Sigma 24mm Super Wide II F2.8 A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 68    1 2 3 >>
reviewer#11756 date: Apr-7-2014
compared to:Minolta 24mm F2.8
price paid:100USD
positive:Excellent sharpness, even opened. Color - good. Cheep!
comment:Quantarrey version. Sharpness in the center at open aperture better then Minolta 24mm F2.8 . In corners and in clothed apertures paritet. More cheep then Minolta! Short MDF.
reviewer#11647 date: Jan-30-2014
compared to:Sigma 18mm
Sony 18-70mm
Minolta 17-35mm
positive:Cheap solidly constructed lens looks like it will be very robust
It is quite small and takes little room in your bag or pocket
I have found colour and sharpness to be very good no sun to test flare roll on summer
negative:The Zen finish had gone very sticky felt nasty and I have cleaned it off that's about it negative
comment:I like this lens it takes up so little space yet feels really solid and well built AF works fine on A350 and A450 and I don't have any issues with the other functions on the camera
It has produced some nice results for me
reviewer#11607 date: Jan-14-2014
- Marco
- Mirror box distance meter
- Affordable price
- Metal built body
negative:- Slow and noisy focus mechanism
comment:This lens could project super high resolution images, support up to about 20MP (since tested on 24MP got a little bit soft side result at f/7.1). Compare with the Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens you could got an overall image quality upgrade; but the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-5.6 got slightly better resolution results at 24mm f/7.1.

My lens copy was got front focus problem on DSLR-A350, unless forced focus point on the center cross point could be got nice accurate results.
reviewer#11582 date: Jan-4-2014
compared to:Minolta 24-50/4
Nikkor 20/2.8 AF-D
Nikkor 35/2 AF-D
positive:Really fast and quiet AF
Contrasty and color accurate
Distortion characteristics are very easy to correct if need be
Small lens with hood to protect front element
Super inexpensive on used market, image quality of lenses 3x to 4x price
negative:Paper thin focus ring, not great for follow focus in video mode
Lens hood is not sturdy
Some purple CA fringing on trees contrasted against he sky.
comment:I bought this sleeper lens on ebay when I needed a higher quality lens than my Minolta AF 24-50/4 (which I also use as a kit lens for travel). Mostly needed it for professional-grade candids at events without requiring much correction for distortion or color, mostly used at f8 with bounce strobe on a Stroboframe bracket. As a WA prime lens, it excels and produces really nice contrasty images, even in panorama mode. Since it is really small, it does not attract attention and fits nicely in a small lens compartment in my Domke bag. I have not tried it on a full-frame camera and rarely use it to shoot wide open, but for my purposes, it behaves nicely and requires little in the way of correction.
reviewer#11508 date: Nov-28-2013
compared to:Minolta 24-85mm
Minolta 24mm 2.8
positive:All-round-go focal length (36mm) on APS-C.
negative:None found.
comment:Everything is good for this focal length: focal length itself, colors, sharpness. Of course, some issues with distortion and this is easily corrected with Lightroom.
Build quality is also great. Though maybe not bulletproof and underwater designed :)
Nice sharp lens with pale Sigma colors. Good as main lens on APS-C 1.5x cropped cameras. Enough for landscaping. What else?
reviewer#11347 date: Sep-23-2013
positive:
comment:Some time ago I reported that this lens did not function on the A77, and so it appeared at the time. It must have been not fully connected however, because just as I was preparing to sell it, I noticed another poster said that he had successfully tested it on that camera, and on re-testing it myself, I find that it does indeed work correctly. I must therefore apologise to anyone who was thereby influenced not to buy the lens - I know there was one person at least.
reviewer#11022 date: Apr-7-2013
compared to:Sony 18-70 kit
Sony 16-50 2.8
Minolta 28-85 (on film)
Minolta 28mm 2.8 Rokkor (on film)
Minolta 35mm 2.8 Rokkor (on film)
price paid:N/A
positive:compact
sharp wide open
IQ
Lens Flare
negative:Fiddly hood.
comment:My partner inherited this lens from her father. It was in very good, almost as new condition. I don't know how much he paid for it.

Back in my manual focus film days my favourite lens was the 35mm Rokkor, which was hardly ever off my Minolta XD7, so it made sense to check out how this performed on my a100 (equivalent to 36mm on APS c). I was disappointed that results mostly seemed to be out of focus on this body.

I got better results on film (Dynax 7), and so I assumed it was some incompatibility issue with the a100. Results on film showed good colour and contrast and very little distortion, I thought.

