Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM A-mount lens reviews

price paid:229 EUR (new)
hood included
fast aperture
negative:plastic mount
comment:I like this fast lens. Works well at maximum aperture 1.8. I tested this lens in some portrait shot in a live concert with my plesaure result.
reviewer#10332 date: Jun-26-2012
compared to:Minolta 50mm f1.7
small
hood included
fast
negative:flimsy
plasticky
comment:I am surprised by just how good this lens is! I had aMinolta 50mm f1.7 before and loved that lens. I can honestly say I prefer this one to the Minolta - mainly because of the extra width being a 35mm but also its faster, focuses closer and has a proper hood. Maybe the Minolta has that lovely Minolta colour and bokeh but this one is probably as good. IMHO anyway.

Light and plasticky maybe but so what if the images are top drawer and the price is right!
reviewer#10274 date: Jun-8-2012
compared to:30/2.8 macro
positive:-cheap
-light
-hood
-sharp
comment:Is a very sharp lens with wide open. Lightweight and manage to deliver natural color. Build quality for plastic mount is not a big concern for me. Of course, not so bad like people claimed; Is good.
For the one who are interest to have a light weight set up, this is the must have lens. Light, fast, cheap and sharp.
reviewer#10226 date: May-20-2012
price paid:200€
positive:-Sharp
-Fast
-Light
-Great in low light
negative: -A bit strong purple fringing wide open in strong light
comment:Great lens for the price especially on APSC where its 52mm.
Plastic all around with some wobble, but for the price and the image quality its great.
reviewer#10153 date: Apr-28-2012
- Quiet
- Light
- Nice Hood Included
negative:- Bit of barrel wobble
comment:Recently purchased this lens new after reading about it on all the review sites (here and Munger, DxO, etc) which are overwhelmingly positive.

All I can say is, this lens delivers very sharp images with nice color. At f1.8 it does pretty well and is usable for certain applications, but at f2.8, it's awesome.

The hood on this lens is really decent. I like that Sony included it and wish they did the same with the 50mm f1.8. This lens is my wide portrait and street lens while the 50mm and beercan do my close up portrait work.

The build is a non-issue. If anything, it's advantageous because it's so light.
reviewer#10152 date: Apr-27-2012
Minolta 28mm f2.8
price paid:£80 (used)
positive:Sharp.
fast.
Light weight, but WELL BUILT!
Superb IQ.
negative:None that I've found.
comment:Why does nearly everyone seem to feel the need to give this lens a low build rating just because it is plastic and light weight? Just because the lens body is made of plastic it does NOT mean the lens has poor build quality and won't last. personally I hate lugging around heavy lenses, as long as they are well designed and put together (and this lens very definitely is) give me light weight every time.

I love this lens, it is my favourite prime, has never let me down and is without question one of the sharpest lenses in my collection. It appears to me that you are getting close to 'G' class performance for a relatively budget price. What's not to like?
reviewer#10149 date: Apr-26-2012
Minolta 135 f/2.8
Minolta 35-70 f4
Minolta 28-80 f4.5-5.6
Sony 18-55 3.5-5.6
positive:Perfect indoor lens for APS-C sensor. Sharp. Flare resistant. Fast AF.
negative:Plastic feeling, noisy AF during filming.
comment:I love this lens for indoor shooting. Perfect angle of view. Very sharp from around f:2.2. Sharp in the center wide open. It is very light. It has a plastic feel. It is not as good for indoor portrait as my Minolta 50mm f1.4. But it is very good. I use it always for party and concerts.
reviewer#10089 date: Apr-4-2012
compared to:- Minolta 50mm f/1.7
- Sony DT 50mm f/1.8
- Minolta 28mm f/2.8
positive:- Brisk and accurate AF
- Lens profile for compensation with A77
- 55mm filter size.
- Sharp and nice colours rendition
- Lightweight
- Comes with a decent hood
- Cheaper compared to entry level Nikon and Canon 35mm
negative:- some light barrel distortion if not used with A77 to correct it.
- SAM makes less annoying motor sound than the DT 50mm 1.8 and it's somewhat loud.
- Not quite suitable for video work.
comment:If you have an A77 want to get a normal lens to shoot with, you have Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sony 35mm f/1.4 G, Minolta 35mm f/2, Minolta 35mm f/1.4 G, Minolta 28mm f/2, Minolta 28mm f/2.8 and Sony 35mm DT f/1.8.

