Tokina 80-200mm F2.8 AT-X PRO AF A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#11947 date: Aug-14-2014
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Beercan, Minolta primes, Minolta 28-105, tamron 90 macro, Minolta 500 mirror.
price paid:$400 used, in 2014
positive:Sharp pro lens, alternative to the white lenses
negative:Heavy, close focus is pretty long
Some CA @2.8 but seem worse in viewfinder than in actual images.
comment:I wanted the mate to the Tok 28-70. Takes very nice images. Some CA at 2.8 visible on power lines etc in viewfinder but 20x24 inch prints don't seem to show anything at all. Way cheaper than the white series of lenses.

The lens is heavy enough to be an issue for hand carry or bicycle backpacking if u have other kit to carry. Its OK by itself.
reviewer#11567 date: Dec-30-2013
compared to:Sony Alpha 900
positive:Glaslinser af bedste kvalitet
negative:Meget tungt objektiv i metal
comment:Fantastik
reviewer#11531 date: Dec-7-2013
compared to:beercan
sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG
positive:fast focus, sharpness at 2.8 in low light situations, looks, I smile a lot while using it
negative:screw on shade, min focus distance could be an annoyance it's not a macro not a problem for me
comment:I'll never sell this lens I've owned it for nearly a year. I've found in all situations inside and out this lens delivers.

I really don't like the shade but once screwed on its solid and in cold weather (20 degrees) the auto fucus is slow but spot on. I suppose if you're willing to spend $1,000 plus you can beat it but no way could it be by much. Buy this lens if you can find one and it's under $500

It's heavy. I don't understand complaints against weight in a lens. If your wanting quality then poundage or at least heavy oz'age comes with that want and need
reviewer#9750 date: Jan-3-2012
compared to:Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR II
Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 DG APO Macro
price paid:~520 USD (used)
positive:Built like a tank
Extremely durable
relatively fast AF
pretty cheap for the quality it provides
negative:the AF hunts a little bit every now and then (caused by the body - a100)
the front lens rotates and moves back and forth
lens hood is not the best (screw mount instead of bayonet or mounting thumbscrews)
A bit too heavy for hand-holding longer than an hour or so
comment:I own the lens for about 1 year now and I'm really happy I bought it - it's really cheap, compared to other brands. I almost never leave it home and slowly it became my primary lens. It's really built like a tank - fully metal body, which more or less explains the weight.

Unfortunately there are a few things that I don't like:
- the front lens rotates and moves back and forth, which is IMHO a dust sucker in case you don't put a filter on.
- the hood is with screw-mount, which is rather odd and inconvenient.
- known issues with AC and purple fringing on high-contrast edges

However it's fast and the AF is almost always accurate. Checked it a few times with a77 - the AF was tack sharp and was incredibly fast, so I think my focusing issues were caused by my body instead (a100).

For the money you'd pay is IMHO quite reasonable lens and performs definitely well. May be if there were less CA's and fringing it would've been a LOT better lens..
reviewer#9571 date: Nov-10-2011
comment:
reviewer#8633 date: Feb-7-2011
price paid:233 Euro(used)
positive:Build like tank
Sharp stopped down a little
negative:Long MFD
Heavy
comment:I could buy this one cheap because it had a scratch on the front element(which didn't affect the picture quality) so I decided to give it a try.

Because this isn't a range I use a lot in normal photography and I had both the 90mm and 180mm Tamron macro's I didn't really care about this lens(not that it was a bad lens).

Sold it soon after with a profit of 57 Euro.
reviewer#8126 date: Oct-21-2010
compared to:Sigma 70-200 2.8
positive:Cheap, sharp tank of a lens
negative:Screw on hood, CA compared to Sigma
comment:For an amateur/hobbyist this lens is fantastic. It's not all that common to have to deal with CA and when you do it's easily defeatable in PP.

I spent a week with a family member's Sigma equivalent and decided I absolutely must have something comparable. This performs as well as the Sigma I used in every way but CA and possibly a tiny bit of sharpness at 2.8.

I leave my hood on. The hood itself has a threaded ledge inside that nicely fits a $5 82mm lens cap. Don't quote me on that size. Only issue is the extra room in the bag.

