Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF A-mount lens reviews

positive:- focal range
- good sharpnes
- good colors

negative:- flare
comment:Good lens for relatively good price.
Focal range is good for me: 15mm (16 in EXIF!) is wide enough and 30mm is almost normal on APS-C. Good sharpness and colors (but contrast could be a little better).
The only negative thing is ugly flare when sun is in front of camera.
reviewer#10748 date: Dec-3-2012
compared to:-Minolta 28mm 2.8
-Tamron 28-75 2.8
price paid:around 250€ (used)
positive:-Nice metal build
-Quite sharp (stopped down)
negative:-Flare
comment:Nice, hefty lens on a full frame. Balance might suffer on a smaller cameras. Good build. Looks great. Sharp for a zoom. And they are quite cheap, if you can find one.

Make sure there are no light sources in front of you when taking a picture with this lens. It´s going to flare.

Distortion isn´t so bad.

Excellent value for money.
reviewer#9802 date: Jan-17-2012
compared to:Sigma 18-50 EX DC
Sigma 17-35 EX DG
positive:Very sharp, even at max aperture
Mimolta colours (almost)
Well built but not heavy
Full frame
Unusable with on-camera flash
Rare (in A-mount)
Size - enormous!!!
comment:Excelent sharpness across the focal length range and at all apertures to f16 (Not tested above f16). Much sharper than the two above lenses at larger apertures.

Superb colours.

Dwarfs the Alpha 33 but looks much more comfortable on A550.

Exif reports 16mm at widest setting. (on Alpha 550 & 33)

Recommended in spite of limited focal length range
reviewer#8776 date: Mar-11-2011
distance finder
good color
distortion control
good build
negative:flare, they all have it
gel filters
comment: This lens is quite sharp stopped down but responds well to manual focusing when the corners matter. I could make a negative comment about the filter/cap combination but this lens was very well thought out. It is true that using a circular polarizer on the filter adapter will cause vignetting on the widest zoom range for this lens, but one can't effectively use a polarizer on ranges wider than 24mm without having gradated polarization across the field of view. The vignetting is gone in this range. Fortunately gel filters are still available and I enjoy preparing them. I like the color and the build, this lens handily outperforms my 17-35 KM and nearly matches my 18mm prime. Very good wide lens.
reviewer#8596 date: Jan-30-2011
compared to:T17-50 2.8
Samyang 14mm 2.8
T28-75 2.8
price paid:280 €
positive:+ very sharp
+ great build
+ cheap if you can find one
+ great for architecture
negative:- at its widest "only" 16mm
- flare is awful
- hard to find
comment:A superb lens, if you avoid direct light coming in. Flare is a big problem. Very, very sharp. Built like a tank (my first Sigma ex).

On both my a700 and a900 at its widest exif reports 16mm, not 15mm, which is a big difference at this level.

Guess there are not so many around, but the price of the used ones is great compared to the 12-24 which is available at this stage.
reviewer#8495 date: Jan-8-2011
compared to:Sony/ Minolta 18-70
Tokina 20-35 f3.5-4.5
Sigma 21-35
price paid:200 (GBP mint)
Superb colour
Control of Distortion
negative:Need to manage flare
Filters?
comment:Super lens on APSC

Full frame yet to be tested
reviewer#8096 date: Oct-15-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
positive:Wide, very wide and nice contruction
negative:is impossible to take a photo backlight
Makes about horrible blue spots
comment:taking pictures of landscapes for construction companies have taken good shots
The 15 mm bullet is visible but is fixed in photoshop
good sharpen in the center but soft at the ends
Excellent building except at the end of the lens as the glass is very exposed
It is impossible to take a picture with the sun in front of my photographic career 20 years had never seen an aberration so
Recommended for architecture and landscape with the sun behind
reviewer#6438 date: Nov-23-2009
Excellent Sigma EX build
negative:Corner Softness
Filter size - 82mm
Slightly prone to flare
comment:Initial Review 23Nov2009:

Having recently bought this lens from another Dyxumer, Frankieg (THX Frankie!!!), it is my first truly wide-angle lens on digital. So far i really, really like it and am very pleased with the images this lens gives.

