Minolta AF 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens reviews

Minolta 28-70 2.8 G
Rokkor 35-70 3.5
price paid:5 Eur used
positive:Cheap, sharp, light
negative:Purple fringing, detail resolution could be better, rotating front element, plastic
comment:Good if you need a small and light setup, otherwise there are significantly better lenses.
reviewer#26567 date: Apr-25-2016
compared to:Minolta 50mm f:1.7 AF same sharpness.
price paid:$4.95
positive:Super sharp, super fast AF focusing, power zoom cheap build quality, BUT who cares! its focus sharpness is amazing and its so cheap, i paid $4.95 on eBay. Its very lightweight allowing my KM 7D to focus it fast.
negative:Cheap ABS build quality, makes you think its a lousy lens, BUT its really great optics, MULTI-Coated optics.
comment:there is no sharper lens for Minolta A mt. in AF for ridiculous little money....... I took a single close up of a red tulip, just one flower head insides and it was shockingly beautiful colors and sharpness. I think Minolta took a really bad Rap with its ABS construction lenses that may have cost them buyers for sure, But Minolta certainly didn't go cheap on the optical design.
reviewer#26560 date: Apr-22-2016
compared to:35-70/4,
many of minolta clasics.
price paid:20 eur
positive:Can be very sharp if you get a good copy
negative:can be soft if you get a lemon.
plastic lens mount.
comment:I had two of these.
First one was super sharp wide open at any fl, but lens mount was broken... Second was sharp at 35 mm, but washed out at 70 (ok at F8).
Sharpest lens sample was better than 35-70/4. Sharpness rating 4.5 is given for the better sample.

There are two versions of the lens - one is with distance scale window and one without distacne scale. The good one was without distance scale.
reviewer#26555 date: Apr-19-2016
Minolta 35-105 old
Minolta 24-85 RS
Minolta 28-105 RS
Minolta 35-80 II
price paid:13 euro
Sheap
Light
negative:Sheap build that brakes easily
comment:I have bought two off those one attached to a camera and both where broken the same way when they arrived.The front lens group with barrel was loose.I managed to simply press it back on one of the lenses and wow what a sharp lens it is,
I haven't compared them side by side yet so I may have to rewrite this review later on.But right now I think that this lens is sharper than the listed ones att 35mm and 50mm booth wide open and stopped down,it's weaker att 70mm
It's a shame that they putted so nice optics in so crappy body,,,,,
Edited.....
Now I have tried 5 samples of this lens and contrary to the review above the two samples with distance window are sharper than the three other samples I have.
reviewer#18357 date: Sep-23-2015
compared to:Sony AF DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
Minolta AF 35-105 F3.5-4.5 N
price paid:with old minolta
Colors
Weight
underrated=cheap.
negative:plastic build
APS-C focal range?! if you want a real zoom
severe purple fringing in water reflections and night lights.
comment:So you have a Sony SLT (APS-C) camera and you got no money for a new 50mm or a 85mm fixed lens from Sony. Well you can start with this Minolta 35-70mm cheap zoom and get a sharp and superb 52.5mm F3.5 equivalent lens, an ok 75mm F4 equivalent and a cool washed out portrait 105mm F4.5 all in one piece.

I've been using this 35-70 as my main "50mm fixed lens" for street and landscape photography for about 2 years and I'm loving it. In Lightroom I found that the Sony 35mm F1.4G profile corrects the distortion of the Minolta AF 35-70 at 35mm, how cool is that? I'm sure there must be much better glass out there but for the price you can't go wrong.
reviewer#11617 date: Jan-17-2014
compared to:Anything else
positive:Cheap
negative:Cheap
comment:I'm changing my review because I think I was a bit to harsh. This lens is actually ok. To my surprise, you can get some interesting bokeh even at 70mm. It's cheap as dirt and does a decent job at taking pics.

The more I actually go out and shoot the more I realize that overall sharpness is over rated. I have a few Zeiss glass and think their awesome. But, going back and comparing you realize how much hype even lenses can be. It's a fun lens and like I said...dirt cheap.

Update: 2/16/2014
I've gotten some of my most interesting pics the past few weeks with this lens. For some odd reason the black and white shots have an eerie like quality to them. The pictures take on a really odd 3D effect if your shooting it on full frame. Not like my other glass- just different. This lens has it's own personality no doubt. I've now affectionately named it "The Creeper." You have to try out some black and white pics to see what I'm getting at. It's definetly interesting no doubt. That's Minolta for you.
reviewer#11565 date: Dec-29-2013
compared to:- Minolta 35-80mm f4-5.6 II
- Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 (original)
- Sony 35mm f1.8
- Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan)
- Everything else I own
positive:- Sharp as a tack
- Rich Minolta colors - wow!
- Fits in your pocket
- Did I mention it's cheap as dirt?
negative:- Not for the metal body crowd
- Not the greatest pointed near the sun
- Short 2x range but you knew that already
- Some pin cushion/barrel distortion
comment:This is the cheapest lens I've ever owned. It's also on my short list of all-time favorites of about a dozen I've owned. Seriously.

