, sharp!
negative:Not much.
comment:This lens is a mass produced, because it is a kit lens. This is a reason why different samples can vary in quality. I was pretty lucky when I received one with a Sony a230 couple of years ago. Latter I bought a55 and received another 18-55 kit lens. My brother and one good friend of mine owns that lens too, but none of them is even close to this first sample. First sample is just unbeatable in any sense. It is razor sharp, very good flare control, no trace of CA... I really love it, and image quality can't be beaten even by some much more expensive lenses. So, when buying the camera or this lens separately, just pray for a good copy and you will be very happy.
reviewer#11061 date: Apr-22-2013
positive:useful length range
quiet
light
negative:time will tell
plastic mount
comment:I am more familiar with a couple Pentax and Nikon MF lenses. This being my first AF lens I am very pleased with the function and versatility. The plastic mount is slightly concerning, my MF lenses are older and all metal, but I plan on babying this lens and camera so it doesn't keep me up all night. I've attempted some quasi-macro shots with this lens and get a nice bokeh. I've seen slight distortion when shooting up close at 18mm, which I liked. All in all, I'll be holding on to this lens. I plan on picking up one other lens, somewhere in the 70-300 range or 70-210, so this nice kit lens will come in handy for family events.
reviewer#11059 date: Apr-21-2013
compared to:Minolta 28-105/3.5-4.5 RS
Tamron SP 28-75/2.8
price paid:<100 $
positive:compact, light weight
very Sharp!
fast focus speed
inexpensive
great focal range for most situations
short focal distance, macro
negative:plastic mount
zoom ring moves not so fluent
comment:Best kit lens, for this price. If stopped down, this lens is very, very sharp! If you want a cheap lens, with great IQ, reasonable fast focus speed and not to worry about break-it or lose, SAM 18-55 is your lens!
reviewer#11057 date: Apr-20-2013
compared to:Minolta AF 28-105 F3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 50 F1.7 RS
price paid:Kit lens (A55)
positive:-Weight
negative:-plastic mount
-CA
-rotating front element
-no hood
-Zoom ring scrubs.
-Veiling haze at 55mm (must be stopped down to avoid this).
-Soft corners at wide angle.
comment:This lens came to me together with my A55 (Kit lens). I stopped to use this lens immediatelly after I bought an used Minolta AF 28-105 F3.5-4.5. I must rate sharpness only 3.5 because my copy has really soft borders at wide angle (must be stopped down to avoid this). I've also noticed CA that can be very disturbing under some light conditions. I didn't have any problems with flares like the other users.
reviewer#11019 date: Apr-6-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
price paid:0 USD (kit lens)
positive:-A good starter lens. Usually comes as part of a kit or can be had for cheap
-great for videos as lens is silent when focusing
negative:Plastic lens mount
poor on low light situations
comment:btw I had two of these as they came with the a230 and a37 kit.
there was a slight difference in picture quality from the lens that came with the a37, i noticed the lens from the a37 was a bit sharper.

reviewer#10947 date: Feb-26-2013
price paid:25 usd used
positive:Good lense for start
comment:Well its very good for the price,autofocus prety fast and quiet,much less noisy that 18-70 one.Very light.
reviewer#10788 date: Dec-16-2012
compared to:Minolta 28-105
price paid:0.0
positive:-Sharp, especially at 55
-Minolta colors
-very good flare control
-superb close-focus ability
-compact & light-weight
-fast, accurate focus in good light
-cheap if you have to buy
negative:-obvious distortion of vertical plane at wide end (mostly close objects such as lamp posts etc, but easily corrected in lightroom)
-somewhat plasticky build
comment:Had this lens come with my a33 and also my a57. My newer version has a smoother zoom barrel, while the older one was a bit sticky half way. Very plastic design and build, and rather loose focus ring at front. Aside from this, this is actually a very good kit lens, known to be greatly superior to its Canon counterpart. I have always liked this lens a lot, especially its beautiful colors, focus accuracy and very good level of sharpness. When shooting at 55mm, gives superb IQ, especially as a macro-lens. I use this for flowers and insects, and with a Raynox 250 on the front, it becomes a razor sharp microscope lens surpassing £600 macro lenses. I cant ever see myself buying a more expensive 18-55, because all other lenses do not have the fantastic close-up ability.
reviewer#10758 date: Dec-7-2012
nice colours
weight
negative:little flare
distortion on 18mm
comment:This lens is very sharp wide open, razor sharp when stopped down. It has very low weight so it's good for longer walks and trips. It has visible barrel distortion at 18mm, but it can be repaired in editor. Distortion is very good between 24 and 55 mm. I really like this lens.
reviewer#10683 date: Nov-10-2012
negative:build seems very cheap
noisy
slow
only 3.5
comment:1st of all I'm a newbie, I've only had my camera for less than a week and I'm trying out different lenses.

