Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM A-mount lens reviews

- Sony 50mm 1.4
price paid:100 GPD
positive:- Pretty sharp at F/1.8 in center but better used from F/2.5
- Light and unobtrusive
- On an APS-C gives a similar feel to a 50mm on a full frame. That is pretty much what you see.
- Super cheap. The G version which is probably no sharper is 8 times as much
- Fast and accurate focusing.
- Cheap and popular 55mm filters.
negative:- Plastic mount and cheap looking. Should be fine as long as you do not drop it.
comment:In my experience this lens performs well above what it's price would suggest and I would use over the more expensive Sony 50mm 1.4 any day. I also feel for anyone into primes and have an APS-C Sony Alpha this is an essential purchase.

Great for indoor and outdoor portraits, architecture and landscapes at a push (although not ideal) this is a pretty wonderful little gem. Forget about the plastic mount and cheap construction which will only come into play if you knock the lens about.

Don't waste your money on more expensive Minolta 35mm F2 or Minolta 35mm 1.4 until you try this lens out. You do not have much to lose.
reviewer#11910 date: Jul-18-2014
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sony 50mm f1.4, Sony 85mm f2.8, Sony ZA16-80 f3.5-4.5.
price paid:$389 NZ
positive:Approximate 50mm equivalent focal length, nice colour, very light (like carrying a camera body only), quite quick to focus, good DOF control allowing the background to be blurred out, good bokeh, fast enough (f1.8) to use in low light with out a flash.
negative:Build is of cheap plastic including the mount.
comment:This was a great little lens to have on my a700 and when it was on there I hardly ever took it off. I sold it to a friend and then wished I had kept it. Better than the 50mm f1.4 on FF (less CA and sharper across the image).
reviewer#11906 date: Jul-14-2014
compared to:Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX-II
Sony DT 16-50 F2.8 SSM
Sony Carl Zeiss 16-80 F3.5-4.5
price paid:170 euro new
positive:sharpness , 1.8 , light
negative:Nothing at this price
comment:good sharpness at 1,8 , sharp at 2.8 , some Ca but not too bad and easily corrected in post processing , a77 lens correction -3
reviewer#11811 date: May-5-2014
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:SOny 50/1.4, Sony Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5, Minolta 28-135/4-4.5, Tamron 90/2.8, Sigma 10-20/3.5,
price paid:$200 AUS$
positive:light, small, sharp.
negative:plastic mount. Some CA.
comment:This is my fav APS-C lens no question about it. I simply do not use my other 12 lenses now (except my Tamron 90/2.8 macro). This lens is perfect. I can't believe I put off purchasing this lens for so long. If you get any SOny APS-C camera you should get this lens and not worry about any other for sometime. The sharpness of this lens is fantastic. The problem is once you get used to that sort of sharpness other lenses get left in the bag as they are just not good enough.
reviewer#11777 date: Apr-18-2014
Cheap as chips
Nice wide aperture
Normal aspect on APS-C
Great colour
negative:Nothing at the price point
One thing actually - if you buy a full frame camera this will be incompatible due to severe vingetting.
comment:A 35mm lens on APS-C sensor gives almost exactly normal perspective (52.5mm equivalent on full frame). For that reason alone, a good 35mm lens makes sense if you are shooting on a crop sensor.

And then Sony drops this number - it's fast, it's sharp, it's light, it has a very close focal distance and it's cheap. If you have a crop sensor a-mount Sony body, this is an absolute no brainer.

I have used the kit Sony zooms on my a55/a37, Minolta 28mm/2.8 and 50mm/1.7 primes, the Beercan and an M32 Pentacon 135mm/2.8 - the Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 stands out as a light, compact unit ... and did I mention the sharpness?

I have actually not put any other lens on my cameras since I bought this - except in a few performance or situation specific circumstances.

Get one, now.
Hood included
Beautiful Bokeh
negative:Plastic mount
Loose focus ring
comment:Sharpness: Great, beats all the lenses I´ve ever had, from center to corners from f2.2, but from 1.8-2.0 is great too!

Color: Not Minolta colors, but really good Sony colors.

