Sigma AF 90mm F2.8 Macro A-mount lens reviews

minolta 28-135
price paid:120 eur
positive:sharpness
bokeh
double as portrait lens ( in theory )
negative:build - AF gears
Manual focus not great
comment:I can't recommend this lens, unless you want to manually focus it. For manual focus there may be a lot of better alternatives, as this lens wasn't made for that, it feels brittle and uneven ( the takumar is quite the opposite ). Older sigma consumer lenses ( there are exceptions ) tend to have plastic AF gears. My A55 chewed on these for a week, before they got worn & broken ( especially at the focus delimiter point (0,5m focus distance). I mainly bought it as a portrait lens, with the macro as a plus. I ended up with a dedicated macro lens ( due to the manual focussing ). Candid portraits are no longer in the repertoire without working AF gears.

Colour is good, i'm using it with a skylight 1B filter, as suggested in the reviews below. Sharpness & bokeh are great, it is a long prime lens after all. Unless you can set your camera to 'gentle' AF speed ( A700 ), or you want it mainly as a Macro and don't mind the less than ideal manual focus, i would avoid this lens.
reviewer#10512 date: Sep-12-2012
price paid:$225 CAD(Used)
positive:-Very sharp in native 1:2

-Sharpness appears unchanged with 1:1 adapter

-Very impressive Bokeh in native 1:2 setting

-Fast and accurate AF at 1:2(With Micro Adjust))

-Rugged build quality and matterials

-Light and relatively compact
negative:-With 1:1 adapter glare/haze becomes magnified issue even with deep lens hood

-AF hunts with no success when glare/haze becomes issue, need to manually focus and recompose to compensate for haze

-With 1:1 adapter focus zone is limited 3.5-4" closest to 7-8" furthest away.

-Focus ring has the standard grinding sound lower class Sigma's make.
comment:I have mixed feelings about the lens although it's likely to be high expectations from all the positive reviews. Until now I've been using the above lenses with Vivitar auto-focus extension tubes for macro shots.

The selling features for me is the 1:2 native magnification and 90mm at f/2.8, which allows me to use the lens as a portrait lens. The AF is surprisingly snappy and accurate without the adapter, and the Bokeh is fantastic and I'm comparing that to the two 50mm primes(Sigma, Minolta). The other selling feature is this is a Full Frame lens I'm future proofing my kit, as I'm currently using the Sony a77 and will definitely be picking up the a99 sooner or later.

The adapter is very solid and doesn't appear to degrade the sharpness under optimal shooting conditions. However, when shooting with relatively moderate front light there is a powerful haze that takes over.

This haze not only causes the image sharpness/quality to go down but it also makes auto-focusing impossible. The focus limiter may help with the time and range of focus, but only if the focus can lock on to begin with. The front element is recessed nicely but with the 1:1 adapter you'll need to get a lens hood with some depth to it.

The build quality is about normal for Sigma's from that period and level, some don't but I like the rubber coating exterior it's scratch resistant and easy to clean. The lens is sharp as any of the best I have save the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, although I had to do a -10 micro adjust before I got peak sharpness out of the lens.

If you can find one for $150-175 without the adapter I highly suggest this lens, double duty as a decent Macro and a very capable portrait lens.

If you can find one with the adapter like I have I wouldn't go above $225-250, for $50-100 more you'll get true 1:1 macro lenses from Tokina, Tamron, or even newer Sigma. You won't be fighting with the haze/glare issue of the adapter either.
reviewer#10477 date: Aug-30-2012
Sharpness
Focus limiter
negative:AF Noise
1:2 macro w/o adapter
comment:Very nice, good sharp lens. Nice range for macro shots, but unfortunate that it needs an adapter to achieve 1:1. I find the sharpness suffers with the 1:1 adapter, but that might be simply because I'm not sturdy enough to keep it still at the f/8-f/22 they recommend to get a workable DOF with it on. Colours seem very "Sigma", which isn't terrible, it's just not "Minolta".

For the price, I can't ask for more. This one came with the matched 1:1 adapter, a B+W Soft Focus filter, and a couple fog filters. I think my Minolta 50/2.8 took overall better photos, but I didn't so much care for the range. This makes for a much more usable macro, and a good portrait lens also.

Appears to have lots of purple fringing when wide open, but otherwise sharp. Perfect by f/4, if not sooner.
reviewer#10258 date: Jun-2-2012
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
price paid:87 USD (used mint)
Well built
negative:Green and purple CA wide open
Back focus
comment:I got the Quantaray version from ebay and it's identical to the Sigma. This lens is incredibly sharp at all speeds and all distances. Great for both portrait and macro. The long focus ring gives you precise focus in both auto and manual mode.

