Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM A-mount lens review by dus1988

reviewer#33747 date: Jan-6-2017
compared to:minolta 50mm 1.7 RS
price paid:150 used
positive:Great sharpness. Lots of light. Lightweight.
negative:AF / MF switch completely breaks my back button focus setup. Cant use that feature with this lens. By far my biggest issue with this lens. I love to keep my lens on MF until I press the back button. Dont really like AF-S which this lens locks you into unless you keep moving the switch on the lens.
comment:I use this, along with my 50mm 1.7 RS for portraiture / street / travel photography. It has great sharpness.

Honestly, The biggest thing making me look hard at one of the expensive minolta 35mm 1.4 models is that I really really wish this lens had a screw mount focus. The on lens AF / MF switch really messes with my workflow and Im not really a fan of AF-Lock on half press (like to back button focus instead). If you back button focus and you have the money for the more expensive minolta glass (or sigma art, or tamron 35mm 1.8), Id honestly recommend that instead of this (for build quality, and full functionality).

If you don't use BBF or don't have that kind of money to spend on a 35mm lens (my situation, as I don't use the 35mm enough to spend $500 on one), then this lens is amazing. Yes, it feels a little cheap, especially compared to the minolta 50mm 1.7 RS. But the pictures don't know that.

Find us on Google+