The Sigma 15-30mm exhibits superb colors - very close in rendition to my Minolta lenses - my "Standard of Excellence" measure. I've taken a number of outdoor photos with the 15-30mm in differing lighting conditions and even without a UV/CPL/ND Grad filter, i've been able to get nice blue sky's - despite some very hazy conditions.

I was expecting more barrel distortion given it's 15mm aspect (22.5mm on APS-C format) and was pleasantly surprised with the reasonably low distortion. So far it's very workable for me.

I am a little disappointed with the less-than-excellent corner sharpness. It is thankfully only a mild distraction and not always apparent. I believe when i can regularly get the best from what the lens offers - excellent center sharpness - the short coming of this small segment will dissipate to nothingness. The lens gives very nice images when used properly, but i need to learn more how to work within the lenses strengths instead of crying about it's weaknesses.

The lens is quite fast focusing and fairly quiet despite it's screw-drive focus mechanism. Though a lens' noise signature bears little meaning for me it is noted here for others to consider. The manual focus feels a little "gritty", but is well dampened.

Overall, the Sigma EX build is excellent!!! I am very pleased with how solid the lens feels without the significant heft of an all-metal construction. The physical handling properties are about perfect for my use. I like it's large-ish size because it makes handling the camera easier. As a side note, the INCLUDED lens case is magnificient!!! It is easily a $20-40 value in itself - way to go Sigma!!!!

The lens filter size could maybe have been a bit more "reasonably sized" than 82mm which is HUGE!!! It is as big around as my coffee mug. I am waiting on some ND gels to try with the back-element "filter" slot to counter this deficit.

Additionally, i am OK with not having a dedicated UV filter screwed on the front of the lens for protection sake. The permanent "petal-style" lens hood is OK for protection from damage (useless against flare). I keep the "lens cap" assembly attached at all times and cap the lens when not in actual use. I don't worry about damaging the bulging front element b/c it's deeply recessed into the lens-hood assembly and therefore well protected.

As i alluded to, the lens can flare a bit, but it's to be expected with such a wide aspect. I use my hand (or something similar) to minimize this, but it is a minor inconvenience.

These criticisms notwithstanding, overall, i am ecstatic about this lens! Despite the criticisms i've noted the lens is a great performer so far and i'm excited about learning how to extract the very best it has to offer. Furthermore, when i migrate to FF i'm even more convinced this lens is going to be a stellar performer!!!

As mentioned by an earlier 15-30mm Reviewer, i have this lens paired with the Minolta Maxxum 28-135mm and Maxxum 70-210mm f4 "Beercan". With this set-up, i'm well-equiped for everything i need. OK, maybe a 80-200mm f2.8 HS G would be nice too!
reviewer#6433 date: Nov-23-2009
price paid:199.00
positive:I have used this lens on my Sony A850.
Wat stands out for me is the contrast and color this lens reproduces.
Sharpness is good
negative:Flare
comment:I like this lens I wish it was 2.8 though.

It does want to flare, need to be careful which way you are shooting.
Overall I am pleased with it.
reviewer#5921 date: Aug-27-2009
compared to:Tokina 19/35mm F3.5-4.5
Soligor 19-35mm f3.5-4.5
G lens - 2870G , 80200G, 85mmG
price paid:$430USD (new)
positive:- Sharp Sharp Sharp !
- Nice holding capability
- Good useful range 15-30mm **see comments**

negative:- 82mm cir pol expensive
comment:I searched high and low for a sony mount version of the Sigma 15-30mm. I finally found a new set at a local shop. Bought it and headed home. After going through the few tests shots , WOW !! i felt obliged to share with you guys i felt after using this lens.

I'm always using the Soligor 19-35mm F3.5-4.5, Mind you , the soligor is another sleeper !! extremely rare, cheap, lightweight and FREAKING SHARP corner to corner. Wide open i would rate it as excellent at most photog situations - even on full frame A900.

However, its a pity that on cropped sensors, the 19-35mm falls shorts of expectation in terms of useful focal range especially if you're looking for full frame 16 to 20mm focal length equivalent.

