Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC A-mount lens reviews

width on APSC
negative:edge sharpness
price
not full frame
comment:I have held off on reviewing this lens because I did not have enough wide angle lens options to compare it to. I have used all of the old standard APSC lenses including kit 18-55 and 18-70 so after purchasing a nice tokina 19-35 to use on my A99 I put the two head to head for a day of shooting. I used the 19-35 on A99 and the 10-20 sigma on my A77. I ended up shooting everything from my bookcases inside to outside landscapes. Fences trees anything where I could judge center right through to extreme corner sharpness. Lets start with the positives. This lens is fairly sharp in the center. It allows a very wide 15mm on APSC and has good colour reproduction. Much cooler than the Minolta or Tokina, but still very good. On lowest aperture at 19mm (which I shot for my head to head tests) the results were almost identical to the Tokina with less vignetting. Lets just say both lenses were acceptable wide open not much better. Once you stop the lens down to f8 sharpness improves as expected. When compared to the Tokina the sigma fails significantly at higher apertures. Sharpness in the corners is not very good and I would say poor on the extremes. Yes this is from a pixel peep session so keep that in mind. In all of the real world excursions with this lens I have been satisfied. The real problem I have with this lens is what I paid for it new. The old tokina in EX shape for $100 beats it in terms of sharpness and speed at f3.5
reviewer#11623 date: Jan-20-2014
compared to:Tamron 17-50mm F2,8
Pentax 16-45mm F4
Olympus 12-50mm F3,5-6,3 m4/3
Sony NEX 16-50mm 3,5-5,6
price paid:430€ New
positive:Really good sharpeness for this kind of a super wideangle zoom.
No flare problems, even sun in the picture.
Quite small for this kind of a lens.
negative:Reddish collors, but that's not a big deal.
Distortion can be a problem in architectual pictures, no problem in landscape pictures.
comment:I Lowe this lens, it is surprising good against flare, much better than most of the longer zooms.
This is for sure a lens which I will keep.
reviewer#11485 date: Nov-16-2013
compared to:Sigma 14 f3.5
Sigma 24 f2.8 SWII
Tokina 19-35 f3.5-4.5
price paid:$350 USD (used)
positive:WIDE!
Very solid build quality
Sharp everywhere but the far corners @ 10mm
Great color
Very decent bokeh for an UW zoom
Accepts front mounted filters
Compact and light compared to FF UW zooms
negative:Slow max aperture
A little extra barrel distortion in the corners @ 10mm
Occasionally has low light focusing issues (though much better at this than I expected)
comment:This lens is the cure for your need to go wide on an APS-C sensor camera! OK, so it doesn't have a big enough max aperture for use in really low light and it has some compromises to IQ in the far corners when shot at 10mm (soft, distorted and vignetted)... but then most older UW primes have these same problems and considering that this lens sells for less than $500 new what more could you expect??

I like the images from this lens better than those from the Tokina 19-35 because of the Sigma's more attractive sharpness and color characteristics (I'm not sure that it's really much sharper, but subjectively the images look crisp compared to the Tokina) and it beats the old Sigma 24mm 2.8 prime in everything except max aperture and image "feel". On a digital body the 10-20 *smokes* the Sigma 14mm f3.5 prime in *every* way, it's even slightly lighter!

If you know how to make use of a lens with this range and don't expect it to exceed the IQ of *current* primes or much more costly zooms that cover this range, then you will love this lens!

