Tamron 16-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD MACRO A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#41982 date: Jan-5-2018
compared to:Sony 18-200, Minolta 70-210 (Beercan)
price paid:$500 USD (New)
positive:Excellent travel/general-purpose lens. Reasonably sharp for a super-zoom, excellent build, smooth focusing, quiet, excellent zoom range, weather-resistant.
negative:Not as sharp as a prime, not f4.0 like my Beercan.
comment:I bought this to replace my Sony 18-200, primarily for the 16mm (24mm equiv.) at the wide end, but I find myself zooming to 300mm more than I thought I would. This lens stays on my camera most of the time.
reviewer#32718 date: Nov-30-2016
compared to:Other APS zooms such as 18-70, 16-105, 18-270 etc.
price paid:500 USD (New)
positive:Range.
Macro mode.
Utility.
Weight.
negative:Not much, compared to what you're getting.
comment:Obviously you know the greatest strength of this lens: a hyperzoom STARTING at 16mm.
Coma is pretty well controlled and pictures are reasonably sharp, especially stopped down. Contrast is reasonably good and these can be adjusted in an editor anyway.
On the whole, it's a terrific hyperzoom that does a little bit of everything for a reasonable price.
A very good Jack of all trades.
reviewer#23469 date: Jan-13-2016
compared to:Sigma 18-200mm
positive:Long range and very versatile.
Good IQ for a super-zoom.
Not too heavy.
Impressive feature set.
negative:Distortion at the wide end as expected (16-20mm range)
Soft at the very long end.
CA in most of the range.
Some corners softness.
Price is a bit high.
comment:I really really like this lens. For a superzoom lens it's great, the IQ is not quite as sharp as the Sigma 18-200 until stooped down, but its more than makes up for it with the ultrasonic focus (PZD), weather sealing, wider and longer focal range.

I thing it's the best superzoom lens on the marked, so if you are into superzoom lens then I can't recommend this strongly enoughf.

If you are into pixel peeping, then a superzoom is not for you.
reviewer#15267 date: Jun-7-2015
compared to:SAL16105, SAL18250, Sigma 1,8/18-35mm.
price paid:494 €
positive:Long range, very versatile. Solid build. Good sharpness for a super-zoom. Not too heavy.
negative:Strong distortion (cushion) at the short end (up to ca. 50 mm), has to be corrected. Purple fringes at the long end, if high contrasts. Getting a bit soft at the long end, but up to 25%-crop still ok.
comment:My SAL16105 was going to cry for its third repair (!!), so I bought the Tam16300.
Before keeping it, I did some careful tests as to sharpness: an old wooden barn door, shooting from tripod, A77 at "P" and full aperture, different focal lengths. 16 shots for the Tam16300, the others less due to their shorter focal range.
I compared visual sharpness in the center, the edges and the corners; checked at 25, 50 and 100 % crop.

From these comparisons, my sharpness ratings for each lens over their focal lengths:
Tam16300: min = 4,19 mean = 4,31 max = 4,44
. Its difference between center and edge/corner is mostly 0.3 to 0.4.
SAL16105: min = 4,01 mean = 4,19 max = 4,23
SAL28250: min = 3,24 mean = 3,70 max = 3,94
Sigma1835: min = 4,87 mean = 4,90 max = 4,94

At 50 and 70 mm, the Tam16300 and the SAL16105 were almost identical. At 16mm the Tam16300 is about 0.3 better. The SAL18250 varies pretty strong: 3,94 at 35 mm and 3,2 at 50 mm.

Here at Dyxum, the SAL16105's sharpness is rated by 4,59
(SAL18250: 4,42; Sigma: 5,0).

Taking the SAL16105 as a reference, I'd have to rate the Tam16300's sharpness at 4,72. So in the Dyxum-scale I'll give 5.0.
Accordingly, I should downgrade the SAL18250's sharpness to 3,9.
(The Sigma1835 is playing in a league of its own, it should get a 5.4.)

In practical use, I liked the Tam16300 very much: versatile, no zoom creeping, appropriate focus speed in most situation, hunting was very seldom. As focussing is very silent, the lock-in signal has to be observed.
Distortion (cushion) at 16 - 35 mm is well visible in the view finder. In the images it can be found up to about 50 mm. It is pretty strong and has to be corrected in postprocessing. (DxO has announced an optical module for 6/15). I rated distortion = 4, because I do know the limits of super zoom (otherwise imho 3 would be more appropriate)

So for me the Tam16300 is a almost perfect travel and walk around lens and a very good replacement for my SAL16105 plus SAL18250.