I want so badly to give this lens a 5 on sharpness. It's that good but, in fairness, my Sony 35mm prime beats it if you pixel peep. Surprisingly, my Minolta 35-80mm lens and Sony 18-55mm kit lens edge it out too. However, in the real world I much prefer this lens. The IQ is just... wow! Does pixel peeping really matter with a lens like this? It's not like I'm going to use it on a National Geographic assignment with editors scoping out prints with magnifying glasses. The bottom line? I'm very satisfied with its sharpness.

Color-wise this lens is the best example of classic Minolta colors I own. Better than my legendary Minolta beercan even. Better than my Minolta 500mm AF Reflex by a bit.

My copy didn't come with a hood so I bought an inexpensive metal screw-on vented one. It works far better than the bayonet one that came with my Minolta 35-80mm which I assume would be similar to what would have come with it. Still, there's the occasional problem pointed near the sun that's probably worse than modern lenses but far better than my 35-80mm which has problems with veil haze.

Put it all together and there's a wonderful synergy. I posted some pics in the samples forum. I only wish my humble skills could do this lens justice.

All this gushing aside, I know right off the bat a lot of people won't like this lens. It's not for the all-medal crowd being one of the lightest plastic lenses you can imagine. You'll forget it's in your pocket so don't run it through the wash. It's not for the folks who only want the finest best-of-breed G or Zeiss glass. Unfortunately, my a65 firmware won't correct this lens' distortion.

I can't recommend this as a walk-around lens because of its limited 2x range which simply doesn't fit enough use cases. However, the beauty of this lens is you can drop it in a pocket for those times it does work. To extend its range, I've toyed with a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter. Yeah, call me strange but it works extremely well. No real loss of sharpness even pixel peeping but it does add a touch of CA that's only noticeable magnifying an image far beyond your typical enlargement. I tossed an example of this in the sample forums too.

Hey, this is a hobby for me. I like playing with lenses. In that spirit I highly recommend this lens.
reviewer#11046 date: Apr-16-2013
compared to:18-55
35-105
28-85
35-70
price paid:20 used
positive:Very fast and accurate focus
Light
negative:Not so good range for APSC
Plastic
comment:I had few of this lenses, and AF is very fast and accurate on all of them. But zoom ring is not so good quality-
reviewer#11002 date: Mar-27-2013
negative:-Poor AF
-0.7m focus distance
-All cheap plastic
-Range on APS-C camera
comment:Cheap Minolta version in this focal range, it's not the more expensive and valued Minolta small "beercan" with constant F/4, and is made of cheap plastic, instead nice aluminium finish. But, anyway, it's a nice piece of kit in my bag, at the moment, my most used eBay product photo lens, it's very very sharp, maybe my copy, but I read, other has very sharp copies too. You can`t beat the price/performance for this lens :)
reviewer#10535 date: Sep-22-2012
compared to:Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 HSM
price paid:35 € (used)
positive:Cheap, tack sharp
negative:plastic
comment:Try this one with an extension tube for macro and use liveview, you will be surprised. It has the well known Minolta colours.
reviewer#10383 date: Jul-15-2012
compared to:Tokina 19-35
positive:Sharp,sharp sharp
Cheap
Light weight
negative:Feels cheap
Looks crappy on A900
comment:This was my forgotten kit lens from my Minolta 500si. I had never given a thought of using it on my A900, but boy does it shine. I was amazed at the sharpness of the thing, it really is amazing.
Am definately going to use it more to really test its capabilities as from my early impressions on the A900 it is the bargain of the century!!
reviewer#10287 date: Jun-10-2012
compared to:pro 2,8/24-70 lenses
positive:Picture quality for no price, 200 gramm weight
negative:Just a plastic kit lens
comment:I you are tired and need light quality zoom to attach to A900 body, that's it. Centre sharpness is very good even wide open, borders get nice when stopped down to F5,6-8, corners are poor but acceptable when stopped down - that's the matter of size.
reviewer#10090 date: Apr-5-2012
positive:Very sharp
Minolta colours
Cheap
Overall IQ
negative:Build OK but could be better
Useless hood
PF at larger apertures (below f6.3)
Limited range
comment:Very good budget lens.
reviewer#9872 date: Feb-1-2012
compared to:18-55mm SAM
18-70mm Sony
28-135mm Minolta
35-80mm Minolta
50mm f1.7 Minolta
positive:Small and light.
Well built.
Fairly sharp stopped down.
Easy to resell!
negative:Very soft at wide apertures.
Rubbish range for APS-C.
Worst Minolta lens I've come across to date.
comment:This lens just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. Maybe I just had a bad one, but on both a Sony A100 and a Sony A33, its very soft at full aperture. It improves stopped down, but its never great. Best points are that it is solid and reliable and unlikely to let you down if you're satisfied with its mediocre IQ.

