Sigma 28-135mm F3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF Macro A-mount lens reviews

- Tamron F/3.5-5.6 24-135mm
- Minolta AF F/3.5-4.5 24-105mm
- Minolta AF F/3.5-4.5 28-105mm
price paid:Euro 75
positive:- inexpensive (but rather rare)
- lightweight
- very low level of vignetting
- rather sharp, even wide open
- very usable focal range for full-frame
- usable macro function (at the long end)
- solid build (particularly if compared to the Sigma F/2.8-4.5 24-135mm)
negative:- some CA, but can be easily controlled in PP
comment:I bought this lens for a rather low price - which seems to be usual since it is kind of a step child in Sigma's lens list. IQ-wise it is on par with the Minoltas in its range IMO, although the colors are different - a bit cooler, but I find them very acceptable. It is solidly built - on the level of the Tamron 24-135mm (which is a "SP" lens). I cannot find any flaws, even the CAs are very moderate. All in all: an underrated, but very able lens.
reviewer#11109 date: May-13-2013
compared to:70-400G Sony.
Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 90.
Sigma 17-70 HSM macro.
price paid:70 GBP Second Hand.
positive:Nice build nice balance, nice to use. Sharpness is average.
negative:Suffers serious purple fringing unless stopped down and a little negative compensation applied. Images also look a little hazey, as if taken through fog. But there is no fungus in the lens.
comment:I really was hoping this lens would be my saviour, especially as my Sigma 17-70 performs so well on the A77. But sadly due to the purple fringing and 'foggy', it is just about unusable.
Maybe I am too fussy, but I would rather pay a thousand pounds for a stunning lens, than a few pounds for a poor one. Good value doesn't count in my book. A lens is either good, or poor. Sadly this 28-135 sigma is poor. I couldn't believe the other reviews here were applying to the same lens, so I even double checked that mine was the same lens. Why cant Zeiss do a nice one for us like this - only a few stops faster as well?
reviewer#10747 date: Dec-2-2012
compared to:Sony 18-55 SAM
price paid:52 USD (used mint)
positive:Nice build and look, very nice range, Colors, Macro, Price, CA, hood
negative:Softness, Focus hunting, loudness
comment:Bought this lens to replace the sony DSLR set lens. It's soft even stopped down. Very good CA though! The bokeh is very interesting, but someone might not like it so I can't put it as a positive or negative.

If you are really low on budget and can't afford anything else, take it. Its a nice walkaround lens with really nice build quality. The IQ is nice on APSC as it's a fullframe lens.
reviewer#8611 date: Feb-2-2011
compared to:Minolta 24-105
positive:Good colour
1:2 macro
Versatile zoom range
Sharp enough
negative:Nothing special
comment:The image quality of this lens seems very good as well as the colours. It is versatile excellent lens. Not wide enough for APS-C but meets most needs.
reviewer#8410 date: Dec-16-2010
compared to:Sigma 24-135
price paid:50 GBP (used)
positive:Good sharpness
Excellent colour
Very good build
negative:AF can be slow in poor light
comment:Excellent 'budget' alternative in this range.
reviewer#7439 date: May-18-2010
positive:good sharpness
versatile range
Great macro results
sturdy build
AF is accurate & usually quick

negative:zoom creep
size/weight
AF hunts occasionally
no ADI flash capability - must set flash mode to TTL

comment:I've had this for a long time---originally for a Maxxum. Beautiful results from this lens, esp. on Velvia and Kodachrome slides. I left it on the shelf when I bought my A200, opting for the lenses above. Also had trouble with flash---it must be set to TTL mode.

I put this lens on for the heck of it one day and was very pleased. I rediscovered an old friend! Versatile range, plenty sharp until you get to the end of its focal range, but still useful. Actually compares favorably to my 50mm 1.7 lens. I grab this before my 28-85 for macro work, though the bokeh is not quite as good. Eye-popping colors, though, which I love for shooting flowers.

Here are a few samples. The bright orange ice plant and strawberry leaf were shot with my 28-85 Minolta lens.

I like this much better than the kit lens within that range, but it is a little heavy to walk around with. The lens creep really does suck.

