Vivitar 28-210mm F3.5-5.6 A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#39947 date: Oct-5-2017
compared to:Sigma 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG Macro
... and many other lenses
positive:Very cheap used, zoom range, bokeh, sharpness stopped down, color
negative:Off-axis sharpness wide open, long close focus, vignetting, flare when a light source is in the frame
comment:Overall, this is a lens that makes a lot of compromises to span its 7.5X range, but the compromises are wisely selected for a one-to-do-it-all lens. Wide open looks lousy off axis and at wide settings the FF corners get dark (this explains the strongly negative reviews it often gets), but the center looks good and colors and bokeh look good too, and that's probably what folks want most. When stopped down to f/11, the lens actually resolves well across the entire FF sensor. Yes, there's some distortion, some transverse CA, the push/pull zoom creeps, etc., but fundamentally the only really annoying thing is the long close focus. Incidentally, the screw drive autofocus works well on my A7RII + LA-EA4.

I would have assumed these sorts of tradeoffs were basically as good as one could do for a 7.5X wide-to-tele zoom... but then I have that Sigma. The Sigma is quite sharp throughout, smaller and handles better, but it delivers inferior color and bokeh. I call the Sigma the better lens, but this Vivitar actually might be more desirable overall if only it could focus reasonably close on the wide end. It also doesn't hurt that this lens is a lot easier to find for under $50 than that Sigma is....

I have posted a more complete review at:
reviewer#9453 date: Sep-29-2011
compared to:Sony 18-200
Tamron 28-300 XR LD Di
Minolta 35-200 xi
price paid:£22 GBP used
positive:Range
negative:Everything else.
comment:This lens is simply awful. Until I used it I thought the original Minolta 35-80 was the worse MA mount lens I have ever used. This is even worse. Dont buy it at any price!!!
reviewer#8900 date: Apr-9-2011
Chinon 30-100mm
Tokina 35-105mm
MC MTO-11CA 1000mm
price paid:£20.00
positive:Good strong build, fast manual focus and zoom. Pictures have good colour and sharp but you do need to use a fast shutter like 200 and up. Depth of field work fine compared to other lenses. I like this lens alot. Great zoom range.
negative:No zoom lock. Minimun focus 2.5m so not really an indoor lens.Can be soft on pictures due to sunlight (fixed that with a UV filter off ebay 2 pound).
comment:You can pick these up for very little money and if you have some experience and like the older lenses you can get some good shots from this lens. I like it a lot
but for £20.00 you cannot go wrong.
reviewer#1185 date: Sep-14-2006
positive:Robust build
Sliding zoom
Well built
Good range
negative:No zoom lock (slides when pointed up or down)
Loss of light (most photos are dark)
Long distance (2m or 6') for minimum focus
Was a bit heavy for the the photos it produced
Photos soft
comment:I liked this lense when I first got it for its range. But as I've had a chance to experiment with other lenses, I find that it is (in a nutshell) dark and soft. The photos often seemed under-exposed. To get where they needed to be took longer shutter speeds (do I dare say slow?).

I find the lense to be soft at all focal lenghts, some shots better when stopped down, but this seems, to me at least, to not be very high quality glass. Color was very bland, dark, and seemed to have a blue tint to it. Boy was I surprised when I got my first beercan.

The zoom ALWAYS creeps when being carried and is rather large (& heavry). On the positive side, it has a robust build and took plenty of knocks without ill effect. The build would have gotten a 4 save for the weight and lack of a zoom lock. I didn't notice any discernable distortion on it.

I never experienced any flare with this lense and never even bothered with the hood.
reviewer#665 date: Apr-4-2006
compared to:28-80, 70-300, 24-85 and so on
positive:none
negative:THIS IS BAD!
comment:I would like to recall my last review where I was quite possitive abouit this el cheapo lens. Well the price is low, but the quality is also low. I've now done the tests more properely and must say this lens is realy realy bad. Very soft wide open, you must use this lens at f8 minimum to get some decent results. The bokeh is plain awfully.
Only use this lens for taking some snapshots outside in bright light, other uses is asking for trouble!!
reviewer#605 date: Mar-21-2006
compared to:28-80(D)
28-135mm
positive:Cheap! Contrast quite OK, sharpness not all to bad
negative:Min focus distance is 1.9m
comment:I bought this lens for 35euro (40$), so it's ridicousely cheap, it's my cheapest lens in my collection. Bought it for the extra range, plan to use it on vacation trips and for occations where switching lenses is not convenient.
Well, the quality is not all to be bad, beneath 180 mm it's sharpness is not all to bad. 28-135mm is naturely much better, I think even the plastic 28-80(D) lens is a bit better when lens is wide open.
The biggest problem with this lens is it's minimum focus distance, 1.9m. For shooting indoors this may be to long. Think I will keep this lens.
reviewer#503 date: Feb-15-2006
compared to:50mm f/1.7
positive:Sliding zoom
negative:Sliding zoom
comment:This lens have a sliding zoom. This is positive and negative at same time.
Positive: fast zoom
Negative: when you shot in angles over or under 45 deg. and you not holding it, lens slides in or out. Unusable on tripod for macro or sky shoting.

Minimum fucus distance is unusable in rooms, but for outside shoting is great. Very fast zooming and average focus speed. Noticeable softer than 50mm f/1.7

Heavily noticeable chromatic aberation. Colors looks same as on 50mm f/1.7