If you look at the price tag, most of us will only be considering either the Minolta 28mm f/2.8 or Sony 35mm DT f/1.8. Both are great lenses but if you want a budget but excellent performer, Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 is certainly the winner.

It's very sharp beyond f/2.2. Colour rendition is superb. Although I prefer the old Minolta lens colours. The lens also comes with the hood to block flares which is nice. If you can find one for a reasonable price, it's certainly a good lens to your line up. If you are looking to upgrade any Sony kitlens, this should be a lens you will have to consider.

For A77 users, this lens have an added bonus which is the lens compensation feature. The A77 can fix the CA, distortion and vignetting issues in the camera body make it an even more attractable lens.

Aside from AF motor noise and strictly using it for photos, this lens is certainly best bang for the buck. Even if you are going full-frame, this is the lens to buy before you can upgrade to Sony 35mm f/1.4 G or Sony 50mm f/1.4.
reviewer#10034 date: Mar-17-2012
compared to:Sony 50/1.4
Tamron 90/2.8 macro
positive:Sharp!
Light, compact
Total bargain.
negative:Silly SAM motor
Feels plasticky
comment:It may be plasticky feeling with a pretty cheap feel but I'm very very impressed with this little beauty's IQ.

Even wide open, the IQ is good enough for me and compares very well to the other two primes I mention above.

I'll forgive the horrible SAM motor and cheap build quality. The AF is quick enough, but I don't like the AF/MF switching on the body. If it breaks, it's so cheap, I'll just buy another!

I find 35mm far more useful than 50mm on aps-c and this is my go-to lens for indoor low light now.
reviewer#10017 date: Mar-10-2012
compared to:Minolta 50 F1.7
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4
Tamron 18-250
Various other manual focus lenses
price paid:$150 usd (used)
positive:Great images. Light. Cheap. Nearly normal on APSC.
negative:I don't love the feel of shooting with this lens. Not FF (in case I ever upgrade my camera).
comment:Overall, I like this lens, and it gives very nice results at a low price. I have no regrets about having bought it. However, unless I need auto focus for quick moving subjects, I generally would rather shoot with my manual focus SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 than with this. The feel of the Takumar is just so much better than with the Sony. The focus ring on the 35mm isn't very smooth, and the lens feels almost too light. I don't think the body on the 35mm is cheap, but if you're looking for a certain tactile feel when you shoot, this lens isn't for you. If you just want an inexpensive lens that takes great photos and is fast enough for indoor photography or selective focus shots, this 35mm could be great.
reviewer#9964 date: Feb-23-2012
compared to:minolta 24-85
SAL50f1.8
SAL55-200
SAL18-55
Minolta 50f1.7
price paid:170 CAD (used)
positive:range
light
good walk around lens
negative:distortion
noisy
cheap feel
comment:more useful indoor than the 50f1.8. But 50f1.8 is better for portrait as it has less distortion. Also 50F1.8 has better flare control. Wide open is slightly sharper than the 50F1.8. Hunt in low light sometimes. Color is less warm than the 55-200. Overall a good indoor lens but I tend to like 55-200 and 50F1.8 more for portrait shots. Color is not as nice as Minolta 50F1.7 (at least for portraits).
reviewer#9925 date: Feb-12-2012
compared to:16-50
positive:Plastic so light, unobtrusive, sharp, nice colours
negative:Plastic build so how long will it last
comment:Really useful little lens for using around the house - particularly for parties, friends round family etc

The IQ is very good, auto focus absolutely fine.

Also, very good to take outside and leave all the other lenses behind. Gives completely new take on composition and positioning. Memories of my childhood in fact, with my grandfather and father taking film pictures with their 35mm cameras.

For me the image quality and focusing are very good - not for the money - just very good per se.

