Tokina 300mm F2.8 AT-X AF SD A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#34771 date: Feb-3-2017
compared to:minolta 300 2.8 minolta 400 sony 70-400 g2
price paid:£495.00
positive:build is almost as good as minoltas 300 2.8 nice case and inner bag, focus is ok i have not had the lens long but it doesnt come near to the minolta 300 2.8
negative:the lens is horrible at 2.8 only comes good at f4 and up which sort of defeats the point of having it, it was bought for a stop gap while my minolta was being cleaned
comment:good for a budget option but minolta is way better
reviewer#33737 date: Dec-23-2016
compared to:Minolta 300mm f2.8 APO and Sigma 170-500mm f5-6.3
price paid:$820
positive:This is an extremely well built lens. It's one of those products that just feels nice when handling it. It's fairly sharp even at wider apertures. Distortion is also very low.

This is an extremely affordable lens compared to similar offerings made by Sony and Minolta. Great bang for the buck!
negative:Chromatic aberration. This lens have lots of CA unless it is stopped down and the composition is favorable. It's a challenge to avoid CA with this lens.

Focusing is also relatively slow. Not a huge issue, but certainly a negative attribute.
comment:This is a lens that I think can be best explained using the Pareto principle. It can be had at less than 20% of the cost of an equivalent Minolta/Sony version while delivering at least 80% of the results.

If you're on a budget and want a telephoto prime lens then this is a great mid-shelf option. Build quality is as good as any OEM lens, but optical quality can reveal itself as amateur at times. That is not to say that it can't make great photos, only that when pushed to the limits it may deliver less than desirable results compared to an OEM model.

I used this lens for about a year while traveling and photographing birds. I used it with and without a 1.4x teleconverter with good results. It was a great learning tool that gave me some photos I'm proud of. I've moved on to a Minolta lens of the same focal length and max. aperture. I paid twice as much for the Minolta lens, but of course it is not twice as nice. I'm not sure there's a lens in the same category that can beat the return on investment here.
reviewer#7016 date: Mar-6-2010
compared to:Tamron 200-500
price paid:800 Euro (used)
positive:
comment:
reviewer#3391 date: Mar-22-2008
positive:Build like a tank, sharpness, 2.8 aperture, price
negative:wieght, non AF limiter
comment:I'm realy pleased with this lens ! Excellent build quality, very good sharpness in both center and borders, good AF on A700.

For me, the best deal quality/price for a 300mm f/2.8 in Sony mount !!
reviewer#2237 date: May-1-2007
compared to:Minolta 300mm f4
Sigma 400mm f5.6
price paid:$1200AUD (used)
positive:Build quality, length, f2.8 and price
negative:Weight and AF speed
comment:I purchased this lens from ebay after test driving another list members genuine Minolta 300mm f2.8 and decided I must have the holly grail of prime lenses.

I read pleanty of online reviews that related to this model and found no critisism of it excepting a slower AF speed. The AF speed is not a patch on the genuine Minolta item, but it is less than a 1/3 of the price. Conversely, the Tokina doesn't have focus lock or focus limiting like the Minolta.

The optical quality is great, images are sharp from edge to edge, nice contrast and accurate colour reproduction and more than acceptable wide open.

I've used the lens on my 7D (slow AF) my Dynax 9 (great AF) and my 9xi (faster AF than the 7D but slower than the Dynax 9) but the lens has a full 180 deg of focus range. I would be hesitant to use the lens on an A100 because of its weight, that at a guess would be close to 2Kg.

I shot a local football game (Aussie rules) on the 7D with a mono pod and in manual focus. The tripod collar is in a good spot and it balances well with the weight of the 7D and a grip. The tripod collar does not foul the grip on my Dynax 9 as my 80-200 Minolta f2.8 did.

I was more than surprised when the results betterd my friends brand new Canon 100-400 L. The RAW files were sharper and higher in contrast; both of us used PHASE One as a RAW converter.

I never shot directly into the light so I can only comment on its flare control in ideal conditions which was non existant.

The lens construction is beyond fault and is as good as the Minolta. I still have my Sigma 400mm f5.6 which is a toy in comparrison.

I would recomend this lens to anybody wanting a 300mm f2.8 I just need a full frame digital body to use it on!!!

I've now used this lens on my A700 and it achieved acceptable AF speed and no obvious front or rear focus issues. I photographed a motor sport event in the rain and it performed, as usual without fault.

I've now replaced my A700 with a A900 and can report that the AF speed is greater than that of the Dynax 9 and is sopt on, I just miss the extra reach of the cropped sensor.

Get one if you can.