Build: I don´t like the plastic mount. Everything in the lens is plastic, but body feels good, compact, not cheap plastic. In my opinion, focus ring is too loose, it feels like it could move when you walk, but has a good precision.

More: Low distortion, great bokeh for such a small focal lenght. Spherochromatism wide open (1.8-2.2) but great bokeh anyway.

Autofocus it´s fast an accurate, hunts a little bit wide open in low light situations, but from f2.0 it never fails. More focus noise than the 18-135. Very less noise than any Minolta I´ve ever tested.

Highly recommended lens, perfect for portraits, good for landscape, nice even for flowers since its has a reproduction of 1:4.
reviewer#11681 date: Feb-5-2014
compared to:Tamron 10-24
Sigma 18-250 HSM
Small & light
Fast accurate focusing
Good colors
Great value
negative:Max aperture of f1.8 only available in A & M modes
Susceptible to flare (if not using lens hood)
comment:I was wanting a small, fast lens capable of taking high quality indoor photos without flash. The SAL-35F18 fits the bill. Photos are tack sharp in the center and corner sharpness is very good when stopped down a stop or two.

Auto-focus is quick and accurate. While not totally silent, the focus motor seems quieter than other SAM lenses I have owned (such as the original Sony 18-55).

For a inexpensive, all-plastic lens, build quality is good. In order to keep cost low, I suspect, this lens has a plastic mount. With reasonable care, I don't see this as a problem on such a small, light lens.

A nice lens hood is included, which should be used for all outdoor photos where flare can be an issue. The focus ring includes a distance scale, and turns easily (almost too easily) which facilitates manual focusing. Unfortunately, the ring is very narrow, making it somewhat difficult to find quickly. Auto-focus is so good, though, that there is little reason to use manual focus.

A quirk of the lens is that the full aperture of f1.8 is only available in A and M modes. In other modes, the maximum aperture available is f2. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the camera or the lens, but all three of my Sony cameras do this. In general, it's not a big deal but worth noting.

In summary, the SAL-35F18 is a true bargain; I bought it on sale for less than $200. It pretty much matches the image quality of the $1500 Sony 35 f1.4G!

[Peripheral comment/update: As an after-thought, I tried using this lens with the Kenko DGX 1.4x teleconverter. This would make the lens operate as a 50mm f2.5 lens, which I thought could occasionally be useful. The fit was very tight because of the how much the lens mount extends into the TC, so I aborted the experiment. It was the first of a dozen or so lenses I've tried that didn't work easily with the Kenko TC.]
reviewer#11661 date: Feb-1-2014
compared to:* Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX
* Sony 35mm f/1.8 DT SAM
* Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DT SAM II
* Sony 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DT SAM II
* Minolta 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (Original)
* Minolta 70-210mm f/4 (Beercan)
* Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX-II
price paid:200 AUD
positive:* Sharp at f/2.8, reaches close to peak sharpness closer to f/5.6
* Good bokeh
* Excellent colours and good flare control
* Relatively light and small
* Common 55mm filter thread
* Comes with lens hood
* Great for both indoor and outdoor street low light shooting
negative:* Average image quality wide open at f/1.8
* Average focus speed, though faster than 50mm f/1.8 DT and shorter minimum focus distance
* Chromatic aberration and severe coma at wide open apertures
* Plastic fantastic build quality
comment:Compared to the popular Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX, the Sony is almost identical with slightly better image quality however you would be hard pressed to see the difference in normal prints. The Sony is also generally cheaper and that is reflected in the Nikon having better build quality.

Compared to the Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT, the 35mm is slightly larger and sharper however it also shows high amount of purple fringing and severe coma especially at wide open apertures.

Being a 35mm, there is also noticeable distortion with subjects at close distances.

