Tamron AF 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD A-mount lens reviews

price paid:$315 USD
positive:Great range, very light
negative:Zoom Creep.....
Very slow to focus.
comment:Bought this to put on my A58. Setting my wife up with a camera with walk around lens.
Inside I might stick with my 18-55 kit (faster focus for kids)
Outside I might pick up another beercan or a 100-300 Mino.
reviewer#11513 date: Dec-2-2013
compared to:Sony 18-55
Tamron 18-200
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Tamron 28-75 2.8
price paid:$357 new
positive:This is a great lens for just shooting a lot of photos when you're traveling or out for the day. It can replace several other lenses, and,if you're going to be mostly outside, can be your only lens.

I'm getting rid of sal1855, Tamron 18-200, sal1870 and a couple of not so good Minolta lenses and replacing them with this one.

I'm keeping my Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Tamron 28-75 2.8 because they're better than this one for what they do. At the same time, this one is better than them for what it does, which is provide a lot of range and photo possibilities without lugging me down with weight or complication.
negative:I don't think it has any negatives for what it is, which is an all around lens that makes for an easy time of taking lots of photos. It doesn't replace more specialized lenses, but then they don't replace it, either.
comment:This lens simplifies a lot of things for me when it comes to taking photos while I'm traveling or just out with my family. I can just put it on my camera and go.
reviewer#11509 date: Nov-28-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM- I also had this lens for a couple of weeks and noticed the Tamron was sharper throughout the range on my A65.
price paid:£400 New
positive:Silent focus for video, range, lightness.
negative:Zoom creep I think as lens extends freely if not locked.
comment:I bought this lens 6 months ago and have used it about a dozen times, holidays, events ect, as a total amateur this lens is great for most occasions.
I have since purchased a couple of old Minolta lenses so will compare sharpness, colour etc over the festive season.
reviewer#10780 date: Dec-12-2012
Non-rotating front element
negative:Soft-ish
Noticeable barrel distorion
Vignetting!
A couple of build issues
Bad bokeh
comment:Great single lens to take out hiking in the daylight, when weight is a constraint and switching lenses can be impractical. The zoom range is astounding. The focus speed is slow, but not an issue for me.

Optical issues: Pixel-peeping (at 24 MP) reveals its soft side, especially at the long end. The barrel distortion at the wide end is disappointing, and the visible vignetting has spoiled some photos for me. Ugly bokeh with busy backgrounds.

Build issues: Zoom creep: the lens will creep downwards unless locked at 18mm with the provided switch. The manual warns of the focus motor's physical sensitivity. Momentarily broke once when the focus ring was rotated out of the focusing motor's range.

Overall, I find it acceptable enough. One can make great use of this lens, provided they're aware of its limitations.
reviewer#10480 date: Sep-1-2012
price paid:€ 499,=
positive:Lens is nice small and not heavy, so a very handy for traveling. Quality is quite good for this type of lenses.
negative:For good sharpness is good weather needed.
comment:For travel, and times when I do not want to drag a lot of weights, this is an excellent lens on my A77.
reviewer#10174 date: May-4-2012
compared to:Sony kit lenses: 18-55 and 75-300
price paid:500 (new)
positive:Little to no CA. Yay !
Better IQ than the kit lenses.
Solid build, even though it's plastic.
Super quiet piezo drive !!
negative:Zoom creep. Acceptable.
Not quite as far a reach as the 75-300 telephoto it replaced.
comment:First off, I got the $100 rebate. Also, the shop where I bought my SLT-55 from bought back the Sony telephoto for a great deal more than I thought.

I'm new to dslr photography, so I don't have a lot of experience. I noticed a vast improvement in IQ over the kit lenses. That was to be expected.
I've only used it for a few days, but the pics I have are much better than with the previous kit lenses.
reviewer#9254 date: Jul-24-2011
compared to:Sony SAL16105 16-105mm DT
Sony SAL75300 75-300mm
positive:Focal length (of course)
Light-weight
Pretty effective lens hood
No distortion that I can see
negative:Need to use slim filters, these are more expensive than standard ones, some vignetting may occur at full 270mm reach & in harsh sunlit conditions.
comment:You could say its an ideal replacement for both my 18-70mm DT kit zoom and the 75-300mm as well. So far I have noticed no distortion or vignetting. The lens is a little tight at the moment during zooming action but hopefully that will be a "new lens" thing.

I really haven't noticed anything I don't like about this lens. The filter issue really isn't that unexpected and I consider it worth that extra cash to obtain better images without having the vignetting issues.

If anything does crop up after writing this review, I'll edit for updates.

*****UPDATE*****

After using the lens quite considerably since its purchase, on a bright sunny day (rare in the UK I know) and at full 270mm zoom focusing on a church spire vignetting finally revealed itself despite the use of a thin filter. It wasn't as bad as what I've seen before and could be cropped out quite easily really. On anything other than a bright cloud-less day, I don't think its really that noticeable but I'll keep my eyes open for such issues. The ;ens has proven itself to be a very capable workhorse though and is a great all-rounder when carried with my Sigma 10-20mm UWA/10mm fisheye.
reviewer#9195 date: Jun-30-2011
compared to:Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3
price paid:609 Euro
positive:Great range.
Near silent autofocus.
Small, neat and light.
AF/MF switch on lens.
negative:Zoom Creep (but there is a lock button).
Auto focus isn't very fast. Can hunt a bit in low light.
A Mount version doesn't have the VC image stabilisationthat other mounts have.
Not the sharpest lens in the world, but fine for a superzoom.
comment:The main improvement of this lens over the Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 is the PZD motor. It's almost silent, making the older lens sound like it's driven my a steam engine. For still photography, this is a big plus in many situations, but it will be a great benefit for use with video (which I haven't tried yet

The extra 20mm reach at the long end is welcome, but in the real world, doesn't make much difference.

Autofocus performance seems to be about the same as the Tamron 18-250. Maybe a little quicker, but nothing startling.

The AF/MF switch on the lens makes it easier to reach than the one on the body (A550), but to be honest, this isn't the kind of lens you're going to be using in MF mode very much. It should be noted that Tamrom haven't made any Macro claim for this lens (they did for the 18-250, not that it was a true 1:1 macro).

Of course, all superzooms are about compromise. Reach and convenience vs IQ. But the 18-270 is an acceptable compromise as a travel/walkabout/kit replacement lens. Sure, it's not the sharpest, but it's there to do pretty much everything from quite wide to quite long in one neat, light package. If I can only take one lens with me, it's the one that comes every time.

Obviously, there are plenty of times when I reach for something else for a particular scenario, but this lens stays as default on my camera most of the time.