Sigma 21-35mm F3.5-4.2 A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#10924 date: Feb-16-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Tokina 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 (77mm diameter)
positive:Solid metal build
Sharpness
negative:A bit prone to flare
comment:Very nice and sharp lens made by Sigma that was carried over from the famous and revolutionary MF version into the current AF version. Back in the old film days, when Sigma announced they were making a 21-35mm wide-angle zoom, no one thought it was possible, but Sigma went ahead and made this fantastic zoom lens. The AF version is even better than the older MF brothers.

Its reasonably sharp wide open (much better compared to the well-acclaimed Tokina 20-35mm F3.5-4.5) and very sharp once you stopped down. At usual landscape F-stops (F8 and smaller), this lens delivers in heaps. This is a 1st generation Sigma AF lens, which had superb build - all metal and made to last, unlike the latter Sigma lenses that are much less well-built and had various issues. The build quality of this lens even beats the Tokina lens mentioned above.
reviewer#9538 date: Oct-28-2011
compared to:Sony 18-55 kit
Carl Zeiss 28mm
positive:Crisp and sharp
Tank-like build quality
negative:Clunky AF
Flare
comment:I got this lens from Portugal, on eBay. It's been a revelation. Image Quality is fantastic, colours are up there with Minolta. It's never off the front of one of my cameras since I've got it. It's a real sleeper of a lens; so sharp, especially stopped down from f/5.6. My copy has auto-focus problems reaching 35mm, so I don't go above 30-32mm. A couple of times at 35mm it has locked, but my copy is well used, however, because it's all metal, a sharp slap has untangled the gears. They don't make lenses that tough any more... slap a CZ and it's finished.

Can be tricky if in portrait orientation if you don't hold exactly level, just takes a little practice not to elevate or lower the lens and to keep it level and square. If you can find one, get one. You'll not regret it.

I use Bibble 5 for RAW processing and it doesn't have it in its lens database, however, selecting Sigma 20-40 sorts out any CA.

Finally, the lens hood is useless so it's heavily prone to flare, have to use your hand or some other means of shading it but the flare it produces is like a spotlight so that is a creative advantage when shooting for B&W.

I love this lens!
reviewer#9460 date: Sep-30-2011
compared to:Sigma 17-35 EX DG
minolta 24-85
positive:Very sharp
Colour. Build
Fixed hood
comment:Extremely good value for money. Got rid of Sigma 17-35 which paid for this and a Sony 35mm f1.8(great lens). I dont often shoot wider than 21mm in any event. The 18-200 adequately covers this small range

Exif indicates 20mm at wide end and the zoom ring does move a touch beyond 21mm.
reviewer#7034 date: Mar-9-2010
price paid:145USD New old stock
positive:Sharp wide open
Very nice colors
Built like a tank
negative:Non-removable hood
comment:I am so glad I found this lens. I bought it about a month ago, new in the box. It is really sharp wide open. You'll have to use screw in filters (no Cokin/Lee square filters) because the lens hood doesn't come off. I tried it on my 7D first and was shocked at how sharp this "cheap" little lens was. On my 7 with Ektar 100 really nice colors and just as sharp. This will definately get alot of use.
reviewer#6729 date: Jan-11-2010
price paid:250 euro
positive:Super sharp
Love its color
perfect for landscape
negative:not really
comment:I love this lens...The first big difference was the drastic increase in the overall quality of my pictures respect the kit lens at Wide 18mm (not really an accomplishment, I know). I tried this lens in 3 different stores until I found a good deal for it, and I have to say that all the samples I was offered to test worked finely.

I have only had problems with flare when nearly including the sun into the frame; CA is extremely well controlled too and you won't be finding much of it.
reviewer#6728 date: Jan-11-2010
compared to:Minolta 20 F2.8, Sigma 24 1.8
price paid:US200$
Colour
negative:Built-in Hood
comment:I am really surprised by this lens. It have a solid built and produced very very sharp, nice color thru the league. This lens is worth to have, if you look for a wide one
reviewer#3765 date: Jun-30-2008
compared to:Sigma 24-70 UC f3.5-5.6
Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4
Colour
negative:Heavy (but well built)
comment:Great sharpness and colour, particularly between 21 and 28.
reviewer#3626 date: May-25-2008
compared to:Sony 18-70 Kit lens
positive:Range, build
negative:no AF on mine, had to turn off shutter lock, color, sharpness
comment:I love the range and build of this lens. The color is OK, not much better than the SOny 18-60 kit. The AF does not work on my a700 nor does it register as being attached. I had to turn off the shutter lock. That being said, I can only control the shutter speed. I have only taken about 10-15 shots with this lens as of 5/08. If my impression changes greatly with use of this lens, I will change my review.
reviewer#3144 date: Jan-6-2008
compared to:KM 18-70, Minolta 50/1.7
price paid:120 Euro (used)
positive:Great sharpness, quality build (metal), nice range, full-frame.
negative:Hood integral part of lens.
comment:Great performer, color and sharpness are really amazing. A whole lot sharper than the kitlens, huge difference. As to be expected, not as sharp as the prime, but the difference isn't nearly as great as I expected. Some minor vignetting and distortion. Flare is a problem, but I guess that's the same for almost all (not too expensive) very wide-angle lenses. And it is - to some amount at least - controllable.
All in all: this lens surprised me in a very positive way, and looking at what I paid for it, I must say: it's a bargain.
reviewer#1853 date: Feb-18-2007
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Minolta 24-85, 28-135.
price paid:150 USD EBAY
positive:Solid all metal lens. Hood an integral part. Smooth zooming. MTF rated 3.6
negative:Manual focus a little hampered by hood but still OK. Sounds like a loose element in it but focus is always right on.
comment:As I said a little noise from a possible loose element, but no effect on performance. Might be design or my particular lens. To my eye sharper than the 24-85 and the 28-135. Color to match the 28-135. As to be expected vignetting at the wide end wide open. I use it tripod mounted and stopped down to f22. Have brought home some wonderful Yosemite shots. Color and sharpness exceptional. As for distortion, there must be some but for my use, not decernable. Prone to flare, but if you're aware of your surroundings, easily controlable. A little quirky but with character and definitely a performer and well worth twice what I paid for it.