Edit:
Having shot about 2 -3000 images, some additional experiences:
Sometimes, images are a bit soft. May be it is problem of focussing (I do not think so), may be it is a problem of automatic shutter speed and IBIS (A77). So I often take one or two "reserve" shots. And I take much more care when focussing.
The Tamron 16300 seems to need a bit more energy than my previous SAL16105. Instead of 700 -1000 images I now get 500 - 700.
reviewer#15262 date: May-31-2015
compared to:Sony 18-250
positive:Incredible range, very sharp for a travelzoom (ratings reflect this category of lens) covers pretty much all I need in a travel lens
negative:Not a lot really, still a tiny bit expensive although I got a 10% off deal because I bought it with a A77Mkii
comment:A really surprisingly nice upgrade to my old 18-250
reviewer#12076 date: Jan-3-2015
compared to:Sigma 17-70 "C"
Tamron 18-200
Tamron 70-300 USD
Tamron 70-200 f2.8 USD
Sony 35mm f1.8
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro
positive:I really like this lens. My review is based on similar super zoom lenses, not high end primes and zooms of narrower zoom range.

I am really impressed with the sharpness of this lens from 16 to 250mm in the center 80% or so. At 300mm it gets a bit soft but not unacceptable. Overall I use it as a 16-250mm travel lens for which it performs admirably. The build quality is very good. Lens creep is non existent so, while it has a lock switch, I never use it. The Zoom control is slightly stiff but not enough to bother me. I believe this stiffness is the reason there is no lens creep. Some weather sealing with gasketed flange.
negative:Some distortion at 16-20mm.
Soft at 300mm.
Some CA
Some softness at extreme corners
comment:I've been using this lens for 3 months. As long as you don't expect prime or high end zoom performance this makes a great walk around/Travel lens. Compared to my old 18-200 this lens is much, much better.
reviewer#11995 date: Sep-28-2014
Silent focusing
Compact design
Focal length
negative:Slight distortion at 16mm at extreme image corners
comment:I picked this lens up new due to the unfortaunte demise of my Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens at the hands of a concrete path! Before the purchase, I had seen quite a few example pictures from Canon and Nikon users and was suitably impressed with its performance.

I had the lens a week before I actually found time to get out there and use it. I was not disappointed. The first things I noticed about the lens were its build quality is quite superior to the earlier 18-270 (almost like comparing the 18-55mm SAM kit zoom to Sony's own 16-50mm F2.8) and the fact its notably heavier too.

Getting to shooting with the lens was something else too. The zoom action has a damped feeling to it, something lacking with the 18-270, it has enough resistance to hopefully eliminate zoom creep but time will tell on that!

I do not believe that Tamron has upgraded the PZD motor in this new lens, the AF speed doesn't seem to have increased any but that's not exactly an issue, even the older lens wasn't sluggish in the AF department. Focusing is quiet enough for video purposes although this really doesn't apply to me so much.

Colours and bokeh are pleasing although with some busy backgrounds, the bokeh is a little distracting producing some almost hexagonal effects if you catch something shiny in the background (at F8 anyway).

In short, its a great lens and seems to be quite an upgrade from its predecessor. The splash-proof design is a nice addition and I'm keen to see if after several months, the damped action stops zoom creep or at least reduces it to being less of a problem.

This lens should certainly work very well as a 2-lens kit with my Sigma 8-16 (another very highly regarded lens) keeping the gear I have to carry light and thus being mobile.

*************************************************************

As an update, I have found my first bugbear with this lens; or rather the lens cap. I've never really had this issue with Tamron caps before but it seems to unclip itself whilst the lens is still in the bag. The issue is not about losing the lens, but more likely the front element being scratched if the lens cap and/or camera moves around during transit. Still very happy with the lens otherwise and no zoom creep showing yet either - something which my Sony 55-300 has started to show some signs of!
reviewer#11988 date: Sep-21-2014
compared to:Sony 18-250
Minolta 75-300 Big Beercan
Minolta 35-105 Beercan
Soligor 28-70
Sigma 28-200 (72mm filter)
Sigma 28-200 DG (62mm filter)
Minolta 50 1.7
price paid:$700.00 cad (new)
positive:Surprisingly crisp easy to work with lens
negative:Hunts a bit in low light, not a big deal with an A77
comment:Tamron has hit one out of the park with this one. As sharp as anything at center and only minor softness towards the edge and that disappears as the F stop values increase. Color is halfway between Sony and Minolta and that is not a bad thing, believe me I compared the lens with a Sony 18-135 and chose this one, both had qualities and drawbacks but the performance was closer than I thought it would have been. It's a very well thought out and executed product. I have owned many lenses old and new and let me assure you this is a keeper and I thing one of those lenses that become the one that everything gets compared to. It shoots well above it's modest price. It's become my go to lens for almost everything and all I can say is "way to go Tamron" It doesn't matter what the specs say, the product works extremely well and there are fewer compromises than you may think. I was so impressed by it that I purchased one for my wife for her Sony A77 and she's now a fan and she did not like Tamron because of a previous bad experience. Tamron, keep up the good work!!!. I would not doubt that this lens becomes the benchmark that all other (super zooms) lens are compared to.

Find us on Google+