Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX A-mount lens reviews

reviews found: 37    1 2 >>
reviewer#11476 date: Nov-12-2013
compared to:Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
Sony AF DT-18-55mm F3,5-5,6 SAM
price paid:300 EUR (used)
positive:Solid build quality
Excellent picture quality
negative:Small zoom range ....
comment:A very solid high quality lens giving superb photos!
More useful than I thought when buying it!!
reviewer#11386 date: Oct-13-2013
compared to:sigma 17-35 asp full frame
positive:excellent flare control
negative:none
comment:Have used this lens on a couple of occasions now flare control is excellent even when shooting directly into sun
reviewer#11288 date: Aug-3-2013
Fast
Accurate colors
Distortion
negative:Not full frame
comment:On A77 I love this lens. It adds life to the images from kit lens with some distortion but not as severe as fisheye. The range is more than it sounds, it really is a lot.

Ideal for action sports, interior and architecture, travel as well as low light.

Buy one, you won't regret it.
reviewer#11088 date: Apr-28-2013
price paid:400 CHF
positive:Built like a tank, very solid
Flexible tool, very unlike other lenses

negative:Distortion takes some getting used to, not used to shooting with UWA
Not sure how much I will use it
Expected it to perform a little better in lower light situations
comment:Paid a good price for it so expectations not so high, and have not used it to its full potential yet, still learning how to use UWA. This seems like a great lens offering a lot of flexibility. Seems better around f4 and higher.
reviewer#11034 date: Apr-13-2013
compared to:sigma 10-20mm
price paid:£300 used
positive:good sharpness, good build,
good distortion control
comment:best uwa i have had very sharp ca, flare and colour could be better
reviewer#11006 date: Mar-30-2013
compared to:Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
price paid:620 AUD (new)
positive:Fun
Solid Build
f/2.8
negative:Flare but not unexpected
Need to use slimline filters to avoid vignetting
comment:Have only had this lens a couple of days but love it already.
This is a very fun lens I took it to my mates wildlife park and got some great shots of the animals with it. Also this is a great lens for indoor use with the wide aperture. This lens is also super sharp. I haven't noticed much CA as other people have complained about in fact the Sigma 10-20mm was much worse in this area. This lens is also built like a tank and is easily the most solid in my collection. As others have said the distortion is very easily fixed in post (that's if you want to). The only negative so far is the CPL filter I purchased with it causes major vignetting in the corners therefore a slimline filter will be required.
reviewer#10892 date: Feb-1-2013
compared to:N/A
positive:Sharp.
Quality build.
Great color.
Wide aperture.
negative:Not crazy about the MF-pull-ring. Just a personal preference.
comment:A great lens that deserves all of the high praise it gets. I love using this lens. It's perfect for landscapes and interior real estate photos. Highly recommend this lens.
reviewer#10746 date: Dec-1-2012
compared to:Minolta 11-18
price paid:500.00
positive:Built like a tank. Feels really balanced on my A77.
Very sharp at 2.8 on almost the entire frame.
negative:Keep sun out of frame and you will have no flare as wides are prone to do.
comment:I had some reservations about ordering this lens. After trying the Sony version and Minolta version, which i really did not care for, i was going to take a pass. But, i needed the wide angle. I am glad i did as the copy i have is very sharp from the center to almost the edge, where it only is a little soft, but you have to look for it. Very happy with this lens especially when compared to the other copies i have had. Its a keeper.
reviewer#10707 date: Nov-17-2012
positive:Easily corrected distortion, build
negative:Flare
comment:This is a very nice UWA lens that I came to like, photos are sharp. However, its main problem as expected with an UWA is flare control; any light source means a large possibility of ruining the shot.

The lens causes a distortion that can be corrected quite well in pp. the large aperture size which is at least one stop faster than most competition which gives it an advantage in night photography.
reviewer#10618 date: Oct-25-2012
price paid:620 EUR (new)
Normal filters (no gelating/internal s**t)
negative:Zoom not needed
Conversion from Nikon/Canon - MF method
comment:I have chosen this lens for various reasons. I needed wide lens for some outdoor photography, but wanted one that would work nicely indor for family gatherings etc.

So for outdoor use I wanted it to accept screw on filters (not internal, back or gelatin ones). For shots indoor where lighting conditions might vary I needed a bright lens, and tokina has advantage here in comparison to Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5.

It is great lens. I gave 5 stars in most categories. Distortion exists but it is expected from wide angle and easily correctable. Flare also is something I expect and unlike some others I actually like it in some situations.