I would have given 4.5 for build if available, as in a strict sense it *could* be built a bit more sturdily.
reviewer#11306 date: Aug-12-2013
positive:Wide (of course)
Sharp (center)
Color
negative:Distortion
Blur corner
Flare
comment:My first ultra wide angle len,
Can say I'm so satisfied with it but there are something better out there

Flare/Ghost could be a problem

I have focus issue with A500 and A580 (AF often be backfocus, I use MF mostly before I sold it)

Sharp to very sharp result (step down)
reviewer#11195 date: Jun-16-2013
price paid:225 euro
positive:Wide Angle
Well build
negative:Slightly soft
Distortion can be seen, but is no big problem
comment:I like the wide angle at 10mm. Distortion can be seen, but in creative fotography it isn't a problem. Lens can be a bit soft, even stopped down. Overall i do like this lens.
reviewer#10886 date: Jan-31-2013
Sigma 500mm f4.5,
Sigma 10-20mm F4 - 5.6
Sigma 105mm F2.8,
Sigma 85mm f1.4,
price paid:$464 USD (New)
positive:Sharpness, color, build, distortion, & flare is way beyond what I expected when I got this lens.
negative:None
comment:
reviewer#10672 date: Nov-8-2012
compared to:At 18-20 mm it is not as sharp as Sony AF DT 18-55 3.5-5.6
positive:Colors, angle of view. Silent and fast focusing.
negative:Not fully sharp in the cornes wide open but sharpens up at around f=8.
Some vingetting fully open.
Expect flares when sun lits the front lens.
comment:Bought on swedish ebay (tradera) for 1900 SEK, in mint condition.
reviewer#10496 date: Sep-7-2012
price paid:280€ used
positive:sharp
good construccion
negative:no HSM for Sony mount.
comment:my copy is very sharp,it is ideal for landscape .
reviewer#10463 date: Aug-21-2012
compared to:1) Tamron 18-250mm
2) Tokina 28-70mm f2.6
price paid:SGD $800
positive:1) Take great wide landscape photos.
2) Photo is sharp and rich in colour.
3) Price (affordable)
negative:1) Flare (due to the wide angle)
comment:For APS-C camera, I would recommend this great lens. It is light to travel and can easily fit with any other 77mm filter (that be be shared with other lens). If stepping down the aperture, it is capable to take sharp photos. The colour is rich (esp. blue sky) and contrast is ok.

But due to it wide angle, you may experience flare when taking the photo against the sun.

Anyway, is the lens is used for wide landscaping photos, you will be amazed by the performance of this lens.
reviewer#10160 date: Apr-30-2012
compared to:Sony 16-105mm f3.5-5.6
Sony 18-55mm SAM
price paid:£240 (used, like new)
positive:Sharp at all apertures and focal lengths.
Excellent colours and contrast.
fast AF.
Very low levels of distortion and CA for an ultra-wide lens.
Good value.
negative:Worst flare I have ever seen in any lens, ever - don't shoot towards the sun!
comment:I find this lens to be a truly astonishing feat of optical engineering. While I have a rough layman's knowledge of the principles of lens design,I have absolutely no idea how it is possible to manufacture a lens that goes this wide, with such low levels of distortion and CA.

The only blot on the landscape (literally!) is the shockingly bad flare when the sun is shining towards the lens, which can be quite difficult to avoid with a lens that goes this wide and captures so much. I'm still giving it a 3 for flare, as I suspect this is a significant problem with all ultra wide lenses and not a specific issue with the Sigma alone.

It has a very good weight and feels very well put together. I wish I had another ultra-wide lens to compare it to, but I don't. I have quite a number of other lenses that I could compare it to, but is there any point in comparing it to (for example) my 50mm macro? Its probably not as sharp as the macro lens, but just because a Ferrari isn't as fast as a jet, does that make the Ferrari slow? I don't think so.

This lens delivers everything I could want out of an ultra-wide lens and I couldn't be happier with it, especially at what I consider to be a very reasonable purchase price. If only they could control the flare a bit better, it would be near perfect, in my opinion.
reviewer#10008 date: Mar-8-2012
compared to:SAL16-55
Mino18-70
price paid:330GBP new
positive:Versatility
Quick focusing
negative:Not so sharp
Odd distortion profile
comment:Like so many others following a switch from 35mm to APS-C, I simply needed something affordable, versatile and most of all wide. Especially after the abomination that was the 18-70 kit lens. It does the job nicely; doesn't produce the sharpest of images and the colour is a little restrained for my liking but nothing you can't fix in PP if you really want to "make" the shot.

