Sony Carl Zeiss 24mm F2 ZA SSM Distagon T* A-mount lens reviews

solid feeling
silent AF
negative:flares
not heavy but not light
comment:Silent and fast AF, great colors, nice feelings of this lens. Not good in lens flare resist and in CA but CA in LR is easy to edit.
reviewer#25512 date: Mar-1-2016
compared to:Many Minolta and Sony lenses
price paid:$800
Colors
Micro contrast
Size
negative:Pricey
slight wave distortion
comment: I tried this lens at a Sony store in Texas. I liked it immediately. It has good sharpness and colors, and is not too big. I tried it out on several camera bodies and it performs well. I shot 2 rolls of Ektachrome 100VS and the results were stunning(to me).
reviewer#25511 date: Mar-1-2016
compared to:Minolta 20/2.8 (old)
price paid:756 eur (new)
positive:The overall characteristics, the sharpness, the controlled distortion, the build, the SSM motor, the size/weight...
negative:Always use the supplied lens-hood or you often get unwelcome flare from the sun.
comment:Many of the prints on my walls are photos shot using this lens, and it says it all for me.
Note that it takes a bit of learning to use: because it's wide angle doesn't mean you are always focused to infinity, with everything sharp in the picture! The EVF makes checking for this accuracy easy.
And wide angle lenses must be kept spot clean!
reviewer#12107 date: Jan-25-2015
compared to:Minolta 20mm f2.8 and Minolta 28mm f2.0
price paid:1349.00USD
positive:Nice colors and very sharp.
negative:None.
comment:I had a hard time deciding between this lens and the 28mm f2 Minolta, but in the end the size of the lens and the size of my a77 balance each other very well. I have not used this lens on FF so I don't have an opinion.
reviewer#11566 date: Dec-29-2013
compared to:Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Sigma 85mm f/1.4
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
positive:MFD!!!
Colours
35(6)mm on a cropsensor camera
negative:flare
comment:I was looking for a equivalent 35mm lens on my A57.
I like to use it for MFD, the effect in close-up portrets of my children (or adults) are just lovely.
Sharp @f/2.0, super sharp @f/2.8
Yes, flare is a issue when you point the lens into the sun, something I can live with for the very (VERY) nice bokeh it can produce.

I love the 3D effect it give to my pictures

Very happy with this purchase.

I will need to find a nice (real) 35mm lens when I finaly buy into fullframe...... Looking forward to the full 24mm (-;

After a year use, this still is my favorite lens to use on my A57. It's on 95% of the time and just gives one after another of great pictures.

-----
20-3-2016
The 24mm has more distortion on my A7s. And it takes a different approach in photographing on a full-frame. Quality of colour and contrast is still wonderful! Not my first choice of lens on full-frame, but if I want to get close and nice bokeh background is delivers plenty!
reviewer#11397 date: Oct-22-2013
compared to:SAL2470f28z
price paid:$35 rental
positive:Nice size
Good flare resistance.
Image rendition (Sharpness with "more"
negative:The hood - Plastic and finicky to place - Maybe because it was a rental lens - Not sure.
comment:I rented this lens for a quick fall leaf colour trip. Typically I would not review a lens that I used so little time (2 days) but I did find it very nice. The shot of the light house (in the photos section) impressed me with the flare control. What really appealed to me is the size. on the a99 it is a breeze to use an entire day compared to the weight of 24-70.
reviewer#10971 date: Mar-12-2013
compared to:sigma 30 f1.4 ex
sigma 50 f1.4 ex hsm
price paid:1200usd used
positive:reasonably sharp at f2.0, sharp at f2.8 onwards
build quality is great
AF is good speed
negative:very very very poor AF accuracy
expensive
chromatic aberrations wide open
comment:pretty good lens, but i expected more because it was my first Zeiss lens.
at first, i thought the lens was back focusing, but with more testing. it was just very poor AF accuracy. i wish i didnt buy this. disapointing.
reviewer#10942 date: Feb-26-2013
compared to:Minolta 24 2.8
price paid:1000 CHF
positive:
comment:in fine: a Dreamlens
reviewer#10887 date: Feb-1-2013
compared to:N/A
positive:AF- fast, quiet, accurate
Bokeh- beautiful
Built like a tank
Large aperture
Very sharp from f/2.8+
negative:Expensive, that's it. No flaws. Well, the focal plane wide open is wavy, but only slightly and more to the edges.
comment:"Perfect" walkaround lens on a crop sensor. Perfect focal length, the bokeh is quite good forward and back, and it is fast and sharp even when the sun goes down. Very good overall "feel" on the a77. The focus ring is perfect in feel and throw, and with focus peaking a night of manual focus is fun shooting.