Compared to the Minolta 35-80 F4-5.6 II, it feels much better built and I expected its IQ to be better, but the 35-80 is simply better at every aperture and focal length. I realise I am going against the general consensus in stating this, as almost everyone else seems to score the 35-70 higher than the 35-80 and this is what I expected as well, but it simply hasn't been born out in practice.

I read FullFrameShooter's review with interest below mine, maybe this lens performs much better on a full frame sensor than APS-C for some reason, but I only shoot APS-C these days.

I'm sure there are worse Minolta lenses out there, but personally I'm yet to find one.
reviewer#8879 date: Apr-7-2011
compared to:- Minolta AF 35-70 f4
- SAL-2875 f2.8
- SAL-50 f1.8
price paid:30 EUR
positive:- Minolta colors
- Minolta bokeh
- quite sharp on fullframe
negative:- sharpness average on APS-C
- plastic mount
- plastic body
- range
comment:I'm going nuts! This little plastic throw-away is as sharp as the razors edge on my fullframe Alpha 850 but just average on APS-C (Alpha 350). Everything's plastic here and it looks really Mikey-Mouse-like on a fullframe camera but hey, man! it does the job! So if you have the chance to get one in good condition - do so!
reviewer#8242 date: Nov-12-2010
compared to:Sony 18-70 3.5-4.5
Minolta 50 1.7
positive:- sharp
- colors
- faster than kitlens
- cheap
negative:- low contrast in backlight (need hood)
- CA when wide opened
comment:It was my first lens after 18-70 kitlens. I really like it. Sharpness is good when wide opened and very good when stopped down. Good colors (much better than 18-70).
CA when wide open, but not realy ugly and can be fixed easely.
reviewer#8146 date: Oct-26-2010
light
cheap
negative:cheap
range
comment:Found my copy in mint condition, very nice colors, incredible sharpness for such a cheap lens. Weights nearly nothing. Better then the kit lens.
reviewer#7942 date: Sep-5-2010
compared to:Minolta 28-80 II kit
positive:-stupid sharp
-cheap
-found everywhere
-weighs nothing
-Quick focusing
-focus ring is pretty beefy and rubberized
negative:-short focal range
-49mm filter thread (easily solved with a 49->52, 55, etc. adapter ring)
comment:Shot on Kodak Portra 160VC and 400VC with a Minolta Maxxum 4. Nothing touches it in the bang per buck department, if I was shooting pro-anything with an Alpha mount I would definitely have one of these in the bag. Super sharp AND cheap. Next to no CA even when shot wide open.
reviewer#7739 date: Jul-27-2010
compared to:Sony 18-70
positive:Cheap, yet produces quality photos. Easy to find. Small and light weight.
negative:Limited focal range. I wish it would go a little more than 70mm, or a little lower than 35mm. Construction feels cheap with all the plastic, but it works.
comment:This is my short range shoot-around lens. I found the quality of the photos taken with this lens to beat out the Sony kit lens, so I've switched this in place of the kit lens for most of my shooting. When I need to switch it up for more range, then I'll take out the beercan or xi.

UPDATE: Since working with this and other lenses more, I've realized just how LOUD and clunky this lens is when it operates. It works, takes good photos, but makes a lot of racket. I've downgraded the build rating from a 3 to a 2, reflecting this.
reviewer#7501 date: May-27-2010
compared to:28-80 silver
35-80 power zoom
28-85 beercan
price paid:25 Euro (used)
positive:Cheap
Quality of the optics
negative:Plastic bajonet
comment:Perfect basic walk around zoom for a film camera.
Combined with a (film)3i camera, setting on A, f6,7, this set is a perfect street shooter or e.g. a companion during a multi day trip.
You can find this lens in good condition for 25 Euro.
If I compare the optical quality and the results (with foto's 13 x 18 cm) this lens is not so prone to flare and this makes performance sometimes better than an expensive "opponent".
The limited zoom range is reflected in the weight of the lens.
I gave the build quality a 4 due to the plastic barrel.
reviewer#7482 date: May-25-2010
compared to:Sony AF DT 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM
price paid:15.74€ (with 3xi)
positive:- Cheap
- Light
- Sharp
negative:- Really short range
comment:An underrated lens, probably because of its older brother (Minolta 35-70/4) and its very limited range.

