Minolta AF 28mm F2.8 A-mount lens reviews

Minolta AF 28-135 f4-4.5
Sony 18-135 f3.5-5.6
Konica Minolta 11-18 f4.5-5.6
price paid:65€
positive:Small, light, build, fast AF focus
Beautiful bokeh
negative:Some flare-ghostling issues
Not very sharp for a prime
comment:Bought this used but almost mint.
Almost 30 years lens that seems to have 3, amazing build.

This was my initiation lens, never get it out from the camera during the first 2 months. Only good words about it, but it´s range it´s not so useful on a APSC sensor for me, because I almost take lanscape pictures, so I sold it to buy a Minolta 11-18.

Not so sharp as a Minolta AF 50 f1.7 I used to own and not so good colors, maybe because I used it on a sony a230 and now I´m comparing with a slt a37 pictures.

Sold it to help me afford a used Minolta 11-18 and a used sony 18-135, but it´s a jewel for its price for somebody with a FF camera o who likes fixed focal lenght lenses

reviewer#11484 date: Nov-16-2013
compared to:24-85 f3.5-4.5
35-70 f4
35-105 f3.5-4.5 (0riginal)
Sigma 24 f2.8
price paid:$50 USD (used)
positive:Acceptable as a "standard" lens on APS-C
Small and light
Fast focus even in low light
Decent bokeh
negative:So-so sharpness for a prime
Color not quite as saturated as my other Minolta lenses from this era
The built in "hood" is a joke (a filter gives the same "shading" as this hood)
comment:This lens is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. The overall performance isn't actually bad, but I had been hoping that it would handily outperform the zoom lenses that are close to its range at least in terms of sharpness and distortion...

The truth is that unless I need the extra little bit of wide range and the extra stop of light gathering, I prefer the 35-70 f4 or 35-105 to this lens for overall IQ. If I were to pick a single prime to mount up for walkaround, then the Sigma 24 f2.8 SWII would get the nod as I like the rendering and crisper look of the images I get from it, as well as the versatility that its close focus capability offers.

The 28 f2.8 certainly has good qualities, but it feels like a compromise in almost every way when compared to other lenses in my kit. I think that the only thing I would use it for as my go-to would be street photography on an overcast day where the extra light gathering was a benefit, or in a situation where I couldn't get enough distance from my subjects to make the 35mm focal length viable, but didn't want the the images to have an obvious wide-angle look.

If I hadn't gotten a deal on this lens I would be pretty disappointed, but at $50 total cost I can keep it in the bag without feeling guilty, in my opinion this lens won't be worth the average $80-100 used retail price to many Dyxum users.

P.S. If I would rate the color at a 4.5 if that was an option, it's not *bad* color, just not quite as pleasing as the best of the first gen. Maxxum lenses.

** after using the 28 f2.8 for a few more weeks, I have to say that its positive qualities are beginning to win me over... the goodness in this lens is subtle while the failings are less subtle, however I am beginning to get the hang of using it to its best advantage; as long as the shot doesn't need ultimate sharpness, punchiest contrast (by Minolta standards that is) or perfect linearity, but *does* need a quick handling lens with just-wide-of-standard angle of view, then the feel that the 28 f2.8 imparts on images makes it worth bringing along in the pack.
reviewer#11235 date: Jul-5-2013
positive:
comment:Quality lens.

For the cash it's quite unbelievable cosidering the cost of many lenses today.

When coupled with the Minolta 7D, it's the dream ticket. I say this as the 7D is sssslloooooowww by todays standards, but this lens makes it a perfect camera.

It hasn't been off my Minolta 7D for a long time.
reviewer#11204 date: Jun-22-2013
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7
Minolta 28-105 f3.5-4.5
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8
price paid:£90 Second Hand
positive:-size
-price
-decent image quality
-practical field of view on apsc
negative:-flare
-needs stopping down to sharpen up
comment:I have spent a year shooting only this 28 and a 50 1.7.

This lens is very useful on an aps-c size sensor and can serve a "standard" lens. It's light and very "pocketable" which makes it a good travel companion. The colours that it delivers are very nice and natural. I also do not see any visible to my eye distortion.

