Tamron AF 200-400mm F5.6 A-mount lens reviews

Minolta 70-210 4 Beercan
Minolta 80-200 2.8 APO
Minolta 100-200 4.5-5.6 APO
price paid:1200 SEK=180 $
positive:Range - my longest lens. Pictures taken at 400 mm is not better than pictures from the BBC at 300 mm and re-sized. And I get less amount of keepers due to slow focusing speed.
negative:Flare control, focusing speed, size. If the sun hits the front lens the image will be completely washed out. A good hood is needed, the supplied hood is really good. Focusing speed is among my slowest out of 15 lenses. Zoom Creep. It is a pump zoom, my only one. Pump zoom takes a while to get used to. Colors not as vivid as the colors of the Minolta lenses.
comment:So-so center sharpness in the 200-330 range full open. Sharpens up when stopping down to f:11. Still worse than the BBC 75-300. Never center sharpness at 400 mm. Slow focusing not aimed for birds in flight. Very cheap option for 400 mm range. Very bad flare control. Pump zoom.
reviewer#11437 date: Nov-5-2013
Focal length
negative:Push-pull zoom
Slow AF
Soft
comment:I bought this lens a while ago for cheap mainly for birding and wildlife shooting. my first impression on A77 is that it is not that sharp and at 400mm it is too weak. contrast is poor.
focus peaking allow better results. overall, not that bad for the price paid.
reviewer#10869 date: Jan-23-2013
compared to:Minolta 135mm f/2.8
Minolta 28-85 f/3.5-4.5
positive:Sharp when handheld
Great Colors
negative:A bit heavy.
comment:Great lens for beginner long range zoom. With the Sony A77 i was able to get sharp images of the moon and some birds handheld (with steadyshot enabled). Colors are great too.
reviewer#10082 date: Apr-3-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
price paid:200.00 USD (used)
positive:Solid as a rock build-wise..can take a beating out there in the field without even turning a hair. Capable of some pretty spectacular shots if the light's bright enough, A capable birding lens for a bargain price.
negative:It's heaaaaavvvy! One beefy, built like a tank type lens that'll put the cramp in your arm pretty quick! Doesn't do all that well in low light, slow AF, a bit of a downer in the CA dept.
comment:I bought this used almost a year ago and for the price, you really can't go wrong. It's big, it's solid as a rock and when extended all the way out to 400, it can really bring you close to the action.

On the downside, it's a pretty heavy piece of glass and though you can get some terrific hand held shots, I do recommend using a tripod or a good sturdy monopod. It does have some CA issues with quite a bit of purple fringing, especially when there's a lot of contrast between your subject and the background.

AF can be a bit slow and images tend to be a bit soft when shooting in anything but brighly lit situations. It does spectacularly well when shooting in direct sunlight though...razor sharp details, some really nice colors and the fact that it's built like a tank make this a pretty capable critter lens. For the money, it's alot of bang for your buck.
reviewer#10070 date: Mar-31-2012
compared to:Tamron 70-300
positive:Great bargains available online
Good sharpness and contrast if stopped down to f9-f11
Its heavy about 2.6 lbs, but can shoot hand-held with some practice.
negative:Not sharp, low contrast at f5.6
Purple fringing
comment:Great bargain for a wildlife/birding lens if you can find it on ebay. Got mine in excellent condition, initial shots with my A65 are pretty good if you work within its limitations.

Autofocus is reasonably fast - focus ring has short travel. Looks impressive with its 77 mm filter and deep hood.

Push-pull zoom needs some practice. As with most heavy lenses, its a little unbalanced when mounted on the A65. I ordered the Barska pistol grip for the lens and that should make it easy to handle.

Update Oct 2013:
Sold lens
reviewer#9985 date: Mar-1-2012
compared to:Tamron 200-500mm
Big beercan
price paid:£150 GBP
positive:Decent sharpness up to 350mm
Cheap
negative:Prone to flare/ghosting (make sure you use the hood)
CA
Slow AF in poor light
comment:This lens performed far better than I was expecting (given how cheap it is). It has decent sharpness (getting softer after 350mm) but you should stop it down to f7.1 where possible and you must ensure you use the hood as it is very prone to flare/ghosting.

