Minolta AF 35mm F1.4 A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#11472 date: Nov-11-2013
compared to:Minolta AF 20 f2.8, 24 f2.8, 28 f2, 50 f1.7/1.4
price paid:505 Euros (Boxed)
positive:Solid build, amazing colors and AF speed. Super thin DOF giving 3D like effects.
negative:none
comment:Amazing walk around lens. despite being a prime, it is a great lens for street photography. the colors it gives are flawless, the 3D rendering is unique. the Bokeh is special. as a conclusion, a dream lens.
reviewer#11102 date: May-10-2013
positive:Colour
Rendering
Fast
negative:Softness wide open
comment:On FF this lens is great, the focal length means it excels at full length portraits or of subjects around the size of 2 or 3 human beings. There is softness at 1.4 in my copy, commonly people say the f2 is sharper. However at f2 this lens is very sharp and if you use it in the right circumstances you get great results at 1.4. There's vignetting and some fringing with the old coatings, but easily taken out in PP. If I were rating out of 10 overall I'd give 10, it's just the ratings here on Dyxum that dictate I can't give 5 out of 5 for flare etc.

Can't over emphasise how nice the images are off this gem.
reviewer#9674 date: Dec-6-2011
compared to:28/2.8
50/1.7
85/1.4
positive:Gorgeous colors, rock-solid build, excellent resolution. Bokeh to die for.
negative:Narrow focus ring (like all the early-generation Minolta AF lenses). Has noticeable curvature of field.
comment:Despite the short focal length, this really shines as a portrait lens. It pairs beautifully with the Minolta 85/1.4; the two give similar "looks", despite the obvious difference in focal lengths.

One rather odd point: though flare is generally very well controlled, it can actually increase as you stop down the lens, so you can get a picture with noticeable flare, even though there was no hint of it in the viewfinder (at least without using DoF preview).
reviewer#9475 date: Oct-6-2011
Color
F1.4
Hand built!
negative:Not a thing
comment: I am amazed by this lens. It has color and bokeh like no other. It has the ability to resolve color and shadow that is amazing. If you can't get a very sharp picture with this lens from F2 send it for repair. I compose pictures differently because of the 35 1.4. The weird thing about it is the blades on my copy are curved and circular to about F8 (oops, more like F5.6-8). I couldn't imagine trying to get a well focused picture without the A900's class leading viewfinder. I guess the RS are circular beyond that aperture. The build is wonderful and these baby's were made by hand. Well worth the price.
reviewer#9443 date: Sep-24-2011
Sharp-sharp @ f/2, even sharper beyond
A must-have Holy Grail lens
Rare craftsmanship
negative:Difficult to find
Commands high price/ also value
comment:A lens that requires a bit of mastery. Sharpness is present wide-open, but is more useful beyond f/2 and absolutely spectacular after f/4. This comment concerns technique relative to shallow depth of field and the lens' unique characteristics. I am totally impressed with the color and across the frame sharpness of this lens. The superb 3D-like images could only come from a lens of this caliber. "Blown away" is my sense of its images. This original version AF 35G came in minty condition, sold to me as like-new. The AF 35 1.4 G (old), along with the Minolta 85 G D, form the ideal two basic primes for my type of photography. This review is based on its full-frame performance when stacked up against other faster lenses that I use. If you can acquire one, I highly recommend it, especially for FF.
Update: I find that the 35mm G is a great companion lens for the CZ 24 f/2 Distagon T* on interior and exterior architectural shots. I love the distinct contrasts using the 35 while the Distagon seems to have a certain "pop" to the color tones. Each has 3D qualities of its own.
reviewer#7087 date: Mar-14-2010
compared to:CZ85
CZ135
Minolta 50mm 1.7
price paid:L468 (used)
positive:- bokeh
- colours
- ability to use without flash
negative:- hood feels cheap
comment:Gave this lens a test run today using it for some candid portraits. The standout aspect was the quality of the bokeh - it has an almost etherial quality to it which is difficult to describe. The main subject though is terrificaly sharp and gives the whole shot an almost 3D quality.