The disadvantages of this lens are flare and lack of sharpness wide open. You are better off covering the lens with your hand rather than using the inbuilt hood. The performance at f4 is very good though. I would say that up to 10MP or 12MP cameras this lens can perform very well but once you shoot with 24MP the shortcomings of it become very obvious...

I did end up selling this lens in the end as DT 16-50 SSM delivers better IQ and sharpness at 28mm wide open.
reviewer#11053 date: Apr-18-2013
compared to:35/2, 50/1.4
positive:Sharp center wide open, all over at f5.6
Small, light and excellent build
negative:Soft corners until f4
comment:I really like this lens, and usually take it with me when I carry my A850, though the 35/2 is better and now that I own another, will likely carry it instead of the 28 and 50.

This was a very inexpensive lens when new, but it doesn't show. Build quality is the same as my more expensive Minolta primes and the optical quality matches. Useable wide open, but stopped down to f5.6 or f8 you won't do any better at any price. As a primarily landscape and travel lens I'll trade wide-open sharpness for light weight, small size and excellent build quality any day.

I got mine for $50 and use it far more than my 24/2.8, which isn't any sharper at medium apertures.
reviewer#11001 date: Mar-27-2013
compared to:Sony DT 50mm F/1.8
price paid:35 GBP (used)
positive:+Superb build quality.
+Nice AF.
comment:Nice and compact prime, superb build quality. I like screw AF a bit more than the SAM in-built motor, it sounds better and feels a bit faster too.

Sold now, I will replace it with Sony DT 30mm F/2.8 macro, more features just for few extra pounds.
reviewer#10999 date: Mar-27-2013
compared to:18-75 kitlens
price paid:can't remember
positive:Light, small, good for low-light situations
negative:Just not enough wide-angle..
comment:Great little lens. I use it for my indoor low-light black-and-white band photography, when I need some more angle than I can get with the 50mm/1.7
reviewer#10900 date: Feb-3-2013
compared to:N/A
positive:Compact
Build Quality
Minolta Color
Fast AF
negative:Crappy Hood
Some flare
comment:This is a great little prime lens. A bit soft around the edges, however it's sharp in the middle. The colors are fantastic. A good bang for the buck!
reviewer#10703 date: Nov-15-2012
compared to:Min 28-105 F3.5-4.5
Sigma 28-70 F2.8-4 D
Min 35 F2
positive:colour, size
negative:distortion
comment:Initially was completely underwhelmed by this lens and was going to give it away. I removed the UV filter that came mounted on the lens as part of the final clean, took a few shots and it was like using a different lens.

Centre is sharp from wide open and seems best across the image from F5.6-F13.5. Diffraction creeps in after this.

Typical Minolta colour. This lens can give great results and is small enough to have in the bag 'just in case'.
reviewer#10601 date: Oct-18-2012
compared to:Carl Zeiss 2470Z
price paid:100 USD (USED)
positive:Very compact.
Very sharp. See comments.
Excellent color.
Excellent flare control.
Extremely tight built and good feel.
Fast and quite AF.
negative:Not so good extreme corner sharpness.
None.
comment:This is a GOOD Lens, I mean it. Though a 1985 design, it is not old, Sony has a exactly same copy for it for several years.

If you can find it for 100USD, don't think, go for it!!

It has the typical Minolta household color, a top class built, I mean the focus ring even feels like a manual lens. Center sharpness is on par with Carl Zeiss 24-70 on F2.8, corner is not so good wide open, but at F5.6 it is as good as center.