There don't seem to be many of these out there. I agree that this is an undiscovered gem---I feel lucky to have it.
reviewer#7256 date: Apr-7-2010
- Above Average IQ
- Full Frame
- 1:2 Macro
negative:None
comment:I bought this because I was always wishing for my Sony 16-105 to zoom out just a bit more when shooting outdoors. I decided to gamble on this low buck lens and have been overwhelmed by the results. Simply put, dollar for dollar, this is the best lens investment I have made. Knowing what I know now, I would have kept the Sony 18-70 and added this instead of trading up to the $600 Sony 16-105.
reviewer#6299 date: Oct-29-2009
compared to:Minolta 28-105, Minolta 28-135, Minolta 35-105, Minolta 35-200
price paid:au$90 -e Bay
positive:Sharp as my Minolta 28-135 (and that is a legend among lenses) great colour, nil distortion. Well made, quick and reliable focusing. It also has the very real advantage of being a full frame lens, not a "D" lens. I regard this as one of the truly rare "undiscovered gems" that are so seldom found.
negative:The original hood is not good, it needs to be replaced by an retractable rubber lens hood. Once you do that the lens will perform perfectly in all situations. These hoods are readily available (eBay) and inexpensive.
comment:This is my second copy - the first was terrible - purchased from a pawn shop and presumably damaged. . This one is sharp, distortion free and has great colour. It has a good sharp macro with reliable auto-focus. When used with an inexpensive and easily obtainable extension tube this provides brilliant one to one macro images.
reviewer#4270 date: Oct-22-2008
compared to:Sigma UC-III 28-105
Sigma 24-135
positive:Good sharpness, excellent flare control, useful telemacro 1:2
negative:nothing special
comment:I bought this lens new from internet just to compare it with other Sigmas I had, 3,8-5,6/28-105 UC III and 2,8-4,5/24-135. This one is a mix of two mentioned - having diameter of slower one, has the build quality similar to faster, plastics feel very solid, the mount is steel of course. First photos I took with it are really nice, at F8 it produces really sharp pictures, especially in lower focal range. 1:2 macro mode is able to produce really sharp pictures too. Flare control is excellent - I've made many sunset pictures yesterday, positioning sun in the edges of the frame, no flare at all anyway! What a pro in comparison to better known 28-105 UCIII.
reviewer#2435 date: Jun-11-2007
compared to:Sony 18-70mm
Minolta 28-85mm
Minolta 35-70mm
Minolta 35-105mm
Sigma 35-135mm older push pull
price paid:$50 US new
positive:Good build, sharpness and color. A good alternative to the Sony 18-70mm kit lens, a more useful range for me anyway. Better than average macro (1:2). Inexpensive.
negative:Macro switch stiff, but getting a little better. Aperture, you get what you pay for.
comment:Very pleasant surprise, stacks up reasonably well with some of the older (non G) Minolta zooms. Inexpensive, especially compared to the equivalent Minolta "cult" zoom. Sturdier and heavier than other recent Sigmas I've seen. Aperture not very fast, but stays faster considerably longer than the kit lens. Kit f5.6 @ 35mm Sigma @ 85mm. Very nice smooth zoom. Have not had a problem with zoom creep with my sample. Macro has been very useful. Use the hood for flare control.

A lot of lens edge and corner problems fall beyond the edges of an APS-C sensor. The images from this lens look pretty good in those areas on my digital camera. I don't know how it looks on a full frame. Also, as you get to the limits of sensor resolution lens differences tend to minimize.

reviewer#47 date: Jan-27-2005
compared to:Minolta 28-85 f/3.5-4.5
positive:- Decent optical quality
- Versatile zoom range
- Macro function
negative:- Zoom creep
comment:The optical quality is decent for a lens in this price range, especially when stopped down to f/8. Good sharpness can be achieved at all focal length, but distortion is a bit high at both extremes (28 and 135mm). The macro function is very usable, the macro set point is at the telephoto end side of the zoom range and the magnification factor is 1:2. The front lens does not rotate when focusing, pracical when using filters. A drawback can be the 'zoom creep': the zooming is very smooth, so the lens can zoom in or zoom out just by its weight when used under an angle (i.e. a non-horizontal position).