The wider aperture has an almost two stop advantage over the Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DT at the equivalent focal length or in other words about four hundred percent more light. This will allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISO settings in low light conditions than the zoom kit can and along with the sharpness it makes for a fantastic bang for buck lens especially for indoor or outdoor street photography.
reviewer#11644 date: Jan-30-2014
compared to:Sony 18-55mm DT SAM II
Minolta 28-100mm
Tamron 28mm f2.8
Various 35mm film lenses
price paid:£139 new
positive:Small, light, good aperture for low light conditions. Useful filter size shared with kit lens. very sharp, excellent flare control. No obvious distortions with in-camera corrections on.
negative:Poor build quality. No sharper than the kit zoom.
comment:Initial thoughts were very disappointing in build quality - front element is actually loose/wobbly straight out of box. I expected this lens to be sharper than the kit zoom too but it isn't, though this is perhaps because the kit zoom is also exceptionally sharp.
But having used it a bit more, I find this lens to be a superb general-purpose lens which is extremely capable in demanding light. In churches and cathedrals, I've got unbelievably sharp, clear pictures down to 1/10 second hand-held and at 400-1600 ASA on the A58. It copes very well with the extreme contrast too, certainly better than I ever achieved in film days.
And in twilight the lens scores as well - not just the speed of the lens but its resistance to flare; even bright modern streetlights in the field of view don't upset the picture.
Therefore, though I'd still pick the 18-55mm in bright light, if I'm going indoors or staying out late this lens is likely to be the one on my camera.

reviewer#11563 date: Dec-27-2013
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7
price paid:$192 USD (New)
positive:Sharp, Light, Inexpensive & a great prime lens
negative:Plastic & For APS-C format only but can be used for FF with cropping
comment:I find that this lens is great for beginners learning and getting their feet wet in DLSR photography. Paired with my A37 I find it light and great as a walk-around set. Bokeh is great, lens is sharp and just gets sharper towards f4.

Value is excellent, though the lens is noisy and is plastic no one can tell these based on the photos you take. On video though you can hear the lens motor during autofocus.
reviewer#11549 date: Dec-20-2013
compared to:Sony 50mm F1.8
Sony 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
Minolta 70-300mm F4.5-5.6
price paid:250,00 $
positive:Sharp, weightless and cheap.
negative:weak and lazy hood, I prefer a screw hood, the ones that come with the lens is kind of a fitting hood.
comment:I think this lens is prettly much like the Sony 50mm.
Very Sharp, priceless, light. But I think for APS-C sensor it does fit better thant 50mm. It´s a walk around lens.

Every body complains about the build quality, but I don´t think it´s bad, plastic is light and some times, deppending on the quality of the plastic, it can be stronger than metal.

I don´t know if this is the case of this lens, but it really looks prettly well painted and if you take care of it, it will last really a good time.

It´s know my comon choice for taking pictures.
reviewer#11498 date: Nov-24-2013
compared to:Sony 24-70 F2,8 Zeise
SAL 16-50 F2,8
Sigma 10mm F2,8
Small
negative:Noisy to focus
comment:Perfect for walk around lens and taking pictures of friends in a bar. I like to just carry around my A77 with it in case I don't want to carry anything heavy or big. Good choice for 1st all around lens...
reviewer#11404 date: Oct-28-2013
Quantaray 28-80
price paid:300 with the A33
positive:Sharp wide open at f1.8
Fast focus
negative:Plastic body and plastic mount
Purple fringing
comment:I was quite surprised to see how sharp this cheap lens was wide open. It crushes both the minolta 50mm 1.4 and 1.7 in terms of sharpness.
reviewer#11286 date: Aug-3-2013
Great IQ for money
negative:Plastic
APS-C only
Noisy AF
comment:This lens is an underdog. The plastic build doesn't hint about the ability this lens has on APS-C cameras. The motor noise will never be heard when people are looking at your prints. They also won't know your lens body is plastic. Great value
reviewer#11138 date: May-24-2013
Sharp!
Lightweight
Compact
negative:Lots of plastic
comment:Every A-mount APS-C camera user should have this lens, as it represents the 50mm FOV on APS-C. It performs really great and the value for money is outstanding. Looking at sharpness, it can keep up with my Minolta 100 f/2.8 Macro D easily. Center sharpness is already good at f/1.8 and get excellent when you stop down. Corners follow from f/2.8 onwards.