Love this little lens on my A900, really nice for a everyday walk around option.
Did I mention the nice built in hood? LOL.
reviewer#10600 date: Oct-16-2012
compared to:Tamron SP AF 17-50 F2.8
Tamron SP AF 35-105 F2.8
Minolta 50 F1.7
positive:- Small and lightweight
- Nice sharpness in center of image
- Pleasant bokeh
- Cheap and easy to find
negative:- Soft corners, needs to be stopped down at least to F5.6 to produce sharp image on the edges
- Big CA
- Big vignetting on 35mm frame
- Flares, useless hood
comment:Nice walkaround lens, good for street photography. Not as good as should be for landscapes because of weak corners and CA. Although it's far from perfect, I like this lens and I've made very nice pictures with it.
reviewer#10514 date: Sep-15-2012
price paid:89 (used)
positive:Sharp from F4 and up
Colors seem good, maybe only slightly cool
negative:Flare control and built in hood sucks, get a aftermarket hood and your okay.
comment:This lens is good, even on APS-C sensor, it's useful. The kit lens is a joke, this will at least get you a "in between" prime that is cheap and sharp. Color is good, maybe slightly cool but easily fixable. Sharp at F4 and up, F2.8 can be soft around the edges. Get them while you can, Sony discontinued the 28mm prime.
reviewer#10395 date: Jul-18-2012
compared to:Minolta 24 f2.8
Sony 35 f1.8
positive:SHARP!!!!
Minolta colour
negative:Poor hood
comment:I got a total surprise with this lens - very sharp at f2.8 and it stays sharp.

Great colours and better than the Sony in this respect.

Better than my previous copies so beware of sample variation.
reviewer#10375 date: Jul-13-2012
- compact lens
- colors
- bokeh
- sharpness
negative:- not so wide on APS-C
comment:PREVIOUS: My copy is definitively not so sharp, even stopped down is far from the results of the other lenses. Maybe the lenses are a bit disaligned but i don't know... (READ BELOW)

EDIT: I used this lens with my A77 and the sharpness problem went away... maybe it was a backfocus problem or similar with the A200, that can explain why it showed at all apertures.
Now the sharpness compares very well to the 16-50/2.8 and it's only a bit less than 50/1.7.

This lens has very beautiful colors and bokeh at wide open, it's lightweight and small enough to be very confortable to carry with.
reviewer#10334 date: Jun-26-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 24
Minolta AF 50/3.5
Minolta 70-210/4 1st Gen.
Minolta 35-105/3.5-4.5 1st Gen.
positive:Size
Sharp wide open
beautiful colors
creamy bokeh (round aperture)
negative:Built in hood is too small
49mm Filter instead of 55mm
comment:Very nice Focal Length on Aps-c for portraiture and street photography. If you get the focus right, than the image is sharp at f2.8, comparable with my 50mm macro, altough the macro is indeed a tack sharper. Sharpness is more or less equal to my copy of the Minolta 24/2.8.
reviewer#10304 date: Jun-14-2012
positive:Light
Solid
negative:the hood.
APS-C range
comment:I find this lens fun, and unless I really need that extra bit of light that a f/1.7 will get me with the 50, I tend to reach for this one these days. On the crop sensor, the range is interesting. It brings new meaning to the "get closer" mantra and as soon as I convinced myself that being as close was OK, I found I really liked what this lens was doing. It's sharp, has a nice and interesting range, good colour. I like the feel of it in my hand.

I wish it was wider, but that's the thing about APS-C. Better bokeh than some others I've tried, which is to say I've not noticed it being bothersome.
reviewer#10223 date: May-19-2012
compared to:Sony 18-55 kit lens
Min 35-105 4.5N
Min 50mm 1.7
positive:Reasonable sharpness, especially stopped down.
Size.
Price.
Not much disortion.
Range on an aps-c = normal.
Good street lens
Build quality.
2.8
negative:Not the sharpest tack in the tool box.
the lens hood is "adorable"
comment:note: First time I posted this under the Sony version. My Mistake!
I enjoy this lens. It's not MINDBLOWING but it functions well. It's sharpness (on my copy) is between the 18-55 kit lens and the 50 1.7. So it's more than reasonable. Mind you i'm only a part time pixel peeper. . .i come from a more "ruff neck" school of photography. a little more street, a little more punk rock hip hop. and as a street lens it's fabulous. it has that much desired normal range on aps-c. it's fun to attempt composition with this lens. it will open you up to new ideas. at first it's a little dull, but don't give up. keep it on your body until the clouds open up and you start to see fun new compositions and imagery occur.
And well. . .the price. i love a bargain and that i can get something fun for the price.
i like it!
are there better lenses? sure. . . can you make good images with this one? ABSOLUTELY!!
reviewer#10178 date: May-6-2012
compared to:Sigma 17-70
price paid:eur 75
positive:Small and very sharp
negative:Some CA
comment:I really like this little lens as a walk around street photography lens on my A65. This combo is very small and silent. Even wide open it is very sharp in the center. When I read other comments on this lens I get the feeling that there might be some sample variation.
reviewer#10171 date: May-3-2012
compared to:Sony 35mm f1.8
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Sony 16-105 f3.5-5.6
Sony 18-55 f3.5-5.6
Sony 18-70 f3.5-5.6
price paid:£65 (used)
positive:Relatively cheap for a Minolta prime.
Small and light, but well built.
negative:Surprisingly mediocre IQ.
comment:HiDesert is absolutely spot on with the review below mine and I haven't got that much to add except to entirely concur.

