Sony AF DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 59    1 2 >>
reviewer#12016 date: Nov-1-2014
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:70-210 f4 Beercan. Sharper but ops f6.3 at longest end!
price paid:350$
positive:Nice range. Light to carry. Nice walk-aroundlens.
Sharp enough as such. Close focus range very good.
negative:Distorsion gives some post photoshopping.
comment:This makes a very nice walk-around lens. Ok build but plastic. Fits very well on my A580, I use it as telezoom in addition to Zeiss 16-80.
reviewer#10910 date: Feb-5-2013
compared to:Sigma 150-500mm
Tamron 180mm Macro
Tokina 11-16mm
price paid:$600
positive:Overall sharpness
Wide zoom Range (great for video)
Size and Weight
Convenience
negative:Lens Creep
no replacement lens hoods for sale
comment:This was the first lens that I bought for my A35 and for day to day use, I LOVE this lens. There is enough range to photograph most anything that I want, whether I want to shoot a wide vista, or zoom in on a particular feature. I find that unless I am trying for a specific shot (ex. Extreme wide angle, extreme telephoto, or Macro) I use this lens. I took a month long trip to 25 national parks, and almost never took off this lens. I’m sure that if I looked at individual pixels I’d see the problems with the image listed in the other reviews, but zoomed to close to the point to where I start noticing individual pixels (and who really wants to zoom in enough that you can make out each pixel, other than so you can say “Ooh, look how much quality I have in my lens)
Compared to the other lenses I own, this one does not weigh much, and is very small, which when combined with the range, makes it a great lens to take on trips when I don’t want to be loaded down with 20 different lenses.

The biggest problem that I have with this lens is, as has been mentioned in other reviews, the lens creep. Unless I lock the lens closed, whenever the lens is facing downward, it zooms out, making it hard to get your precise zoom when you are pointing downwards (such as the times I wanted to take a picture looking down into a canyon)

Especially when cost is included into the decision, this is an awesome lens. I highly recommend it.

(Update 11 Dec 2013)
A few things to update. I have started going to music festivals where photography/video is allowed (primarily Irish Festivals) and this lens works amazingly for this purpose. I have been able to start filming the entire band, zoom in to just one musician, and then zoom in to just the guitarist's fingers strumming the guitar or on the frets, or move on to just the face of the lead singer as he is belting out the lyrics, all with amazing quality. Every once in a while the zoom ring jerks some, but if I am conscious of twisting it smoothly, this very rarely is a factor.

One new issue that I have with this is that Sony appears to have quit making replacement lens hoods for this lens. Mine came off when I was photographing rapids (my fault. I had put it on rapidly and had not twisted it till it clicked)and it was immediately swept downstream. I haven't been able to find a replacement since.
reviewer#10565 date: Oct-5-2012
Sigma 18-250
price paid:250 GBP used
positive:Sharp, even wide open at 250
Better than usual Sony build
Range
negative:Distortion at wide end
comment:On a par with the well rated Sigma and way better than the 18-200s (But more costly).

For versatility it is difficult to beat this lens. Great for everyday use and not too heavy or bulky.

Distortion at 18 is still better than the Sony kit lenses.
reviewer#10319 date: Jun-22-2012
positive:Great range
light
very sharp for such a big zoom range
negative:None
comment:Maybe I have a particularly good copy of this lens, but I am continually amazed at how sharp this lens is. When I work at 100% in PS, I see details in the image taken at the long end that I didn't even know the camera was capable of capturing. This is my go to lens whenever I travel and need to be able to go from wide angle to long telephoto without changing lenses.
reviewer#10183 date: May-8-2012
compared to:Tamrom 18-200
Tamron 70-300usd
Tamron 17-50
price paid:NZ$600 used
positive:great travel lens
excellent range
beats the Tamron 18-200 hands down.
negative:a bit slow focusing
can be soft at the long end
comment:I took this lens on a 8 month world trip last year mounted on an a100 and was really happy I did. I was going to take the Tamron 18-200 but that lens didn't 'cut the mustard' so I sold it when I got back.