Odd S-shaped distortion at some focal lengths; not easy to correct so I generally don't even bother trying.

Build is outstanding.

I've often thought of selling this and putting the money towards a more capable zoom with a bigger range, but never can bring myself to do so, which must mean I like it.
reviewer#9992 date: Mar-4-2012
Great DoF
Good build quality
Value for money
negative:Nothing significant
comment:I feel that having owned this lens for over 2 years, it’s time I provided a review. While pixel peepers may not consider the lens to be ideal, it is more than adequate when images are viewed at realistic large sizes, say 20” x 30” (50cm x 75cm). On the A77 it performs very well, whereas on the A700 it occasionally mis-focused beyond infinity, which led to unacceptable results.

I find that when shooting at the wide end it is often more convenient to pre-focus manually at the hyperfocal distance and enjoy the enormous depth of field it offers at f/8. Altogether I’m very pleased with its IQ when mounted on the A77.
reviewer#9959 date: Feb-21-2012
compared to:KM 17-35mm
price paid:£300 GBP
positive:amazing wide range
very little distortion
negative:Colours lack punch
comment:Don't let my sharpness rating of 3 put you off, the sharpness of this lens is perfectly usable, it's just that ultra wide lenses simply don't come close to macro sharpness.

Sigma lenses tend to have a warmer yellow cast, while is not bad for people shots (especially indoor) it is not IMHO as well suited for landscape/building shots which this lens is likely to be used for.

Unlike most sigma lenses which I typically find have below average flare control, bizarrely I find sigma's ultra wide lenses (this one and their 12-24mm) seem to be the best in their class for flare resistance.

For it's purpose this is a really decent lens, I recently upgraded to FF and got myself a KM 17-35mm as a alternative, surprisingly the sigma is a little better - the KM was a little better at the long end and the sigma was better at the wide end but surprisingly the sigma had the least distortion.
reviewer#9867 date: Jan-31-2012
price paid:£340.00 GBP
positive:Decent sharpness when stopped down to f/8 or f/11 at all focal lengths. Distortion and vignetting easily correctable with CS5 lens profiles.
negative:Very soft at 10mm, f/4. Slightly, but not much better at 10mm, f/5.6. 15mm & 20mm fine from f/5.6 onwards, though.
comment:I'm very happy with this lens.

Yes, it's soft wide open at 10mm, but I'm sure most people wouldn't prioritise de-focus effects or low light ability with this lens.

I can stop it down to f/8 or f11 at any focal length and get more than acceptable sharpness.
reviewer#9714 date: Dec-24-2011
Perfect color,
strongly build,
works fine on AF
negative:nothing
comment:I`ve bought this lens 6 months old for a bargain and I love it.
The sharpness is superb, in most buildings you can count the bricks. The colors are very narural and the body and build are what you expect from a EX lens.
The 10-20 range is more then enough for a wide-angle, for landscapes and buildings this lens is everything I could ask for.
reviewer#9525 date: Oct-23-2011
compared to:18-200 Tamron
50mm Minolta
price paid:300 euro secondhand
positive:very wide
sharp when stopped down
negative:distortion (on portret photo)
comment:I love wide lenses, this is one that does the trick for me. Sure sharpness and colour could be better, but when I see the effect this lens gives on some of my photo that is just not important.
I use this lens on 15% of all my shots taken.
reviewer#9469 date: Oct-4-2011
positive:IQ
Colors
comment:Very happy with my copy. Work great at 10mm and between 16-20.
Great IQ and colors but must be use at F/8 minimum. For best use, you often need a tripod.
reviewer#9465 date: Oct-2-2011
compared to:Sony 18-55
Sony 50/1.8
Tamron 70-200/2.8
Sony 500mm Reflex
price paid:430€
positive:Build quality
negative:sharpness
comment:I have this lens now for over one year. I am not impressed by it. Sharpness is not good, the 18-55 kitlens is sharper. Even stopping down to F8 doesn't do much. At 10mm IQ is just ok, at 20mm I switch to my Sony lens because it's just better.
Build quality and feel is very high, AF is ok and not too loud.
I am looking to sell this one and buy the Sigma 8-16, which should be better.
reviewer#9237 date: Jul-17-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Tamron 17-50 2.8, Tamron 35-105 2.8, Tokina 28-80 2.8, Beercan, Minolta 200 2.8 HS, Sony 70-300G, Sony 50 1.4, Sony 35 1.8
price paid:260€ mint
positive:Great range and solid construction. Low distorsion and cheap. Good AF.
negative:Not so much sharp at wider apertures. It´snt a fast lens, of course... Flares can be a big problem.
comment:Good quality at f5.6 in all the frame (soft in bigger apertures) and heavy problems with flares, with sun coming in the lens. Well made, low distorsion and low price too, I like it very much.
reviewer#8751 date: Mar-6-2011
compared to:Sony 18-55mm kit lens
price paid:400 Euros
positive:- Gives you a really unique view on things
- Cheapest way to get you a 10mm lens
negative:-AF problems
-Could be sharper
comment:AF problems! If i use AF with this lens the results at 18mm are comparable to the 18-55mm kit lens. If i focus manually results become much sharper. This is because if i focus an object at very large distance the lens will position itself "beyond infinite". In most cases this is no problem if you just focus manually once and keep the lens in this position. Annoying for a not really inexpensive lens.