This is one of my "rock and roll" lenses for shooting bands on dark stages. I usually shoot entire sets wide open with an excellent hit rate. At f/2, the focal plane is slightly wavy, so if you have the AF point set to off-center, the center might not be as sharp as you expect. This rarely shows up, but it is the only quirk with this lens. Outside stopped down to f/2.8 or more and it is super sharp. Another nice touch is the button on the side. I use this a lot in its default as a focus hold, but it can be remapped to another function on most of the Alphas.

Update: I have now used this lens quite a bit on the a99, and on a full frame it is even better! Getting the full 24mm FOV is a real treat-- it is almost cheating how easy it is to get good shots. I still use it for bands on dark stages, but my shooting style has to change to accomodate the extra width. Some venues do not let me get close enough to get the types of shots I was used to with the a77. Nonetheless, even at f/2 it is sharp corner to corner. Outdoors stopped down a bit it really shows its worth.

Update 2: On the a99ii it is perfect! Subject tracking, object tracking, facial recognition all work extremely well. I get the focus nailed on my subject(s) shot after shot, even with fast moving subjects in dim light.

It would be nice if it didn't cost so much, but it does and I think it is worth it.
reviewer#10804 date: Dec-26-2012
compared to:- Minolta 2.8/24mm AF
- Carl Zeiss T* 2.8/24-70mm ZA SSM
positive:see comment
negative:see comment
comment:A few days ago is bought myself a new Carl Zeiss T* 2/24mm ZA to replace my 25 years old Minolta 2,8/24mm AF to use on my Sony A-900 . I also own a Carl Zeiss T* 2,8/24-70 ZA . The reason why i bought the CZ 2/24mm ZA was to get a better overall quality than the Minolta and to get a much better corner sharpness than the 2,8/24-70 at 24mm .

After a few test shots on a tripod where i shot the same scene with the 3 lenses with different apertures ( 2,8 - 5,6 - 11 ) all the same settings and focussed on the same object , i came to the following conclusion .

1 ) The CZ 2/24mm ZA isn't 24mm but rather 25mm . I has a little less wide angel than the two other lenses . I know Zeiss also makes a Distagon T* 2/25mm ZF.2 lens and a Distagon T* 2/25mm ZE lens , both are manual focus lenses . Could it be that the ZA is the same as the ZE and ZF.2 but than with autofocus ?

2 ) The vignetting of the CZ 2/24mm ZA is much less than the Minolta 2,8/24mm especially at wider apertures . ( 2,8 - 4 - 5,6 )

3 ) The distortion of the CZ 2/24mm ZA is just a little less than the Minolta 2,8/24 mm almost negligible .

4 ) The sharpness of the CZ 2/24mm ZA is only better than the Minolta 2,8/24 mm at wider apertures ( 2,8 - 4 - 5,6 ) . To shoot landscapes at aperture 8 - 11 to get enough depth of field the sharpness is almost the same .

5 ) When compared to the CZ 2,8/24-70 ZA the center sharpness of the CZ 2,24 ZA is practically the same and only the corner sharpness is a bit better , it has less distortion and little less vignetting .