Love this lens, definitely made the right choice when I bought it.
reviewer#7428 date: May-11-2010
compared to:Other brands with similar range. Sony, Minolta, Tamron, Sigma
price paid:510.00 USD (new)
positive:Built like a TANK. Looks Professional. Very sharp. Solid. Metal hood. Easy to switch to manual focus. Cheaper than competition.
negative:Little heavy, Can't put lens cap on while hood is on.
comment:This is an excellent lens for the price. It looks like a pro lens and works like one too. Focusing is quick and accurate. Switches to manual focus easily. Built like a tank. I looked at the Sony, Sigma, Tamron and Minolta before I bought this lens. All of the above cost a lot more than the Tokina. I don't think any of them could be built better than this one. For the price, this is an excellent lens. It is tack sharp at all f/stops except 2.8. It is still acceptable at 2.8. At anything past f/4 it is extremely sharp. My other Tokina (28-80) uses the same size filter (77mm) so they can be switched back and forth if needed.
CA's are controlled pretty well. It does have a little at 2.8 but after f/4 there are none. This is one of the sharpest lenses I have used and I recommend it to anyone that doesn't have the money for the other brands.
reviewer#7021 date: Mar-6-2010
compared to:Minolta 80-200mm F2.8
Tamron 70-200 F2.8
price paid:600 USD (Used)
positive:Sharp, Fast & Smooth Focus, Excellent Body Build. Accurate Focus, Smaller Size compare Minolta 80-200mm 2.8
negative:Too Heavy, Hard to Find
comment:
reviewer#6606 date: Dec-19-2009
compared to:-Tamron 70-300
-Tamron 24-135
positive:+Ergonomic suitable for heavy body
+F2.8
+Tank like other Tokies
+If not miss correct plane, this lens is tack sharp at F2.8 (and more sharper if stopdown)
negative:-too much CA, a heavy, and many pictures can't remove this stuff away
comment:Like many of reviews here, the only defect of this lens is CA, and it is more than any other lens I have, too much CA.

I tried to use LR2 to remove it, failed.

For sharpness, I don't have any comment. It can perform as it's level of lens, the Pro lens.

In conclusion, I like it so much, and I already learnt that how to avoid the CA by selecting suitable composition and light source and light contrast in my frame.

======

After try with A900, Sharpness still very good CA is the same but vignette is more obvious.

CA af F2.8 cause blue cast on the whole image.
reviewer#6406 date: Nov-18-2009
compared to:Nikon 70-210 f4, Nikon 55-200vr, sony 50mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
price paid:350 usd used mint
positive:Fast focusing
scary sharp
solid build
negative:tried on 4 cameras.
Back focused on 2 but was spot on on the other 2?
maybe the cameras fault, maybe i sux at using a camera.
comment:Well what a pain. Got this lens, it back focused on 2 of my cameras, sent it in had it recalibrated and rebuilt. still back foucsed. sent it back and they said it works fine. tried it on a friends a350 and it works great, tried it on a film camera and it works great. dont know what to say...... maybe...... nope i just dont know. so if it is working good with the camera you use it with it is amazing,
reviewer#6309 date: Nov-2-2009
Color,
Bokeh,
Range,
negative:Heavy =))
comment:It's better than Tokina 100-300mm F4!!!
Sharp at F 2.8.
Fast AF
IQ event at 2.8
negative:Minimum focus distance at 1800mm
heavy
comment:I own this lens for a few weeks. I only start using it (i was waiting for the sun).

I am planning to shoot indoor judo contest in may and to make a full test in front of the tamron on both A700 and A900 (and maybe a Dynax 9)

The first impression is waouwww. The build quality is as usual with Tokina great.

I read that it is a little soft at 2.8 but I am happy and do not complain about it. I also find that IQ is superb at 4.
reviewer#3250 date: Feb-11-2008
compared to:- Tokina 100-300 F4
- Beercan
price paid:USD 700 (mint +)
positive:- Fast
- Sharp at both-ends
- Built like a tank
- Smaller than most 70-200mm F2.8 (ease to carry it in your bag)
- Superb Bokeh~!
- Easy adjustment from AF/MF (AF Lock/ Unlock)
negative:- Hunt a lil indoor
- Very light CA
- Round hood, not a petal hood (d@mn! - doesn't look that cool)
comment:I've seen mixed review about this lens. For me so far, the copy that I owned doesn't seem to have any problem at all.
It's fast and sharp. Only sometimes at some certain angle, the object may have light CA. Perhaps, it may be due to the old lens coating on the lens element.