I have given a "5" for build quality as although it is plastic it feels well put together and the lightness is lovely. I will see how it goes and lasts over the next few months to see if this has to changed down - hopefully not.

reviewer#9886 date: Feb-4-2012
compared to:Sony 50mm 1.4
price paid:199USD
positive:Cheap
negative:Cheap Build
Manual Focus Ring
comment:This is a great lens for the money. It looks and feels like a toy, but optically it is a great lens. On APS-C it reminds me of the old 50mm standard lens in the old 35mm days. A Cheap and Cheerful lens
reviewer#9883 date: Feb-4-2012
compared to:Minolta 24/2,8
Sony 50/1,4
price paid:205 EUR (new)
positive:sharpness
small size
cheap
negative:plastic build
comment:My copy of this lens is pretty sharp, more than SAL 50/1,4. On the other hand I don't know if its plastic build is for ages but it can only surprise me. Time will tell. Nice lens.
reviewer#9878 date: Feb-3-2012
compared to:50 1.7 minolta
35 1.4G Sony

price paid:RM700 Jan 2012
positive:Cheap & Good, Light weight, colours, IQ, compact, fair bokeh
negative:Manual focus not smooth, does not feel solid enough, plastic mount, but overall hard to fault for this price. I'm sure it was built this way for a good reason.
comment:Tested this lens with the "G-lens" conterpart, and I got to say for 1/6th of the cost of a G lens, Its a steal, well even if the G was 1 to 1 priced as cheap as this lens, I'd still pick this lens for the optics any day. The G out does this lens on built and MF feel, but with AF running full time, and single hand shooting, its a no brainer.

Bought this lens before my trip to Singapore. As I had been shooting my trip to Vietnam on a 50mm 1.7+A77 body, and I got to say I needed wider as it was a pain and a little too challenging to shoot constant 75mm eqv, so I drop the cash on the 35 1.8 and I was almost sure I'd walk away grinning.

after the Singapore trip and about 1000 pics latter, I can't be happier. If u have an APS-C body and deciding between 50 or 35... just get the 35! if u want something longer, get a 85 1.4Z or 135 1.8Z...

This lens prob isn't the bokeh king, but It does deliver some decent bokeh, and the Optics is alot sharper then the 50 1.7 or the 35 1.4G. Although its a very affordable lens, I feel they could have top up more on the built and a metal mount for such a deserving lens. I though about manually upgrading my lens with a metal mount, but unfortunately the plastic part is all made in such a way you cannot take an old alpha lens metal mount and replace the plastic mount.

I just hope this lens uses "plastic - fantastic". only time will tell how good/bad the plastic mount will hold up...

6th Feb 2012: Retested this lens against a SONY 35mm 1.4G (3rd batch, the one with no markings of 35 1.4 on the top side) and I got to say was the best 35 1.4G i've ever tested, I believe sony had revised the coatings and fine tuned ther lens to make it tons better then the earlier batches. final verdic, the 35 1.8 seems to loose to the 35 1.4 (3rd batch) in terms of CA, comparing it side by side, wide open the CA of the 1.4 is more pinkish, vs purple-ish for the 1.8. stop down to f2.5 no CA is visible on the 1.4G but the 1.8 still exhibit some CA... both lens is tack sharp wide open, and 35G showing a slight sharper and nicer feel to the bokeh prob due to the floating element. Kudos to SONY for fixing the "CA KING AKA 35 1.4G" upon todays test with the 3rd and lattest batch to date of the 35 1.4G, I'd say the 35 may live up to its ledgendary status... but weather its worth 6x the price tag really is a matter of controvasy. (NOTE: earlier batches of 35G I've tested were horrid, CA King and soft wide open. bad copy? bad coating? or bad calibration? with about 4 bad experiences... its prob the issue with earlier batches)
reviewer#9871 date: Feb-1-2012
compared to:Sony DT 18-55 f3.5-5.6 SAM
Minolta 28-105 f3.5-4.5 RS
price paid:gift (230 EUR)
positive:-Sharpness
-no AF override
-noisy
-plastic build
-some distortion
comment:Firstly, a couple of negatives:
Maybe due to the low price (positive, actually), there is no money spent to metal parts and high-tech AF motors. Actually, it feels quite nice, but the plastics used look very cheap. Until now, the build has never been an issue to me, and I'm not afraid of holding the camera by the lens. The SAM motor seems outdated to me, but is OK for the price. I tend to use the AF/MF switch often, so AF override would be handy. The focus ring isn't very nice, there is some play in it, and it turns very easy. This lens seems not to be designed for MF.
Optically, only distortion is a little to much to my taste, but is only noticable when focusing closer with straight lines along the sides of the frame.

The positives:
Optically, it is superb. I use it mainly at f2, and its center sharpness is very good already. Bokeh is very nice, although it takes on lentil shapes along the sides of the frame, which I don't mind. I never use the lens hood, except sometimes in full sunlight, but even then it is not prone to flare, maybe due to the recessed front element. Close focusing ability is great, it's closest focusing distance is 12 cm from the front of the lens, where you get a magnification of 0,25x. Focusing is reasonably quick.

