Minolta AF 17-35mm F2.8-4 D A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 123    1 2 3 4 5 >>
reviewer#11843 date: May-22-2014
compared to:Sigma 24mm 1.8
Minolta 17-70 3.5-5.6 DT
Tokina 17mm F4 (MD mount)
price paid:€ 200 (new)
+Flare Control
negative:-Edge Resolution
-not so good wide open
-steep focus gearing
comment:It's not a high performance lens what concerns resolution or sharpness in the center but it's very good in the center from f5.6 and has an awesome field of view. A huge step-up from any APSc kit-lens. The Sigma 24mm 1.8 is a better performer in terms of sharpness and distortion.
reviewer#11593 date: Jan-8-2014
negative:- Plastic build
- Soft
- Flare
- Useless hood
comment:First things first, the lens feels like it's made of cheap plastic, about the same feel to handle as the Sony and Minolta kit lenses. The hood is built so wide it takes up a ridiculous amount of space in the camera bag, and it is so short it dosen't even stop stray light.

Second, I have to admit that *for the money*, it gives very acceptable results, considering the only real alternative to this lens is the Zeiss 16-35 at almost 5-8x the price depending on the source. yes, the Zeiss is much sharper and feels much more solid and controls flare much better, but it's not 8x a better lens overall, so looking purely at the quality/price ratio, it's pretty good.

Bottom line is, IMO, if you afford more than 250$, save up and get something better. OTOH, if build quality and uber-sharpness is not an issue, this lens still offers a very good bang for the buck. I have used this lens successfully on paid jobs and for personal work for about 2 years, but in the end I found myself dissatisfied with it and sold it as part of a massive trade for higher-quality glass.
reviewer#11491 date: Nov-20-2013
positive:Cheap
Colors
negative:Distortion
comment:Love It
reviewer#11466 date: Nov-10-2013
compared to:vivitar 19-35, Tamron 20-35
price paid:170 CHF (mint)
positive:Cheap and light weighted
Wide to Ultra wide (depending of the format)
great color
No detectable vignetty on APSC
relatively fast AF
negative:Flare and distortion
comment:great lens for landscapes. super cheap in comparison to other full frame A mount compatible lenses such the 16-35 zeiss. i used on both A850 and A77 and couldn't be happier. highly recommended.
reviewer#11299 date: Aug-9-2013
compared to:20mm f2.8
24-70 f2.8 USD
price paid:180€ (used)
positive:- cheap
- light
- ultra wide-angle
negative:- spherical focus plane (?)
- poor optical quality (CA, sharpness, contrast)
- distortion
comment:Cheap wide angle lenses on FF always lack of optical quality. This one is no exception. However, it remain a good lens to aprehend the handling of such wide angles and finally realise it may be too much for one's use...
So I finally replaced it with a 24-70 and a 20mm that will ben wide enough in my opinion...
reviewer#11200 date: Jun-18-2013
compared to:Tamron 17-50/2.8
positive:Great general use WA-zoom lens;
Minolta colors;
Light weight;
Low lateral CA;
Good print quality up to 20"x30"
negative:Average to poor AF accuracy (back focusing at 17mm, front focusing at 35mm); MF corrections often required.
Very weak corners at 17mm F2.8-5.6
Difficult to correct in post mustache distortion. Would not use 17-20mm for architecture with straight lines.
Catches flares at all focal lengths with the hood on. Watch the lens position toward the sun with this lens.
comment:Sharpness is rather poor compared to Tamron 17-50/2.8 this KM lens replaced but bokeh is much smoother on Sony a100. I have no regrets switching to KM17-35 since I needed a WA zoom lens for a FF body.
In spite of its poor overall rating, I still can make this lens produce desired images from F6.7-F13.
You can download DNG image files taken with a850 for personal review from here:
reviewer#11154 date: May-31-2013
compared to:MAF 28-135 4.0-4.5, Tokina 19-35 3,5-4,5
price paid:150 EUR (used)
positive:Very wide view. Great for water flow at fountains, and indoor photos, quite sharp.
negative:Nothing special, except these I I could not find a good tullip shader. Newly produced ones, non original, give a shades on sides.
comment:Very nice wide angle of view. I used it for water fountains in the nightlife. Water flow was great. I used it for taking fireworks pictures and indoor photography.
I sold due to a bit short for me range it and changed for MAF 28-135 4.0-4,5 As I do more reportage pictures, where longer range is important.
reviewer#10592 date: Oct-14-2012
compared to:Sony kit lenes 17-70 and 18-55
Tamron 20-40
price paid:Eur 180
positive:D-lens
far better than kit lens
Useful range on aps-c
negative:lens hood
comment:I bought this to replace my Tamron 20-40.