Sigma 12-24mm is the widest full frame avaliable in the market however the price is way steep (around 850-900USD). On the cropped body, you probably can do streets photography / people shots but on full frame - 24mm is way too wide. You will end up changing the mid zoom lens very often.

Sigma 15-30mm offers a much better focal range from wide zoom to mid zoom. (22.5mm to 45mm) In fact, i think this range is even more versatile than having a 10-20mm or 12-24mm which is too short should you wish to do street photography closes up etc .

Moreover, Sigma 15-30mm has good colours, excellent contrast and it' VERY Sharp. I wasn't expecting this level of sharpness when i bought it as its designed as a super-wide zoom fullframe but this lens amazes me in every ways.

Pair this lens with the minolta 28-135mm , you'll be excellently equipped to roam the world.
reviewer#5672 date: Jul-8-2009
compared to:Sigma 10-20, Sigma - 17-35 F2.8-4 EX DG Aspherical, Sigma 18/3,5
price paid:about 300
positive:As wide with FF as Sigma 10-20 with APS-C , pretty sharp, not so heavy
negative:Gelatin filters, first element
comment:Bought that lens via ebay, got pretty fine one. I wanted something like Siggy 10-20 with A700. This is absolutely sharper. At 8 it is sharp from corner to corner.
reviewer#4795 date: Feb-3-2009
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
positive:Wide ... very wide...!
negative:Flare
comment:I bought this lens in my film days, the amazingly wide field of view at the 15mm gives you great landscape shots.
When getting close to your subject the distortion becomes noticable, but for landscape stuff it's a great zoom.
On APS-C sensor you loose part of the wideness, on the A900 it's back fullblown again.
Flare control is sometimes hard in sunny conditions, the hood is certainly not big enough for all conditions.

I'm using it more at the 15mm end than at the 30mm end, but the option to zoom is certainly worthwile. Sometimes you just need to get a bit closer.
reviewer#4508 date: Dec-9-2008
compared to:17-35mm MinO, 11-18mm Tamron
positive:Sharpness, range, build quality (!), weight, hood, flare control (for what it is)
negative:15-18mm distortion, filter issues, BULGING front element
comment:Excellent WA for the A900. Nothing matches it in the price range. Distortion is easily corrected in PP and isn't really that bad. Stopped down to f/6.7 or so this thing is SHARP and has no CA or falloff.

HUGE with cap/filter ring on, but very light. Perfect build quality IMO.

Get it!
reviewer#4462 date: Dec-2-2008
compared to:Minolta 17-35mm D
Sigma 10-20mm
price paid:285 USD used
positive:Sharp lens compared to Sigma 10-20mm and Minolta 17-35D. Surprisingly flare control as good as 10-20mm. Low distortion for it's range
negative:Huge FF lens compared to the Sigma 10-20 and the Minolta 17-35. No provision for front filter. Slightly more vignetting on full frame than Sigma 10-20 on APS C.
comment:I bought this lens for use on my a900. I had been using the Sigma 10-20 on an a700 for real estate photography. That will continue to be my main use for this lens. After a few test shots indoors this lens is a clear winner over the Minolta 17-35D and the sigma 10-20. While I'm sure the resolution improvement on the a900 helps a bit, the difference is dramatic without much pixel peeking. This would be a hard lens to use outdoors unless your back was to the sun. For my indoor use the huge bulging front element doesn't seem such a big drawback. There is a noticeable vignetting on this lens but I have noticed some on every lens on this camera (a900) so for. A very solid build. A great lens for the used price I paid. If you have an A900 and are looking for a very wide angle this lens is as much fun as the Sigma 10-20mm was on any APS c camera and it is sharper to boot. I wasn't sure this lens would out resolve the Minolta but to my eye it does.
reviewer#4418 date: Nov-21-2008
compared to:Tokina AT-X 235 AF PRO 20-35 F2.8
price paid:Ł135 (used)
positive:Build quality
Sharpness
CA handling
negative:Heavy vignetting, when wide open
comment:I have used this lens on film, A100 and A900. The lens vignettes heavily when wide open. From f/5.6 onwards, however, the lens is excellent. Sharpness and flare control are surprisingly good. Considering the low cost of this lens (used), I would recommend it for as long as you don't need to shoot wide open.
reviewer#3379 date: Mar-20-2008
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
positive:Nice wide angle on APS-C sensors. Can be used on a full frame camera.
negative:Not terribly sharp at any point in the zoom range, especially wide open. It's generally well regarded in terms of sharpness so maybe I got a less then stellar copy. Lots of CA. A little heavy too.
comment:Bought it from KEH, used it for the summer and took some of my favorite pictures with it. Sold it when I bought the Zeiss 16-80 since most of it's range was covered better.
reviewer#3365 date: Mar-16-2008
compared to:Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG, Sigma 17-35/2.8-4 EX
price paid:250 USD (ebay)
positive:+Plenty wide on APS-C
+Good build, metal, sturdy
+Non-rotating focus ring
negative:-AF a little slow
-Lens blocks pop-up flash
-Flare control
-Vignettes! On APS-C!
comment:I picked up this lens for a wide-angle for my DSLR, a KM 7D. I was using the Sigma 17-35/2.8-4 but would have liked something a little wider, and wasn't entirely satisfied with its sharpness. I found the Sigma 15-30 and it certainly is a worthy replacement over the 17-35 (even though it is slower). Sharpness is excellent wide open at all ranges, which I like a lot, far more than the 17-35 is. However it also suffers a fair bit from flare, so you have to be careful with lighting and wireless flash.