The AF is reasonable in decent daylight (I was able to get puffins in flight using this lens) but in poor lighting conditions it becomes slow and prone to hunting. Build quality is mediocre and uses the old fashioned push/pull zoom method which I'm indifferent about, I'd prefer it was a conventional twist zoom but not losing any sleep over it.

It's not as good as it's larger brother the tamron 200-500mm where the range, AF speed and image quality is better but it costs many times more than this and as someone who is only going need a wildlife/birding lens a few times a year it's an ideal option which I can justify keeping in my line up.
reviewer#9983 date: Feb-29-2012

positive:- Constant aperture.
- build is Good
- so cheap !
- AF pretty fast
- decent sharpness even if a bit soft at 400mm.
- Internal focus
- big hood => no flare issues
negative:- big CA !
- Push/pull zoom
- AF hunts a little in very low light.
comment:I bought this lens for a very low price and it was like a new one. What a bargain!

It is mounted on a SONY SLT-A55

The lens is big, but still reasonnable for a 400mm@f5.6
Once you fix the hood on the front lense it is really impressive.
Fast AF and pretty sharp, for me the main issue is the big CA. A friend of mine as also find a copy and same the CA is big.
reviewer#9557 date: Nov-1-2011
compared to:Canon 75-300mm IS USM f4-5.6 Ultrasonic
positive:great zoom range, fast AF, fairly sharp, inexpensive!
negative:not much, for the price it's great! it zooms by sliding back and forth
comment:This lens cannot bea beaten for the price you pay. There are occasional ones on e-bay and other places and usually around $200-$400. The one I got was used off e-bay but in amazing condition. No wear, clean and sharp. The sliding zoom is a little annoying, I've always been a fan of the rotational ring but at that price I'm not going to be picky. It is a large, heavy lens, get over it, it's 400mm! it's solid, and unless you go to a mirror lens it's the least expensive 400mm. Very happy with the performance, it;s sharper then my Canon 75-300 IS USM (which was more expensive). You need a good tripod for this lens, something solid as it doesn't have IS. Overall, if you need a good telephoto lens, highly recommended.
reviewer#9073 date: Jun-2-2011
positive:Well built
Sharpness
Constant aperture
negative:Push-pull zoom
comment:I have had this lens for something like 15 years. It has not seen a lot of use because the focal length range is one I do not use all that much. It looks impressive when zoomed out to 400mm. Sharpness is good, but a bit reduced wide open at 400mm.
reviewer#8325 date: Dec-1-2010
flare
negative:some CA
Sharp only from F8
Massive!
comment:It's a good lens for the money and is useful if you want a cheap but good wildlife lens. The push-pull zoom is a problem for some but doesn't bother me.

I'd recommend it if you can get it for under $325 as it is worth the money.
reviewer#8116 date: Oct-19-2010
good quality price ratio
negative:need to go at f/8 for sharp image
Little lack of contrast
AF a little slow
comment:I have used it in several condition.
When the light is a little strong it really miss contrast. I need to push it in LR.

AF is not so fast but Ok. Except in low light condition

it is a very good compromise for its price
reviewer#7700 date: Jul-19-2010
compared to:beercan, big beercan
positive:+400mm at a decent price
+built like a tank
+sharp when stopped down
negative:-hunts in low light
-sometimes not sharp
-push pull lens
comment:I bought this lens as I needed the reach of the 400mm for an air show. My first impression was that its soft at 400mm, so it did not fit my initial purpose. I was about to sell the lens but decided to try it for mor time. But now with time I somehow learned to use the lens better and now I can often get much better and sharper pictures with the Tamron than with the Beercan or the Big Beercan which I find surprising. In good light it will beat them on sharpness hands down. And with the extra 100mm I get much better pictures. For now its staying till I get the cash for a 70-400G
reviewer#7607 date: Jun-25-2010
compared to:KM 75-300 4.5-5.6
KM 100-200 4.5
older worn version of same lens
price paid:99 USD used
positive:sharp images at all focal lengths
excellent color
truly effective hood
negative:it's HUGE!
focus ring is out on the end making manual focus awkward when racked out to 400mm
comment:I only had this lens for a few days (ebay purchase that I sent back due to excessive play in the forward optical assembly), but took a good number of images with it to aid in my decision whether or not to keep it.