The Tammy feels better made, but both have same size hood leading to flare in certain conditions.

Optically, the Tamron might have the edge, but for my purposes, I needed the additional 3mm on wide, so reluctantly sold the Tamron.

Distortion is so less obvious than on the kit lenses. It is a great lens for architecture and outdoor wide shots, without the feeling that the edges are bowing inward.

Although not my favorite lens, it is probably my most used walkaround lens. Shame it doesn't feel as solid as earlier Minolta glass, but optically I cannot complain.

Highly recommended.
-price
-AF Speed
negative:-corner sharpness is bad
-performance @35mm not good
comment:I got this one back in 2006. For the price it's really a decent lens. Good center sharpness.
However I really like the fact that it's really light weight compared to pricey lenses- of course it doesn't feel that good in your hands.
I do like it better on my film lenses as sharpness isn't such a huge deal as in digital ;)
reviewer#10360 date: Jul-6-2012
compared to:Tamron 28-75 F2.8
price paid:372 USD (ebay-used)
positive:-Wide Angle
-Full Frame coverage
-good colors
-Distortion- very much acceptable for the angle
-Overall sharpness
negative:-Distortion
-Corner sharpness
-Flare
comment:I've been using this lens for over a year now on my A850 and more recently on my A65. It performs great on the A850. The distortion is mild considering the angle provided. The colors are really good-minolta like. I usually step it down at least 2-3 stops to get better overall sharpness. F5.6 is the minimum required in my opinion. Flare is indeed an issue as expected with such a lens. Nothing too bad though.

Recommend buying it. You can great some great shots on the full frame. If you have APS-C, i wouldn't recommend this lens in particular as it loses it's wide angles. There's better lenses out there for APS-C that give the equivalent of 25mm and up
reviewer#10256 date: May-31-2012
positive:+ cheap
+ good WA on FF
+ good IQ
+ good flare resistance
negative:- the hood is useless
comment:This lens is really good for the money. On FF the wide angle is remarkable. This is my second most used lens for event photography, just after the 28-75. Surprisingly it has pretty good flare resistance. I do a lot of outside shooting with sun in the frame at full wide angle and there are only a couple ghots/flares, but nothing drastic. Very pleased with the IQ this lens provides stopped down to F/5.6 - F/8, although I regulary use it at F/11 - F/16 if the sun is out.
The distortion is there, but this is expected from this lens. It's a shame that SONY did not re-badge this Tamron lens again. With an SSM or new generation SAM motor this would be a good entry level FF WA.
reviewer#9962 date: Feb-22-2012
compared to:Sigma 17-35 F2.8-f4 EX
Sigma 17-35 f2.8-f4 EX DG
price paid:156 GBP mint
positive:Sharp, evev at max aperture
Superb minolta colours
Inexpensive
negative:Distortion - 17-20.
77 mm filters.
comment:Better than the Sigmas - sharper at max aperture and better colours.