Build is excellent, very sturdy and solid. The lens isn't too heavy or big for me (I use a Sigma 24-70/2.8 as my primary lens, so I'm used to this). AF speed is a little slow, but almost everything is in focus most of the time anyway. I use this lens for indoors photography very successfully.

Now the strange part about this lens is that it Vignettes on crop cameras! It's very slight at 15mm, but if you put a filter (i.e. polarizer) on the front attachment, so much vignetting! I can't imagine how bad it is on full frame.
reviewer#3112 date: Dec-26-2007
+great build
+beautiful lens
+excellent sharpness
+comes with nice case
+feels like a quality pro lens in your hand
negative:-dual focus control can be annoying for some, not me
-filters are expensive at 82mm
-relatively large, not heavy though
-focus speed not impressive, but it didnt need to be. its accurate.
comment:Only used fairly briefly on a trip to Iceland... but I can make some analysis from when it has been used that others may hopefully find helpful.

I hyperfocalated at f/8 most of the time. ISO 400 in 85% of photos. All were tack sharp, corner to corner, very high resolution lens, as it says in the reviews found on photozone.com. Contrast was always good. Colour never questioned. Build is REALLY nice, I've kind of been sucked into the EX build. You can get a relatively cheap lens that looks pro and feels pro and TAKES PRO quality pictures (if you can use it ;-) - its terrific!

The weight wasnt a problem, but the size sometimes was when travelling. Though this wouldnt be a problem if i had it on the dynax 7 film camera, with the nicer grip. More managable with a VC camera or camera with a larger grip i would imagine, but thats only when you are carrying it in your hand for long periods of time.

I used it at my christmas ball also. It was in a dimmly lit room and so i had to rely on the AF of the sigma&A100 combination. It proved very reliable. Non were out of focus, unlike the results from the 50/1.7. Always locked on focus. Its a (D) lens so that helped with flash results of course.

One issue when I was in Iceland was keeping the front element clean. Of water/rain that was, as it was constantly overcast. Not heavy rain, but little blobs of rain can easily form on the front element as i didnt have a filter at the time. This would also cause the lens to flare, to differing degrees. But if the front element was clean the flare would be VERY minimal and nicely controlled. If you have a filter for this lens its much more practical.

Its FULL FRAME!!! If you have this lens on FF its incredible, as ive put it on my film camera. Just for how wide it gets really! Im selling mine now, but hopefully i will get the chance to take some photos on FF before it goes :). Selling because I want something really LONG (!) rather than wide ;-).

Oh almost forgot, distortion! I never noticed any; thats in practical use, not through these time wasting lab results of close up charts (!). I took over 300 raw files in iceland. Probably over 200 with this lens, distortion never smacked me in the face and i did a lot of landscape photography, some architecture. Nothing to be seen. You should only consider distortion issues from a practical POV of course, as i dont expect many of us are going to frame a photo of a gridded lab sheet on our wall!