In theory a "prime" fixed focal length lens ought to out perform a zoom at the equivalent focal length, and so out of curiosity I've made some brief comparisons on the A77 with the 24mm & 16-50 at the equivalent focal length using a tripod to take images of the same subject.

There's not much in it. As far as I can see, distortion and sharpness are very similar and the colour rendition is much the same, with little CA. The Sigma showed a greater tendency to flare when the sun is in or just outside the frame. I think this is to do with it's less modern coating, and maybe because it was designed to be used with film rather than digital sensors. Some of you might like to experiment with this kind of effect which can give a sort of "vintage" feel to digital images. Using a "French flag" made a big difference (that is a piece of stiff card held just above or to the side and just out of frame). The supplied hood is fiddly and not much use really.

A worthwhile focal length on both APS-C and film if you're on a budget. There's a group dedicated to this lens on FLICKR so you can see for yourself. I'd give this a lens a thoroughly recommended status.

reviewer#10991 date: Mar-26-2013
price paid:35 eur
positive:rapporto qualità prezzo eccezionale
negative:rivestimento gommoso che si screpola con il tempo
comment:è un ottimo obiettivo, molto luminoso e con un giusto campo visivo, i colori sono molto vivaci anche se non sublimi come quelli minolta, le distorsioni sono ben controllate! se si riesce ad acquistare sotto i 100 euro è un buon affare!!
reviewer#10951 date: Feb-28-2013
compared to:Minolta 24mm 2.8
positive:Fast Lens
Focal Length
Metal Build
negative:Lens Distortion
Chromatic Aberration at 2.8
Lens Flare
comment:This lens is a great value. It comes in a few different incarnations all made by Sigma under various names. Such as Quantary. The lens works very well with the a77 and the a700. It has some lens flare issues but if you add a lens hood to it, it really helps avoid this problem. The distortion is a bit more difficult to fix. I usually fix it in post processing. The CA also gets fixed in pp. It has a metal barrel and all metal components except the rubberized focusing ring. If you run across it for under $200.00 USD it's a good buy. It's a nice lens when you're shooting video on the cropped sensors. A useful focal length in general.
reviewer#10856 date: Jan-15-2013
compared to:Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG Asp RF
Nice colours
negative:The AF on mine sounds like a washing machine washing a bag of spanners.
24mm isn't the most useful focal length on APS-C.
comment:I got this when I didn't have much cash available for lenses. It looks and sounds like a dog but it performs really well.

To be honest it gives my much more expensive 20mm f1.8 a run for its money in image quality.

It is a great close up lens if you don't have a macro for static subjects.

Mine didn't have a hood but have never noticed any flare issues with it. However, I've not really tried to push it to its limits.

If you don't have a lot of cash then this lens is easily worth its modest price.
reviewer#10783 date: Dec-14-2012
compared to:Minolta 28 F2.8
Tamron/Tokina 19-35 F3.5-4.5
price paid:$50/20/30 USD (used)
positive:Metal build is awesome.
Seems pretty wide even on APS-C.
Close-focusing is a treat.
negative:Noisy focus (some copies more than others).
Some copies' paint is sticky.
comment:Good lens for WAY cheaper than the Minolta 24mm.

Sigma and Quantaray versions are literally identical with different branding printed.

Sticky can be cleaned off with elbow grease and alcohol, petroleum jelly, or if you are in a hurry and don't mind rubbing off all the markings, acetone.

I bought an old version of this that says 'Focus Aid & Programmable' and it turns out to be unrecognized on Sony bodies. I use this copy as a reverse macro lens now and it is fairly sharp wide open with maybe 3:1 magnification. Starts to hit some significant diffraction at about 1/2 stopped down.
reviewer#10140 date: Apr-23-2012
compared to:SAM 18-55, SAL 18-70
price paid:n/a
positive:Small, strong lens. Wide angle, great sharpness and performs very well with long shutters and small diaphragms during night.
negative:Solar cap isn't attached the smartest way, doesn't prevent from raindrops on the lens.
comment:Good lens to start practising with prime lenses. I don't have found any flare on night photographs I made with it.
reviewer#10005 date: Mar-8-2012
price paid:110 EUR
positive:+ small
+ light
+ good performer
+ sharper than zoom lenses
+ FF compatible
negative:- infinity focus was off
- loud AF
- hood is fiddly
comment:Stellar little lens!
It's the size of the 50/1.7.
The quality was weird at first, but then I discovered that the lens only focused to about 10m. So I took it apart and adjusted the mechanical infinity limit. It's now sharp in the centre from wide open! And at F/5.6 or F/8 this lens is corner to corner sharp on film or FF.
It also makes a very good street lens on APS-C, and I really enjoy going on city walkabouts with this lens mounted on my APS-C cameras.
For this price I recommend it to anyone who wants to taste a prime lens. Just make sure that your infinity focus is OK!
reviewer#9982 date: Feb-29-2012
compared to:KM 17-35mm
minolta 24mm
Little distortion
Compact & light
good build
negative:coarse gearing
prone to flare
comment:First impressions:

A little soft wide open, but sharpens up quickly as you stop down. Given I'll mostly be using it at around f8 for landscapes/buildings sharpness will not be an issue.

Distortion is well controlled, the colours are nice but lack the punch of minolta and have a slight yellow cast.

It's well built but the AF gearing sounds coarse. Like many other sigma lenses I've tried it seems to be relatively prone to flare.

For the money, absolute bargain for FF users. It's so compact & light it's practical to keep in your bag.

EDIT: had the chance to compare it with a minolta 24mm, the 2 are very similar but the minolta has slightly sharper edges and nicer colour
reviewer#9921 date: Feb-12-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 50/1.7 RS
Minolta AF 35-70/4
price paid:about 60€ (used)
positive:+ very nice sharpness/colors
+ build quality
+ good magnification (1:4)
negative:- hood
- AF loud
comment:I like the pictures and the build of this lens very much. Unfortunately the hood is very fragile. Light from the side is an issue - especially for night shots.

The AF is quite noisy (and sounds a bit mechanical) - especially with faster focus motor (A500) ... and when it is cold. Might be an issue of my copy?
reviewer#9801 date: Jan-17-2012
1:4 magnification
Small & Light
In my case... cheap!
negative:Can't think of any
comment:Excellent walk around lens, until now, as I just got Sony 35mm/1.8. So now it will compete for time.
reviewer#9797 date: Jan-17-2012
compared to:Minolta 28mm f2.8
price paid:100 EUR
positive:sharp, small, good build quality
negative:flare
comment:perfect angle of view for street photography. the colours are ok, but i like the colours of the minolta 28mm better.
reviewer#9631 date: Nov-26-2011
positive:
comment:This lens does not function with the Sony SLT A77 camera, although it works perfectly on the A700. Later edit: I now find this to be untrue. The lens must not have been completely seated in the mount. It actually works perfectly.
reviewer#9412 date: Sep-12-2011
compared to:Minolta af: 28-135,28-85, 28mm,100mm 2,8 macro, 50mm macro. Old
positive:Small and solid. Exellent sharpness on fullframe. Also good colours.(Though not Minolta...) Good macro.
negative:On my a500: massive backfocus. Too little contrast and flat colour rendering. Flares too much.
comment:On a850 it is simply a pleasure....Especially from 5,6. Razorsharp. At least as sharp as-probably a shade sharper than dediceted macro lenses like Min.af 100mm and old legendary Tokina ("Bokina") 90mm 2,5) at close focus. Bought therefore another one in reserve.. Surprised me negative on Aps-c. (a500). Massive backfocus,have to focus manually. (With both lenses). Partly a camera problem(some of Minolta lenses gives a shade of the same problem.-since sonys aps-c cameras lack of microfocus adjustments it is a big problem-at least with this lens. Also little contrast with dull colours. In my experience a lens with to faces,depending on camera. The ratings are for a850.
reviewer#9411 date: Sep-12-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Minolta af: 28-135,28-85, 28mm,100mm 2,8 macro, 50mm macro. Old Tokina At-x 90mm 2,5(with adapter)
price paid:150USD
comment:On a850 it is simply a pleasure....Especially from 5,6. Razorsharp. At least as sharp as-probably a shade sharper than dediceted macro lenses like Min.af 100mm and old legendary Tokina ("Bokina") 90mm 2,5) at close focus. Bought therefore another one in reserve.. Surprised me negative on Aps-c. (a500). Massive backfocus,have to focus manually. (With both lenses). Partly a camera problem(some of Minolta lenses gives a shade of the same problem.-since sonys aps-c cameras lack of microfocus adjustments it is a big problem for me-at least with this lens. Also too little contrast with dull colours. In my experience a lens with to faces,depending on camera. The ratings are for a850. On this it is a bargain.
reviewer#9288 date: Jul-31-2011
close focus
3d ness
bokeh
price
negative:Its a sigma so it will probable go wrong at some point
flares more than modern lenses
comment:Wanted a 24mm prime but mino24's are expensive here, so
took a risk with an old sigma,TBH wasn't expecting very much.Boy was I wrong! this lens is just fantastic.The sharpness and colour both stand out in nearly every picture.
Its perfect for landscape, close ups, street shooting.From 5ins to infinity. Usable wide open but by F4 is super sharp. Bokeh is nice for a wide angle. By F5.6 vitually everything is in focus so its great for street shots. Images have a real lucidity and 3d ness to them,To my eyes it blows away the well regarded sony 35 F1.8,it's sharper with far more natural colours.
I have now bought another,which is just as good.
so two for less than one min 24mm costs!
Both mine focus fairly quietly and quickly, and it is always
dead accurate.I always rated my min35-105 as my best buy,not any more, this even beats that for colour.
For the price, in my opinion there is no better bargain for A-mount primes
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
reviewer#9162 date: Jun-20-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:17-70 kit, Mino 28/2.8 Mino 24-105d Mino 28-85.
price paid:GBP 85
positive:Macro-ish, all metal build, mines quite usable wide open.
I do like the easy on/off of the 'perfect' hood. Small & drops in a pocket nicely.
negative:can be a little mechanically coarse at times when focusing. The 'perfect' hood, shame its perfectly useless at shading of the front element.
comment:
Well as the only relatively affordable alternative to the Min 24 I must say i am pleased with mine, got this from a Dutch member.thanks Dirk ;-)