My copy had back focusing problem, but it's not a problem on the A77. The micro adjustment was at -9! If you shoot something with high contrast at F2.8 expect to see a ton of purple CA.
reviewer#9398 date: Sep-6-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Sigma 50 f2.8 macro (original)
Sony 85 f2.8
Minolta 100 f2.8 macro
positive:Very sharp
Lovely colours
Well built
Cost
negative:Only 1:2
Hard to find
comment:Sharp at f2.8, razor sharp @ f4 onwards.

Better in terms of sharpness than the Sony, but it is really difficult to split it with the Minolta.

Recommended. Great lens.

NOTE - lens developed AF problems after 1 weeks use. The dealer said it was beyond economic repair and gave me a full refund.
reviewer#8386 date: Dec-9-2010
compared to:Minolta 50mm F:1.7
Minolta 70-210mm (Beercan)
positive:Fast, very sharp, with good color rendition
negative:For the price, no negative comments
comment:This is my first lens review. I tested this lens on my a850, and the landscape photos taken in bright sun were sharper than anything I had ever taken right out of a camera. At F:6.3, the entire frame is tack sharp, with no CA. Overexposure will cause contrast to go flat in a hurry with this lens, causing more work in PS. The real test for this lens was with a new Sony a55 indoors. With two light sources running at 5600K, this lens and camera set up was providing some excellent sharp portraits with very realistic color rendition. The a55 will run at 10 FPS with no mirror lag, and also offers full-time DSLR-style phase-detection autofocus. The Sigma 90mm at F:6.3 kept up with the very fast auto focusing demands between frames. I can see Sony staying with this fixed pellicle semi-translucent mirror technology, including full-frame, Shooting moving objects becomes much easier with this new technology.

I had some fear this Sigma might not work on the a55, however, it hooked right up and went to work. Used Sigma 90mm Macro’s are hard to find, but at times new can found for sale on e-Bay. The used copy of the Sigma I obtained did not have the glass adapter for Macro, but I have a set of Macro extension tubes. As other reviewers have stated, this 90mm Sigma prime is the sharpest lens in my arsenal.
reviewer#7288 date: Apr-14-2010
compared to:beercan
sony 16-105
price paid:250 euro (new - 20 y ago))
positive:very sharp
good colors
negative:slow and noisy focusing
small focus ring
macro only 1/2
comment:This is a very sharp lens. It's a heavy lens too.
reviewer#7002 date: Mar-5-2010
compared to:Minolta 50 f1.7 RS
Minolta 35-70 f4
Minolta 100-200 f4.5
price paid:$200 USD (used)
positive:Sharpest lens I own (Sigma 180 f5.6 macro may own that spot now...)
Very good color
Short OAL even at 1:2
Fast AF on the a700 even without the limiter set
negative:Gear noise when focusing
Un-damped rough focus feel
No 1:1 magnification without adapter
Not a color match to my Minolta glass
comment:This lens has shortcomings for sure, but they are few and easy to live with especially considering the price.

Tremendous IQ from this lens at all focus distances, color is excellent although quite different from OEM Minolta color rendition; a bit more blue in most situations and contrast is somehow rendered differently. I would say that sharpness is very acceptable even wide open on an APS-C sensor. This lens doesn't show any CA even with strongly backlit subjects.

You can see the difference in sharpness over the 100mm setting on the Min 100-200 on-camera (zoomed well in of course), the improvement over macro or 70mm on the 35-70 and closeups or portraits with the 50 need a larger screen to be certain of.

I'd rate this as a supremely versatile walkaround macro and ditto as an ultra-sharp short telephoto. The main complaint I have is with the somewhat rough and loose feel of the focusing in manual mode, strangely its also noisiest when manually focused...my copy *is* the loudest lens in my kit, but I find other reviewers' noise complaints puzzling; it really isn't overly loud compared to other lenses from its design generation...if you're trying to be subtle and capture candid images an SLR is the wrong tool anyway IMO.

I did not get mine with the screw-on closeup lens for 1:1 magnification, sorry no opinions on that accessory, instead I'll be getting an extension tube for that role (it'll work with all my other lenses too!).

