Tamron AF 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II A-mount lens reviews

price paid:$115 nearly new
positive:Price paid
Performance for the $
Range
negative:old style focus system(slower and loud )
extending the lens is not particularly smooth
low light performance
comment:Got this lens in superb condition for a vg price and after a few days of use, it's a keeper.
It doesn't do any one thing very well, but it does a lot of things good enough...
The SAL55200 is better in focus and performance, but it's not as useful for a walk around lens. For the price , I'll take this tammy outside without worry..
You'd think that it would be garbage based on some other reviews, but that's not my opinion at all. Understand this is not a premium lens. Get it for a lens you can use over a very useful range and not worry about..
reviewer#11564 date: Dec-28-2013
compared to:KM 18-70
Sony 18-55 SAM
Sony 55-200 SAM
price paid:200.00us gift
positive:Quick focus, great colors, smooth zoom.
Fits and looks great, mounted on my A57.
negative:None yet, still testing.
comment:Received as a gift for Christmas, but out of the gift wrap experience is excellent. Needed a vacation/travel lens, slightly heavier than the 55-200, but this range is more versatile. The build is excellent for $200.00 bargain lens. I would recommend this as a travel lens, for sure. Looks like it belongs on my A57.
reviewer#11273 date: Jul-28-2013
compared to:Minolta 70-210 f4
price paid:$150 (open box)
positive:Versatile zoom range, relatively light, inexpensive
negative:images frequently bland, annoying barrel distortion at wide angle
comment:I bought this as a "tourist" lens and it does well at that. It is not a good everyday lens, but is quite useful in situations where you can't carry a lot of gear, and don't know what to expect as far as what you have to photograph.

Barrel distortion wide open is annoying, and photographs tend to look bland, muted, and desaturated. Even with PP, I can't get the same colors I get from Minolta glass.

In all, it is a somewhat mediocre lens, but at times it is the right lens for the job, especially in a situation where you only want to carry one light lens with a wide range of zoom settings.
reviewer#11192 date: Jun-12-2013
cheap feel
cheap build
colors sometimes washed out
major zoom creep!
comment:If it wasn't for this being on sale while a $40 rebate was also going I probably would have bought something different. I have owned this lens since early 2010 and it has served me well, If I would have known how much better classic original Minolta glass was I might not have learned as much as I did because I had to compensate for the drawbacks of this lens.
reviewer#10929 date: Feb-19-2013
negative:Zoom creep
Noisy AF
Slow AF
Bad low light
comment:I cannot recommend this lens more for beginners on a budget. With its massive range, it has so many uses. However, as my photography skills progress I came to realize many of this lens's downfalls. For example, this lens performs horribly in low light. Also, the auto focus is obnoxiously loud and slow.

With that being said, I still really loved this lens. It is great for beginners to get their feet wet, but more advanced photographers should probably look elsewhere.
reviewer#10414 date: Jul-30-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 35-70 F3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 35-105 Beercan
Pentacon 50/1.8 (M42)
price paid:100 euro
positive:Good walk around range
negative:zoom creep
"flat" colors
comment:I bought this one with the A300 body. So it actually was my first lens.
After finding out about Dyxum (tipped by a frend)I was shocked to see the low score.
Always thought my pics looked nice, although it struck me that I always had to adjust colors in Lightroom a bit.
Color rendering of the Tamron is a bit "flat". Especially when compared to the M42 Pentacon, of which the pics are good "as shot", without any post-processing.

For the price (you can buy it NEW for 189 euros) it is a good lens. Other lenses cost double, so this one not being as good as a 400 euro lens is fairly understandable.

Still I like to use it, even after I bought the beercan 35-105, which I chose from the Dyxum list because of its high rating. Sure, the Minolta is better.

When out on trips, this range is more than I need, I hardly go over 150mm, but the 18 on the other side is a big plus!

I don't think it is as bad as most people say it is. It's cheap, and it's a good learning tool for beginners like me!
Also: you get to learn the value of better lenses, if you use this one as a benchmark.