It is of course one of these "plastic-fantastic" lenses, but I do not care really. It is solid enough and it makes the lens affordable, compact and light in weight. Optically, no complains. Buy it. Enjoy it.
reviewer#11071 date: Apr-25-2013
compared to:Sony 16-80 Zeiss, Sony 1,4/50
price paid:250 euro (new)
positive:Great sharpness and color
negative:This lens is not build to last forever.
comment:About 50% of time has been mounted on a700 in 2011-2012.
As it is cheap, no problem with overall build quality.
Plastic mount is not problem for little and light lens.
reviewer#10931 date: Feb-19-2013
compared to:sal 16-105
Tam 60 macro
price paid:180USD
Fast
Good image quality
comment:Best value price to performance lens on the market.
Almost as sharp as the Tamron, which I consider to be a 5, sharper than the zooms. Good colour fast and fun to use. Unlikely to bounce well but my 16-105 stopped working without a knock!
reviewer#10917 date: Feb-13-2013
compared to:Sony DT 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 SAM
Sony 75-300mm F/4.5-5.6
positive:Sharp.
Extremely lightweight.
AF doesn't hunt.
comment:Obviously the lenses I have to compare this to are not a very apples to apples comparison. I will say though, the lens is very sharp, the AF doesn't hunt and seems accurate(though I have made no hard comparisons). I will also mention that my wife(who rarely uses the camera mind you) always notices when one of the other lenses is on because the 35 is so light and easy to shoot with.
reviewer#10768 date: Dec-10-2012
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 24mm, Minolta 28mm
positive:Small , Light, Fast focusing, Minimum focusing distance is ~ 1ft, which is good.
negative:bad build, very plastic
comment:I buy this lens from K9tales !! Nice dealing with him.

This lens is actually equal to 50 mm std kit equivalence in FF dSLR.

This AF is fast and it has very short minimum focus distance of 0.9Ft, which is good when taking picture of my kid. The skin tone generated is great. it can take great picture in indoor as well.

This lens stop the lens lust for minolta 35mm f1.4 or F2 if you are not using FF dSLR.

I love using it.

only bad thing is the build, it really has a bad build which is plastic. Well, this is something that actually reflected in the price shown vs good build. You get what you pay for.

reviewer#10759 date: Dec-7-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:AF-S 35mm 1.8, Minolta 24 85 RS, Minolta 50 1.7 RS. SAM 18 55.
price paid:130 EUR (2nd but new
positive:Compact, low price, excellent sharpness even at wide open, good bokeh compare to Nikon Version.
negative:Absolutely horrible build, distortion and flare control is average.
comment:This lens is as good as it inteded to be. The useful focal length and aperture, size and weight, and SAM motor make it a perfect autofocus lens. But for manual focus and video follow focus, this lens is so horrible. With a focus ring so tiny and undampeded, it's almost impossible to manual focus during video. When using the hood, manual focus getting even more awkward. The lens is 100% plastic except the glasses, with an untight build so I think this lens will not last. You better get rid of it before the end of guarantee.

But anyway, the optics performance of a lens with such a price is admirable, even better than the infamous Nikon version. Only if SOny could build this lens like Nikon, this would be a complete win.
reviewer#10722 date: Nov-22-2012
compared to:16-80 CZ
positive:light, cheap and sharp
negative:cheap built
comment:i tend to use it more and more. It' s nice, sharp, light weight, little plastic but it' s fast. Results are good. Some PP in colors. (little cold colors.
But in- and indoor a winner. You can't go wrong with this little fellow.
reviewer#10620 date: Oct-25-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sony , Minolta and CZ zooms and primes.
price paid:219 (new)
positive:Everything.
negative:Nothing so far but I've only used it indoors with controlled lighting.
comment:Beautiful, lightweight, colorful, sharp lens. Attached to a77 results ~52mm focal length. In controlled lighting, stopped down and with the right recipe in ACR this thing produces exceptional results and just absolutely worth the price. I gave a 5 rating for flare but I havent used it outdoors so I cant really say, but rather given it the benefit of the doubt. I gave the build rating a 5 because its so lightweight, making it easy to carry and shoot long portrait sessions with, I dont care if it's plasticy and not built like a tank.
reviewer#10605 date: Oct-19-2012
positive:Weight
Size
Sharpness
negative:Chromatic Aberration
comment:Already sharp WO. Improves a nice bit by 2.8.
CA is there at 1.8 and is improved a little bit when stopped down, but never disappears. It is my only gripe whit this lens.
Over all, a great performer for the price.
It is my usual walkaround lens on the a35, a700 and NEX-5N.
So far, has been surpassed only by the Tamron 90 macro and the Canon 50mm in my lens set.
reviewer#10404 date: Jul-23-2012
compared to:CZ 16-80
Minolta 50mm f1.7
price paid:229 EUR (new)
hood included
fast aperture
negative:plastic mount
comment:I like this fast lens. Works well at maximum aperture 1.8. I tested this lens in some portrait shot in a live concert with my plesaure result.
reviewer#10332 date: Jun-26-2012
small
hood included
sharp
fast
negative:flimsy
plasticky
comment:I am surprised by just how good this lens is! I had aMinolta 50mm f1.7 before and loved that lens. I can honestly say I prefer this one to the Minolta - mainly because of the extra width being a 35mm but also its faster, focuses closer and has a proper hood. Maybe the Minolta has that lovely Minolta colour and bokeh but this one is probably as good. IMHO anyway.