The lens is very well built and of metal construction and this combined with the image qualiy shows why this lens is classified as a G. My only negative comment is that while the hood is of very good quality plastic it seems a bit cheap in compared to the rest of the construction (although here I could be spoiled by my Zeiss primes and their metal hoods).

I notice that this is the first A900/A850 review of this version of the lens. I had thought about getting a 35mm 1.4 for a while but had always been put off by the prices - this one was (in my opinion) a bargain and I would recommend it to any other A900/A850 as a classic must have lens.
reviewer#5503 date: Jun-5-2009
compared to:KM 28-75D 2.8

Min 85 1.4 Ori.

Min 50 1.7 Ori.
price paid:540Eur Used
positive:-Smooth Bokeh
-Overall Contrast
-Hard to explain on the sharpness
negative:-Price (see comments)
-Relatively slow AF on D7D
-Small focusing ring
-ALL of its qualities makes it an above excellent portrait glass, but little else.
comment:I never tested the lens prior to using it directly on a small assignment of taking some baby portraits of a friend of mine (almost a month after i got it), so i'm pretty certain that i'm over the "my new shining piece of gear" syndrome.

The first time i saw the results, i was astonished. The pictures were not TACK sharp, BUT it has some strange, almost dreamy quality to it, my friend asked me whether i was using some kind of softening on photoshop. Again, it is by no means unsharp, but has that very hard to explain quality of softness which give every single portrait some unspoken quality.

The Bokeh is as smooth as i ever see. Perhaps not as good as the 100 2.8 Macro, or the STF, but definitely FAR surpassing the beercan, the 50 1.7, and the 28-75 in smoothness.

The overall contrast, on more than one occasion, friends who saw the pics commented on the contrast between subjects, giving it almost a 3D effect (combined with the shallow DoF). I do use a +2 contrast setting on my camera, but i use it for ALL of my glasses, so the difference is fair to say, objective.

The colour, the saturation and the colour rendition is outstanding. FAR exceeding all my other glasses except for the 85.

the AF is a bit slow. Its a tad bit slower than the 50 1.7, and also a tad bit louder. No problem for portraits, but pose challanges for candids. tend to hunt sometimes in low lights.

The price, yes, this thing is expensive. BEWARE, only invest in this thing IF you are certain you are going to delve deeper into portraiture photography, for that is the natural habitat of this glass. IF so, it'll worth every penny, and i wish you success and happiness with it.
reviewer#4012 date: Aug-28-2008
compared to:minolta 50/1.7
price paid:450 GBP (ebay)
positive:Build
negative:Bulky
small focusring
overpriced
overrated
comment:I feel like I’m committing a crime for not giving it a 5 on sharpness, but the lens ability on 1.4 just isn’t that great, although it is stopped down to 3.5.

This lens has a reputation of having a great bokeh. I never noticed that! The lens is great stopped down, but what is the point of having a 1.4 if you can't use it wide open.

I had it for a while but decided to sell it in favour of the 50/1.7, that can do almost the same thing as the 35 for the fraction of the price.
reviewer#3415 date: Mar-31-2008
price paid: €550 mint on ebay
positive:sharp
well built.
f1,4
bokeh
negative:noisy AF gears
long for such a short FL
comment:In indoor low light situations this lens is fantastic. "But you didn't use a flash?!!" is quite a common comment.
reviewer#3400 date: Mar-25-2008
compared to:28/2
positive:BOKEH!
negative:Cost
comment:What else is there to say? An impressive portrait lens on APS that delivers unequalled bokeh. Not sure what I'll use it for on FF, but I'm sure it'll be fun.

I gave it a slight hit on sharpness, because the 35/2 and 28/2 are probably sharper. But the smoothness of the tonality is unbeatable.