I have two negative comments: This is such wide angle that the zoom is not really needed. Same effect can be obtained by making one step forward. It would be better to have the similar design of 11mm/ 2.8 prime lens.

Second is the fact that Tokina just changed the mount from Canon/Nikon lens. As such there is awkward switch AF/MF that does not work with Sony (at least sont A700). I still have to change it on camera body. So now I have to do it in two places: on camera and pull the ring on lens.

Not having zoom and MF-pull-ring would make lens smaller, chaper and probably better quality.

Having said that I am very pleased with the quality of the lens as it is. It is sharp, bright and build like a tank.

I didn't like the colors produced, but I gave 5 stars for color rating, as it is very personal prefference and I know my color reception is slightly off in comparison to other people.

Overally I strongly recommend this lens and consider it the best available at the moment. If tokina would make prime lens 10mm or 11mm I would replace AT-X116 immediately, but untill then I will keep it.

reviewer#10323 date: Jun-24-2012
price paid:350 EURO second hand
positive:- sharpness
- color matches Minolta glass
negative:- Flare control is not very good, but as expected with an UWA lens
reviewer#9993 date: Mar-4-2012
positive:Builts like a vault
Wide aperture
Nice handling
negative:Weight
comment:My favorite lens so far, loved it from the first day i got it

reviewer#9977 date: Feb-27-2012
compared to:Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5
Tokina 17mm f3.5 PRO
Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5
Tokina 20-35mm f2.8 PRO
positive:- Sharpest corner to corner among APSC UWA lens
- Excellent built
- Excellent Tokina color rendition
- works with A850 full frame!!
- Sharpness at f2.8 is extremely useful.
negative:- MFD could be improved
- some flare & ghost
- 11-16 is a tad too short.
- Tokina's usual CA.
comment:If sharpness is your number 1 concern, this Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 can deliver and it's the sharpest among UWA lens currently available for APSC cameras.

The sharpness in the center is usable from f2.8. I shot a lot of photos in low light so you can check my sample images on the flickr link below, or in Dyxum sample gallery.

CA is there but not too bad and easily corrected in post processing with lens profile. Distortion is simple curve and easily corrected too. Flare at night doesn't look bad but watch out ghosts when the light source hit the lens already. Colors rendition is excellent. Build quality is superb so no need to mention if you have used Tokina lens before, you will know it's one of the best in the industry.

11-16mm range is a bit too short and like people suggested, it's better to think of this lens as a prime and work with that mindset accordingly. You will not have the convenience of zoom lens here and if you expect so before you buy, you will be disappointed.

Extra bonus! I found this lens works perfectly at 16mm with A850 full frame! (with hood and filter on). Without hood and filter, you can go at much as 15mm. Normally A850 will automatically crops the image if Sony APSC lens is mounted. Good news is it doesn't crop automatically with 3rd party lens

Kurtmunger mentioned the problem with autofocus as a deal breaker, but my copy is problem-free and doesn't even need micro adjustment. I believe Tokina may have sorted out the problem already with the latest production batch.

In summary, a thoroughly enjoyable experience with this lens. When I need UWA lens for my A77, I always reach for this one and can expect professional results. I used to mount this lens on A850 occasionally and it has worked well, until I got Tokina 17mm f3.5 to replace that duty.

See my photos with Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 PRO on my Flickr collection at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeispixels/collections/72157628204412995/
reviewer#9942 date: Feb-17-2012
compared to:- Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM
- Sony Carl Zeiss T* 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM
price paid:1800 MYR (Used)
positive:- Tough build
- Brilliant sharpness (for an ultra-wide)
- f/2.8
negative:- No fast/silent motor
- Ugly blue fringing (yes, blue)
- Quite limited zoom range
- Needs two steps for MF (on lens and body)
comment:I LOVE this lens ever since I lay my hands on it for the first time (from a friend). I knew this would be my UWA even though there's a lot of other options of UWAs out there.

This is the only UWA lens I currently have (well.. I have the 16-35mm ZA, but I'm using APSC body. Besides, how many UWA does a photog needs anyway). It is sharp enough at f/2.8, and at f/4 and above it gives just the sharpness that I need (though it is never as sharp as the 16-35mm ZA).

A very tough tank-like build. I accidentally bumped the lens body a couple of times, not even a scratch. Really suitable for heavy and abusive usage.
Distortion is quite heavy, especially at 11mm.. but it is expected from an UWA. From the first day I've got the lens, I've been using it for almost everything! Portraits, landscapes, events, even sports. People hates the distortion of an UWA and so they avoid such lens, but it really is just about your framing and composition.

