Tokina 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 AF A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44113 date: Aug-9-2018
compared to:Minolta 75-300mm big beercan.
price paid:$145 USD
positive:Sharp wide open across entire frame and at all focal lengths. Sharpness really doesn't change much stopped down. You just get more DOF. I would have given it a 4.75 for sharpness if I could.
Nine blade aperture makes for very nice bokeh.
negative:MFD at 2 meters! Filter rotates wile focusing.
comment:This lens beats the Minolta in everything except color where the two are equal. Better sharpness and better bokeh than the big beercan.

There are two versions of this lens. One is twist to zoom with a macro setting at 300mm (the one that I'm reviewing here) and the other is a push pull design. I have them both. They are IMHO optically equal.
reviewer#41965 date: Nov-26-2017
compared to:Minolta Big Beercan
Minolta Secret Handshake
Minolta Baby Beercan
Sony SAL18-55
price paid:less than 40 Euro
positive:- Sharp even fully open at 300 mm !!!
- Cheap ( bought in great shape for less then 40 euro >including shipping< and Tokina AT-X UV Filter !!! )
- Build
- Minolta Colors
- Well Balanced ( for me and my A57 :)
- Fast AF
negative:- In some situations CA can be a really problematic and its hard to control
- Very Rare
- MFD
comment:Generally its a great lens I think only Soligor 60-300 its better if we take ,,value for money,, class .... Sharp Sharp and more Sharp on full range and fully open in center and corners its more like MAF 28-135 Secret Handshake than Big Beercan , Build from metal and glass with minimum plastic , great fast AF ( something like Big Beercan ) , Cheap but very hard to find , for no-good things CA is under even 80`s standard , little slack ( but not disturbing ) in front rotating element and focusing ring ( only in my copy ??? ) , heavy ( for me its in plus but not everyone like heavy lens ) , MFD can be a little shorter but its not so bad .... So if You see its on horizon for good price grab it and You`ll be a happy camper just like me :)
reviewer#29654 date: Aug-12-2016
compared to:Minolta Xi 80-200
price paid:€ 35,- no hood & cap
positive:- very, very sharp (my copy?)
- build to last forever
- fast AF (for non HSM)

negative:- no indication between 1.5 mtr. to 2 mtr. (on my copy)
- rotating front element during focussing
- crappy MFD
comment:If this lens comes close to you grab it! For so less money so much sharpness. I bought an A700 for a friend and this lens came in the set, with a little mathematic I reckon I've paid only € 35,- for this lens, so I'm very pleased. I bought a Tokina f2,8 28-70mm to accompagny among all my Sigma lenses. The combination is great for my A900! Ordered a metal-hood 62mm to complete it.