I'm very satisfy with this lens compare to Beercan and other zoom telephoto. I'd say it's one of the best out there.

Easy adjustment from AF-MF. After it auto-focused, you may still tweak the focus ring (without switching to MF) a lil more to provide futher focusing accuracy and adjust to your liking..
reviewer#3249 date: Feb-10-2008
compared to:Beercan
Sony 18-250mm
price paid:450 Euro (mint)
positive:Good and sturdy building. Nice handling and AF.
negative:Soft at 2.8. Need stopping down to 4.0/5.6 or more
Flare
CA
comment:I don't understand the positive writing about this lense. But it may be that I've owned a bad example.

I found the lense Soft at 2.8. And what's the use of owning a 2.8 lense if it needsto be stopped down to F5.6? You're better of with a beercan.

CA was there and also flare. Compared to the beercan and also the Sony 18-250mm this lense loses in terms of IQ.

Stopped down the Tokina delivers good results but that's not why I choose a big and heavy 2.8 lense.
reviewer#2629 date: Aug-13-2007
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
price paid:330 Euro (used)
positive:Great for low light
Fairly fast, accurate AF
negative:not really negative, but one might find:

heavy (not for me though)
focus disctance (1.8m)
comment:This one is build like a tank and heavy. I've had no Probs so far. Stopped down a bit it is very sharp. The Bokeh is very pleasant and smooth.

Edit: I noticed problems with the AF. In lowlight situations my copy starts to make a rattling noise, mostly when the object I want to take a picture of is nearer than the minimum focus distance. I've had it serviced, but it did not change.
reviewer#2194 date: Apr-22-2007
positive:-constant F2.8.
-sharp from F3.2 throughout the range.
-Built like a tank.
-Fast focusing speed.
negative:-Heavy, due to the large aperture and solid build.
-CA in high contrast situations.
comment:I bought this lens from a fellow Dyxum member. Its an awesome piece of glass, and for the price, I don't think there is anything that comes even close.

Doing some tests in my room, the lens is a bit soft at 200mm F2.8, but stop it to F3.2 and it becomes quite sharp. Under 200mm, its sharp enough for my taste even at F2.8. Stop down to F3.5 its very sharp at 200mm, and by F4 and over its tack sharp throughout the range.

Focusing is very fast, and on my A100 I was able to track some birds in the garden while they were flying.

Being a Tokina, and an F2.8 lens at that, its quite heavy, but I like the way it balances on my A100. The rotating tripod collar is non removable, and some might find hand holding the lens uncomfortable due to it. In my case, its the opposite, I like resting the lens on its tripod mount on my palm, while I tackle the zoom ring with my thumb and index fingers. It makes the camera-lens combination feel very balanced in my hand, and I can zoom in/zoom out pretty quickly.

The downside? It can suffer from CA in high contrast conditions, and it can be overwhelming if its a very sharp edge, like a tree trunk under the shade of the tree with the sun behind it in the afternoon. But in most conditions, I couldn't find any traces of CA. Also, being a constant F2.8 means its pretty heavy, but then again, all F2.8 lenses in that range are the same.

Its not the best lens out there, but for the price, there is nothing that comes even close in terms of build quality, autofocus speed, and sharpness.
reviewer#1909 date: Mar-3-2007
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
price paid:450 Eur (as new)
negative:Heavy. The AF-MF switch is not a handy thing, but you can work with it.
comment:I own this lens for a couple of weeks, verry happy with him, the pictures are verry sharp.
reviewer#1456 date: Nov-21-2006
compared to:Minolta 300mm f/4.0
Minolta 70-210 f/4.0
price paid:???
negative:color a bit subdued
comment:I've owned this lens since new in the early 90s. It is an earlier version than shown in the picture but seems to have the same optical construction. On my film cameras I loved the lens. But the first time I used it on the 7D I thought it was hunting too much. But, I used it in a football game a few weeks ago and did not notice any focusing issues. What I did notice were subdued colors when compared to the images shot with my Minolta 300. In a quick indoor test against my newly acquired "beercan" it seemed every bit as sharp. I would recommend it.
reviewer#1350 date: Oct-25-2006
compared to:minolta 80-200 2.8
minolta 70-210 4
price paid:350 (used)
positive:sharp from f4.5 and up at all apartures
very good colors
good focusing speed
negative:heavy
soft at 2.8 (softer at 200 then at 80)
problematic AF/MF switch
comment:very good value for the money i paid for it
its sharp from 4.5 and up, shapest at f8 (like most lenses)
it apears that it is sharper then the beercan at f8