This must be a good copy after reading the reviews below. Very sharp at max apertures across the focal length range. Razor sharp f5.6-f11

There is a fair price premium to pay to cover this range with better glass,
reviewer#9902 date: Feb-7-2012
Decent sharpness
Good flare resistance
negative:Lacks character
Distortion
comment:Got this as a FF alternative to the sigma 10-20mm in APS-C, I had expected this to comfortably outperform the sigma, it does beat the sigma at the wide end but at the long end the sigma seems win. Overall the sigma has less distortion (especially at the wide end) so I'd have to say the sigma 10-20mm is the better lens albeit costing a fair bit more (and for APS-C bodies only).

All that said this seems to be a great value option for FF users, sharp enough to keep me content and thankfully LR has a lens profile for the tamron 17-35mm which can correct the distortion on this lens offsetting it's weakest aspect.

update:

Compared to the minolta 20mm RS, the 20mm is sharper but this lens has better flare resistance, neither have great distortion control but the 20mm has the edge. Compared to the sigma 12-24mm, the sigma (surprisingly) has much better distortion control, centre sharpness is similar but this lens has better corner sharpness.

Also don't let my sharpness rating of 3 put you off, none of the wide angle lenses I've used have stellar sharpness when compared to macro lenses, for the class this lens is perfectly decent. What is perhaps a bigger issue is this lens lacks magic, it's colour/crispness characteristics never excite you.
reviewer#9513 date: Oct-20-2011
positive:Range
f 2.8 at 17mm
Colours
negative:Big filter size
Distortion
comment:I love the range of this lens. This Lens on FF is extremely nice! With it's aperture it is even usable inside.
I do not have the hood fir this lens, so I remarked a little bit of flare.
The Lens produces awesome colours and it's really sharp for a Zoom lens.
The build quality does not really match a High end Body such as the A850 or the 800si.
At 17mm Distortion seems really odd, I don't know if the problem is my image composition or if it's because of the Lens.
reviewer#9169 date: Jun-22-2011
compared to:MAF 70-210/4, MAF 28-135/4,0-4,5, Tokina 19-35/3,5-4,5,
price paid:110 EUR (almost new)
positive:Well build, nice colors, good sharpness, makes good sharp pictures in low light, good for night photography, its wide range lens,
negative:missing Macro function, vignetting with non-original lens-shade
comment:It's a great lens. I love it, ist much better in sharpness than Tamron or Tokina 19-35 nad Sigma 18-35. A bit difficult difficult to find original second-hand tullip lens-shade, otherwise non original is not a good choice as it make worse vignetting. Flare can be a small problem.
If you have all of these great Minolta lenses: MAF 17-35/2.8-4.0, MAF 28-135/4.0-4.5, MAF 70-210/4.0 its almost you need for amateur photogrpahy, you are winner. A bit expensive in Germany on Ebay., however worth its paid price for me.
reviewer#9082 date: Jun-4-2011
* Sony 35mm f/1.8
* Sigma 20mm f/1.8
* Sigma 24mm f/1.8
* Sigma 30mm f/1.4
positive:* Wide angle zoom with full-frame coverage.
* Reasonably fast aperture with good center sharpness wide open.
* Light for its size.
negative:* Corners can be soft at wide apertures.
* Image quality is good, but not great.
* Unless you're a full frame or film shooter, there are better options available.
comment:Are you a full frame shooter? Do you want an ultra-wide zoom, but can't justify spending $1899 on the Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8? Seriously consider this lens. It's one of the few options available on the market and, for the price, it's a pretty good performer. If you're shooting landscapes, you'll be stepping down to f/8-f/11 anyway, so the soft corners at wide apertures are a non-issue. If you're trying to use this as a walkaround lens, your center sharpness is still pretty good wide open.