I got mine for a steal, but wouldn't hesitate to buy the new Sony model if I had to. It's got some updates which make it as good or better.
reviewer#2732 date: Sep-15-2007
compared to:Minolta 35mm f/2
price paid:440 GBP (used)
positive:good bokeh, superb colour, excellent preservation of shadow details
negative:the manual focus ring
comment:This lens is the one I used most of the time. I mainly use prime, and I hardly took this lens away from my camera. This is a lens that a Minolta user must have in life time. A few reasons:
1. Superb bokeh (considering this is a 35mm not a 85mm; the bokeh is very very impressive)
2. Very good colour rendition (just see the blue sky!)
3. This lens have excellent ability to preserve shadow details (something that the 35/2 cannot compete). Photos taken with 35/2 probably would look more contrasty, but when shadow details count, 35/1.4 is far ahead.
4. Compared with the Minolta 35/2, 35/1.4 is kind of heavy. Both are difficult to find in the secondhand market, but I was lucky enough to have them in different periods of time. Anyhow, 35/1.4 definitely worth any penny.
5. Sources said that one critical element of the original version was made by hand (rather than moulding). So, there is a unique feeling on every original version lens.

Well, the manual focus ring is quite painful to use (as other original version lens). But that is not the major point.

In sum, I think the Minolta 35mm f/1.4 is a legendary lens. A must have if one has the chance.
reviewer#2677 date: Aug-31-2007
compared to:Min 20 f2.8 RS, Min 50 f1.7, KM 28-75 f2.8, ...
price paid:500 €, mint
positive:Sharpness, colours/tonal gradation, bokeh
negative:Smallish manual focus ring as in all old Minolta lenses
comment:The best lens I own for general photography. Macro lenses such as the Min 50 f2.8 or 100 f2.8 have stronger local contrast but - by the same token - this lens is great in rendering subtle tonal and colour differences. Very natural, with the right WB one feels right in the scene. Sharpness is very good from f/2 (!), but still gains to f/2.8 or so. Very usable right at f/1.4, minor local contrast and sharpening tweaks in PP easily take care of the remaining softness. Very good bokeh. A serious piece of glass in terms of weight and build. Focus is not the fastest but only limited by the body's AF intelligence (or my own MF capabilities).

A lens that generates affection.
reviewer#2549 date: Jul-15-2007
compared to:Konica-Minolta 2.8/28-75 (D)
price paid:290 EUR (used)
positive:Sharpness, bokeh, build quality, f/1.4
negative:Focus ring too slim
comment:I got this lens at bargain price in very good condition. Up to now the only minor issue I found with this lens is that one has to get used to the slim focus ring. Apart from that, there is really nothing to complain about, this lens is the best one I have. I would also have paid more!
reviewer#1953 date: Mar-12-2007
compared to:Sony50/1.4
KM24/2.8
KM28-135, 24-105, 17-35G
price paid:$575
positive:Bokeh, Sharpness, Color, Clarity, build quality.
negative:Can be a bit noisy when focusing.
comment:This lens is my favorite. I've read on the forums how it can disappoint if not used correctly, but I have to disagree. I find that I use it more and more. I've started using it for portraits and landscapes now. It has what I can only descibe as amazing clarity. Not just sharpness, though it is extremely sharp, and not just true color reproduction, but a light transfusion that seems clearer, purer than any of the other lenses I've tried. I have it matched with a CZ135, and while the 135 is sharper and an amazing lens in itself, it, like all of the others still doesn't match the special quality of this lens. Oh, and the bokeh is phenomenal.
reviewer#1910 date: Mar-3-2007
compared to:20/2.8, 85/1.4, 100/2
positive:Build, bokeh, sharpness, color
negative:MF-focus is tiny.
comment:This is just a fantastic lens!
Little soft @1.4, with shallow DOF and a bokeh to fall in love with!
I like the build of this old minolta lenses, I like the size and weight!

reviewer#1220 date: Sep-23-2006
Perfect sharpness
Incredible bokeh
Rare, rare lens
Internal focusing
Very short minimal focus distance
negative:Manual focus is a pain
Very dificult to use at f1.4 because of narrow DOF
Heavy and very long
comment:What I can say about it. I received this lens in the wrong moment, I am still a novice and I cannot obtain of this lens all that a more experienced photographer can do.