For me, this focal length is ideal, and I like it far more than a 50mm lens (on APS-C) indoors. Sometimes I like something wider, especially indoors, but this lens covers 90% of what I shoot. Ideal for indoor low-light shooting. However, I would like to encourage Sony to improve the build and feel to the level of the Nikkor 35mm f1.8G.

Compared to the other 2 lenses:
Optically it is way better than both abovementioned lenses. Build quality is the same as the kit lens, and slightly worse compared to the Minolta 28-105. However, it's the same regarding MF.

I tried it on my Dynax 7 (film), and surprisingly I got some nice pictures. However, I'm still investigating on that, since other people found heavy vignetting as opposed to my findings. Update: there is pronounced vignetting, although it differs very much in different situations. Especially in low light it is usable, since vignetting is not very well visible. However, in normal light it is only usable when focusing close, depending on the scene. As found on digital Minolta bodies, the Dynax 7 also registers an F-value of 1.7 instead of 1.8.

Conclusion: must have for APS-C users.
reviewer#9845 date: Jan-24-2012
Prime
negative:Plastic
Wobbly
Noisey
comment:For the price its a must have, Damm sharp wide open and it gets better.

reviewer#9838 date: Jan-23-2012
Relatively quiet AF
Small
Light
Inexpensive
negative:Cheapish, but not really a negative since it is an inexpensive lens, designed to be small and light.
comment:I recently purchased this lens, as low-light, low weight, walk around option. It works well, and while the body itself isn’t great, I gave it a 5 relative to the price point, and the fact that I could do without more weight. The manual focus movement is actually better than the 18-55 kit lens, which had slightly better cosmetic build.
reviewer#9837 date: Jan-23-2012
positive:close focusing
sharp
manual focusing ring is a joy
versatile
negative:build quality is just ok
comment:This lens is a no-brainer.... if you are even considering it just buy it... the only negative is the build quality... but it isn't as bad as the 18-55 kit lens... this lens works better with the digital coatings as opposed to a used Minolta 28 which I also have in the same price point. Joy to use with focus peaking and resolves great detail from the 24 MP APSC sensor. This lens is a "gem" for the money....

Great "bang for the buck" ... would gladly pay another $50 dollars to have metal mount and build a la Sony 28/2.8
reviewer#9729 date: Dec-29-2011
compared to:Sony 18-70
Tamron 70-300 ld macro
Minolta 28f28
price paid:186 usd (new)
positive:Inexpensive, sharp, does well in low-light conditions, light weight, simple to use
negative:None
comment:I am a beginner with my new a55, so I can't make technical observations. This is the first lens I've liked. It is easy-peezy to use, gives sharp photos in all light conditions and didn't cost very much. It's also very lightweight to carry around, makes the camera very portable. I am so glad I found this lens. It shows me that my new camera will take excellent photos instead of the cotton soft photos I got with the other lenses I bought. (I had to rate the lens in terms of softness, etc, but I don't know enough for any of my ratings to mean anything.)

I decided to upgrade my rating on the build to a 5. My reasons are that I enjoy its light weight, and I can't see that the build interferes with the quality of the photos it makes. Also, for this price, I can wear out 7 of this lens for the price of one of the heavier builds.
reviewer#9690 date: Dec-14-2011
Nice hood included.
Good Bokeh.
35mm is more useful on APS-C than 50mm
negative:Plasticky build.
SAM is loudish and doesn't really add anything.
Given the non-rotating front, they could have thrown in a petal hood instead.
comment:I bought this even though I owned a Minolta 50/1.4 because sometimes the working space with the 50 was limiting, especially indoors. The lens seems to be quite good in almost all aspects except build which is very plasticky.

Image quality has surpassed my expectations and I'd say it's better than the 50/1.8.

It does show vignetting when wide open but it goes away when slightly stepped down. Coatings seem to work fine as I have seen no indication of flaring or coma.

I will continue to play around with the lens and update this entry accordingly.