So i am a little bit disappointed . I expected more of this lens compared with the 25 years old Minolta . The CZ 2/24 ZA is better but not really spectacular what you would expect considering the fame of Carl Zeiss , the price and the fact that the Minolta 2,8/24 uses technology from 25 years ago .

All over the internet you can read in tests and reviews from owners how fantastic the Carl Zeiss T* 2/24mm ZA is . The same with the Carl Zeiss T* 2,8/24-70 ZA . But both lenses don't surprise me ! Do i expect to much considering the price and the fame of Carl Zeiss ???

One lens that really surprised me the last few years was the Sony 4-5,6/70-400 G . It surprised me more than both the Zeiss lenses ! If you expect less you get more , when you expect a lot you get less ?!

I think that a lot of reviews from users aren't as honest as it should be . I think that someone who has bought a expensive lens has the tendency to overestimate his purchase rather than to face the facts !
reviewer#10657 date: Nov-5-2012
compared to:Sigma 30mm F/1.4
Nokton Voitlander F/.95 on GH2
Sony 16-50 DT
price paid:1000 used
positive:Brightest / widest lens you can buy that is sharp @ F/2.
SSM is quiet
Build quality
negative:Perhaps flare control
comment:This lens LIVES on my A99. It's relatively lightweight compared to the mini-brick 24-70CZ, is sharp wide-open and very solid build-wise.
I also had to do about a -3 Micro AF adjustment on both my A77 and Sony a99. Keep in mind that this lens has a very short minimum focusing distance; I had done my micro AF adjustments probably TOO CLOSE and over-adjusted it. Step back a ways to do the Micro AF.
There's nothing else out there like it for Sony. Sigma makes a 20, 24, 28mm F/1.8's that can't really compare to this lens - they aren't as sharp nor have the quiet focusing of SSM.
Can't recommend it enough for gorgeous full-frame 24mm goodness.

Also, for those that shoot video - the focus noise is a tad louder than the 16-50, and also much quicker to focus (The 24). Pick your poison.
reviewer#10520 date: Sep-19-2012
compared to:85mm f/1.4 CZ
E-mount 16mm f/2.8
positive:SSM is super quiet and fast
Beautiful colors
Built very nice
negative:Needed AF Micro Adjustment
Plastic hood
comment:I bought this lens for my preordered A99 but I have been able to look at it on my A77. This thing needed an AF Micro Adjustment of -3 on my A77. Nothing too bad, just a little off at f/2. Super Sonic Motor is very quiet, super quick to grab. The Lens is very wide, I am still trying to get used to it. I think it can be perfect. I need some more time with it. I will update this when I get the A99.

Updated on 10/12/2012 to reflect testing on the A900. I don't think I was truly ready to have the 24mm experience. This lens is so wide, the only thing I can compare it to is the 16mm pancake on the Nex. It brings in a ton more light than I expected at f/2. It needed a slight micro adjustment on the A900 as well. I like the way it feels.