Light and plasticky maybe but so what if the images are top drawer and the price is right!
reviewer#10274 date: Jun-8-2012
compared to:30/2.8 macro
positive:-cheap
-light
-hood
-sharp
comment:Is a very sharp lens with wide open. Lightweight and manage to deliver natural color. Build quality for plastic mount is not a big concern for me. Of course, not so bad like people claimed; Is good.
For the one who are interest to have a light weight set up, this is the must have lens. Light, fast, cheap and sharp.
reviewer#10226 date: May-20-2012
price paid:200€
positive:-Sharp
-Fast
-Light
-Great in low light
negative: -A bit strong purple fringing wide open in strong light
comment:Great lens for the price especially on APSC where its 52mm.
Plastic all around with some wobble, but for the price and the image quality its great.
reviewer#10153 date: Apr-28-2012
- Quiet
- Light
- Nice Hood Included
negative:- Bit of barrel wobble
comment:Recently purchased this lens new after reading about it on all the review sites (here and Munger, DxO, etc) which are overwhelmingly positive.

All I can say is, this lens delivers very sharp images with nice color. At f1.8 it does pretty well and is usable for certain applications, but at f2.8, it's awesome.

The hood on this lens is really decent. I like that Sony included it and wish they did the same with the 50mm f1.8. This lens is my wide portrait and street lens while the 50mm and beercan do my close up portrait work.

The build is a non-issue. If anything, it's advantageous because it's so light.
reviewer#10152 date: Apr-27-2012
Minolta 50mm f3.5 macro
Sony 16-105mm f3.5-5.6
Minolta 28-135mm f4-4.5
Minolta 28mm f2.8
price paid:£80 (used)
positive:Sharp.
fast.
Light weight, but WELL BUILT!
Superb IQ.
negative:None that I've found.
comment:Why does nearly everyone seem to feel the need to give this lens a low build rating just because it is plastic and light weight? Just because the lens body is made of plastic it does NOT mean the lens has poor build quality and won't last. personally I hate lugging around heavy lenses, as long as they are well designed and put together (and this lens very definitely is) give me light weight every time.

I love this lens, it is my favourite prime, has never let me down and is without question one of the sharpest lenses in my collection. It appears to me that you are getting close to 'G' class performance for a relatively budget price. What's not to like?
reviewer#10149 date: Apr-26-2012
Minolta 135 f/2.8
Minolta 35-70 f4
Minolta 28-80 f4.5-5.6
Sony 18-55 3.5-5.6
positive:Perfect indoor lens for APS-C sensor. Sharp. Flare resistant. Fast AF.
negative:Plastic feeling, noisy AF during filming.
comment:I love this lens for indoor shooting. Perfect angle of view. Very sharp from around f:2.2. Sharp in the center wide open. It is very light. It has a plastic feel. It is not as good for indoor portrait as my Minolta 50mm f1.4. But it is very good. I use it always for party and concerts.
reviews found: 94    1 2 3 4 >>