Cant say as mine is particularly smooth in the AF, this lens is no classic Min prime in the construction dept. Although to be fair it seems to focus accurately if a little slow compared to my 28/2.8 but this is a lens with macro-ish close focusing. And as others have stated it hits infinity at 3.5-4 metres, so mostly the end to end focus churning is rare unless, it loses lock.

Colour, well I like the slightly hard blue/green seems to work better than the 28 when looking for jpeg's out of the camera, 'vivid' comes out a touch underdone which is how I prefer them. Flare is bearable, loses contrast rather than picking up purple ghosting etc. Things are much improved with a proper rubber folding hood.

All in all a keeper i think until pennies are gathered (if ever :-() for a Tam 17-50, if you can pick one up for a reasonable price then you shouldnt hesitate, they seem to be getting a little more pricey too.

Alan
reviewer#8934 date: Apr-16-2011
compared to:Sigma 20mm f/1.8
Sigma 28mm f/1.8 (old version)
Minolta 28mm f/2.8
price paid:65 USD (clearance)
positive:+ sharp across the frame (APS-C)
+ compact, light
+ metal build
+ low distortion (APS-C)
+ mine works with A55
+ value/money
negative:- AF a little noisy
- clip-on hood a bit clumsy
comment:I had this lens on film since probably 1991, loved it but sold it b/c it didn't get much use with the A200. When Ritz closed some stores I picked up a new Quantaray version which turned out to be my favorite walk around prime. It's the same size as a 50mm but with its angle of view being much more versatile. It is a little weaker in the corners on film / FF but almost perfect on APS-C. Currently I put it on my A55 whenever I don't want to carry a zoom. No SLT compatibility issues so far.
reviewer#8542 date: Jan-18-2011
quick af
lightweight
negative:flare
cheap build
comment:got this lense today off flea bay,what a little gem it is,sharp,quick focus and mine really is in mint condition and quiet autofocus.took a few pics today and very impressed,they seem too be selling for a bit more money now but i dont regret a penny of it,money well spent.great colour and sharpness,although mine didnt come with a hood so will try an source something to stop the flare,if you can get one cheap enough i doubt you will be dissapointed.
reviewer#8525 date: Jan-15-2011
compared to:Minolta 28mm F2.8
Minolta 50mm F1.7
Minolta 24mm F2.8
positive:Razor sharp stopped down a bit
Small MFD
Build Quality
negative:AF noise a bit loud but quiets down if you oil the gears a bit
Hood cannot be stored in reverse
comment:Very nice and sharp lens with close focusing capability. I shot directly into the sun and also with the sun at the edge of the frame and was surprised that flare was actually controlled very well, unlike some of the experiences of past reviewers. Surprisingly, it worked on my A33 without any aperture error problems! However, the lens couldn't focus to infinity on my A33, only up to about 10m. I have two copies of this lens and both are like this. However, at F8, infinity focus actually appeared quite good because of the increased depth of field. This shows how sharp this lens can be when properly focused, such that even when slightly unfocused, the shots can still appear pretty good!