But then again: I am a beginner, but I am not the only one. So if you start taking pictures and want cheap learning tools, get this one!
reviewer#10146 date: Apr-25-2012
positive: handy
nice as a all occasions lens
nice in good light conditions
negative:slow AF losing at 200
62mm filter
at low light not convienient
comment:I get this lens on second hand with my KM D7D i use it on every occasions since that was my only one lens. Nice hood but i dont like 62mm filters cause there is not many of them to attached.
on 200 give some problems but in good light conditions is very accurate.

for the beginning with zooms is very good.
18-200 is awesome since you can use it on every occasion. its plastic nevertheless in hand feels solid.
reviewer#10020 date: Mar-11-2012
compared to:Sony/Minolta 18-70
Sigma 18-125 DC
Sigma 18-250 DC OS
price paid:99.99 GBP new
negative:Could be sharper
Distortion.
comment:For the price and its enormous range, it isn't half as bad as a lot of the previous reviews suggest.

Sharp enough at f8 upto 150mm beyond which needs f10.

Better than the 18-70 at any settings with better flare control, even without the hood.

Most people who buy this will undoubtedly have better glass, but unless you are prepared to pay 2-3 times the amount for the undoubtedly better 18-250s, this makes an adequate general purpose lens where you aren't going to miss a shot by having to change lenses.

There are fine examples of results obtained with this lens on sites such as Pbase and Flickr.
reviewer#9927 date: Feb-12-2012
compared to:Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Tamron 70-300 usd
Sony 35 f1.8; Sony 50 f1.4
positive:Low cost, compact build, focal range, colors, smooth af, good contrast
negative:soft, not for low light
comment:Due to shipping problems, there was a two-month gap between when I bought this lens and when I received it. I bought it without knowing what I was doing. Then, during the wait for its delivery, I read reviews about it on several sites. Based on that, I decided it was a dog lens (I was almost surprised when I didn't hear it barking inside the box when the postman handed it to me.) and that I should sell it as soon as it got it.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I opened the package and put it on my camera in spite of my resolutions to sell it without opening it. Long story short: I'm gonna keep it.

This lens is not as sharp or as fast as ANY of the alternatives I listed above. Any one of them takes a better photo than it does.

BUT, it cost $200, new, which I see as a legitimate factor. For instance, I gave it a 5 on build because I think it's an excellent build for a $200 lens. If it had cost $500 or more, I would have downgraded the build. It's compact, has a smooth af, produces great colors, is reasonably fast from 18-50mm and takes good enough photos for private use over a large focal range.

There's a big difference between it and any of the others in terms of the details it catches, especially when you use it at the extreme end of its focal length. If you severely crop a photo taken with it and then enlarge it, you won't like the results. It's not as good as any of the other lenses I've listed at what they do. But they don't have the ability to do what this lens does, which is a passable job of a little bit of everything. This lens makes my a55 perform like a point and shoot on steroids.

There's a place for that.
reviewer#9852 date: Jan-27-2012
compared to:Tamron SP 24-135
Sigma 18-125
price paid:NZD200 used
positive:Compact
Lightweight
Great value!
negative:Barrel distortion at wide end
Vignetting at wide end
Lens "creep" if you forget to lock the lens
Soft
Plastic mount
comment:I bought this lens used in December 2011 for NZD200. At this price, I could not pass it up. I got it as an alternative travel lens to my Sigma 18-125 to give me a bit more reach.

It is a great walkaround lens. I am still getting used to its foibles so, no doubt, I will update this review at some later stage. I agree with the other reviews that images are sharper when stopped down. Very soft wide open. Barrel distortion can be really annoying at the wide end - quite different to the Sigma 18-125 ... but, then again, this is an 18-200.

To me, this is a very good value lens so far. Only time and use will tell whether I will prefer the Sigma to this one as a travel lens. However, I'm not such a great fan of the plastic mount.