On the whole, I really love the lens for its versatility, range and not having to cart around more than one lens. I could fit the body/lens combo in a snoot/holster type shoulder bag, along with my cards, cords, batteries, mini tripod and filters and it never seemed to be in the way.

I'd take it on more trips overseas mounted on the a580 I now own and readily leave the 70-300 usd at home.

Edit: Took it ( and the a580) on a trip to Australia and found it to be really versitile. It really is an amazing lens which seems to work even better on the a580 than the a100. It will be the last lens to leave my bag if I ever have to sell lenses for some reason.
reviewer#10161 date: Apr-30-2012
Minolta 70-210mm f4
Minolta 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 APO
price paid:£280 (used)
positive:Extremely versatile.
Good sharpness throughout its range.
Relatively light and compact.
Good minimum focus distance.
negative:Bit slow (max. f6.3) towards tele end.
Jack of all trades, master of none - good but not outstanding at any setting.
Relatively high levels of geometric distortion throughout its range.
comment:This lens surprised me by being better than I expected. I didn't really want it, but got it in a package with a couple of other lenses I did want. If you need a travel zoom with a huge range that takes good quality pictures throughout its range, then I can highly recommend it. I already owned the thoroughly excellent Sony 16-105mm lens which goes 2mm wider, which to me is more useful than the extra telephoto reach, which I already have well covered with other lenses. In test shots the 16-105 produced better IQ as well.

There is some barrel distortion at the wide end and some pincushion distortion at the telephoto end, along with a small amount of CA, as you would expect from a lens with this huge a range, but overall its very well controlled. Sharpness, while not as good as my 16-105, beercan, APO or primes, is definitely better than the 18-55mm kit lens or Minolta 28-135 (which I believe is a little over-hyped to be honest).

If I did a lot of travelling and needed to go light, or this turned out to have better IQ than the 16-105, I would almost certainly have happily kept this lens, but neither case is true. On the occasions when I do travel, my 16-105 + 100-300 APO cover an even greater range, produce better images and are really not much more trouble to lug around.

In summary I would say this is a good lens, likely to produce good-to-very-good results in almost all situations and appears to be well built as well as being light weight, but if you're into pixel-peeping, it never truly excels (but to be fair name me a travel zoom that does?).

Update: I've recently looked more closely at the distortion this lens produces and I've decided to significantly lower its distortion rating. Some distortion is inevitable with a huge range lens like this (unless you're prepared to pay huge sums of money). I would therefore expect barrel distortion at the wide end, gradually changing to pincushion distortion at the long end. Unfortunately this lens appears to exhibit fairly high levels of both barrel and pincushion (and several other) distortions throughout its range, which are extremely hard to correct in pp. I'm not talking about 'slap you in the face' levels of distortion, the likelihood is that if you only ever use this one lens, you'd probably never notice it, but take a picture with this lens, then take an identical picture with a non-distorting lens and you'll see it. Its fine for general purpose shooting (which is I guess what most people would use it for anyway) but if you require good geometrical accuracy then look elsewhere.
reviewer#9825 date: Jan-21-2012
Tamron 18-270 VC
Sigma 18-250
positive:Light
Good IQ
Fast focusing
negative:Lens creep
Motor not ssm
comment: Nice lens but I just could not handle the zoom creep. At least on my copy it was very loose. I have owned other lenses with creep but none to the degree this lens had. I realize it has a lock and if you hold it properly you can control it but for $600 I think it should be a little better. Ultimately went with the Sigma 18-250mm which is heavier but far better with creep. Note on the a77 the Sigma has to be sent back for modification so it will AF will work.
reviewer#9808 date: Jan-18-2012
positive:- Travel lens
negative:- 3.5~ 6.3
comment:Much sharper than Tamron 18-200.
Will add the lens value if aperture is at 3.5~5.6.
Trade it after bring in SAL 16105.
reviewer#9201 date: Jul-2-2011

Value!!!
Minimum focus distance.
Travel.
Zoom Lock.
negative:Wide end distortion (not really to bad).
Noisy focus.
comment:Hands down the most used lens I own. It is always on my A55. As long as I shoot APS I will never be without one of these lenses. An optical engineering masterpiece at 14 X zoom with this level of IQ.

