Minolta AF 50mm F1.7 A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 417    << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>
reviewer#3641 date: May-28-2008
compared to:Minolta AF 28mm f/2.8
Minolta AF 135mm f/2.8
price paid:25.00 USD (used)
positive:Tried and true
Nuff Said!!!
negative:This is my second 50mm f/1.7
comment:Just picked up this lens today with the other primes up top. I got these 3 lenses and a Beercan for $125.00. Glad to say I pulled off over 200 pictures with these lenses today and I am very happy. Shot about half in RAW and the other half in JPG, just to see what kind of color and noise I would get. The 28 was good but the 50 and 135 was better. This 50mm was as clean as my first one, which I have had for 20 years. The Beercan was damaged so I didn't get to shoot it today. I will do that tomorrow as I just took it apart and fixed the forward barrel problem. Thank you, Pete Ganzel, for the great info on the Beer Baby.

Didn't have any issues with Flare or viginetting or CA. IQ was off the wall. Whoo Hoo!!!

Minolta colors were all there.
reviewer#3617 date: May-20-2008
price paid:found at dad's
positive:sharp!
fast AF
color
no CA (yet)
negative:none yet (though I don't have a hood but that's a personal problem)
comment:I am trying not to spend too much time with this lens because I need to work a whole lot more with the 75-300 (which I think I'm having a problem with because the 350 isn't full-frame...I need to remember the limitations). That said, this lens is amazing, digital or no. At 1.7 the focus is ok, but 2.8 on down almost every shot is perfect. I am amazed at how sharp this lens is. It defines prime, in my opinion...it may well be the King of Primes :o)

Color is great, too, and I haven't seen any CA or flare. I'm pretty sure the CA is non-existent and since I don't have a hood, perhaps flare won't be a problem, either. I'll revise that as I play more. In most pics so far, I describe the bokeh as dreamy, but my eye seems to be drawn more to the sharpness (I can't get over it) where it should be and the amazing colors. The colors on this lens are incredibly vivid, and I haven't touched anything up in CS3, nor have I needed to.

It's not too shabby as a pseudo-macro, either, at which point the bokeh really works for me.

This is one lens I don't think anyone should be without. I love it so much I'm afraid to use it too much and neglect all the others. I'd probably pay whatever I had to if I needed to replace it (though I might see if I could get the 50 f/1.4 macro, first, assuming all things were equal or better). I'd give it all 5's but I'm afraid the flare will surface right after I do. I'll come back and edit (and post some pics as soon as I stop taking so many) that when the verdict is in. I can't say enough how happy I am to have found this site and a new use for some pretty good old stuff!
reviewer#3569 date: May-8-2008
compared to:Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Minolta 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 (N)
Minolta 50mm f/1.4 (O)
price paid:$90 USD (used)
positive:+cheap
+great build
+sharp at mid apertures
+colour
+fast AF
negative:-hood doesn't stay in place
-omg flare!
-no circular aperture
-lack of sharpness and contrast at large apertures
-very busy bokeh
comment:This lens is a real trooper, a must have for everyone who shoots Minolta/Alpha. It is very sharp at f/2.8 onwards. Typical Minolta colours. This is my main walk-around film lens and makes a nice portrait lens on a 1.5x crop body. I might consider upgrading to the Sony 50mm f/1.4 someday.

When in conditions where flare is expected, this lens gets it really bad - the entire frame loses contrast. The front element is already recessed but it'd be nice to have a larger hood. Bokeh is hit or miss; very busy wide open but it smooths out by f/2.4. Pink fringing and veiling can be an issue wide open.

Update: I upgraded to the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 and I love it even more. I grew tired of the 50/1.7's lack of image quality at apertures larger than f/2.8.
reviewer#3542 date: May-2-2008
compared to:Minolta 50mm f2.8 macro
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
price paid:$35.00-$50.00 USED
positive:Small, light, great color, small filter size, fast focus
negative:Built in hood is useless, get a collapsing rubber hood and leave it on
comment:First Prime I have gotten for the SONY A-200.
I love this lens.
Focus is fast, color is great, bokeh is amazing, For the price these trade at everyone needs one.

I've had around 8 copies of this lens in the last year. I just aquired another and I think this one is the sharpest ever. It is also an older crossed XX version.