Its not appalling, but its just nowhere near as good as it 'ought to be' in my opinion. Every shot I took with it was just ok, not one single shot came across as really sharp or impressive.

Out of the lenses listed above, only the unloved Sony 18-70 failed to give better IQ at the same focal length and then it was a close call.

Unless you're desperate for f2.8, if you've already got a Sony 18-55 kit lens, just give this a miss, the kit lens is both better and more flexible and that's much more of an indictment of the 28mm f2.8 than it is singing the praises of the 18-55mm kit lens. In absolute terms neither are great lenses, but the 28mm f2.8 is the weaker of the two.

Only good thing about it is that I managed to sell it for more than I bought it for.
reviewer#10012 date: Mar-9-2012
compared to:Minolta 50mm F1.7
Sony 35mm F1.8
Tamron 17-50 F2.8
price paid:$100 IIRC
positive:Built like a tank
negative:Soft
comment:This lens is the example to bring up if anyone ever tells you that any prime lens is better than any zoom lens. Other than being F2.8, this lens produces no better image quality than any of the zooms I listed in "compared to." And that includes the 18-200, the worst walkaround zoom I've ever had. The 18-55, 16-105, and certainly the 17-50 all produce sharper images than this lens, even if you stop this prime down. And it's nowhere near the same leage of image quality as the 50mm F1.7 or the 35mm F1.8. Now that I've got my Tamron 17-50 F2.8, I might sell this lens. I got it when the 18-200, that champion of mediocrity, that poster child of underwhelmingness, and even with that comparison the 28mm F2.8 failed to impress. If my 18-55 broke, I'd trade this for a good 18-55 without a second thought. Even that basic kit zoom is sharper and more fun to use.

To sum up; I'm not impressed.
reviewer#9999 date: Mar-6-2012
-Quite sharp
-Cheap
negative:-Hood
-Flare
comment:Nice lens if you´re on a budget. You can find ´em easily on ebay. And it doesn´t loose it´s value anymore and it´s easy to sell. Good buy.

Fast 2.8 aperture. Distortion not a problem. Flaring can be. Famous for it´s ridicilous built in hood. The hood is absolutely useless. Build is all metal, so it feels very solid. Small, so it doesn´t take that much space on your camera bag.

I don´t do much pixel peeping, but seems almost as sharp as the Minolta´s 50mm 1.7.
Focus speed isn´t so fast. It isn´t slow, but it´s just not fast for a prime. 50mm is faster.

Sold mine after purchasing the 15-30mm Sigma. It just wasn´t wide enough (or fast enough) to make it useful. Because of the crop factor works on aps-c sensor like a 50mm on FF.