Overall I would rate this as an excellent performer if you can get one that doesn't have wear in the mechanism, it handles well for such a huge lens and produces very good images from a steady platform (or with a high enough shutter speed).

I intend to keep looking for one of these that is in better condition; optically the only penalty on APS sensors from the sloppy slider (at least 2mm play in all directions at the front of the lens when extended past 375mm) was a fairly large shift in point of aim when the slider was wiggled around, but the focus linkage also bound at some angles and with FF/film the edges got soft and there was light fall-off in corners.

*** Revised & updated: I got another one of these, the newer version with more textured grip surfaces and a more easily removed tripod mount. The image quality is better than the first, not surprisingly, since this lens is almost new where the first I had was well worn. I think the people who are having sharpness issues with this lens are more likely having problems stabilizing it enough to see how sharp it really is. I took several closeups with this lens and then took similar images with my Sigma 90mm macro (which is *very* sharp)...you need to pixel peep to be sure that the macro is sharper!
reviewer#7395 date: May-3-2010
compared to:135mm f1.8 - ZA
70-200mm f2.8 - Tamron
100-300mm f4.0 - Tokina
price paid:$250
positive:Not as heavey as I thought it would be, handles well on both A700 & A850, good color, excelent contrast & sharp
negative:Very long at 400mm and grabs attention
comment:For the price it is one good bargain. I was not expecting it to be as nice a lens as it turned out. It may not be the Sony 70-400mm G; however it is very respectable and makes pleasing prints. The color is good with just a taste of yellow (coatings/age?), which is easily corrected in post. The contrast is on par with its new sibling (70-200mm f2.8).

It does require decent light to focus (f5.6 min). With good light it is reasonably fast given the abscence of a limiter switch.

It is still early on in my relationship with this glass so there may be more to follow.

I do recommend this lens very highly (especially at these prices).

UPDATE- 5/04/2010: After a little more time with this gem I had to correct my initial ratings.
reviewer#7365 date: Apr-28-2010
quick focus on A700
sharp
negative:hard to find
soft at 400mm
comment:i got a exemplar that is like a new one and it's very sharp, only at 400mm i have to stop down at f8 for sharp photos
reviewer#7301 date: Apr-17-2010
compared to:Minolta AF100-400
positive:sharp
F5.6 Constant
Glass Optical
Internal Focus
negative:Slow AF, But Fast at Sony Alpha700 Body, Push Pull Zoom,

comment:i am very surprise when i am using this lens at first time, Sharp from 5.6 and very sharp at F8. Mine is AF 200 - 400 mm F/5.6LD [IF] (Model 175D), The latest one model. The different at the Grip design only..
reviewer#7127 date: Mar-21-2010
compared to:Sony 18-250
Sony 70-300G
Minolta 70-210 f4 beercan
price paid:$400
positive:Extremely Sharp lens
negative:heavy
comment:At 200mm, this tamron lens is sharper than the Sony 18-250, 75-300 and even the beercan. But it loses (slightly) to the Sony G lens at 200mm. However at 300mm, the sharpness of the Tamron is as good as the 70-300G!

IMO for this price and the additional 100mm, I would feel this is a better price/performance over the 70-300G lens.

However this tamron is heavy...
reviewer#6692 date: Jan-5-2010
compared to:Minolta AF100-400
Vivitar AF100-400
Sigma AF400 APO f5.6
positive:Sharp at 400mm/f5.6
negative:Push-Pull zoom
Very long at 400mm
comment:This "old-fashioned" Tamron zoom has been a positive surprise. My sample outperforms both the original Minolta AF100-400 and the Sigma AF400 APO f5.6 prime at 400mm in regard to sharpness.
Not surprisingly much better than the Vivitar/Voightländer/Cosina AF100-400 and furthermore the price for a used copy of this Tamron lens is not much more than the Vivitar/Voightländer/Cosina.