Not really impressed by the sharpness but decent.

Takes time to learn how to use this lens to your advantage, but fun!
reviewer#8623 date: Feb-7-2011
compared to:Tamron SP AF 11-18 F4.5-5.6 Di II
Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16 F2.8
price paid:210 Euro(used mint)
positive:Very wide
Good build
Good MFD
Good sharpness
Not to much distortion(for a wide)
negative:Not fast enough for inside
comment:I bought this one to replace the Tamron 11-18 which I really didn't like(see my review).

I really liked the Sigma but it wasn't fast enough for inside but great for landscapes.
After using it more than a year with my A350, I bought the A55 and it had the known aperture-problem so I sold it with a profit of 85 Euro's(made the loss on the Tamron good) and bought the Tokina 11-16 2.8 to replace it.

reviewer#8498 date: Jan-8-2011
positive:Price
Sharpness
Versatility
negative:Slight barrel distortion at 10mm
comment:I bought this lens some time ago to regain some of the wide angle capability that was lost when I switched from my full frame Minolta 9xi film camera to the Sony A100 (APS-C) digital camera.
Now I use the Sigma 10-20mm lens mostly with the Sony A700 and more recently with the Sony A77 for landscape photography and photography in tight spaces.
The lens is very sharp with great color reproduction. Distortion is generally well controlled except for some minor barrel distortion at the 10mm end.
In-camera focusing is adequate, and the lack of in-lens optical stabilization is not an issue with such a wide angle lens. Works well with the A77.

reviewer#8344 date: Dec-2-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
positive:Wide, non-rotating front element, range
negative:None
comment:My wife loves this lens! So that makes me happy. Bought from Hong Kong as a grey import, I was worried about QC issues but mine seems fine compared to the reported problems.

Sometimes this lens is amazingly sharp, other times not so. Built-in flash is useless with this so make sure you have an external unit. Makes me want to go wider! Challenges me to compose much better than what I currently do.
reviewer#8296 date: Nov-24-2010
Light
Comparatively inexpensive
negative:AF takes practice
fit and finish
comment: I like the warping of this lens up close on the wide end. this lens does a good job for a very good price and is worth having. Not a really fast lens, but can be made to perform with the right light and angle. Very fun to use.
reviewer#7950 date: Sep-7-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:I have no comparision with such wide-angle
price paid:€ 445 new
positive:nice range
EX quality
hardly any distortion if held horizontally
negative:slightly vignette at 10mm
chromatic aberations
not fast enough
comment:I'm quit enthousiast about this lens. Using it for landscapes (the alps, Dutch skies and polders), sandscapes (dunes, the beach), indoor photography in small rooms and even experimental portraits from high viewpoints.