For everyday use, I still prefer the Tamron SP 24-135.
reviewer#9809 date: Jan-18-2012
compared to:SAL 18250
positive:- Budget travel lens
negative:- Poor performance
comment:Sharpness is not up to expectation. Trade it after bring in SAL 18250.
reviewer#9527 date: Oct-23-2011
compared to:minolta 50mm
Sigma 10-20mm
price paid:200 euro new
positive:good allround lens
affordable
negative:Noisy pictures when zoomed in further then 120mm.
Limited apeture
comment:My very first lens on my A300. I've learned alot while using this lens. A great walk about lens for one who can't afford more expensive glass......
I use this lens for 70% of all my photos taken.
reviewer#9328 date: Aug-12-2011
Light
negative:Not so sharp
Colors
Slow AF
comment:This is the lens i always have in my bag. I travel a lot and i need one universal lens this is the one i use untill i buy 18-270. The worst thing is that it's slow in dark.
reviewer#9305 date: Aug-6-2011
compared to:Sony 18-55 SAM
Tamron 70-300 Di2
Minolta 28/2.8
price paid:£100 ( ebay - SH)
positive:Lite-weight
compact
great range - perfect for situations where u need flexibility, yet ease of transport.
negative:SOFT
Not well sealed against dust
comment:Range, will cover most situations and means you can have your holiday requirements covered without breaking your back carrying all your kit around with you.
Can be had for £169 which is a good price, specially compared to the 18-250 where your looking north of £350 - however, the rest of the comments in this review may well explain why......

SOFT - and i mean really soft. as an example, i shot a wedding with this mounted to a a580 and an a300 with a monolta 28/2.8. Bearing in mind the a300 has a CCD at 10 megapixles, whlst the a580 is an up to date body with a 16MP CMOS sensor, yet the a300 pictures were detailed and sharp and blew the 580 with this lens out of the water. Ive seen sharper masrhmellows then this lens!

Colours don't POP like older minolta glass
Also, my copy has quiet a lot of dust, seems hyperzooms like this act as dust vacuums.

The pricing on this lens is attractive but the results ultimately frustrate, to the point where even the flexibility of the range fails to quell the disappointment when you get the images back on to the screen.

The real frustration is that price dosent have to mean poor quality, just look at the Tamron 70-300 di2 - a lens that can be brought new at £109 - criminally cheap in the world of photography, yet, nasty CA aside, that lens delivers images worthy of glass priced WAY above it's pricing. Ultimately, i cant recommend this lens, i would recommend you either pay more for the 18-250 Or 18-270, or alternatively, grab a tammy 70-300 Di2 and a 18-55 sam combo, which, will deliver much better results for about the same price as this lens new.
reviewer#7465 date: May-21-2010
compared to:sony 18-70 kit
tokina 24-70 2.8
tamron 70-300
tamron 70-200 2.8
price paid:220 euro (new)
positive:range, size-weight, all arround, cheap
negative:af (speed, sound, feel, etc exept accuracy), optical and built quality
comment:the lens thal will cover a 1-10day trip without any other glass. it does it all but is right below the average in everithing. great replacement for the kit lens. sometimes makes your dslr operate as a p&s
reviewer#6569 date: Dec-12-2009
compared to:- SAL 55-200mm
- Minolta 28-135mm
positive:- Great range
- Great price
- Better than average "macro"
- non-rotating filter ring with petal hood (uncommon for a "value" lens)
- Pretty OK all around
negative:- Barrel distortion on the wide end
- Needs to be stopped down for optimal sharpness
- Max aperture of f6.3 starts early in zoom range
- CA
- "Bokeh" is a little "busy"
comment:I have the Promaster version, which is identical save for a different grip on the zoom ring and 'Promaster' branding. The complete name seems to be "Promaster Digital XR EDO AF Aspherical LD IF 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 MACRO." With all those modifiers, and from a trusted brand like Promaster (for both pros *and* masters), you know it's going to be awesome.

This lens isn't nearly the disaster some people make it out to be. On the 200mm end, it's soft but not unbearably so wide open. Stopping down to F/8 helps with sharpness but not as much with CA, which is visible away from center in high contrast shots; it's not that bad though, and is better than the beercan.

On the wide end there's some barrel distortion up through the 'normal' range. Center sharpness is OK wide open, but corner sharpness suffers and there's a touch of vignetting. Stopping down one stop sharpens things up and eliminates the vignetting.

It back focused a bit with my A200 but focus is much better (and faster) on the A700.

The SAL 55-200mm is a better performer throughout the same range, but not by enough to justify carrying both. This has become my go-to daytime walkabout lens due to its sheer flexibility.