Pictures are sharp from wide open - and are close to perfect at f8. Good contrast and much less CA than the Sigma AF 400 APO. Colour is fine too. Much better than the Vivitar/Voightländer/Cosina and Sigma (both requires PP for good results). Fairly close to the Minolta AF100-400. So pictures can be used without PP.

So I sold my 400mm prime in order to keep this one instead.
It supplement the Minolta AF100-400 nicely as the Minolta becomes too soft at the long end - and my sample of the Tamron (strangely enough?) becomes softer at 200mm and sharper at 400mm. So a close to perfect match for me.

If you can accept a push-pull zoom that is fairly long then this Tamron is highly recomendable. Relatively low price (used) and very good picture quality.
reviewer#6690 date: Jan-5-2010
compared to:Minolta 70-210mm f/4
Minolta 100-200mm f/4.5
price paid:130 USD used
positive:A cheap alternative to zoom past 300mm without expensive glass or teleconverters. Acceptably sharp wide open at 200mm.
negative:Soft wide open at 400mm. Heavy.
comment:I bought this lens because I wanted a zoom longer than 300mm, but had neither a teleconverter nor a lens compatible with one. For the price I paid, I feel like I got my money's worth. Image quality is ok - good wide open at 200mm, but you need to stop down to f/8 for this lens to be really sharp at 400mm. F/8 is fine for stationary subjects, but usually means you have to choose between shutter speed and ISO for faster targets.

One interesting thing about this lens is that it's a push-pull zoom. Rather than turn a zoom ring, you grab the outer barrel and push it away from you to zoom in on a subject, or pull back to zoom out.
reviewer#4937 date: Mar-2-2009
compared to:Minolta Kit zoom 75-300
300 f4 G
positive:Fixed Aperture
Easy to zoom (push-pull)
Very good color
Deep hood = no flare issues
fairly compact
negative:heavy
loses sharpness wide open at 400
comment:The color is superior to the kit lens by a fair margin. There is more contrast in the color. In golden light its wonderful.

The lens is quite sharp at f8. I normally use it at 350mm f8 with very good results. It is consistently good from 200-350. 400 has some sharpness fall off. Even on the fine pixel pitch of the A350 the sharpness is good. It is a superior lens to the kit. It is of course no match for a G prime.

The range is very good for birding or active wildlife. A bit of practice lets you fill the frame as you like with no issues. Rotary zooms require more time to get used to the gearing of each lens. Some people complain its a dust pump. Ok, if you zoom like pumping a shotgun you will have to clean it more frequently. Normal use is not much worse than another zoom lens.

I got mine used "mint" for $300 CDN. Thats more than typical for this older design. It has served well yielding many good shots. If weather or location make me hesitate to take the G there is no hesitation reaching for this lens. Pack a rain cover with long length.

My biggest complaint is the weight. Lots of steel and glass.

In the ratings i am comparing to a G lens as a 5.
reviewer#4532 date: Dec-12-2008
compared to:Sony 18-200
Tamron 70-300
price paid:169 ebay
positive:Built like a tank
Good colors
negative:Heavy lens
comment:This lens is built like a tank and can be bought used on ebay. I have used this lens for sports with good results when the lighting is good.
reviewer#4118 date: Sep-21-2008
compared to:Beercan 70-210
Minolta 80-200 HS G
Minolta 300mm APO G
Sigma 75-300 DL
price paid:270 AU (2ndHand)
positive:Nice zoom range
Not too heavy
negative:Soft wide open
Can be slow focusing
comment:In lower light (such as overcast days) can be slow to focus. Not sharp wide open but sharpens up after F8. Sharper than Sigma overall, but the minolta lenses easily beat it for sharpness.

Not too heavy, definitely lighter than 300mmAPO G. I would give colour 4.5 if I could as well as build rating and flare.

Overall though very good for the price it can be purchased for second hand. I also feel it does a bit better on film than on digital.
reviewer#4109 date: Sep-18-2008
Build like a tank
Optic is glass.
Internal focus
negative:push pull len
Constant F5.6, if F4 then it is great.
No APO coating
comment:

Great zoom range till 400mm but it is a push pull type len. if this is a 1 touch kind of len, that will be great.