One thing that I dislike about the lens is the heavy and ugly CA. It gives blue fringing at any f stops that you use. Not really that noticeable if you don't pixel peep, but when you crop your pics, you can start to see them.

Lastly, it only uses screw-driven motor. Not that much of a problem for stills, but it can be useful for AF videos (I'm using an A77). The AF/MF clutch concept is not that efficient too. I have to switch to MF in both lens and camera body for be able to use manual focus.

All in all, a great performing lens.. but I might let go of it once I got a FF body. Can't wait for FF + 16-35mm ZA.
reviewer#9938 date: Feb-16-2012
compared to:Sony 16-50mm 2,8
price paid:580 EUR (new)
positive:Focus speed
Aperture speed
negative:none so far
comment:Great lens, super sharp, build solid. The distortion is for an ultra wide angle lens quite good and over all okay (quite heavy at 11mm). The lens flare is much better then the one from the Sony 16-50mm 2,8.
reviewer#9667 date: Dec-6-2011
compared to:Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6
Well built
negative:Less zoom range than any other ultrawide
comment:I love this lens. I do a lot of landscape shooting, and so I've wanted an ultrawide for a while. Well, I read and read and researched and read and researched and read, and finally decided that the folks who said "the less zoom range, the better the IQ" were probably right. So I took the plunge and bought this Tokina. I love it (did I say that already?). It's sharp, I've never seen it flare, it's well built, the hood fits in my backpack and Slingshot 102AW... Yes, I wish it had the range of Tamron's 10-24, but I wouldn't change one iota of this lenses image quality for more zoom range. Some people say it's basically a prime, because it has such a small zoom range. Well, I don't buy that line of reasoning. I use it most at 11mm, sure, but I do find myself zooming "all the way out" :P to 16mm more than I expected to. And it's sharp enough that cropping down to about what you'd get from a 24mm is very possible. This is a great lens, period.
reviewer#9648 date: Nov-30-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:don't have anything that wide except sal 16-80 cz - but , that is completly different lens...
price paid:650 AUD (new)
positive:this is how you make a good lens
It is like a prime lens with its short range
like the sharpnes a lot - even wide open
colours are bit different that sony ones - more cold - blue , but I like that
did I already told you that I love that build quality ?
negative:so - if you don't want any CA , don't buy it , otherwise it is a perfect little gem !
comment:have try it on full frame just for fun at 16 mm , and camera and lens didn't like each other ( lots of CA , sharpness just not there - well, I didn't adjust it so that is more or less mine fault , and vignette of course - but if you remove filter , that almost dissapears ! ).
all in all I highly recommend this lens if you like primes ( see comment about it ) and wide angle and you want to learn how to compose with it !
reviewer#9591 date: Nov-15-2011
compared to:SAL1650F2.8
price paid:580 EUR (new)
positive:2.8 all the way
Built like a tank
Great feel to zoom and focus rings
Great FF 16 mm prime
negative:Filter size
HEAVY
Manual focuss by pulling back the focus ring doesn't work, you have to press MF on the camera also
comment:At 11 mm you have to watch your feet! This not so little beauty changed my outlook on photography. Stellar performance at the wide end (but that is why you buy it). At 16 mm you can do (a bit) better (otherwise sharpness 5). A the low end the SAL1650F2.8 is better than the ATX116F2.8 at the long end. Great contrast and colour. I have seen reviews with complaints about nasty CA but have not managed to generate CA that cannot be fixed in Lightroom or is for pixel peeping. Very sensitive to flaring if used carelessly and flaring can be ugly, but all the UWA lenses suffer from flare and I have managed to obtain some quite artistic flare effects at night. Works really well as 16 mm prime of FF without vignetting (at 11 mm you are looking though a tunnel though as expected!)
reviewer#9537 date: Oct-28-2011
negative:11-16
comment:I use this UWA for portrait as manage to serve me with sharp image. Worth to invest.
reviewer#9319 date: Aug-10-2011
- sharp
- fast
- internal focus & zoom
- focus ring lockable
negative:- MFD (althoug 300mm is no big deal)
- screw driven AF (again no big deal unless you want a wide angle lens for filming)
comment:I have been looking at a wide angle zoom for quite a while. The Tokinas "rivals" were the "Sigma - 10-20 F3.5 EX DC HSM" and the "Tamron - SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical IF".
Yesterday i had a chance to try the Sigma (on a Nikon body) & the Tokina (Sony version). Both performed well, while i liked the HSM and longer range of the Sigma i chose the Tokina for the faster aperture (and in fact the much better price, plus i got a set of Hoya filters for this lens and the Tamron 70-300 i bought).
While the lens has a noticeable distortions it is much less than the "Tokina AT-X 17 AF 17mm F3.5" (on APS) and the "SAL1855" (@18mm).
The build quality of the Tokina feels very good, the internal zoom and focusing improves this impression. The size is about the same like the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (or the Minolta 28-75 f2.8), the lens cap is much larger (this was exspected of course).
I had no problems with the AF accuracy with the shots i took so far.