Anyone wanting to get wider shuold consider this option IMHO, its a quality build, high res, sharp&contrasty lens. I will be sad to see it go :(. Furthermore, its hard to come by in Sony mount, currently atleast, but hopefully i can re-locate one at a later date maybe :).
reviewer#2317 date: May-15-2007
compared to:18-70
24-105 D
Tokina 12-24 (Canon mount)
positive:Full frame
Interresting range
Sharpness
negative:Heavy

comment:I have this lens since one month and I am very happy with it. The range is very interresting on APS-C; 15mm (22.5mm on full frame equivalent) is wide enough for my need and at 30mm (45mmon full frame) it is almost the normal focal lenght. It is a very good wide angle but also a nice walkaround lens.
On a full frame camera it will become a super wide angle.

The only issue for me is the size of the lens.

I would recommand this lens without any hesitations.
reviewer#2226 date: Apr-29-2007
compared to:Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5
price paid:650 $CA (New)
positive:Much sharper than the Tokina.
Build is also much better (all metal).
Focus ring does not rotate while focussing (nice clutch design).
negative:Heavy and bulky.
Front element is scratch prone.
Cannot use a polarizer without vignetting.
comment:Despite it's flaws, this is one lens I'm going to keep for a long time. It is very pleasing to use and the results are amazing when shooting with the sun in my back. Distortion control is very good, colors are nice and it is very sharp for a wide angle. A keeper!
reviewer#1625 date: Jan-9-2007
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
positive:I Like the zoom-range, very good build&image quality.
No problems with flare so far.
comment:
reviewer#1299 date: Oct-11-2006
positive:very sharp
great build quality
good colors
D lens: good for weddings etc
negative:bulky (but not heavy)
comment:
reviewer#876 date: Jun-5-2006
compared to:Sigma 12-24mm
positive:Well built, Sharpnes and color are OK, Zoomrange, Price
negative:In some situations outdoor you get a problem with flares.
comment:I like this lense for it's zoomrange. Outdoor I have to be carefully - beware of the flares.
Indoor this lense is wonderful, specially in churches.
Alternative: Sigma 12-24
reviewer#647 date: Mar-30-2006
compared to:KM 11-18
positive:Cheap, nice and sharp
negative:not very well build, and large filter (Expensive)
comment:Bought this cheap (2nd hand) of course, so can't complaint.

I love this lens and due to focal length conversion on dslr, this fit in nicely.

Use it mainly for everything... but this lens is not that well build and decided to quit on me when I was travelling.

The focussing just gone without any reason. After getting it fix (after 5 weeks!!!!) and realise that the focusing rail just snapped off because it is PLASTIC!!

having said that, I am quite happy with the result and the focal lens is nice when use with Digital. 22.5mm to 45mm.

reviewer#590 date: Mar-17-2006
compared to:18-70mm lens kit, Sigma 24mm f:2.8
price paid:US$ 300 (2nd hand)
positive:- Sharp wide-open principally at the wide end
- Lightweight,
- Fast AF
- Well-built even when you take into account that this lens is 90% plastic
- Provides 15mm FF coverage
negative:- Very big and bulky!
- Perceivable CA throughout the entire range, both on film and digital
- The protruded element is not protected and gets dirt and dust very easily
- When used in JPG sometimes produces "plastic", artificial images
comment:I've got this lens at a steal price - my copy costed US$ 300.00 and I've got it mint state, with box and both caps. My initial tests show it as a sharp lens even when wide open throughout all the lens' range. It's slower (0,5-1,5 stop) than my Sigma 24mm prime, but in wide-angle photography this is seldom an issue.

Differently than its older prime, the AF on the 15-30 is very fast; and although this is no macro lens, I've got to make close shots in the 20cm - 30cm range. Finally - as expected for a ASP EX lens - in normal lighting conditions the colors are vivid and very well rendered.