Not so heavy, you still can hand held the len.

Overall , the len performace is still good vs it price pay. Great len if you can get 1 in decent price.
reviewer#4010 date: Aug-28-2008
Big lens hood
Excellent IQ for money
negative:Little heavy
Not available
comment: I bought this lens and immediately took it to the airport, then the zoo a few days later. I have been blessed with the used lenses I have bought, this one included. It is sharp out to 350-360mm, and simply stopping it down a step maintains sharpness on the long end. It exhibits little flare and no lens creep, I hung it down, then up on the tripod overnight to see if it moved, but it did not. My copy focuses very quickly and the colors are very pleasing. The anti-shake of my A100 works well with this lens and I returned the 2x teleconverter I bought for my beercan because of the greatly improved IQ. It is not light or discrete, but performs great for a 400 zoom. If anyone has priced a low "F" zoom, you can easily see why this lens is a steal for the money.
reviewer#3639 date: May-27-2008
price paid:$176 US used
positive:Very sharp
Zoom
400mm
comment:I usually don't post any reviews 2 hours after I received a lens. But this Tamrom 200-400 is exciting. Finally a 400mm lens I really can use. In good light I can handhold this lens and I get sharp pictures at 400mm with the color and contrast I'm used to from the Minolta (75-300) at 300mm. It is balanced well in the hand and on the tripod.

I was very hesitant about buying another Tamron after getting/returning the 70-300 but this lens is worth every penny. You actually get what expect not something that's labeled 200-400 and is only usable from 250-350. I wanted something that works well at 400mm and this Tamron does.

CA - as expected it has some but it's pretty well controlled much better then the TM 70-300. My lens is a LD. I don't know if all of them are. Distortion and Flare are really no issue for these long lenses. Unless you consider CA as a distortion (which I do)

It's a monster - heavy and long at 400mm. Not an easy traveling lens. But when not in action it folds up pretty reasonable. My 500mm mirror lens goes on Ebay today. I can't get myself to take a picture with it after getting this 200-400.

Update: you can get flares. I managed to have some flare issues shooting some buildings and caught the reflection of the sun. To be fare I lowered the rating. I still like the lens very much. With good light it's an excellent lens.
reviewer#3492 date: Apr-20-2008
Great zoom on a APS-C A100
Has a Collar
Seems Pritty Sharp So far
Constant F5.6
Makes you look like a pro!
Great Big lens hood
negative:Heavy But i like it!
over 2 feet long fully extended
Needs a tripod for lower light shots
comment:I have only had this for a few weeks and yet to try it out Fully but so far this Lens has been great the copy i got doesn't zoom creep and seems pretty sharp. I am yet to try it on the moon and do some other things with it but ill update this post when i get the chance to take some more shots!.

reviewer#3230 date: Feb-1-2008
compared to:minolta 200/2,8 APO
price paid:120 GBP (used)
positive:great range of zoom, cheap
negative:flare, softer, slow
comment:fort the price I paid it was good lens
reviewer#2777 date: Sep-25-2007
compared to:A huge step up from the "usual" 28-200...70 - 300 mm lenses
price paid:210US$ used
positive:Constant F/5.6
Fast AF
Nice bokeh
Fast autofocus (Sports, Flying birds)
negative:Not available any more new!
comment:I am approaching things carefully. So I checked the IS of the D5 and the camera overall and was very pleased. I bought a Sigma 10-20mm new and found the Tamron used on eBay. Now I own 2 Sony Alpha.
The Tamron AF 200-400 is an amazing lens, not only for the bargain. The AF is fast to do real action shots from sport events ( see kitesurfing under www.Photo-Shows.com),It took really nice pictures from a pair of Turkey Vultures and a pair of Bald Eagles competing over some prey here - I am talking IN flight. It needs considerable light to perform well; but you will not find any comparable lens that does the job so well. I also like the bokeh effect when I PORTRAIT Flowers. I only can recommend this lens to any owner of a Sony alpha or 5D/7D.
[URL=http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2071918930061604863gQvYLT][IMG]http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/10570/2071918930061604863S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
reviews found: 37    1 2 >>