The color reproduction is incredible. I think I'm going to have to play with lens a lot more. Image quality is really astounding stopped down just 1-1 1/2 stops. I still think that everyone should have one if they find it at a reasonable price.
reviewer#3534 date: Apr-29-2008
compared to:sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO
price paid:130 beg
positive:realy sharp from f/2.2
small
light whight
perfect for portrait

negative:flares in direct sunlight
comment:perfest lens when it´s comes too sharpnes
reviewer#3507 date: Apr-24-2008
compared to:Minolta 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Minolta 70-210 F4
Tamron 17-50 F2.8
price paid:150 USD (like new)
positive:Sharp - from F2
Small, handy
negative:Contrast - could be better, but still good
Not very fast focusing
comment:I like this lens... Very usefull indoors, with 1.7 usually can work without flash.
For a long time i used it as a pattern of sharpness, untill i had possibilty to test some better ones.
I find photos a bit dark, but with some postprocessing they are really nice.
reviewer#3503 date: Apr-23-2008
compared to:Minolta 35-70mm f4
price paid:88 USD (vg+)
positive:Lives up to what others have said:
-Sharp
-Great Colors and Contrast
-Nice build/light
-Built in sliding hood
comment:I bought two copies and am keeping the 1st Gen XX vs. the non-xx. They both hold their same sharpness, but I like the crossed X's (dumb reason). The coating on the XX isn't as nice as the ones after it though. Its not deep and rich, and seems a bit light, but I am not worried because it has a hood.
This lens is rising in price and is a keeper/classic.

You should get one while you can, if you don't have one yet. Perhaps a subtle drawback for me is the crop factor. Though it gets close to the famed 85mm, I'm more comfortable with something more wide. But that has little to do with the lens and its superb quality.

Update 7/7/09: I had a 50mm 1.7 RS and used it extensively for several months before i acquired the 50 1.4. To me, the contrast of the 1.4 was better but the difference in sharpness was negligible without serious pixel peeping.
reviewer#3458 date: Apr-13-2008
compared to:28-85mm Minolta
17-85mm Sony (kit lens)
price paid:$58 (used)
positive:1) So sharp it can cut diamonds.
2) Amazing bokeh (especially in manual mode)
3) Tiny, compact, takes up no space in bag.
4) Cheap!
negative:1) flare is a bother
2) tiny DOF can make for a lot of "almost perfect" shots.
3) More like 85mm on a dSLR (not always a negative).
4) Poor min. focus distance.
comment:I just love this lens. Only had it for about 3 days not, but I am already just blown away. Great portraits, macros, night shooting. Get it. I paid less than $60 used on ebay.
reviewer#3435 date: Apr-6-2008
positive:Very sharp from f4
Light, inexpensive
Nice bokeh
negative:Bit soft at f2.8 and f1.7
comment:I really like this lens. So light and so sharp! Best when stopped to f4 or smaller, however, f2.8 is good too. I would recommend this lens.
reviewer#3417 date: Mar-31-2008
compared to:18-70 sony kit lens
70-210 f4 (beercan)

price paid:85 CAD (used)
positive:Sharpness at f2.8+
AF speed
Build quality
negative:Sharpness below f2.8
comment:I bought this just for kicks wasn't really sure what I was doing, but I had read good reviews of this lens here.

Positives:
Amazing sharpness at f2.8 and above, but lacking when you go below f2.5-ish (sony provides f2.5 and film body provides f2.4) it starts to lack more than I like. I bought a wide aperture lens for a reason, no point if I can't use those apertures. As long as you stay away from f1.7 you're fine actually, f2 is quite usable, and the bokeh at f2 makes up for the lack of sharpness. Bokeh (out of focus areas) is very nice, though you see the need for a circular aperture above f2.8. at f2 the bokeh is great and will not let you down.

Colours are Excellent, I don't know really what people mean by "Minolta colours" But I have a feeling I might know. It's very rich, however there is one problem that I don't think it deserves a 4 for the rating but I should mention it. THIS IS A COLD LENS. I have to keep some warming on the whitebalance at all times if I'm not shooting raw.

Auto focus speed is very good, I've never really used a good lens so I don't have much to compare it to, save one canon 100mm macro with USM that I used was very fast, this is good enough.

Distortion: cannot notice anything.

Flare: This lens will flare if you point it at a bright light source, but I don't think I've seen flare otherwise.