Now for the issues. The manual says explicitly that you can't use a filter with this lens; however, the manufacturer provided a support for attaching lens caps which does have a screw mount and this does not cause problems when used with digital. However, this protector does produce vignetting when used with a film camera. If you take it away, voilá: you've got a 15mm lens with FF coverage (but watch out for dirt and damages on the protruded element of the lens).

There is distortion at the wide end, and it's particularly noticeable when you use it in a film camera. In digital it's better, but not better than Sigma's 24mm.

The adapter provided for the lens cap does permit attachment of 82mm filters to the camera. And as expected, at the wide end they do cause vignetting on the edges. This is a shame, as one of the main uses of a WA lens is get sea sky shots, which often need a CPL filter. Even with a B+W CPL slim there is vignetting at the wide end.

Be careful pointing this lens to the sun. In these situations flare is unavoidable and will cause blue spots on your pictures. The embeeded lens shade is useless in these situations, and then you'll have to change your shooting angle. Strangely, flare was more an issue with the digital domain than with film.

Finally, the protruded element plus the impossibility to use normal filters without vignetting your images make imperative that you cap it while you aren't shooting. Otherwise, you'll have to be real careful when cleaning the front elemtent of the lens. I have no easy access to thin filters here, so if you have experience of using such filters on this lens please report.

Overall a good - but not great - lens. It finally fills the gap I had in wide-angle digital, but I still prefer the Sigma 24mm f:2.8.
reviewer#454 date: Jan-30-2006
compared to:Kit 18-70
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Minolta 28-135 f4-4.5
positive:Fairly wide to almost standard tele range.
good color and contrast.
Price - $300 from Cameta on Ebay
negative:No or not ideal filter usage due to buldging front element.
comment:Rating notes -
I have yet to have a problem with flare but I have only taken this lens on one outdoor trip with the sun out. On that day I was mostly in shaded areas or city streets where there was little direct sunlight. Indoors I have had no issues so far with roughly 300 pictures. So, flare may be a bigger issue than the "5" I gave it if used more in daylight conditions...time will tell.

Also, the distortion rating of "3" may be a little harsh but I have no other wide/super-wide lenses to compare it to except the kit lens, which has been sold. So, the current rating of "3" is really compared to the 28-75 and 28-135, not other wide angle lenses. Distortion at the wide end really isn't that bad IMO but it is certainly more noticable than the mid-range zooms that I am comparing it too. From what I remember the distortion doesn't seem any worse than the kit 18-70.

I've used this lens at a couple indoor car shows where lighting is somewhat dim with good results. I've been able to get sharp images from pretty well any aperture usually shooting from 5.6-8. With the AS of the 5D and the short focal length I often shoot as low as 1/8" with very good results. I also took it out walking one afternoon and was very pleased with the results and zoom range for city street shooting buildings and scenes but a little too wide for most people, candid shots.

This lens is fairly large but light for it's size. 82mm filters if you decide to try some and the pedal shade is built in non-removable so the lens is fairly long and cannot be shortened for storage. The manual focus ring is a nice wide ring at the front that can be engaged or disengaged and MF seems fairly smooth but not seamless. The finish on this Sigma is also very nice IMO, looks good and feels good.

****update 3/12/06****

I have been using this lens more and more lately. It's very sharp in most situations and is wonderfull inside for interior shots of all types. With the short focal length and AS I almost never get a blurry shot from this lens. two thumbs up so far!
reviewer#87 date: Jul-9-2005
compared to:none
positive:Light and sharp
negative:flare is a problem in some situation.
Large filter size
comment:I bought this lens from a friend and this lens has given me a lot of joy using it.

Because of AS and wide angle, it can be handheld at very low shutter speed.

The sharpness of the lens is great, colour slightly saturated compare to most minolta lenses I have, but not too bad.

Some of the image shoot by this lens can be viewed at http://www.pbase.com/hartanto_tan/panoramic

95% of shots was handheld.
reviewer#53 date: Feb-18-2005
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
positive:A sharp lens, well build and has a slightly wide end of 22.5 - 45mm with 7D, compare to a 17-35 which is 25.5 - 52.5mm
negative:Distortion at both zoom range end and prone to flare if not be careful
comment:I'm very with this lens, it is my walk-around lens now!

IMO, best compliment it with a 24-xx lens.