Note that there are at least 4 differently branded versions of this lens design that I am aware of: Tamron, Promaster, Sony, and Konica Minolta. If you're looking for it, be sure to pick up the cheapest one as they should be the same optically.
reviewer#6435 date: Nov-23-2009
compared to:Tamron 18-250
Sony SAM 50 f1.8
Sony SAL 18-70 (kit lens)
price paid:209 EUR (new)
positive:Low price
Great focal range
negative:Not sharp at all
Slow focusing
Misfocus very often
Poorly saturated colors
comment:This is a very lousy lens. It has a very low price, but do not fool yourself. It will proove useless.
You will find yourself having to process most of your pictures to saturate the colors and improve sharpness.
It delivers quite the same poor quality you get from the Kit Lens delivered by Sony on the Alfa 200, 300 and 350 models.
I returned this lens and changed it for the Tamron 18-250 (read my review). It costs twice as much, but it will be some very well paid money.
reviewer#6116 date: Sep-25-2009
price paid:160 €
positive:Focus range, overall quality, price.
negative:Not so sharp
comment:I bought this lens as an universal one to avoid frequent changes. If you ask me would I do it again, the answer is yes. The lens appeared to be over my expectations and perfectly suitable to be a journey companion. I agree, the lens is not as good as many expensive models produced to meet highly professional needs, but it would be not fair even to compare them. Perfect price/quality investment.
===================================
One year approximately passed since my first posting here and I can easily confirm. This lens is a perfect assistant to keep vacation memories. I have nothing to complain about.
reviewer#5638 date: Jul-3-2009
acceptable sharpness below 100mm
negative:Distortions
Sharpness above 100mm
Collects dust inside.
comment:Good lens for general use. Convenient one lens solution when you have no time to change lenses.

Better than some reviews suggests. Can provide good results if used (stopped down) properly:
Sharp in 30-70mm range, can be stopped down 1/2 stop
Softish at 18mm-24mm should be stopped down at least to 5.6
After 90mm stopping down at least to F8 is recommended
At 200mm should be stopped down to F11.

Lens had to be better sealed - when lens barrel extends during zooming (and it extends a lot), it can suck dust particles inside. My lens had decentering problem, was less sharp at left side at wide angles.

Optically comparable to 18-70 kit lens, at the same focal lengths 18-200 has faster F stops, kit lens is F5.6 at 35mm, tamron gets F5.6 at 70mm.
reviewer#4139 date: Sep-27-2008
compared to:50 1.7
kit 18-70
Sigma 105 2.8 Macro
price paid:399 USD new
positive:one lens covers an amazing range
compact & light weight
zoom lock
Sturdy lens cap and hood
Short minimum focus distance
negative:slow and noisy focus gearing
poorly sealed from dust
achromatic abbreviation
not full frame ready
comment:I just sold this lens and beginning to miss it because it's greatest strength was its versatility and compactness. Which made it the ideal one lens solution when wanting to travel light. I now have to carry 3 lenses to cover it's range, granted that the 3 lens are better performers at there given focal length than the Tamron. I'd say this lens is best suited for those who aren't pixel peepers and don't have need or budget for better glass.
reviewer#3314 date: Feb-27-2008
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:20 2.8 Minolta; 28-70 2.8 g Minolta; 50 1.4 Minolta; 80-200 2.8 g Minolta
price paid:395 euro
positive:Versatile, wide range from 18 tot and including 200; acceptable results
negative:No use for speedy subjects such as sports, animals and the like; needs lots of light to have acceptable results;
comment:I use this lens if I don't want to carry lots of lenses with me. I stick my Minolta 50 1.4 in my pocket for low light purposes and fire and shoot away; of course my other lenses are better but sometimes a pain to carry around. As general lens recomended.
reviewer#2512 date: Jul-5-2007
price paid:350€
positive:Great range. Very versatile lens.
Good sharpness in center.
Colours are rather good.
negative:Extremely slow in focussing. Very noisy.
Very soft in corners.
comment:It is a great walkaround lens. No need to change lenses. However, it is really slow in focussing to a point you sometimes lose the shot. It makes a lot of noise. In low light it is rather useless. It doesn't focus and keeps hunting. Especially when zooming in, it can't focus anymore.

For most holiday pictures it is probably good enough. It is handy because of it's range. From 40-160 mm approximately it is fairly good.
At 200 mm the pictures tend to get les sharp.