Updated on 1/4/2013 to reflect use on A99. This lens shines in video and does not require micro adjustment on the A99. The SSM is really awesome for video. The large depth of field is also helpful. This is my go-to lens for video.
reviewer#10418 date: Jul-31-2012
SAL 20f28
price paid:1398.00 USD
Colors
MFD
negative:Lens hood feels a bit cheep — albeit, it is felt lined.
comment:Perfectly sharp in lowlight and f2 and/or good light at f8-f11. The mfd allows me to get right-up-close to a subject (e.g. a flower) for a wide angle shot. Normally, you don't think in terms of bokeh on a 24mm lens, but it is extremely good on this lens as well. Indeed, this is the perfect lens!
reviewer#10416 date: Jul-30-2012
compared to:Sony 16-50
Sony 35 F1.8
Sony 50 F1.4
Sony 85 F2.8
positive:Build, speed, weight, IQ
negative:Nothing
comment:Firstly, I have only owned this lens a few days so currently have awarded "5" for each category - I have read about flare issues, but to date (largely due to this English summer!) I have not noticed any. However, I can say that speed of focusing is very fast, IQ is excellent, the build quality is top drawer and it sits very well on the A77 - very nicely balanced. As well as working as a wide angle it also can be used as a walk around, portraits and is pretty sharp on close ups of flowers and insects. a real all rounder. It is much faster focusing than any of my other three primes and IQ is better (but not by miles). Compared to the 16-50 the IQ is better and speedof focus also is faster. So, my favourite lens of the five but then it was the most expensive. Was it worth it - I could afford it so yes. Though I guess if I did not own it I would never have known what I was missing. Just glad I did buy it.
reviewer#10270 date: Jun-7-2012
-Colors
-Silent AF
-Low Distortion
negative:-Flare control
comment:Great top lens, has only one defect (flare).
reviewer#10259 date: Jun-2-2012
compared to:Samyang 14 2.8 Minolta 24 2.8
positive:Very solid build except hood. Very sharp wide open.

Finally third one is perfect!
negative:I bought 2 samples already. Both have AF issues. First had giant backfocus. Current one have slight ff. It is unacceptable for 1500 usd lens.
comment:Shame for sony QC.

UPDATE
If you will be patient to find working one - you wont regret it. Glass is very impressive
reviewer#10248 date: May-29-2012
compared to:SAL1650, SAL16105, SAL30M28, Minolta 28/2.8, Flektagon 2.8/3.5 Carl Zeiss Jena
price paid:around 1700USD new
positive:All parameters are excellent. Close focus down to 19cm.
SSM is great. No distortion on APS-C.
negative:A bit heavy, but that's OK. Price tag.
comment:This is an exceptional lens. If price is not an issue then go for it. You will definitely not regret it despite the price. On the negative side this lens forces you to understand there is no equivalent for a prime lens, hence the lust for newer prime ones with premium quality. I do hope there will be SAL50M20Z and SAL100M20Z Makro Planars...
Oh, and this lens is SHARP.
On FF, there is a noticeable but acceptable distortion, and slight vignetting compared to APS-C.
Noticing some flare in certain conditions.

UPDATE: after some time of using it I notice some focus issues just a bit down to the center of the frame. Clearly it's out of focus. No accidents happened to the lens, btw. It gets in focus on f/9 and further. That's really disappointing. It even lost its former sharpness on the rest of the frame, it's sharp but not as previously. Something weird happened with this lens (it should've been sturdy at that price tag).
Would I recommend this lens? My answer now is a definite NO!
reviewer#10113 date: Apr-12-2012
positive:silent
fast
compact
so sharp…
negative:eventually the hood which is a little cheap, then I put a 4 on build rating.
Distorsion seems to be more important on my exemplary than my 24-70 is.
comment:My first "short focal" lens by CZ, I appreciate the weight comparing with the 24-70 when used at 24mm.
It's a very sharp lens since wide open, just need some precautions with the microadjustemnts if you want to make some proxy with it, really a pleasure on flowers for example with the F2 aperture.
reviewer#10085 date: Apr-4-2012
compared to:Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6, Sigma 20-40/2.8
price paid:$1423 (new, VAT inc)
positive:Build
IQ
Sharpness
negative:Typical 24mm, go down to get the best out of it!
comment:I have been constantly replacing my zooms with primes over the past few years, keeping them only at he extreme focal lengths. This one covers the focal length I shoot most at with the two WA zooms, so it has replaced them there. The Sigma zooms now come only with me on purpose, or when I´m lugging around the fully stuffed 50 lbs Photo Trekker with one or two tripods...