I must admit after reading so many reviews of this lens I was a little disappointed. I received mine as part of a used kit, but estimate it added $50 onto the cost.

I can't believe Sony was charging $200 for this. I would want my money back if I bought it at that price. The range of 18-55mm is a good, so I want to keep lens for its versatility but I think I'll grab something else as a everyday lens.

Mine is used and seems have some trouble going out past 35mm on auto focus. If I put it on MF move it to 55mm and then switch back to AF it does fine. Maybe my lens is damaged maybe this is the design. I haven't seen anyone else complain about it so I'm thinking its just mine.

Really I don't have much experience but if I was only going to carry two lenses (one in the bag and one on the camera) I would carry my Minolta 50mm prime and my Sigma 28-80mm and leave the SAL1855 at home. I only have one longer lens (sigma 70-210), and I'm not that excited about it.

This lens isn't listed as a macro but does almost as well as the Minolta & Sigma 28-80mm "macro" lenses. I took some close up pictures of a $5 bill and it did very well, but its just lacking on the far side.

I might just keep the SAL1855 for my wife, so nothing that I actually want gets messed up.

I could love this lens if they took the build style of the Maxxum kit lenses added a macro switch and kept the 18-55 focus range with the same sharpness at a min 3.0 aperture. But, I guess that's a $400 lens that everyone would want to buy.
reviewer#10269 date: Jun-6-2012
price paid:came with camera
positive:Great images, especially stopped up.
Lightweight.
Cheap.
Very good color rep.
Pretty decent flare control
negative:A little distortion, especially at 18mm (which can be fixed).
comment:I wasn't expecting much out of the kit lens, but I sure was surprised. This lens does have a cheap feel to it, but it does what it's suppose to do. Pretty good colors, flare control and sharpness. But, there is some distortion...especially at 18mm which I use LR4 to fix. Other than that, this is a pretty good kit lens.
reviewer#10246 date: May-29-2012
compared to:Sony 18-70mm SAL1870
price paid:80.00
positive:Compact, light
Internal motor
negative:Zoom ring is jerky and catches.
comment:I used this with my Sony A55. It's okay, but not really as sharp as my Sony 18-70mm. The jerky zoom ring was a big turnoff. The SAL1870 was much better in that regard. It was smooth.
reviewer#10218 date: May-16-2012
compared to:Minolta 50mm 1.7
Sigma 70-300mm
price paid:Around 150 USD
positive:Zoom range
Focus range
Colors
negative:Full of plastic
Focus ring isn't the best
comment:Really cool effects with a film camera. On a 35mm film this lens could be called an ultra wide, but 35mm Sony DSLR's have this thing that they crop the image with a APS-C size lens. But still a very good lens.
reviewer#10134 date: Apr-22-2012
compared to:Sigma 18-125
positive:sharp
color
compact
negative:plastic
in set is not hood
comment:For this price is very good lens
reviewer#10115 date: Apr-13-2012
not heavy
good range (even on APS-C)
good beginner lens
minimum focus distance
sharp
beautiful colors
negative:distortions on high contrast
plastic
focus-ring has no grip, so its not very usable for manual focusing
comment:I'm a beginner, and this is my first lens (was in the Sony alpha SLT-A35K kit).
The lens is very good for beginners, it's cheap but sharp and makes good pictures. Positive is also the very small minimum focus distance. 0.25 m are very near for taking beautiful photos of flowers etc.

The only thing I think is bad is that when you take photos from a high-contrast motive (for example a tree's branches in front of a very bright, cloudy sky), the edges are not really sharp.
reviewer#10076 date: Apr-2-2012
compared to:Sony AF DT 55-200 F4-5.6
Sony AF DT 55-200 F4-5.6
Sony AF DT 50 F1.8
Minolta AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 D
positive:good alternative for a wide lens
sharp (especially stepped down)
cheap
weight
good AF
nice color
flare is well controlled
negative:focus ring can be jerky
comment:I can't believe people give this kit lens such bad reviews. Its miles better than the old kit 18-70 in every way. I think it is sharp even at max wide open aperture at all focal lengths, in the central portion of the frame. Yes, corner sharpness is not great at larger apertures but the corners sharpen up quite considerably at one stop above max aperture. Nothing new, I'm pretty sure most zoom lenses have similar performance characteristics.