I will write something more when i had some more time to play with this lens

reviewer#9194 date: Jun-30-2011
negative:11-16 is a limited range for a zoom
AF issues
Old Design with Screwdrive
Flares quite badly
comment:A quirky lens, probably the quirkiest I own. The design is build is solid but for a new lens its uses an old screwdrive motor. AF can be a little unreliable, with focussing at infinity problematic for a number of users - some also seem to find it focuses better from close up to infinity than vice versa - I always put my hand up close to bring the focus back before I focus on a distant object for that reason (and my hit rate for focussing does seem to have improved a bit). And if you so much as catch a hint of the sun, it flares up.

So given the above, why would you want this lens? Because it us SHARP and Fast.. even wide open its super sharp in the centre and the corners are acceptable.. stop it down to around 5.6 and its eye-bleedingly sharp from corner to corner - much more so than any other Ultra Wide Angle I've read about or used. For that reason, I've sold my other UWA lens and take this one with me almost everywhere, just in case I feel the urge to get that unique UWA look. Not a lens for everyone, but I've fallen in love with mine.
reviewer#9131 date: Jun-14-2011
- Good colors
- Fast autofocus
- I see no CA problems
negative:- Prone to flare
comment:I have long pondered whether or not to get this lense, and was considering mainly the Tamron 10-24 for its range and lower price, and also the sigma for the 8mm widest angle. In the end I went for this one because of excellent reviews and the f2.8; and I am really happy that I did. It is truly an excellent lens:
- Sharpness: I was amazed by how sharp this lens is, it is truly very nice.
- Distortion: easily fixed, if you would want that. I find I sometimes want the distortion for the effect it gives.
- Focus distance: This is not always as close as one might want, given the need of UWA's to get up close and personal. However, it is not thát bad either, and my overall estimate is that you can focus at about 15 centimeters (1/2 foot), which is actually less than the advertised 1 foot focus distance.
- Range: I find myself using both the 16 and 11 ranges and everything in between, mostly when I want to get rid of some clutter or to help farme the shot. 11 is used mostly and certainly wide enough for what I want.
- Manual focus: I still have to use the on-camera switch to use manual focus, which is not really a big deal.
- F-Stop: The F2.8 has already given me many handheld shots at shutter speeds and iso's I would usually not be able to get, so I am very happy with that.
- CA: There are some complaints on the net about nasty CA, but I really have not noticed that at all.
- Flare: There is indeed some flaring, but now that I come to think of it I will do some tests without the Hoya filter and see whether that makes it better. Also, I still have to learn how to use this lens properly.
- Focus: I also found this lens to be very fast on the autofocus when tested inside dimly lit pubs and religious venues. for example, I find it beats my 28-75 tamron on all counts except flare...
- Hood: The lens hood is not loose as some reviewers say: it means they have not yet figured out the click system. I also thought the hood was loose until I forced it a bit (I ruined some shots where the hood appeared in the image), and when you turn it a bit harder it clicks shut and does not move at all.
- Build The build is nice, and I can't say I find it too heavy. It balances well on my A230, which is a very small cam in itself. This lens makes my modest A230 feel like an advanced amateur instead of a crippled piece of plastic - As they say, better spend €€€ on good class and buy a cheap body rather than vice versa.

Overall: maybe I just have an extraordinary copy of this lens, or maybe it just rules, but I am really, really happy with my purchase. I love wide angle shooting, and this has opened up a new world with a lens which I will enjoy for years to come. The price was a bit steep, but me and this tokina will grow old together and its quality will pay itself back over time :)
reviewer#9084 date: Jun-4-2011
compared to:Sigma, Sony.
price paid:590 AU
positive:The quality of the images it produces, which is what it attached to the camera for in the first place.
negative:None, Nil, Zero
comment:Just buy it. The f/2.8 gives this an edge enough, and this lens will not disappoint you, no matter how picky you are. I would buy it again.
reviewer#8929 date: Apr-16-2011
compared to:Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Sony 18-200 f3.5-6.3
Sony 16/2.8 Pancake (E-Mount)
price paid:Around 500 GBP
positive:Constant f2.8
Lockable focus ring
Great build quality
negative:Purple fringing
Flare control
Limited range (not a big deal)
comment:If you want a wide angle lens for your APS-C Sony DLSR, I whole-heartedly recommend the Tokina 11-16. As others have said, the limited range really isn't a big deal, as 99% of the time you'll have it set to 11mm. Sometimes I wish it was a little bit wider, but not often. 11mm is wide enough for most things (16.5mm equivalent).