The first photo I took nearly made me to keep it, but I prefer to take an 85/1.4 original first

In long distance focus pics, it is not so impressive, very similar to 17-35 f2.8-4 at f8, maybe the APS sensor is too reduced for this lens. But at f4 it blows out the zoom
reviewer#800 date: May-16-2006
compared to:- 35/2 original
price paid:340 usd
positive:- bokeh, bokeh, bokeh!
- sharp
- usable at f1.4
- decent MF
- built like a tank
negative:- average AF speed
- bulkier than the 35/2
comment:I feel a little better reviewing this lens after trying out the 35/2 for a while. I can honestly say that the two are very different lenses. The 35/2 has more contrast straight out of the camera. My research has suggested that this is characteristic of G-lenses, where they preserving subtlties in colour and tone that might be lost in higher contrast (and thus sometimes even sharper-looking) images from similar lenses. The 35/2 is a fantastic lens, but it is not up to the calibre of the 35/1.4. I did some bokeh tests and although the differences didn't seem to be huge, they were there. The 35/1.4 produces the best bokeh of any wide angle lens I have ever seen, bar none. The 35/2 is quite pleasing and certainly for the price and size of that little lens, it is hard not to recommend it.

In one forum thread I discussed with another member who owned both 35mm lenses as well. He said they served different purposes, and that he was glad to have them both. I finally understand where he was coming from!

Just a few comments on what others have said about the 35/1.4 in the past. First, that because we have Anti-Shake, the extra stop of the f1.4 versus the f2.0 doesn't matter. This just isn't true! The 35/1.4 takes as much advantage of the AS as any other lens! Imagine being able to take photos in half as much light as you do at f2.0! This is a fantastic wide / low light combo. Secondly, the size / weight. I don't mind it too, too much, but I'm told that 35/1.4 offerings from Can*n and Nik*n are much, much bigger. It's a G lens and an f1.4! All things considered, it's a good size, and a fine match for the 7D.

The metal build seems almost invincible. My lens, purchased used, has seen some serious use (and taken a hit or two it seems) but it none the worse for wear, other than a slighly stiff focus ring which I am sure could be easily fixed. It should last you as many camera bodies as you can throw at it.

Highly recommended lens. Feel free to email me with questions or for samples.
reviewer#720 date: Apr-26-2006
positive:Very fast and useful even at F1.4, good weight and size (55mm filter thread) for a G-series lens. Stop down to F2.8, and you have a perfect picture....
negative:Wide open and on a sunny day, it's hard to control the flare. Stop it down, as you should anyway. Focusing is a bit noisy and average in speed.
comment:I traded in my 28mm F2 lens for this one, and I regret it. Nothing against this lens, but I think the 28 is a slightly better lens (I guess it's my preference for 28mm versus 35mm, which is a subjective opinion). If you need the extra half stop, then go for it. It's a really expensive lens, but I got it used at a bargain, and the shop gave me a really good price on my 28mm F2 (now I know why!!). For shooting group shots, like weddings and family portraits, this lens is perfect, as there's no distortion, unlike the 28mm. Anyone needing a perfectly linear lens should buy this lens, if you can afford it. If not, buy the 35mm F2 and buy another lens..... or two.....
reviewer#316 date: Dec-21-2005
positive:One of my best lenses. Fanastic image quality.
negative:None.
comment:Absolute one hac of a lens.Every picture I take with this makes almost a poster on my wall. Point sharp and extremly accurate in color rep.
reviewer#70 date: Apr-3-2005
positive:Sharp, fast, great color, superb bokeh.
negative:Small focus ring hard to find for manual focus.Price
comment:This lens has leica like qualities . When you look through it you know it is the business . It's great for low light and environmental portraits . Being f1.4 makes it great for manual focus in low light . If I only had one lens this would be it.

Find us on Google+