The sharpness in the center is good enough when stopped down a bit and when not in extreme wide-angle or telezoom. However in 28 mm, which I use quite a lot, the sharpness in the corners is very bad. It is really too soft.It gets better near the centre, but is never really sharp.
Details are really blurry. I really miss biting sharpness.
I have sold the lens after 7 months because I was really frustrated to the point I wanted to buy a Nikon. With the 16-80 however, I'm really satisfied.
reviewer#2180 date: Apr-19-2007
price paid:350 eur (new)
positive:all around outdoors
negative:Slow AF and has problems in low light.
comment:
Good zoom range
negative:Could be sharper
Hunts in low light
Slow
comment:I got this lens at an clearance sell for 100.00USD which was a steal. Good walk around lens if you going to be outside taking pictures all day. Don't have worry about changing lens a lot an getting dust on the sensors. I hate the 6.3 range, but stopped down between f8 to f11 you can get some decent shots.
reviewer#1574 date: Dec-26-2006
price paid:399 (NEW)
positive:Covers a great range of focal lengths, nice price, great for landscape photography, sharp at F8, and handles okay.
negative:Slow AF and not great in low light. Does not work on film. Focusing ring action is not very smooth. Not that sharp, particularly at the corners, below f 5.6 or so.
comment:This is a nice all purpose lens for outdoor shooting when you can't cart around all your lenses. A jack of all trades but a master of none. Covers a great range of focal lengths and takes some really nice pictures at the right f stop. It is not a good lens for most indoor circumstances and doesn't focus fast in anything but bright light but it is a reaonable all-around lens and is a good value now on the used market.
reviewer#1371 date: Nov-2-2006
compared to:minolta 18-70 Kit Lens
Sigma 70-300 APO
price paid:269 sterling
positive:Good Range
Nice walkaround lens
negative:Not great at 200
Had problems in low light
comment:I bought this for the explict reason of needing a good walkaround / vacation lens so that I would no annoy my wife on Honeymmon ;-). Proved to be a very versitile performer with the large zoom range proving invaluable. I'm not convinced by the quality of the images compared to the Sigma I own but there is a trade off for this kind of zoom you have to be prepared to make. I would recommend this on that basis.
reviewer#1066 date: Aug-6-2006
compared to:Tamron 28-200 XR-IF
positive:Light and sturdy body, good lens quality, closest focussing distance of ~1.4ft.
negative:Too "plasticky," I doubt if it can withstand harsh climate conditions (e.g. extreme heat or cold).
comment:The 18-200mm seems to be at par with its older brother (the 28-200mm) and retains the same optical quality and build. The light body makes it an ideal lens for travelling. There is slight distortion at the widest end (not meant for architectural work). Picture is very-very sharp (set your sharpness level to 0, or +1 at the most) and colors are well saturated (some clipping and CA occurs if you've set your camera's saturation to +2). Bokeh is not much of a desire here, not too pleasant compared to the primes). Avoid hand-held shooting at the longest end (200mm) with slow speed to avoid blurry and soft images (in my case, I can still shoot handheld at 1/80s). This is not a fast lens, so don't expect the same performance of a Minolta 80-200 f2.8 lens. In this case, the pre-focussing technique proves useful in capturing fast moving subjects.
reviewer#956 date: Jun-29-2006
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Minolta 18~70 & 100~300. Tokina 28~135 & Minolta 28~105.
positive:Valuable all around lens both indoors and out. Light weight and reasonably priced.
negative:Slow to focus in low light at long range. Need to shoot at ƒ/8 or less for best sharpness.
comment:Finally moving to a DSLR, the kit 18~70 just didn't cut it. Having used Tamron lenses since 1973 (38~100 adaptall), I knew that for my needs I would get a quality lens. Did a great job of recording my school's indoor 8th grade closing exercise with a 5600 flash. Great travel lens except for lack of a 24mm (equivalent) range which would probably make it too expensive. Feels like Tamron designed it for the 5D's weight as it is almost perfectly balanced. The ability to zoom from wide shots to far away objects without having to switch lenses is a lifesaver. Final results allows me to end up with great prints up to 11X14 without correction is admirable. Very reasonably priced lens which I highly recommend.
reviewer#742 date: May-1-2006
compared to:Canon 18-55,
positive:Perfect daylight travel lens
negative:Slow
comment:I had this on a 300d and liked the lens a lot, I may get another as it is extreamly usefull range but the new Tokina goes a bit wider so Im waiting to see what that is like. It is on the better than ok side of things quality wise better than the Canon kit but not the KM kit.
reviews found: 33    1 2 >>