I would recommend it on APS-C, not so much on FF. But almost worth buying for because of the worst hood design of the history of cameras.
reviewer#9957 date: Feb-21-2012
small/light weight
sharp
natural/neutral angle of view
negative:tiny hood
comment:Bought this lens to use on my Minolta Dynax film SLR. I rarely used it. I really like it on my Alpha 700 for street photography. I could recommend it without a doubt and will keep it - FF times will come in the future.
reviewer#9913 date: Feb-11-2012
compared to:minolta 24-85mm
minolta 50mm f3.5 macro
sigma 18-200mm
price paid:65 usd
positive:sharp minolta colors, lens construction, cheap alternative wide lens for your sony alpha aps-c close to 50mm.
negative:the lens hood is cute but not very helpful...
comment:another vintage lens from minolta. its wide for full frame but for aps-c it will give you the sweet spot almost 50mm to take snapshots in almost any situation.. its a walk around lens for me. its this one or the 50mm f3.5 macro.
reviewer#9816 date: Jan-18-2012
price paid:Rp. 1.100.000
positive:Sharp, Sharp, Sharp!
Definitely Minolta colors
Build like AK-47
negative:For this price? Nay.
comment:This is the best, cheapest, widest prime someone can afford. Sharp even wide open. Small, light, yet metal build. On APSC sensor, it is closer to 50mm, only slightly wider. Thus, for such price, this is the best lens for street shots, indoor shots, and, of course, long exposure night starry sky with ISO 400 and below.

Beautiful, warm toned colors, like all original Minolta AF mounts. Best bokeh of course at the minimum focus distance.

Oh, and the lens have built in hood, and as you may already know, a hood is just a gimmick for boosting looks. Using hands are always better. :P
reviewer#9798 date: Jan-17-2012
compared to:Sigma 24mm f2.8 Super Wide II
price paid:80 EUR
positive:small, light, sharp, excellent colours
comment:my favourite lens at the moment.
reviewer#9483 date: Oct-9-2011
compared to:Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
positive:Cheap
Filter size
Colour
negative:Build
comment:A little soft at the edges with large apertures. Not as sharp throughout as my Sigma 17-70, but lovely Minolta colours. Small and easy to keep in a bag side pocket. Build is a little dodgy, but I think that's probably just mine as one a friend has is alot better.
reviewer#9436 date: Sep-18-2011
compared to:Minolta 28-105 3.5-4.5 RS
Minolta 50 f1.7
price paid:4200 THB (135 USD)
positive:Price
Color
Distortion
negative:Only 28mm (42mm APS-C)
Only 2.8
comment:Waited to get this one for a while for a wider than 50mm with a low price.

From other reviews I thought it was not bad at all and I've found that it's kinda good

At 28mm from 28-105 causes more distortion from this len and except for its length this little one is much better

Tried some portrait shot but I think I prefer an image from my 50 f1.7 and 100-200 f4.5 but it's perfect to stick with my camera all the time for gerneral shooting

I'll try 24 f2.8 in the future for the length so this 28 will be useful until then :-)
reviewer#9306 date: Aug-6-2011
compared to:Minolta 50/1.7
Sony 18-55 SAM
price paid:£92 ( used )
positive:Price
Brightness
Built like a tank
negative:slightly strange focal range
Hoods worthless ( but funky design )
comment:This lens gets a hard time from reviewers and its a shame, because it is one of the must haves for the a-mount used bargain hunter.

Nice sharp images, good colour ( not quiet as good as other Minoltas from the era, but still impressive )

Excellent build quality, not to heavy but substantial, quiet a bit of metal. they dont make them like this any more.

Nice and bright, shame its not an f1.8, but 2.8 opens up some opportunities that no zoom can touch near this price range.

Strangest thing on this lens is the range, 28mm (42mm APS-c ) just seems odd. not sure how to describe it. not wide, but off normal, just does not seem to sit to well. Compose your pictures with some though though and this becomes a somewhat lesser worry.

Overall a great little lens and i really don't know why it gets such a panning , if yiu can pick one up, i recommend you do so!!!
reviewer#9198 date: Jul-1-2011
positive:Very Sharp
Little Distortion
Small Size
comment:This is my go to lens on the A55 and a landscape lens for my A850. On both cameras this lens is quite sharp all the way across the frame. My copy must be excellent as I have seen some less than stellar reviews. In my opinion this lens IS stellar, especially considering the sub $100 price.
reviews found: 129    1 2 3 4 5 >>