Are you an APS-C shooter? Are you perfectly happy with your current camera and don't have any serious plans to upgrade to an a850 or a900? Don't give this lens a lot of thought, you have better options available. The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a great all-around performer. Compared to this lens, you'll have a faster constant aperture and a slightly longer zoom range. Other decent options include the Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 (great image quality but more expensive) and the Sony 16-105mm f/3.5-5.6 (more compact, more versatile focal range). That's not to say that this lens is worthless to an APS-C user. It's not, it's a fine lens. I just wouldn't go out of my way to get one unless you can find it for a great price because you have other, better options available.
reviewer#8788 date: Mar-14-2011
-price
-sharpness wide open
-FF compatibility
negative:-f2.8 only @ 17mm
comment:This is one of the best lenses I've ever used.
I have a beautiful copy that I bought here on dyxum. I read many people saying that in order to get decent sharpness from this lens you need to step down, well my copy is razor sharp at f2.8, and this is why I'm keeping it.
This lens was my first replacement to the crappy 18-70 kitlens, and maybe this is why I love it so much.
The colors are beautiful: the classic Minolta colors!

I never had problems with flare, but it's true that it can be seen sometimes.

At 17mm f2.8, few people might be interested in bokeh, but I've done a number of semi-macro photos with this lens, and I just love its bokeh!

Distortion is there, and sometimes it's clearly visible, but for landscapes, it was never a problem, especially when I got the Sigma 10-20 and used it most of the times at 10mm, the minolta's distortion disappears.

After buying the Sigma, I thought about selling this lens, but I end up keeping it for I consider it a classic.

It's true that this lens is not comparable to the Zeiss glass (which I never owned) but for the price I've paid, this lens delivers everything I need.

If you're looking for a kitlens replacement, this would be my number one suggestion!
reviewer#8679 date: Feb-20-2011
positive:Very wide on Full Frame
Good sharpness stopped down
Colors
Light weight
negative:Distortions (but what lens at 17mm don`t have it?)
Vignetting at 17mm
Sharpness wideopen
comment:Bought it for my A850.
Used it not so often, liked it in travellings (in Alps it gives breathtaking photos).
Liked it lightweightness, colors (really saturated), but to have really sharp corners you need to stop it down to f/7.1...9 (further - diffraction).
But if you print not bigger than A4 photos - the sharpness seems to be enough from f/5.6.

I sold this lens, when bought Sony 20/2.8, 24/2 and 35/1.4G.
reviewer#8664 date: Feb-16-2011
compared to:mmm no compared
positive:All
negative:Noth
comment:Truly one of the best wide angle I know
Much better than the sigma 12 to 24 and the sigma 15-30
Sharp, bright and super economical
Highly recommended for the alpha 850

Sharp stopped down
Minolta Colors
Light
negative:Watch for flare
comment: Great lens for the price. F8-F11 can give any other lens in this range a run for it's money. Again, I like distortion in close ups.
reviewer#8174 date: Nov-3-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
price paid:$300 CAD (Used)
positive:Cheap super wide angle lens
Fast on the wide end
Very lightweight
Somewhat sharp
Bokeh isn't bad
Very little CA
negative:Noticeable distortion
Poor flare control
Coma is pretty bad wide open
Light falloff is noticeably hard on the wide end and doesn't go away stopped down (Full Frame)
Due to light falloff use of a thick UV filter of circular polarizer becomes more noticeable (Full Frame)
comment:This lens is a very inexpensive super wide angle that is most likely a rebadged Tamron lens. The lens is pretty sharp in the centre of the frame on the wide end though gets pretty bad near the corners (on a full frame) stopping down to F11 will really help if you want the whole frame sharp. There is actually very little CA wide open when using this lens in well lit or high contrast areas, and the bokeh is pretty decent for a super wide angle lens. Due to the cheap plastic build this lens is very lightweight as well. As with a lot of super wide angles there is a noticeable amount of distortion, and this lens handles flare very poorly as well, the hood doesn't do much. Though my biggest issue with this lens is the amount of light falloff it has on the wide end on a full frame, it's bad because it comes on heavy and falls off hard, even stopped down you'll see just a little bit of the very corners are dark (no gradual transition just a hard dark corner). And this issue gets a lot worse when using a circular polarizer.