Build: I would never worry about how I handle this lens so that says it all.

I would say buy this lens if you want a taste of what good optics is really about, I haven't used the f1.4 ever, but I know if I had the money I would replace this lens because I can't use it below f2.8 as much as I'd like. Also, It's not really that fun on a digital body, I've got it on my film and it's really a good field of view. On digital it's not wide enough and not close enough.
reviewer#3374 date: Mar-18-2008
negative:Flare
Soft wide open
Not so useful lens hood
Thin focus ring
comment:My copy had a couple of issues: oily iris and uneven focus ring friction. After addressing those issue, the lens is working wonderfully.

I don't have other primes to compare, but I did test at 50mm with other lenses.
@f/1.7 - Lens is very soft. Center is OK. Gives dreamy effect which I like. No other lenses I own open this wide.
@f/2.8 - Lens is sharp but not as sharp as Sigma.
@f/5.6 - Lens is very sharp. Tie with Sigma.
Sharper than Sony at the same aperture. Sony is sharp but not sharper at f/8.

Only issue with this lens is flare, so avoid strong light source in the frame. Other than that, it is a wonderful lens to own.
reviewer#3369 date: Mar-17-2008
compared to:Zeiss 16-80
Minolta 28 135mm
positive:light, fast, usually sharp, focus is on the fast side
negative:great indoors, but if space is tight, its a pain
comment:Usually sharp, still my favorite portrait lens, and great for low light. I tend not to open it up beyond f2.8. I only open up further if I'm trying to avoid ISO above 3200 on my Alpha A700. DOF gets thin and focus can be hit or miss, or just too soft if you open up more.

I like to take pics at night and this prime is not good at all for night shots with any strong lights in the pics. I get huge blue globs of light in various locations when I do shoot this way, with softer lights, it's usually ok. With the Zeiss I once owned you could hardly get it to flare. For night shots my 28 135mm isn't great, but it's better than this.

Focus is usually accurate and fast on my A700, and it's very good with the focus points outside the center ones. Pleasing color and contrast, but nothing I would rave about. My old zeiss still had better color and contrast. It was also sharper than this prime WHEN and if I could get a sharp pic from a bad copy.

Every alpha owner should own a fast prime for low light pics, for shots of music at a club, weddings, indoor sports and general indoor if you have the room to take a few steps back. If the 1.4 prime is too rich for you, pick this up, it runs about a bill at this writing and it's worth twice that when the lights are low.

reviewer#3359 date: Mar-13-2008
compared to:Tamron 18-200 Di
Kit 17-80
price paid:$180 new in 1985
positive:+ Sharp frame from f2 up
+ 75mm on aps-c perfect for head shots and close ups
+ compact/light but solid build quality
negative:- 75mm on aps-c not good for group shots indoors or in tight places.
- Manual focus ring is to small (that's why a I gave it 4 build rating)
comment:The 50 was the only lens mounted on my 20year+ Minolta 7000 and it has taken many memorable shots and has continued to do so on my KM5D. It's well documented on Dyxum the many positive and few negatives there are about owning this lens so I'll try not to repeat what's been already said.
I would like to contribute a few tips for using this lens for street, portrait and even macro situations that I picked up over the years.

B/W STREET
This is my favorite use for this lens especially at night or indoors since it is fast and small size makes it more discrete than a zoom

Settings on KM5D - BW, f1.7-f8, iso 800-3200, +1 contrast, release priority, continuous adv
If I have time to compose I'll set it to Spot AF but general leave it to Wide AF so I can literally "shoot from the hip" if I want to be discrete or high or low POV's

PORTRAIT
Since it's 75mm on my KM5D it does good job softening backgrounds and its sharper and I like the flesh tones better than my zooms. I like setting the camera to overexpose slightly and f2-f4 for shallow DOF to smooth out skin imperfections since I mostly shoot friends/family and not pro models with perfect skin and make-up. Just focus lock on their best eye and recompose. They will thank you for making them look beautiful!

POOR MAN's Macro
I occasionally like to shot macro's but not enough to justify the investment into a true tele macro such as the 100 f2.8 so I make do nicely with the following set-up since it's well known that 50 is very sharp when stopped down. I can get as close as 10cm-12cm from my subject with very good details. It will cost less than $50 if purchased on ebay

49-62mm step up adapter and 62mm center pinch Hama lens cap (I keep this on my 50 at all times, the cap is more secure and minimizes the chance of stripping the 49mm threads during frequent filter changes)

62mm HOYA HMC 3 lens close up set - diopters +1, +2, +4

Why 62mm? You can stack several of these on top of each other to get up to +7 diopter without getting vignetting and 62mm is the same size on Tamron zoom.