IQ wise, IMHO this lens is unmatched by anything existing in A-mount right now. I love it.
reviewer#10047 date: Mar-22-2012
compared to:There is nothing to compare this lens to.
price paid:1190 CAN (used)
positive:Perfect walk around lens.
Tack sharp corner to corner.
MFD is spectacular.
f2 all the way.
negative:Absolutely nothing!!!!
comment:This is such a beautiful lens, from the moment I got my hands on it I knew I was buying it. I have owned both the 35 2 and the 100 2 and the Zeiss just destroys them in all aspects. Tack sharp from corner to corner, very fast and accurate focus makes this lens near fool proof to use. About the only lens I would say is even comparable to the Zeiss is the 200 2.8 G APO HS. For those of us who have used the 200 you will understand. This is a lens you will truly enjoy using if you owned one.
reviewer#10039 date: Mar-20-2012
compared to:Minolta 28mm F2.8
price paid:73,000 Phil Peso
positive:its a zeiss... sharpness, color, contrast and clarity
negative:hard to focus correctly in my a700, probably due to field curvature that others said. However NEX5+LAEA2 focus is good.
comment:as i'm pampered with the 135cz with how it performs extremely well and every shot there is always a "wow" factor, i wish the zeiss (in sony ofcourse) would have a wide version. Once the 24cz was release a year ago i told my self that i MUST have one. However i was torn apart choosing this one or 24 1.8 E lens as my friend sell me her NEX5. The 24 for NEX isnt bad at all but after reading a lot and thinking I couldnt be able to use it on my DSLR so I decided to buy this including the expensive LA-EA2 adapter (why not LA-EA1, i shoot wedding and AF is a must).

Is it worth it, yes it is... i can atest on the list of good feedback and reviews on this thread so I wont rewrite them all again.

See my photos here:

The only problem I had is focusing in my A700 (i focus to people but the background is focus and the people blurred) as some reviews mention but it happen most of the time in low light. Anyway I use it with my NEX5 which I had no focusing issue at all.
reviewer#9933 date: Feb-15-2012
compared to:Sony 35mm f1.4 G
price paid:1130 USD used, mint
positive:Mind-blowing Sharpness
Quiet and fast SSM motor.
Great range for both full frame and APSC.
Super close MFD.
Smooth Bokeh
negative:Field Curvature quite pronounced at f2, stop down recommended for subjects in parallel line.
Focusing from 2mm to infinity is quite hit & miss, it seems a QC problem with some copies so test carefully before you buy.
comment:I was looking for a prime lens with wide aperture in this range for photo-journalistic works. First thing that came to my mind was the 35mm f1.4 G. However both used and new ones are uber-expensive and upon testing, the sharpness is disappointing when zoom in, although I like how it renders the image, subject-background distinction, super smooth bokeh, and stylish vignette. However good it was, it's a lens of an old design and its flaws can be very difficult to work when I need to crop images. Not to mention its resale value. Also while 35mm f1.4 G is perfect for full frame camera, it performs worse than the cheap & plastic Sony 35mm f1.8 on APSC.

For the same budget, I realized that I could buy this Carl Zeiss 24mm f2 SSM and use as wide angle 24mm f2 on A850 and also as a normal prime 36mm f2 equivalent on A77. A great alternative to A850 + 35mm f1.4G for photojournalism.

First impression. The build quality is extremely solid and impressive. Smaller than Sony 16-50mm f2.8 SSM but weighs about the same. The metal focus ring is very nice. Although it's a shame the hood is plastic and looks most vulnerable.

First trying on A77. Focus is smooth, fast and silent, as expected from SSM. Bokeh on APSC is harder to make than on full frame, unless getting closer to subject, otherwise the bokeh quality is smooth and pleasing. However after I tried shooting with A77 for a day, I had the urge to almost return it to the seller. I noticed the focus is quite hit and miss on A77. When the subject is 1-2 meter far or more, even I lock the center focus point carefully, so often the auto focus will go beyond that to infinity and I ended up with images that don't look sharp. I guess that's why some people mention image sharpness issue with this lens.