**added after extended use**

I feel that after a few hundred more images taken with this lens I can make a few more comments; First, it really is *that* sharp, now when I look at an image I have taken with this lens it is immediately clear that the sharpness is better than any of the other lenses in my kit. Second, the boke is not as good in some situations as I would like...with distant complicated out of focus areas like backlit undergrowth the boke becomes very choppy and the shape of the aperture is clearly imposed on the out of focus shapes, however with closer less de-focused subjects the boke is nice and smooth, with little or none of this effect (btw, my copy has a 6 bladed aperture, not 7). Third, a good skylight filter (*not* UV, but skylight 1B in my case) tames some of the excess blue in images, although the lens still renders both color and contrast differently than vintage Minolta glass, the filter helps mediate that "Sigma color" look it has without any CC.
reviewer#6336 date: Nov-6-2009
GOOD OUTDOORS
LENS HOOD IS FANTASTIC
FOCUS SWITCH TO HALF THE HUNTING TIME
negative:COULD DO WITH MORE CONTRAST
comment:VERY LOVELY LENS. IT IS KILLER LENS FOR PORTRAITS. WITH 1:1 ADAPTER THE PHOTOS ARE STILL FANTASTIC QUALITY. IF YOU CAN PICK ONE UNDER $250USD IT IS A BARGAIN.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
reviewer#5222 date: Apr-12-2009
compared to:Minolta AF 35-70 F3.5-4.5
Sony AF DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6
Sony AF 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony - AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6
Minolta AF 28 F2.8
positive:Very Sharp,Good colors,
negative:Heavy,some times is dificult to get focus, not to fast focus
comment:
sharp
compact
negative:1:2
low contrast
comment:Surprisingly good, it's a very sharp lens but beaten by the minolta/tamron macros for sharpness.

Colours are pleasant it's got a certain minolta charm to it but some pictures could do with a little extra saturation and contrast. However shots straight from the camera are very good.

90mm is a better working distance than the 50mm for macro work (especially insects) but if you really want to get close <20cm you'll have to use the 1:1 adapter. Ultimately it's a better choice than the plastic fantastic but i believe if you're after a real macro lens you won't be content with less than a 1:1 macro lens - if you can't afford the tammy then this is a great option but otherwise i say save up for the tammy.
reviewer#3637 date: May-27-2008
compared to:no other macro; sharpness to 28-135, 100-300 APO
price paid:50 Euros with defect
positive:sharpness at f4 and beyond
size and weight
negative:a little soft at 2.8, although this isn´t so bad for a portrait lens
comment:This is a very sharp lens at f8, where it beats even the legendary Minolta 100mm f2. (See old photodo.) But it has a few downsides. For macro-lovers: You need a filter to achieve 1:1 ratio, otherwise you just get 2:1. As a portrait-lens (for cheap money) softness at 2.8 is tolerable. Otherwise you should stop down to f3.5, as sharpness increases significantly. Stopping further down to f4 shows some more improvement. Differences between f4 and f5.6 are discernable only when pixel-peeping (on a 6.1 MP-camera, the 7D). At f8, sharpness and even more so richness of detail are stunning.

The lens looks a little awkward to me. (Should I call it "fat"?) But it is short and rather light by comparison.

I´ve never used it with a sunshade (don´t have one), haven´t noticed flare so far. I still didn´t test that, though.

Being used to the rather slow AF of the 7D, the low speed of this lens isn´t bothering me much at day-light. Dim lights make the AF hunt terribly.
I always use it with the limit-switch set.

My lens, which I bought for 50Euros only, has a bug: In macro-setting, the AF tries to go beyond the limit of close-focusing (with the lens emitting a scaring noise). So I use it (rarely, though) in MF-mode for shooting macros (with no problems).

The 52mm filter-thread doesn´t match well with minolta lenses.
reviewer#3442 date: Apr-8-2008
compared to:Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Sigma 24mm f/2.8
price paid:$95, Used
positive:-Body built like a tank for being half plastic
-Excellent glass and color reproduction (especially with Sigma's track record), tone is as good or better than Minolta 50mm f/1.7
-Good sharpness throughout corners
-Excellent macro for the price
-Focus limiter
-Nice and fast
negative:-Incredibly sharp, but not quite "tack" sharp like the KM 28-85.
-Quite large, nothing like the KM 50/1.7
-Very noise, very slow AF reminiscent of first-gen AF lenses like the Beercan
-AF sometimes backfocuses too far, but the range limiter helps
-A little bit of flare
-I don't like 52mm filter sizes?
comment:Really wonderful colors, and it's the perfect length for portraiture. Fast so indoor portraits are welcomed by this lens, and it's not "tack" sharp so that adds to a quality portrait lens, too. Also has basically no vignetting, corner softness, or distortion. I can't think of a better portrait lens off the top of my head, and it seems like it would be great in almost any situation that calls for this focal length.