The best travel solution available.

I have G lenses, some f/1.4 and f/2 lenses, but this lens gets more use then all others combined.

This lens on the A55 is as good as you need for over 90% of family, vacation and general shooting even in low light.

Highly recommended if you have an APS - body.
reviewer#9200 date: Jul-2-2011
compared to:Minolta 100-300
positive:Very good rangr.
Focus is as fast as the old one Minolta 100-300
comment:Very usfull range
All around lens
For those that they dont want to spend money and have always a lens on camera for all purpose.
Focus is as fast as the old one Minolta 100-300

For the price of 500 Euro i find it very good lens
reviewer#9111 date: Jun-9-2011
compared to:DT 18-70 kit
50 1.8 SAM
price paid:£300 GBP (Used)
positive:-massive range
-Great between 24 and 200
-Good tracking focus
-Good MFD
negative:-Distortion between 18 and 24
-A little soft over 200
-Poor manual focus due to fast ratio and play in the ring
comment:This is a great lens to replace the kit lenses as it covers the full kit range but the results are better at any length and it costs the same as 2 kit lenes at £200 each.

As you would expect from a lens with this kind of range it has quite a few small negatives but they are all totaly out weighed by how good this lens is between 24 and 200, I have had this lens about 6 months now and I am still more and more pleased with it every time I use it.

At the weekend my daughter rode her bike on her own for the first time and with this lenses great tracking and great sharpness in good light, every time I hit the button I got a perfect shot.

The focus mechanism on this lens has to cover quite a distance so the ratios are quite high, this causes the following problems:
-At the long end in low light it suffers alot of hunting.
-Manual focus is clumsy and the small amount of play on the ring causes a problem.
-It can overshoot if you are close to the subject.