the af/mf switch is very anoying.
obviously it is not as sharp as the minolta 80-200 2.8

Fairly fast, accurate AF
negative:Heavy
Some CA in extreme situations
Bokeh just OK
comment:I've used this most for concerts, where the AF speed, accuracy and sharpness at f2.8 has allowed me to produce some great results, despite less than ideal lighting at times. The build quality is excellent and it feels good to use until your arms get tired from holding it. The zoom ring seems to turn in the wrong direction, which takes getting used to. When used outdoors I've found that in some cases the bokeh leaves a bit to be desired, when there are bright OOF specular highlights and/or very busy backgrounds. It can also produce CA in extreme situations of high contrast. But for most situations I've found it focuses quickly and accurately, doesn't hunt too much, produces decent bokeh (including with extension tubes), and works better with my Tamron 2x SP AF TC than the beercan does. I'm certainly glad to have it.
reviewer#175 date: Oct-26-2005
positive:fast lens
Excellent build quality
sharp at F4 and above
quite good AF speed.
negative:less resolution
CA issue at F3.5 and below
heavy
AF hunt at low light, and noisy.
MF badly design
comment:the heaviest lens i ever own. just imagine you hook this lens on a 7D with vertical grip, and 5600HSD flash on board, you'll need a muscular arm to hold it well! it's the most affortable 80-200 mid tele lens you can own.

The image is sharp wide open F2.8 at center, and reasonable good on the corner from 80-200. Very sharp image on F4 onwards, and you get full sharp image from center to corner at F4.5 onwards.

Colour is not as saturated and less contrast compare to Sigma mid-tele lens, but can be overcome with my 7D saturation control in body. If you shoot in RAW, this can be easily adjust with Photoshop CS / CS2 RAW converter.

Bokeh is very pleasant and smooth. i'm surprise with this bokeh reproduction at this price. It is almost as good as Minolta 80-200 F2.8 SSM which has 3x the price tag compare to tokina.

This lens can be combined with 2X tele from Tamron. I have not tried out Sigma or Minolta teleconverter hence no comment. The widest aperture after 2X-tele is F5.6. I tend to step down to F8 to get sharp image (althought not as sharp as lens itself without 2x). Autofocus speed reduce slightly when combine with 2X-tele.

Distortion is well control, no sign of barrel or pinchusion throughout the zoom range.

Switching between MF and AF may be an hazzle. I don't like the mechanical design of the MF/AF. MF isn't as smooth with this design. I wonder why can't they just design a small AF/MF switch like most lens do and design a better MF ring for smoother MF?

Chromatic aberration seem to be a problem on F3.5 and below if you are not careful on the background, like tree, sharp corner, straight line..etc. However, shooting in RAW (Remove chromatic aberration) may save your day of editing distracting blue/purple corner.
reviewer#74 date: May-12-2005
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
positive:Build quality. Sharp at f/2.8. Cheap.
negative:Chromatic aberration.
comment:I get extreme amounts of chromatic aberration with this lens. As I recall from using it on my film body, it wasn't so severe, but with the D7D it is quite unacceptable.
reviewer#48 date: Feb-14-2005
positive:Price, build quality
negative:It is so heavy; I have problems using it with a battery grip and a quick release such as those from Manfroto .
comment:I love this lens, But its heavy AF if a little slow on the 7D

Edit I have stopped using this lens, and use my beer can instead

reviewer#19 date: Nov-28-2004
compared to:200/2.8 G
positive:Excellent image and build quality
negative:Like all zooms of this class it is heavy
comment:AF speed with the 7D isn't as good as with my 200/2.8G. Image quality and build quality are very good, just like all the Tokina AT-X pro lenses I've had so far.