The only real cons are that it's fat, slow, a little dumb, and sometimes shows slight flare, but none of those are deal breakers in any way.

Highly recommended, especially if you can snag it for $150 or less.
reviewer#3229 date: Feb-1-2008
compared to:minolta 100/2,8 Macro D
price paid:150 EUR (used)
positive:sharp, cheap, great bokeh, very well built, compact
negative:slow, hunting, only 1:2 without the close-up lens
comment:was my first macro lens and was very good, but minolta 100/2,8 is much more better :)+
reviewer#3117 date: Dec-27-2007
compared to:Minolta AF 50/2.8 Macro
Sigma AF 24/2.8 Macro
price paid:Don't remember
positive:Great lens all around. Sturdy build, focus limiter, comfortable. Great Optics, very sharp, tonal separation.
negative:Nothing so far as I'm concerned.
comment:This is my portrait lens. Can't fault it with anything really.
Color and Tonal Separation are great. It's sharp and of reasonable size.
reviewer#2743 date: Sep-17-2007
compared to:- Minota AF 50/1.7
- Minolta AF 70-210/4
- Minolta AF 28-135/4-4.5
- Minolta AF 24-85/3.5-4.5
- Konica Minolta 17-35/2.8-4
price paid:150 €
positive:- extremly sharp (even in wide open)
- plastic, but very massive
- nice lens hood
- great bokeh
negative:- perhaps the macro function (1:2), but It has a dedicated close-up filter to 1:1
- a little slow and noisy AF
- rare
comment:It's very-very sharp. I use it mainly for making portraits, and I like this pictures. Sometimes I must put some blur, because the harsh sharpness.

I love this lens. If you find one, I recommend, don't miss it!
reviewer#2577 date: Jul-25-2007
* fine bokeh
* super sharp after F4
* Good MF ring
* focus limiter
negative:* Wide open performance: low contrast and dull colors. improves when stopped down.
* 1:2 only, comes with close-up filter for 1:1
comment:to to me the biggest pro of this lens is its length... its even shorter than a sig 50/2.8 macro! its good built, has a nice focus ring and looks cool on the 5D.

one thing is, at f2.8 the contrast is low and colors are dull, my old cosina 100 was much better in those aspects. When stopped down, the contrast problem is totally gone, colors are improved too. Still the cosina had some magic to it, which this sigma lacks imo.

At least the bokeh is great:) also its very sharp after F4. wide open, you can see the slight softness but nothing to worry about.

Overall, i don't hesitate to recommend this lens for the price. If you can pay more tough, there is room for improvement which you can get with more expensive macro lenses.
reviewer#2285 date: May-9-2007
compared to:? all i have close to this is a KM 50 1.7 and a KM 100-200 4.5
price paid:150 USD (USED)
positive:super sharp, wide open, sturdy build, limit switch 1:1 adapter, creamy bokeh
negative:heavy, sometimes the aperture is not picked up by the alpha, have to unmount and remount. slow af noisy, at least my used one
comment:very happy with the lens, once i figured out how to use the 1:1 adapter (was a challenge for a novice like myself) but even without it, took wonderfully colorful and sharp macro photos, great portraits, gives you distance between the subject, AF is very responsive, even though a bit slow, the limit switch keeps you within a good working distance.

being my second prime, it didn't disappoint the high expectation i had from the KM 50 1.7. The bokeh is fantastic,
for the price, I felt it a steal. I didn't get the hood, unfortunately, but have not really missed it much. I will be posting some images in the lens images forum. I will definitely be keeping this puppy until its life is over.

Sample images (portraits coming soon)
reviewer#1787 date: Feb-8-2007
compared to:100/2
positive:Sharp, cheap
negative:Noisy, slow AF
Not 1:1
comment:Owned this a short time, sold it to finance my 200/2.8.
Build is more like 3,5 then 4
reviewer#757 date: May-7-2006
compared to:Minolta AF 50 / 1.7
Sigma 50 F2.8 EX DG Macro
positive:Sharp, no distortions, nice bokeh
comment:It´s even sharp at f=2.8, so I use it mainly for portaits (- don´t need flash indoors). And it´s the finest macro lense I´ve ever worked with (especially with the additional apochromat)
reviewer#594 date: Mar-19-2006
compared to:Minolta 50/2.8
positive:Sharp, great colors, good bokeh.
negative:Slot AF, but not worse than the Minolta 50/2.8 MACRO. Must use the 1:1 adapter to get life-size.
comment:This an underrated inexpensive old macro. It is really sharp and gives great results. The only "snag" is that is requires an adapter to get to 1:1. Without it is only 1:2. I really like this lens.