This is a great lens and I would recomend it to any one who is becoming frustrated with the short comings of the kit lenses.
reviewer#9106 date: Jun-7-2011
price paid:Part of A55 Kit
positive:So much in one lens
negative:Creeps when hanging if not locked
comment:I'm new to DSLR/DSLT photography, so this review is more for the uninitiated than for you experts. This came as my kit lens with the A55 from B&H (that was offered briefly) so I have no other lens to compare to it.
The camera & lens were bought for a nature vacation, and exceded my expectations. The photos are spectacular. The AF seems very fast (there is disagreement in this among the reviewers here) - I was able to get sharp photos of birds in flight at mid-high zoom (and I'm not experienced in this feat). The manual focus (I only needed it for close-ups) seemed smooth and easy (other reviewers found it notchy, but that was not my experience).
I was concerned about low light, but was able to get good shots of static subjects in the A55's hand-held twilight mode. Only things I feel I could use are a low-light lens for live subjects (will probably get Sony's 35mm 1.8); and a wider angle (probably Tamron's 10-24mm, for size and price). Don't need a longer telephoto, since that would require carrying around a tripod as well. I bought an Olympus MCON-35 two-element close-up lens (discontinued, but like new from KEH) that fits on the 18-250, to avoid buying a separate macro lens, and am quite pleased with it . . . although I get very nice close-in shots with the 18-250 alone and need the Olympus only for super close-ups.
The only real annoyance with the 18-250 is that when it's hanging by my side, it creeps out if it's not locked, and it's been doing this since brand new; but my wife and I quickly got used to locking it regularly. We also noticed some flare in several shots, but the beauty of digital is that you can just keep clicking away until you get what you want.
BOTTOM LINE: Buy the camera body and just this lens and you're good to go.
reviewer#8955 date: Apr-21-2011
compared to:Pentax 18-250mm.
price paid:325 pounds
positive:Good enough for 90% of my photography. Nice and sharp, distortion corrected well by Lightroom lens profile. Better than the Pentax (Tamron built) equivalant, which I used on my Pentax K10d, now replaced by the A55. Feels better built than the the Pentax, and the zoom does not 'creep' like the Pentax did.
negative:Quite heavy and bulky on the A55. Would like a wider maximum aperture at the long end of the zoom, but probably wouldn't like the weight increase this would cause!!
comment:This is the 'lazy man's' lens - it does almost everything, and it the lens that I ALWAYS take with me. I was lucky enough to find a second-hand example on Amazon, but would have bought it new if I hadn't. I've used the Pentax equivalent a lot over the last three years, and the Sony does seem to be an improvement. It feels better built, and the zoom control stays where it is put - the Pentax always 'crept' out to the long end unless it was locked. The quality of the pictures I'm getting is far superior to those from the Pentax K10D, but how much of this is due to the camera, and how much to the lens, I can't really say.
The only negative is that it is heavy and feels a bit bulky on the the A55. Some reviews say that it focuses faster than the Pentax and Tamron equivalents - I haven't noticed this particularly, but fast focusing isn't important for most of the photography I do.
I would not hesitate to recommend this lens - it really is excellent.
reviewer#8907 date: Apr-10-2011
compared to:Tamron AF 70-300 F4-5.6 Di LD Macro
Sony AF DT 55-200 F4-5.6 SAM SAL55200-2
price paid:415 GBP (New)
positive:Surprisingly sharp across the range
Great colour
negative:Some distortion at wide / narrow end
comment:Saw this on special offer at PC World in the UK - I wasn't sure as I have other lenses that cover similar focal lengths on my a55.. but in the end I bought it for the convenience factor. Wow, its actually quite impressive in good light - I was surpassed at how sharp it can be if you stop it down a little. It does suffer from some pretty heavy distortion at the wide angle end and there's a bit at the long end too but that's easier to correct in post production. Overall, a good lens, well constructed, not too big / heavy but capable of great IQ if you take into account its limitations and very flexible range.
reviewer#8214 date: Nov-9-2010
compared to:sony 18-70
positive:sharp below 100mm
lightweight
good focal range
negative:soft over 150mm
comment:I really like this lens for what it is. I bought this as my first lens and since have added others. I still love this from 18-100 for landscape stuff- it is sharp wide open if you need it. The long range is noticeably softer but usable.
reviewer#8148 date: Oct-27-2010
compared to:Beercan - 70-210
Minolta - AF 24-85 F3.5-4.5
Minolta - AF 100-200 F4.5
Minolta - AF 35-105 F3.5-4.5
price paid:$540 (new)
positive:Best walkabout lens; decently sharp; good all-around performance.
negative:After a year and a half, it has finally loosened up enough that I need to lock it to keep it from extending when it ends up facing down. Not much of a negative, frankly.
comment:This is on my 550 98% of the time.
reviewer#7832 date: Aug-20-2010
positive:Very Long range.
negative:Sharpness is somewhat disappointing and not fast focus.
comment:A useful lens if you want nothing further along.
reviewer#7821 date: Aug-16-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Alone in it's class
price paid:500+ new
positive:Unusually sharp for a super zoom
negative:Only what's to be expected
comment:Maybe I lucked out with an extra good copy. It'll shoot anything from the moon to a back yard bird, and do it good enough.

I wouldn't part with my copy for anything. Distortion on the wide end easily corrected in PP. Sharp enough throughout it's range. I can't believe it hasn't gotten a higher overall rating.

Not too heavy. easily carried on camera or in bag.