It's cheap (generally bundled with an old film camera for a few bucks), lightweight and sharp, but the range just sucks by today standards. It's too long on APS-C (52.5-105, making it a short telephoto lens), while having a limited range on FF. Zooms like the 24/28-85/105 have wider range and are more useful (on APS-C and FF sensors), but they cost a little more money.

Anyway, it's a good lens for beginners and/or if you're on a really tight budget. But if you can afford it, just buy a zoom with a wider range.
reviewer#7168 date: Mar-27-2010
compared to:MINOLTA 35-70 f4.
24-85, 24-105.
price paid:40US$
positive:This lens is a big supprice. Stepped down 2 steps it is a good performer on my A900.
negative:Needs to be stepped down at least two steps to get good contrast.
comment:I found this cheap and it looks like that too. It has a plastic flange but it is working ok. It needs to be stepped down at least two steps to perform satisfactory, and becomes sharper than the f4. It has the nice color look of MINOLTA-lenses and is a good "spare"-lens to keep in the bag. Though it is not super in any way, it is light and easy to carry around. Weights nearly nothing on my A900.

It was never used so I sold it an other sunny day.
reviewer#6825 date: Jan-26-2010
compared to:sony 18-70
price paid:- -
positive:light, sharp, rather sturdy (better than the kit lens, anyway)
negative:range is awkward on a200
comment:my lens of choice. (almost) always on the camera. a bit stopped down and in good light it makes near perfect pictures.
reviewer#6726 date: Jan-11-2010
compared to:M 50/1,7
M 28/2.8
Sigma 70-210
Sony sal1855
positive:Sharp, light, colours
negative:Flimsy, plastic, not good range for SONY ALPHA 200
comment:Exellent lens for the price I have paid. fantastic pictures!
reviewer#6640 date: Dec-26-2009
good AF
negative:limited range especially on APS-C
plasticky
loose action
comment:I bought this lens as a body cap for my 500si, and its not much more expensive than one!
Fantastic colours and sharpness, quick AF.
Would be good on a full frame digital, but limited on APS-C
Good for portraits.
Zoom and manual focus a bit loose but could be due to age.
Better than the kit lens over its limited range.
reviewer#6597 date: Dec-17-2009
price paid:Ł19
positive:SHARP!!!!
Typical Minolta Colours
Inexpensive
negative:Some slight CA in difficult lighting conditions
comment:This lens suffers badly in the ratings due to the sentiment over the build of the original Minolta AF lenses.

Got two copies of this lens, first and second version. Both are solid, zoom action smooth... do what they were designed to do. Nothing else you can say.
reviewer#6499 date: Dec-1-2009
price paid:30 $ (used)
positive:- very sharp (f4-f8)
- good color (color rating: 4,5)
- autofocus
- lightweight
- cheap and easy to find
negative:- range 35-70 mm
- build
- CA
- working under the light
comment:
reviewer#6345 date: Nov-7-2009
compared to:sony 18-70
price paid:30€(used)
positive:very cheap
easy to find
GREAT colors
very sharp(one of the best minolta under 100€)
very lightweight!
negative:500mm minium focus
very short zoom
comment:Don't understimate this lent only because is one of the cheapest and easyeast to find or by it's plastic apparence:
this is one of the greatest minolta lens and it's a must buy for low budget and even on hight budgets!

the body is made of plastic and rubber,it's not good as the old "beercan style" but it's very lightweight and usable and the general quality is great,a lot better than the 18-70.
Mechanically the lens is also great:
fast and not too noisy;have also a good boken and flare control.

The only thing bad about this lens is the lack of a macro(500mm minimal focus is a lot also for closeups)and a wider zoom range.

In my opinion if you have few bucks to spend buy it even if you won't regret it even if you have similar lens because it's very lightr
reviewer#6217 date: Oct-13-2009
price paid:nil
positive:Light, sharp enough
negative:Plastic mount, missing hood
comment:I got this lens in a Dynax 500si kit and used it a lot on film.
Then the plastic mount teeth have broken and it is now almost useless but I have tested it on the two digital bodies (5D and A700) and it is a shame I can't use it. It is an interesting zoom "normal to mid tele" which allows light weight and delivers nice images.
Definitely better IQ than the other film kit (28-80) and than the 18-70 (excpet for the range, of course)
reviewer#6177 date: Oct-4-2009
positive:Very cheap and easy to find in used market.
Most useful focal lengths.
Color is stylish under sunlight (warm and red/yellow-emphasis)
negative:A little under-sharp under strong sunlight and aperture wide-open.
Too plastic and loosen zoom ring/MF ring.
The color seems not suitable for portrait.
Lack of distance window.