I came home, google and found a review here that said he needs to adjust -7 micro focus adjustment on his copy. I tested mine and found that my copy needs as much as -8 on both A77 and A850. After that I tried taking pictures in various conditions and different focus ranges with A77, and though the problem is not completely gone, the lens becomes usable on A77. From around 30% hit 70% miss, it's now 90% hit, 10% miss which is acceptable to me giving the extremely small DOF at f2. Focusing on objects closer than 1 meter or macro level is very accurate and never be a problem. It should be noted again that this problem only aggravates on A77. I tried with A850 and it gives 0% miss after adjusting -8. I'm not sure why it misses so much more on A77 than A850. So I seriously need to warn anyone who wants to buy this lens and uses with a camera that doesn't have micro-focus adjustment capability to check carefully the back-front focus issue especially from 2 meter to infinity.

I will need to test more and update here.

The focus issue aside, I'm extremely pleased with the sharpness wild open and stunned when stopped down. Expect corner to corner mind-blowing sharpness on A77, and drop around the edges for full frame. Vignette is non-existent on APSC. And high at f2 on full frame but that can add a style to images. The colors and contrast are amazing. Distortion is extremely low and not necessary to correct in PP. Flare is no issue for me since it's not worse than other lens in the same class. Also one of the things I love most about this lens is how it can get so close to the subject. MFD is only 19cm from sensor. In reality, you can get so close to the subject your lens nearly touch. This is very useful in tight space and when you want to squeeze more bokeh! One thing worth mentioning is the field curvature is quite pronounced at f2, most noticeably when the subjects are in parallel line with the focal plane. For example, taking a group photo of people, the persons in the middle are sharp, the persons around the rule of 1/3 grids are soft, and people at the extreme edge are sharp again. Hence, stopping down recommended for landscape. This problem can be noticeable on a full frame body.

In summary, it's the best wide-normal prime for Sony camera that you can have. See my photos with Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 24f2 SAL24F20Z SSM on my Flickr collection at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeispixels/collections/72157628204412995/

UPDATE: At first I thought this was a normal back-focus issue that can be fixed with micro adjustment. But it is not. All other lens I have, mostly screw drive, can be fixed easily with micro focus adjustment in camera. however for this lens, for an object further than 1-2 meter, -7 to -8 can fix the problem and bring back the focus to its original point however when close focusing, less than 1 meter, it ends up having front focus. If I fix front focusing at macro level, the infinity focus is messed up. I sent the lens to Sony service center and they could only identify the back focus but came up with no solution about irregular focusing behavior throughout the focus range. So I returned the lens to the seller. I will reduce the build rating score to 3 for this. It seems I'm not alone about this problem: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sonycameraclub/discuss/72157627767204993/#comment72157629333633053

UPDATE #2: I got myself a new copy of 24f2 at Sony center and tested fully before paying. The 2nd copy has no focusing problem whatsoever. I recommend trying this lens thoroughly before buying new or 2nd hand.
reviewer#9639 date: Nov-28-2011
compared to:sigma 1.8/20
positive:everything
negative:terrible field curvature
comment:There are many rave reviews on this lens.
CZ 24za is wonderful lens indeed.
-it has great build quality and nice SSM feature,
-good center and border resolusion
-smooth bokeh for a wide angle lens.
-very low distortion
-it's got a CZ badge on it.

But this lens has a terrible field curvature, which
spoils everything.
Its wavy field curvature is very severe.
Center and border resolutions are good even from f2, but mid-frame areas are soft due to the field curvature.

You have to stop down hard until you get decent sharpness on mid-frame areas.