Wat under-rated. My very first lens.
reviewer#7769 date: Aug-1-2010
compared to:Tamron 24-135
Minolta 100-300 APO
price paid:289GBP
positive:Range
Weight
Size
negative:Slowish focus
comment:I've had this lens 6 months and its sharpness still surprises me. I have now sold my 70-210 beercan and 100-300 APO as they were not being used (I still have 100-400 APO). Focus is not too fast so lens is not ideal for aviation or BIF but it does lock with spot-on accuracy. It is also very useful for CU work. Produces crisp and sharp A4 prints from A350/A700, probably capable of larger but that is max size of my printer. An excellent and very portable lens.
reviewer#7373 date: Apr-28-2010
compared to:17-70 OS HSM Sigma
18-200 Sony
positive:Good reach, very useable overall. Keeper for travelling light.
negative:Relatively slow focussing, distortion on 18 mm
comment:
reviewer#7344 date: Apr-25-2010
price paid:Ł330 (new)
positive:Terrific range
Remarkably sharp, especially when stopped down to f8 or higher
Good build quality
negative:Not fast
Fairly strong barrel distortion at wide end
comment:My main daytime lens. Absolutely terrific, and very good value.
reviewer#7293 date: Apr-15-2010
positive:-Great range
-Minimizes kit in bag
-Nice size
negative:-Not weather sealed
-Wish it held a wider aperture longer
comment:Great all around lens but is usually a bit soft compared to the Tokina. Colors not quite as good as the Sony 50mm or Minolta 28mm but better than the Sigmas. I use this lens 90% of the time due to its usefulness. Long end compares to the Sony 75-300mm but obviously goes much wider.
reviewer#6890 date: Feb-9-2010
compared to:Sigma 17-70
price paid:3600 NOK
positive:Huge zoomarea.
Light and travelfriendly.
Nice design.
negative:Sucks in a lot of dust.
Not very sharp at the long end.
Needs stopping down quite a bit.
comment:I bought this lens to make it easier to take the camera with me to work at sea. I think that given the huge zoomarea from 18-250 it gives nice pictures but not without a compromise.

I usually have to stop down to f8-f10 to get ok sharpness out in the corners, but then i also see a lot of dustbunnies doing this. It is nice and sharp in the center though.

Focus is quite slow, but that has not bothered me. It seems to always lock on to focus and does not miss.

I also get some vignetting when i have the hood on or dont stop enough down.

For a one-lens travel combo in good light it is perfect, but i have seen that i rather carry some extra weight with me when i go and have the option to change lenses if i want.
reviewer#6858 date: Feb-3-2010
compared to:Sony 50mm F1.7
Tamron 70-300
price paid:329 GBP (new)
positive:Huge range!
Pretty sharp
Convenience
negative:Some distortion at 18mm
comment:It is exactly what you would expect from a lens of this range... and probably more. Sharpness is suprisingly good and colour is nice. With an impatient child (and wife) in tow on most outings with the camera not having to change lenses is a blessing. For just over Ł300 this is a great example of an affordable one lens solution.
reviewer#6829 date: Jan-27-2010
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
compared to:Sony 50mm 1.4.
Sony 100mm macro.
Sony 18-70.
Sony 28-75.
Sony 70-300 G.
price paid:550 USD.
positive:Great all-purpose lens. Highly versatile; performs surprisingly well. Very affordable.
negative:Obviously, it's not as good as a prime or a zoom with a more reasonable range.
comment:This was my first lens (other than a kit lens), and it serves me well. Especially as a walk-around lens, it offers great versatility and convenience.

Clearly, it doesn't perform as well as any of my other lenses (again, other than the kit lens). But it performs almost as well as all of them put together!

If you are only buying one lens, this is the one. It may not be professional quality, but it is easily good enough for amateurs and useful for enthusiasts.
reviewer#6154 date: Oct-1-2009
compared to:Beercan 70 210
Tamron 17 50
Kit Lens 18 70
price paid:600AUS
positive:Versatile
Steadily sharp throughout the range
Focusses well with high contrast and good light
Weight
Great day lens for walking around
negative:Can flare a bit wide open at slow shutter speeds (probably normal)
Cannot focus when no contrast.
Focus very slow in low light, but to be expected, it is a day lens.
comment:I am starting to enjoy this lens. Only had it a day but I feel that it will be really useful for when walking around during the day. Cant wait to give it a real test run. Based on initial test shots the lens does have limitations but useful for what it was designed for. Reasonably sharp, good colour for its class and not a lot of distortion at wide angle. A little vignetting but my camera seems to vignette with just about everything.
reviewer#5756 date: Jul-25-2009
positive:Focal length range
Light & Compact
Optically v. good
Better than & replaces 2 kit lens
negative:No complaints for the versatility it offers
comment:Overall, a great 1 lens solution. If you must only have one and only one lens, then this is the one. Just get 1 fast prime to complement it.