Sharp enough for the 24 MP sensor.
reviewer#9612 date: Nov-20-2011
fast
cheap
negative:plastic mount
cheap build (plastic mount,
front tube has wiggle room)
comment:This is a very good travel, street and work around lens. The center is very sharp although the contrast is not as good as e.g. the Samyang 35mm. Sharpness falls of towards the edges even stopped down but that might not a big deal depending on the shooting style. The build is very cheap and the play/wiggling of the front lens tube, especially with the hood attached is worrying me. Overall it is a good lens for the money.
reviewer#9596 date: Nov-16-2011
compared to:Zoom equivalents
Nikon 35/1.8 on Fuji S3
price paid:179 CDN inc tx
positive:Cheap
light
Really good @f2
negative:Nothing really
comment:I picked up this one but it was within a week or two of its initial release in Nov of '10 so I have had it about 1 yr.

Yes it is a bit noisy, yes it is made of plastic, yes the MF/AF switch is cheesy but this should almost be a mandatory part of your A mount kit.. Even more so than a 50/1.7

I state really sharp at f2 as I believe that most of my 1.8 shots are soft due to focus error.

The 14mpix result in my check is on the NEX-3 which is horribly slow with the adapter, but with MF and peaking it is really nice..

On the a850 is crops, unless you ever so slightly unlock the the bayonet. At that time it will only shoot at 1.8.

On SSM film bodies it works great.

The only disappointment is how inferior it is in build to the equivalent Nikon 35/1.8G which I also own.
reviewer#9544 date: Oct-29-2011
compared to:Carl Zeiss f/2.8 28mm
Minolta MD f/1.7 50mm
Minolta MD f/2.0 45mm (Rokkor)
Minolta MD f/3.5 35-70mm (macro)
positive:Great performer for street photography. Brings 50mm photography to the APS-C camera.
negative:None.
comment:Very happy with this sweet lens. Faultess. A gem.
reviewer#9531 date: Oct-26-2011
price paid:150£ (new)
Fast
Lightweight
Cheap
negative:Plastic
comment:My first prime. Perfect focal length for allround use on APS-C. Sharp from F2 and above.

AF is fast and smooth but noisy, so probably not the best for filming.
reviewer#9512 date: Oct-20-2011
compared to:Sony 50mm 1.8 SAM
price paid:$199.00USD
positive:Sharp, light weight. Very nice optical performance. Fast. Similar to the 50mm easy choice lens in every way.
negative:Plastic mount and body.
comment:Very nice compact lens. Nice focal length on APS-C, similar to 50mm on FF/Film. For the price it can't be beat.
reviewer#9509 date: Oct-19-2011
compared to:Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM
Minolta 24mm f/2.8
price paid:150.00
positive:fast, sharp, cheap, light,
negative:plastic(still not that bad)
comment:Man oh man. talk about a plastic fantastic. I own about ever Minolta and Sony/Zeiss that matters and I gotta say that this is a killer little Apsc lens. Sharp as a tack and very nice colors, almost Minoltaish. Build is plastic but for $150 im not complaining. The positive of the plastic is that it makes it really light and portable. AF seems to be on par and faster than you standard lens although I'm still not to sure about the SAM. Manual focus is smooth and accurate. I could not spot any obvious flare issues. Coma seems under control. Gotta say that this is a winner.
reviewer#9489 date: Oct-11-2011
Image quality
Aperture
negative:Smallish focus ring
Perceived build quality
comment:This is an incredibly handy lens. I like the field of view for general purpose shots (on APS-C), especially indoors as it has a nice wide aperture. While it does have a very "plasticky" feel, I appreciate the lightness and small size this lens has to offer. The image quality is very high considering the price point and I would recommend this lens to any A-mount shooter.
reviewer#9454 date: Sep-29-2011
compared to:Minolta 50 f3.5 macro
Minolta 50 f1.7
price paid:100 GBP mint
positive:SHARP
Colour
Good hood
negative:None
comment:Very sharp.

Excellent value for money.

Great lens
reviewer#9427 date: Sep-16-2011
compared to:16-105
price paid:150 GBP (new)
positive:+ great image quality
+ small
+ lightweight
+ cheap
negative:- made entirely from plastic
comment:Amazing lens, great image quality at incredibly low weight. I even like the SAM, unlike in the 18-55mm kit lens. The only annoying thing is that my fingers frequently get in conflict with the rotating focus ring. Maybe people with smaller hands have less problems here...
Highly recommended even so, you don't get better optics for that amount of money!
reviews found: 101    << 1 2 3 4 >>