It also applies when shooting at close distance. If you are going to put subjects in exact center, then no problem.
But if not, you'll get soft and blurred images.
reviewer#9408 date: Sep-11-2011
size
SSM
fantastic MFD
negative:Price
comment:Next to the other two Sony Carl Zeiss primes, this was the third and bought - and it is fantastic. I have really nothing negative to say about this lens.
When compared to the above lenses (which I now have all sold), this lens really shines. Highly recommended.
reviewer#9379 date: Sep-2-2011
compared to:Sigma 20mm/f1.8 (old)
Minolta 28mm/f2.8 (old)
Sigma 24-70mm/f2.8 HSM (new)
price paid:1200 EUR (new)
positive:majestic sharpness at f2-2.8
excellent build
silent AF
negative:the lens hood is indeed cheapish
comment:I bought this lens for handheld available light photojournalistic shots. I was not satisfied with the performance of the Sigma 24-70/f2.8 wide open, and I decided to get the best lens available on the wide-angle end.

Talk about a relevation - build quality is amazing, the weight and size is perfect for my a850, it's really sharp from f2 onwards (we are discussing photojournalism here and not landscapes, I don't give a damn about corner sharpness and vignetting, in fact I haven't even used it above f5.6), AF is quick and silent, what more could a photographer want? Well, I'd like a better lens hood, the plastic one that's included in the package really feels cheap.
reviewer#8906 date: Apr-10-2011
compared to:Sigma 24/1.8, Zeiss T*25/2.8 Distagon ZK, Zeiss 16-35/2.8 Vario Sonnar ZA.
price paid:1250 CAD (new)
positive:- Very sharp inside extreme borders from f2 with corners shaping up to high standards by f4.
- 1:3.4 life scale @0.19m close focusing.
- Large aperture retains high performance.
- Build quality.
- SSM, good for AF and MF.
negative:- Vignette a bit high at f2.
- Hood not up to previous ZA release standards.
comment: A little on my experience with this lens:

At first, the idea of this lens did not excite me. It doesn't focus as close as my previous favorite Distagon the 25/2.8 Z-series (which hits 1:2.3 vs the 1:3.4 of the ZA). It wasn't a 1.4 as several competitors produce and yet it brings closely together some of both of those admirable traits. Was a trade-off of reduced close focusing and aperture size to get into this niche worth it? I say yes.

The key to this lens being able to entertain is its overall quality. It's very comfortable to use and leaves little to be desired functionally. AF is quick, silent and quite accurate. Manual focus as a result of the SSM mechanism does away with the screw-driven AF gear coupled with the ring of past AF lenses, leaving it much smoother and with no play when changing direction. As a native manual focuser, I really appreciate the 80 degrees of damped-feel throw from the metal ring and with the close focusing and shallow dof of this lens, its nice to have that manual precision available to hit tiny targets.

All metal in construction and self contained, the lens exudes a feeling of confidence in its value. Nothing wobbles, rattles or shakes on this thing, its a little rock.

And now that we know it's build is premium, can the optics match? I would suggest in some ways, it's clearly at the top of heap - center sharpness is tack-sharp from f2 with edges coming on-line to excellent by f4 by which point I've used no other wide angle that offers a pixel peeping chance at matching this lens, so yes - optics are also premium. Add to this a capability to take shots into direct sunlight while retaining good contrast and we know that some of your hard-earned money has been well spent.

Some things on the other hand are only on par with what is expected of an almost ultra-wide (in FF scope) - Vignette is nothing special and quite strong wide open. There is mild, yet notable barrel distortion and corner sharpness at f2 is a hair on the high side of soft. That said, wide open one does not expect to be shooting landscapes. By f4 - again - this lens is easily able to tackle critical inspection. I did note a circle of slight softening around the center, sharpening up again before trailing off at the extreme edges at f2-2.8. I'm not sure if this is a defect or a normal result. It's only visible while pixel peeping, but it's clearly there. By f4 there is no trace of it.

It is also worthwhile to comment on the bokeh, where this lens with its aperture and MFD has some domain. Certainly, this lens is capable of bokeh, used within the knowledge that native dof at 24mm is prohibitive to the shallowness seen at less wide angles. This restricts 'extreme' bokeh to MFD and f2, but the quality of which is quite pleasing and offering still a very sharp subject with this lens IQ. On human sized subjects, oof sits gently in the background - noticeably exaggerating the subject, but not melting away backgrounds.