Optically superior to 18-70 & 75-300 kit. Only flare control of 18-70 better (virtually no flare).

Don't expect contrast/clarity to challenge CZ 24-70; only CZ primes can do that!

On A700, autofocus is fast enough and useful even in Continuous mode.
reviewer#5595 date: Jun-25-2009
compared to:- CZ1680
- Tamron 17-50
- sal18-70
- sal55-200
- Minolta 28-85
- Minolta 28-75 f2.8
price paid:800 SGD (new)
positive:- Very sharp just 1 stop down.
- Very well built with good zoom feel.
- Handles distortion well.
- Reasonably priced.
negative:- Rubber ring a dirt magnet (for all sony lenses).
- Not as colourful as legendary Minolta lenses.
- AF not fast at tele end.
comment:A very versatile lens to own. Was terribly surprised by it's sharpness even at wide opened. It's razor sharp at 1 stop down for most focal length.

This superb lens (coupled with just a $10 bucks Tokina cheap UV filter) beats the hell out of my friend's Canon 24-70L lens (with expensive $100 bucks B+W UV filter)!!!

All images at F8, 70mm, ISO200 which came out shows my 18-250 on a700 are sharper than his 24-70L on 500D, even with SSS off.

Initially had reservations as heard many not so good comments about this lens. After owning it for almost a month, this is the lens to get for all-in-one solution.

It's actually almost as sharp as my cz1680 at 80mm, F8!!!

Must have for all Alpha owners!
reviewer#5288 date: Apr-25-2009
- extremely versatile
- excellent build quality
- smooth AF operation like SSM/AF-S lens
negative:- relatively slow AF
comment:A MUST have lens!

I have been resisting the urge to get a hyperzoom for 3 years. In the past I have tried Sigma 18-200 and was not impressed. I am now planing trip to Greece and do not want to carry a whole bag of lens with me. thus I got this hyper zoom based on the exuberant reviews it got all over the net.

sony 18-250 is quite remarkable achievement. Optically it cannot always come up to the standards of sigma 17-70 and Tamron 17-50 but is very very close. It outperforms the kit in just about any comparison except the AF speed. Sharpness is very good from 18 to 250.

AF operation is very interesting. It is not very fast but is very smooth and A700 can track moving subjects and position the focus with great precision. AF-C seems to operate incredibly well with this lens.

Build quality is excellent IMHO better than any offering of Tamron or Sigma sold today - including their top line stuff. Only thing is the rubber on the focus and zoom rings that is prone to collect small particles, but is easy to clean.

The lens does incredible portraits and bokeh. It is also suitable for close ups (not 1:1 macro although a friends says that 18-250 takes well few extenders that allow 1;1 macro too). See the dandelion photo in the "Forum sample images"

Distortion is a problem at 18mm simply horizon and other straight lines get curved quite visibly. Well AFAIK this can be corrected well but is not good. At longer end I have not observed noticeable distortion.

I cannot yet rate flare objectively.

Overall I am impressed and very very happy. It seems that this hyper zoom will replace all my other zooms and leave me only with lens like 50 1.7, 85 1.4, 30 1.3 etc that hardly can be replaced by any zoom.

Some samples here

reviewer#5230 date: Apr-13-2009
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP12MP12 MP
price paid:250 USd (used)
positive:good vor traveling
negative:optic performance but cheap
comment:my first sony lens
reviews found: 59    1 2 >>