Enjoy this wonderful lens and I hope this review was use full!

reviewer#3319 date: Mar-1-2008
compared to:- Sony 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 DT
- Beercan (Min 70-210 f/4)
positive:- Fast
- Cheap
- Lightweight and compact
- Great image quality
- Fast AF
negative:- 50mm is a bit too long on cropped sensor
- Useless hood
comment:After owning this lens for a year, I've rediscovered how valuable and wonderful it is, particularly for indoor pictures with or without flash. It can also do good macro work. The pictures out of this lens blow away the 18-70 kit lens. Plus, this lens is so small that it is easy to toss in the bag and always have available (different from, say, the beercan!).

Get it and you won't be disappointed. I use mine often for self-given photography assignments. Not worrying about zoom setting helps me to think about other aspects of the photograph: angle, perspective, depth of field, shutter speed, etc.

Now if only Sony would come out with a similarly-priced 35mm/1.7 or 2.0. This would fill a great hole in the prime lens lineup for cropped sensors.
reviewer#3301 date: Feb-20-2008
compared to:kit lens, beercan,Sigma 70-300 APO, tokina 35-200 3.5-5.6
price paid:$85
positive:sharp, great for low light, good colors,light
negative:a little long for digital
comment:I love this lens. It is by far the sharpest in my bag.I pull it out and use my feet to zoom when I want to take a picture I want to print in a larger size. I just wish I owned a zoom this good.
reviewer#3283 date: Feb-19-2008
compared to:18-70 KM Kit
Minolta 70-210 beercan
price paid:75€
positive:ligth, bright and reactive
a very nice price
negative:manual map very small
comment:I am very happy of this lens. For the Price I paid I could not have made a better buy

Extremly good for pictures of babies (newborn) and picture with no flash inside

on A700 the focusing time becomes more than acceptable
it is now a better solution

It also done great with my Alpha 77
I just changed it because I had the opportunity to get a sony 50/1.4
reviewer#3267 date: Feb-16-2008
compared to:28-75 tamron.
price paid:53 usd with m7000
positive:sharpness, color, fast AF, built-in lenshood, build.
negative:bulky focus ring, non circular aperture
comment:if you can't buy 50mm 1,4, than this is a must have one. most i use this lens for portrets.
reviewer#3240 date: Feb-8-2008
price paid:80€ used
positive:- Sharp
- Bright
negative:- Shallow focus ring
comment:Personally I love this lens. It's sharp, and I pretty much like colors and bokeh. When I mount it, I often feel that I don't need much more than this 50mm.

I find it perfectly usable up to f2.8, while when used at widest apertures it gets obviously softer and a bit more prone to focus errors (on my a700 at least).
reviewer#3216 date: Jan-29-2008
- small
- light weight
- well build
negative:- focus ring
comment:Bought it second hand in the early ninetees to have a light weight walk around lens, but always kept it in the bag preferring the 28-85 on my 7000i.
It got a second life thanks to the A100's crop factor. For me it's an excellent portrait lens now. It's my favourite in low light indoors (together with the 35/2). It's sharp, performs well with AF and MF. Sharpness at its best from F2.8 but if necessary even acceptable wide open!
My only critiscim is the small focus ring. But: if you own more older Minolta lenses, like I do, you get used to that.
reviewer#3213 date: Jan-27-2008
Sturdy build quality
Produces nice photos
negative:Lens hood
focus ring
comment:I bought this with a bundle of Minolta camera hardware and was pleasantly surprised. This is a great little lens. Highly recommended.
reviewer#3210 date: Jan-26-2008
compared to:Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro
price paid:60€
positive:- very light
- very sharp
negative:- bulky focus ring
comment:Very great prime lens which is small and light. The only issue is that the focus ring is a little bit bulky.
reviewer#3199 date: Jan-22-2008
compared to:SAL1870
Minolta AF 28-80 F4-5.6
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
price paid:68 EUR (used)
Fast AF
negative:Built-in lenshood
comment:I bought the lens used and it turned out that the lenshood had become slightly oval. This in its turn affected the focusing.
Corrected it by applying gentle pressure to get the lenshood round again.