Overall, as a complete package this Distagon brings home pro level IQ and some funk with its MFD and aperture all built into a solid, joy-to-use body. You might have fun finding out what you'll do with this lens - landscapes and architecture from f4, close-focusing bokeh or product shooter, f2 low-light wide, etc - but one thing is true, it's unlikely to let you down on account of its abilities once you find a niche for it.

reviewer#8489 date: Jan-7-2011
compared to:Nikon 24/2
positive:Small size, light weight, sharpness
negative:Lens hood too plastic comparing to 135/1.8
comment:Never thought I will buy this one...till I need to do some shoot out. Much better than the 24 end of my 24-70...not to mention other zoom lenses. Surprising optically similar to Nikkor 24/2
reviewer#8479 date: Jan-4-2011
compared to:- 35G
- 24/2.8
- 16-35/2.8 ZA
- 24-70/2.8 ZA
positive:+ Very good build quality
+ SSM (fast and silent focusing)
+ sharp in center image from wide open
+ smooth manual focusing
+ seems good bokeh for wide angle lens
negative:- Very flare sensetive
- Plastic hood feels cheep.
- Poor quality control
- 24-70/2.8 wider than 24/2
- Not F1.4 As competitors from Canon Nikon
- Not weather resistant
comment:Buy this lens as top wide angle prime on Full Frame. And my first copy had focus and sharpness problem. Many buyers in Russia have such problem with this expensive top prime from Sony.

You can compare images:
and
As You can see second copy much sharper than first.

I think Sony must hardly improve quality control to prevent such mass problems with high end lenses. (sonystyle change lens without any issues).

If compare 24-70 and 24/2 than zoom seems some wider than distagon. Sharpness seems comparable except extreme corner, there 24-70 don't shines. 24/2 suits much better on the a900. good handling. Distagon practically have no CA, but from ZA zooms it can be easily corrected in software.

Don't understand why Sony make 24/2 with plastic hood, while all other full frame primes have perfect metal hood.

In my taste this lens is very good but in the image quality definitely not comparable with STF, 135za, 200/2.8G.

reviewer#8413 date: Dec-17-2010
price paid:1037 eu
positive:everysingle thing!
negative:little vignetting @ f2
comment:One of the best lenses I've ever had. It is as sharp as the 135 CZ and the bokeh is very nice too.
reviewer#8302 date: Nov-25-2010
GREAT COLOUR
Bright, clean pictures
negative:Tiny amount of distorion
Occasional 'blob' flare
I hate the AF/MF switch design
comment:Astonishing lens. IQ has a lot in common with the 135 Sonnar, much cleaner, brighter and sharper than the Zeiss Vario zooms. Corners are bright and sharp.
I was usng the Minolta 24/2.8 every day and had a problem with polygon (aperture shaped) white ghosts on a900, so I upgraded to this Zeiss as soon as it became available. Having used it every day for a month I can see that the ghosting is no longer a problem. I get the occasional coloured blob in the frame but this is acceptabe. Flare never destroys the contrast so I have to grant it a 5. If i need to recover shadow detail I get far less noise now compared to what I got from the Minolta. I think this is down to spherical aberrations in the older lens leading to noise in the image?

The lens handles well. Build is outstanding, like a short 135/1.8. I don't like the AF switch design because I wear gloves, but I can't mark it down because of that. AF performance is great even using outer focus points.

Colour is perfect, like other zeiss primes. Skin tones are excellent with flash and hair looks natural. Face distortion is rarely a problem, unless the subject is much too close. Bokeh is impossible to fault.

If you use 24mm a lot, and can afford it, then this is the way to go. If you need wider then the CZ16-35 is a satisfactory alternative. But the 24/2 is the best wide angle lens in terms of IQ.
reviews found: 34    1 2 >>