Besides the mentioned issues this lens preforms pretty well for its price and should be considered for anyone who wants to try going wide but doesn't wan't to drop a lot of money on a CZ 16-35mm F2.8 or Minolta 17-35mm F3.5 as both those lenses cost over 3x-4x as much as this used.
reviewer#7920 date: Sep-1-2010
compared to:Sigma 17-35mm F2.8-4
price paid:$400 AUD
positive:wide for FF, wide open aperture (F2.8)
negative:Flare, Not wide enough for APS-C. 77mm filter thread is not convenient for bag storage.
comment:This lens best used on Fullframe DSLR. The wide open aperture (F2.8) is good for a wide angle lens. It is difficult to store the lens in your bagpack as the big filter tread (77mm) and hood taking a lot of spaces. I have to spend more for the CPL and other filters due to its filter size.
reviewer#7717 date: Jul-23-2010
-Good colors
negative:-Short range on APS-C cameras
-Flare
-Corner sharpness
comment:I love this lens. It's cheap and good, with and without it's faults. Want a wideangel lens for your Sony FF and are on a budget? Try this one, it's a fun lens.

I was about to buy the Sony 20mm when I found this lens used in mint condition. I bought the 17-35mm and got a KM 7D with grip, PS, battery, charger, Lowepro bag, CF-card, remote triggers and more for 3000NOK(462USD) + S&H.
reviewer#7671 date: Jul-9-2010
price paid:£275 (used)
positive:Cheap, light, small
negative:Soft wide open
comment:Fantastic lens on a FF camera. Good enough for A1 sized prints. A must for a FF photographer on a budget.
reviewer#7646 date: Jun-30-2010
compared to:Tokina 12-24 on crop sensor
positive:Pretty sharp lens, especially considering the amount of money paid for it. Definitely love this focal length range. Build quality is ok, nothing amazing.
negative:Flares pretty badly with the lens pointed anywhere near the sun.
comment:Pretty much said it all in the above positives and negatives. In order for corners to get sharp, stopping down is a must. Has some pretty strong distortion along the edges, which is expected with a lens like this.
reviewer#7644 date: Jun-30-2010
compared to:20mm Sony f2.8
14mm Samyang f2.8
price paid:£230.00
positive:This lens performs well when used at f8 - f11
negative:None really considering price paid. Not sure the lens hood offers much flare protection so best to hold something to help when the camera is on a tripod.
comment:Just got this as 'new' from ebay and pristine condition of lens, box and information inside points to that being true. Very smooth to use on my a900.
My main use will be for landscapes so it will mainly be used at the sweet spots. I don't find the slight softening at the extreme edges detracts from the overall performance at 17mm. For the money something of a bargain. If I want to go wider I use the Samyang 14mm which is very sharp and the distortions don't really effect landscape images if used carefully and corrected - the moderators are dragging their feet with the inclusion of this lens in fixed focal lenghts!
reviewer#7629 date: Jun-27-2010
price paid:400 EUR (new)
positive:
comment:It's ok. but let's leave it at that.
reviewer#7555 date: Jun-12-2010
price paid:350 usd new
positive:Light weight, inexpensive
Fast focus
negative:Sharpness and saturation
comment:It was a rather surprise purchase at 350 USD. You have no complaints but you do not get anything extra from the price you paid
reviewer#7548 date: Jun-10-2010
compared to:28-85 minolta
price paid:$300.00 (new)
positive:This is a great lens. Everyone seems to rave about the colours and I have to agree. I've used this on my 7D and 9000, both with great results.

Nice and wide on film, not too bad on APS/C
negative:The hood seems a little big but that's the way it is.
comment:I always wanted the G version but this lens works just fine. I don't regret buying it and I use it quite a bit. That being said, nothing beats my 28-135mm!
reviewer#7191 date: Mar-29-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:other my lenses, kit lens
price paid:about $200 (used)
positive:light, very cheap, quite useful lens
negative:optically could be better and lighter
comment:Cheap and good lens. Worth those money. Great on film cameras, quite good on A900. Thanks to it I don't have to buy wide Zeiss zoom ;)
reviews found: 123    1 2 3 4 5 >>