I like the lens a lot and for that price, I should have bought one years ago.

reviewer#3174 date: Jan-13-2008
compared to:A dozen or so popular M42 mount 50mm primes.
positive:- Affordable AF prime
- Pretty sharp, especially in the centre
- Nice bokeh
negative:- Focusing ring way too small
- Plastic body
- Filter threads rotate when focusing
- Prone to flare (built-in hood helps a bit)
comment:A nifty little lens, quite essential for a Minolta AF -mount collection (unless one decides to go for the much less affordable f/1.4 version). Compared to similarly priced manual focus primes, not as fast or as good, but has no major weaknesses either (other than the plastic build). And it has AF.
reviewer#3122 date: Dec-31-2007
compared to:Sony 18-70 DT (Alpha Kit Lens)
Minolta 28-80 (Maxxum 5 Kit Lens)
Sony 75-300 (Pseudo-kit telephoto zoom)
price paid:82 USD (good condt.)
positive:The sharpness and color are worlds above that of the kit lenses (any of them).

Bokeh is beautiful.
negative:Internal Lens Hood is small and worthless.
comment:The best photos I have taken have been with this lens. If you don't own one of these yet, do yourself the favor and get one. Ebay is a great place to start.
reviewer#3110 date: Dec-25-2007
price paid:60 EURO
positive:-cheap
-fast&light
-efficient and quick AF
-simple and sturdy construction
negative:-smudgy at F1.7 (but if you close it to F4 everything is OK)
-poor flare control
price paid:GBP60
positive:Good colours
Good resolution
good Bokeh
negative:None compared with my other lenses
comment:I bought this lens on ebay in order to provide my Alpha 700 with better quality glass than my other three lenses (listed above).

In a one day outing I was so impressed by the improvement that I had seven shots blown up to A3 which are currently waiting to be framed.

My Alpha 700 is in the post and I look forward to blowing some shots from that up to a similar size to compare.
reviewer#3040 date: Dec-4-2007
price paid:60$ (Used)
positive:Small size.
f/1,7
Good for portraits.
Very nice bokeh wide open.
negative:Noisy AF.
My item has bokeh and color transmision problems.

comment:I boght this lens used because it's too hard to find one here in Moldova.
For downgrade of my item is that an aperture blade was changed. It's position is not so good, and at f/4 - 16 it's not circular :(. But I get used to how to avoid this. I do use it for portraits wide apertures, and for Landscape I don't need the bokeh :).
The color transmision is a little bit diferent from my 28mm lens. I don't like sometimes the transmition of colors in landscape photography and if in the photo there are too many elements. This is not seen however on BW film :).
But I think it's because it was disasembled.
I hope I will buy a new Sony 50mm f/1.4 to replace it.

Overal seems to be a very good lens for portraits.
reviewer#3036 date: Dec-4-2007
compared to:16-105 Sony
18-70 Sony
price paid:75 cdn new
positive:Small, compact, cheap and fast. Cheap 49mm filter size.
Well made.
negative:Lens hood retracts into lens.
comment:Cheapest fast Minolta prime lens. It's small, lightweight, and compact. Have had this lens since my first Minolta film camera, and refuse to let it go. With digital cameras with a C size sensor, it's even better since it's equal to a 75mm at 1.7 (35mm equivalent). It's always had a high reputation as a sharp lens that rivals the far more expensive 50mm 1.4 Minolta. This lens is the best value for the money. Best to ignore the built-in retracting Minolta lens and use a $10 rubber one. Has great value on either film or digital slr's, because of it's quality and speed.
reviewer#3010 date: Nov-30-2007
compared to:70-210f4
18-70kit
75-300kit
positive:good colour
sharp
fast
negative:bit soft wide open
comment:well built. cheap. good for indoors & fast re: aperature. beautiful color and bokeh. good portrait length. recommended lense
reviewer#2996 date: Nov-29-2007
price paid:61 € (used)
positive:-Sharpness
-Focusing speed
-Price
-Aperture
negative:-Plastic hood
comment:Nice lens for portraits, easy to take with you due to the small size.
Wide open it tends to misfocus a bit now and then.
Besided that a perfect lens for low-light situations.
reviews found: 417    << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>