Great little performer and useful when I want a lighter, smaller standard zoom.
reviewer#10046 date: Mar-22-2012
compared to:18-55 Canon kit
price paid:Kit
positive:Really sharp, not very heavy, nice all around range on APS-C, good AF speed.
negative:Feels cheap (well - it is!), could use just a tad more range.
comment:Actually, this little thing is a gem. Compared to my former Canon 18-55 kit lens, this thing is sharp as hell. Never had the AF hunt. It does indeed feel really cheap with all the plastic but then again, it IS cheap.
Value for money is hard to beat.
reviewer#9887 date: Feb-5-2012
Minolta 28 f/2.8
Sony DT 35 f/1.8
Sony DT 50 f/1.8
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
positive:Sharp, lightweight, range, AF Speed, a lot of lens for the money.
negative:Plastic mount, feels cheap. No rear lens cover.
comment:Sharp through the range except for left edge at 24-28mm, and then only at f=4-4.5 (fully open). Flare control better than Minolta, colors worse. Build is a little cheap, but so is the Minolta kit lens 28-80. Nice walk around lens, perfect range will keep it until I buy Sony 16-50 2.8.
Bought it as part of kit together with camera.
reviewer#9844 date: Jan-24-2012
compared to:Tamron 17-50
price paid:£0.00
lightweight
negative:Plastic
comment:For a starter lens, this is more than adequate, My copy is sharp and it was made in china, ;-)

Cheap secondhand.
reviewer#9811 date: Jan-18-2012
compared to:SAL 1870
positive:- Light
negative:- SAM is a bit noisy
comment:Kit lens from A550 and A33. Besides the range, overall performance is much better than SAL1870.
reviewer#9788 date: Jan-14-2012
Light
Accurate AF
negative:Build
Distortion at wide end
comment:This copy is very sharp across the range and at all apertures. Better than the Sigma at all focal lengths below f5.6. At 18mm f3.5 it blows the Sigma away.

Light, portable and probably wouldn't suffer much damage if dropped.

If you don't need the larger apertures a f2.8 lens gives, recommended IF you can get a good sample.

This sample was made in Thailand.
reviewer#9767 date: Jan-8-2012
lightwieght
quick auto focus
negative:plastic
add-on pricing
comment:Nice kit lens that come with the package but I certainly wouldn't pay the "separate price" for one if I had body only. I use it mainly as a walkabout lens in situations where I need the wider end than my Tamron 28-200. I use these 2 lenses only in situations where changing lenses is a hassle. I compromise a bit of quality for convenience.
reviewer#9726 date: Dec-28-2011
distortion 18-25 mm
noise
rotating front element
no hood
comment:I found in one Sony shop a55 with this lens in the price that was cheaper than any price in that time only for the a55 body so I took it - it was January 2011 so I have now one year experience with this lens.
It looks like a toy but I was amazed by the sharpness and colour spectrum. But after deeper exploration I have noticed that there is small difference in my copy in sharpness in the corners on the right side i.e. to be really sharp at 18 mm left side need F11 and right side F16, at 55 mm left side is OK from F5,6 but right side need F9. Just to be fair and precise this is valid mainly for shots for short distance where some sharp edges are in the corners - for landscape shots and "infinity" shots it is not recognizable but still is valid to get sharp photos F9 or better F11 is a need = so not the best option for low light photography.
I don't mind it's plastic - after one year it works without problems and on the other hand I like it is small and lightweight.
The second reason to find another all-around basic zoom was taking movies / the noise and clicking of the AF is annoying and destroying result of very high quality video.
Final words - taking into consideration I got it for free and I have a lot of very nice A4 prints taken by this lens I keep it as a spare basic zoom and I think it is good "starting point" with APS-C cameras - great value for the spent money.
reviewer#9669 date: Dec-6-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Maxxum 35-105, 35-105N, 28-85, 24-105, Sony 35 1.8 other Maxxum glass.
positive:Nice range, MFD, quick and accurate focusing
negative:build, slow
comment:Picked up a Japan made version of this lens from KEH in mint like new condition. I am quite frankly so far astounded at how good it is. Fast and accurate focusing on A 700 / A100 and great, sharp images so far......same exact colors as my Sony 35 1.8. Not "Minolta magic" colors but very good.
Did I get lucky and snag a sweet copy?
Maybe, but it sure is good! Very pleased. Has put the 24-105 on the bench.
reviews found: 94    1 2 3 4 >>