The lockable focus ring is great - I like to set the hyperfocal distance in MF and lock the focus ring. It makes a great tool for street photography because the hyperfocal distance is so close, and you basically get rid of the need to focus - you just press the shutter and get an instant snapshot.

Build quality in general is very good (which is something Tokina are known for). The lens feels like a quality product, and includes a metal mount, flock-lined lens hood, and focus distance window. The lens cap sometimes isn't the easiest to attach, due to a somewhat shallow finger grip, but this is easily changed for an alternate if you want.

Flare control is not so great, and the lens sometimes leaves a weird rainbow streak in my shots. I don't generally use it with a filter, but I often neglect to use the lens hood. Purple fringing is also not so great, although at least you can remedy this in post processing. Sharpness is great (for a wide angle). The sharpness didn't set my world on fire (I'm too used to the 85ZA), but it is more than fine for a lens of this focal length - probably the best I've seen in this class. Constant f2.8 is always nice, and activates the extra focus sensor on certain cameras.

All in all, unless you want something wider or cheaper, this lens should really be a no-brainer for APS-C cameras. Try it - a wide angle will change your photography.
reviewer#8755 date: Mar-7-2011
compared to:Sigma 17-70 DC OS HSM
Sony 35/f1.8
Tamron 17-50/f2.8
price paid:430 GBP (new)
No rotating external parts when autofocusing
Solid build
Consistent performance across the range
negative:Reports as 20mm f2.8 in the EXIF
Autofocusing isn't it's strong point
comment:Excellent lens and very happy with my purchase. I purchased this lens on the assumption that a smaller range would mean it had more consistent performance across that range. This is certainly true of this one. It is sharp and focuses ok, although I've found it to be a little bit inaccurate in low light conditions. There is some CA in high contrast situations but nothing disastrous. Good low light performance although edges can be a little soft at f2.8.

PS Retracted comment about the slightly loose lens hood. It does click into place.

reviewer#8624 date: Feb-7-2011
compared to:Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC
Sigma 20mm 1.8 EX DG
price paid:515 Euro(new)
positive:Fast
Good built
negative:Long MFD
Wish it was a 10-20mm like the Sigma
comment:I was forced to sell my Sigma 20mm 1.8 EX DG and the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC when I bought the A55 due to the aperture problem with the Sigma's so I bought this one to replace both.

It's good lens but I hate the fact that Tokina doesn't make lenses with really short MFD's like Sigma does and which I like.
reviewer#8621 date: Feb-7-2011
price paid:405 GBP (new)
positive:Great build quality, smooth & tight manual focus & zoom, sharp and colourful
negative:AF/MF push-pull clutch on focus wheel only engages/disengages the focus wheel from the focusing mechanism on the a55, for Auto/Manual switching you have to use the AF/MF switch on the camera body (no big deal). For some reason the EXIF data for this lens IDs it as a Minolta AF 20mm f2.8???
comment:My first ultra-wide and very impressed with the quality - build & image. Chosen over the Sigma 10-20 due to the Tokina having constant f2.8. Big glass means big (read: expensive) filters, but that's the price you pay for 2.8 speed. It's heavy, but that just adds to the class feel of the beast. Only used it in daylight so far as I've only had it a couple of days but from what I've seen so far, this one's a keeper. The EXIF ID data stuff-up is mildly annoying but something I can live with as the focal length & aperture used output correctly.
reviewer#8558 date: Jan-24-2011
compared to:Sigma 10-20/4-5.6
Sony 16-105/3.5-5.6
price paid:660eur
positive:sharp, fast, build, F2.8
negative:limited range, CA, price
comment:Replaced my ex sigma 10-20/4-5.6 with this one. This Tokina wide angle lens is very sharp, from F5 is really good, from center to corner, with excellent results at F8 across the range. Wide open is sharp at center, but corners are not.
Just 11-16mm range is somewhat limited, but i use it 95% at its widest,so it's not a big deal.
I've noticed it has some bad CA in some high contrast scene...but this can be solved in post processing.
Build quality is superb.
Overall, great lens if range is not issue,very sharp from F4.. but prone to some nasty CA

reviewer#8365 date: Dec-6-2010
positive:
negative:Only negative for me is that it is not a full frame lens
reviews found: 37    1 2 >>