Update: I had fixed the infinity focus issue thanks to the kind advice from a gentleman here at Dyxum. Now I am having a really sharp 24mm prime! :)

Update 2: I got my 3rd lens (Quantaray version) and it does not focus to infinty as well. I believe most if not all of this Sigma lens would not focus to infinity on the A33/A55. So those of you who buys them off Ebay or other places better take note!

Update 3: I got a Minolta 24mm to compare with this lens using standard shots. Wide open, the Sigma wins in the corners and centers are about the same. At mid apertures (F4-6.3) the Minolta slowly catches up on the corners and the center is very slightly better than the Sigma. By F7.2 it is a tight tug of war between the two with no clear winner. Thats how good this Sigma lens is and definitely gives the Minolta a run for the money.
reviewer#8457 date: Dec-28-2010
price paid:120 EUR
positive:+ relatively sharp from F2.8
+ no noticeable distortion on APS-C
+ nice 1:4 macro feature
+ cheap
negative:- Quirky IQ
- AF is loud
- hood can't be reversed for storage
comment:This was my first lens that I have bought for my KM5D.
It's perfect as a daylight walkaround lens on an APS-C body. (F2.8 isn't really enough for nighttime)
I was lucky and got a brand new version from an online auction - it was never even taken from the box.

On the 5D it's as good as it gets. The AF is loud and clunky but it gets the job done and relatively fast too, and always accurate. The 1:4 macro is just a bonus, but you need to get very close. Pretty much the same for usage on A700.
However sometimes it loses it's cool and produces images that look like they were taken with ISO3200. Sharpness is there but it's like it loses all resolution or something and produces some ultra grain. I don't really know.

The hood is flimsy and can't be stored on the lens in reverse. I rather avoid using it at all. Haven't really gotten any flare so far so I can't judge it.
reviewer#8337 date: Dec-2-2010
positive:Size, price, sharpness
negative:Horrendous AF noise! Paint peels off but that doesn't actually matter.
comment:Wow, a price vs performance comparison of this lens against much more expensive primes - this Sigma must be the winner. Amazingly sharp. I had disassembled the lens to grease the gears but didn't really stop the loud AF grinding sound, I also lost one of the screws inside the body (Will try again soon)!
reviewer#8331 date: Dec-2-2010
compared to:minolta 24 2.8
positive:sharp!
sharp!
sharp!
macro!
comment:super bargain
sharp

negative:Flare
Compatibility
Distortion
AF Drive
comment:This has to be one of the top 10 overall best budget prime lenses available to the Alpha mount. In used condition, these guys are dirt cheap, and you can expect them to last you a lifetime. My copy is very beat up, the rubber focus ring grip has been stripped away, there are a good number of dents and scrapes all around the lens and filter ring, and the distance scale is cracked. However, the lens continued to perform reliably in all weather conditions, ranging from the high desert heat to a thunderstorm.

Image quality is surprisingly good, with sharp centers wide open and great full frame sharpness by f5.6. Chromatic aberration and veiling haze are noticeable wide open, but quickly goes away past f4. Close focus performance is very good as well. Flare can be severe in challenging lighting conditions, but I can't comment on the effectiveness of the stock hood as I don't possess it. Bokeh performance leaves something to be desired, unless you prefer the look from a hexagonal aperture (which I do, under certain circumstances). Moderate barrel distortion is not complex in nature, so you can do software correction relatively easily.

Overall, a solid choice for a beginner / budget minded shooter trying to assemble a starting outfit. In the long run, the lens isn't wide enough or fast enough for me to justify keeping on APS-C, although it has been my primary lens for as long as I've had it. Note the AF drive screw compatibility issues: it's an easy fix if you follow the steps described in the related forum post. That said, you might end up with noisy AF post mod, as in my case.
reviewer#8228 date: Nov-11-2010
compared to:Minolta 24-50
Sigma 12-24
Minolta 24mm f2.8
price paid:190 NZD
great colours
great contrast
negative:CA on full frame
Corner softness on full frame
barrel distortion
comment:This lens performs well on an APS-C sensor but falls short on full frame. Centre sharpness is first class but is markedly corner soft on FF until well stopped down.
On FF there was marked CA in the corners. Stopping down helped a little.
As I am now FF I have sold this lens. I would not recommend this lens for full frame owners. barrel distortion is dissappointing for a prime
reviews found: 68    1 2 3 >>