Works perfectly with the long weddingdresses and low viewpoint. Gives a nice effect.

(The 10-20 3.5 could be my next lens if a good price is offered for this one...) Update: just bought me a f 1.8 - 20mm Sigma for availible light conditions, forget the f 3.5 version.

reviewer#7755 date: Jul-29-2010
compared to:Minolta 50mm 1.7; Sony 28mm 2.8
positive:Great width, lovely colour; sharp (mostly); good build.
negative:Occasional af problems.
comment:An excellent wide lens that sometimes is almost too wide for me; had great success in the Lake District with this. Highly recommended for what that's worth.
reviewer#7579 date: Jun-17-2010
- Dramatic Sky
negative:- Very soft wide open at 10mm
- Considerable distortion
- No HSM
comment:Great lens for the price. This lens will make your cropped sensor feel like a full frame. The angle of view is AMAZING! For the Sony/Minolta A mount there is no HSM.

Can be a little soft wide open but nothing of real concern. Distortion at the edge of the frame but no more than expected for this extreme wide angle (and sometimes cool if you are after that effect)
reviewer#7385 date: May-2-2010
positive:Relatively fast AF
Usable on FF from about 14mm.
negative:Not a very precise AF
It could be a faster lens.

comment:
reviewer#7322 date: Apr-21-2010
positive:- zoom range
- build quality
- focuses close
negative:- inconsistent sharpness (perhaps it's the AF?)
comment:This has been a great add to my lens collection and opens the door to all kinds of new and creative photography - I had never owned anything wider than 24mm prior to acquiring this lens. It has spent a lot of time on my camera simply because it is so interesting to experiment with the new kinds of imagery that are possible at the super wide-angle focal lengths. I have noticed that some images are not sharp but, when it is sharp, it is very sharp - I suspect that the AF isn't always spot on with this lens? Recommended.
reviewer#6915 date: Feb-16-2010
compared to:M42 Accura 12mm f/8 fisheye
many other lenses >= 18mm...
positive:Wide! Great IQ around f/8
negative:Very soft wide open at 10mm, slow
comment:This lens is why I bought my first Sony DSLR: the combination of a ultra-wide lens with SSS and a body with Minolta-like handling is great. It is even more fun on my A350 than it is on my A100 because the live view makes it easier to get the camera in the right place for unusual perspectives or inconspicuous street shooting treating the display as a waist-level finder (if only the display surface were a little less reflective...).

Unfortunately, at 10mm f/4, my copy can barely make a decent 4MP image; the detail simply isn't there and no sharpening can rescue it. By f/5.6 it is respectable and at f/8-f/9 it makes very crisp 14MP images. The really good news is that thanks to the focal length + SSS, I usually can shoot at f/5.6 or higher... but I'm always using this lens in A mode, because wide open isn't really an option and past f/11 or so it shows every tiny spec of dust on the sensor. In fairness, at f/5.6 it outresolves the Sony 18-70 at any aperture, and IQ of my 12mm Accura at f/8 is comparable to this lens at f/4.

For the first year I had my A100, my kit was this lens, the Sony 18-70, and a Minolta 75-300 D. Many lenses later, I still think that's a very flexible and effective kit, weak only in the 18-70 IQ and lack of a fast low-light lens. Add an old Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and you've got an excellent outfit for a great price. In summary, it's nice that I now have lots of other lenses, but this 10-20 Sigma is still in just about any set I bring to any photo-taking event.

Update: as of July 2011, I also have used this lens on an A55 -- which my version is supposed to have trouble with. I wanted to get my lens fixed, but I just got the A55 and didn't have time to have the lens fixed before vacation. In several thousand photos, I have NOT seen any sign of the problem cited by Sigma. I'm wondering if Sony might have done something to later A55 models that averts the problem...? This is even more fun on the A55 than it was on the A350.
reviews found: 127    1 2 3 4 5 >>