Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#8395 date: Dec-11-2010
compared to:Minolta 50mm f/3.5 macro
Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-f/5.6 kit
price paid:175 USD from bhphoto
positive:low light capabilities, optical quality, colour is very nice, price
negative:plasticy
comment:I bought this lens about a week ago for its low-light capabilities and it's not left my camera since! My options for lenses less than 50mm was limited to the 18-70mm kit lens and the quality of this lens completely blows that old crappy thing out of the water. This is a great lens, especially considering the price. Its optical qualities I've found are excellent for portraiture and general photography. I suspect this will relegate my beloved Minolta 50mm f/3.5 to close-macro duties only, even then it seems that this lens can even do fairly reasonable macro shots, although I have not tried a direct comparison. The 35mm focal is ideal for APS-C sensors in terms of general photographic work. I actually love shooting with the prime lens most of the time, zooms are over-rated if you ask me.

If you have an APS-C sensor (and that's most of us), what can I say other than BUY THIS LENS!!! You will not regret it, ideal portrait lens, ideal for parties, ambient light settings, etc; a good 'walk about' lens unless you are committed to zooms.
reviewer#8362 date: Dec-6-2010
Small and lightweight
Large lens hood
negative:Plasticky build
Color fringe visible @1.8
comment:To be honest I was quite surprised of how sharp this little lens wide open, stopped down to f2.8 you will get nice crisp images with rather smooth bokeh. It replaced 50mm on my lens line up because of the more flexible range and bokeh, and the full sized hood is definitely a yay for daylight outdoor shooting.
And one more thing, have I mentioned about the bokeh?
reviewer#8283 date: Nov-23-2010
contrast
flare control
fast af
negative:build quality
comment:I had serious doubts about buying this lens because I was affraid it wouldn't be significantly better than the lenses I already own. Well it may not be better than the minolta 50mm but this is a great lens. Colors and contrast seem a lot better than the kitlens (which I still use a lot) and it is sharp wide open and razor sharp when stopped down a bit. It also handles sunlight much better than the kitlens. Indoor shooting is also great with this lens, although the AF starts hunting in low light situations. The only negative thing is the build quality, it is decent material i guess but it just feels (and looks) really cheap.

All in all, if you're on a budget like me and you want a cheap but sharp prime you should really buy this lens.
reviewer#8275 date: Nov-19-2010
compared to:minonlta 50/1.7
sigma 30/1.4
cz 16-80
price paid:$199 US
positive:quite sharp, even wide open
price
small and light
nice color
great focal length for APS-C
negative:none
comment:had this about a month now and love it! pleasantly surprised at how crisp the images are. perfect "normal" focal length on APS cameras. focuses well and pretty quickly. It just performs as well as you might hope in every way possible for a $200 lens. this one should be a no-brainer for anyone with a sony crop body. I think sony would be smart to start selling it in kits, too....like the maxxum 50/1.7 back in the day.
reviewer#8204 date: Nov-7-2010
compared to:Sony 50mm 1.8 SAM
Sony CZ 85mm 1.4
Sony CZ 24-70 2.8
positive:Great value
Good sharpness
Small & light
Nice to have a hood included
SAM better for video AF
negative:None at this price
comment:Very much an essential lens for any APS-C camera owner. I replaced my 50mm 1.8 with this as for me it it's a much better focal length. If you've ever felt the 50mm was a bit tight when shooting indoors this lens is for you.

It's a nice small, light normal/wide option for me when I don't want to use the big heavy 24-70. It makes much more sense when paired with the 85mm than the 50mm did.

- Good from f1.8 but great stopped down
- Bokeh appears nice
- AF accuracy/speed is fine, not SSM but what you'd expect from a cheaper SAM lens.
reviewer#8168 date: Nov-2-2010
compared to:- Minolta 50/1.7
- Minolta 85/1.4
- Tamron 90/2.8
- Minolta 24/2.8
price paid:240 Euro
positive:- decently sharp from 1.8
- good bokeh
negative:- nothing worth mention so far
comment:Well I got the lens today so the review iwll be update das I gain experience.

So far I love the lens. It is quite sharp at f1.8

Build is ok. Actually I expected worse and what I got is decently build lens. True it does not feel solid like the 85/1.4 but nothing serious to complain about.

Af is ok as speed and accuracy on A700. AF is disappointingly slow on nex-5, but it is hard to achieve this precise AF manualy - indeed contrast AF is amazignly acurate.

Hood is great

I did not see any outraging optical defects like aberrations or severe distortion. It seems to have vignetting, but I need to test more. Well lately for a lens it is important to have superb sharpness, good colors and contrast all else is fixe din software.

So this lens is very very good. Definetly a MUST have for a Sony APS-C fan.

PS I cannot rate distortion and flare so far - I am adding 5 because these were not problems so far.

reviewer#8166 date: Nov-1-2010
compared to:Most closely I guess to my Maxxum AF 50 1.7 and 28 2.8 primes
price paid:$200
positive:Just received this little lens a few days ago, had a chance to shoot maybe a dozen shots. Like what I see so far, good bokeh, sharp, colors fine and AF speed is fine. Haven't had time to try it on the A 200 yet...comments based on useage with A 700
negative:Plastic but hey it's $200 new!
comment:I purchased this lens primarily to allow me to shoot natural light photos at family gatherings.

It appears that it may get more use than that, looks like a fine choice for overall photography.

Good job Sony, now how about a 20 2.8 in this format?

I will update with/ if any significant new observations develop.....I started a thread on the lens and have posted a few images there.

Recommended.
reviewer#8164 date: Nov-1-2010
compared to:SAL50F1.8
positive:Low Price
Light Weight
Nice Bokeh
F1.8
negative:Build
comment:Fantastic little lens for indoor low light situation.
reviewer#8161 date: Oct-30-2010
Proper lens hood supplied
negative:SAM focusing is noisy
Plastic mount
Not full frame
comment:Only had this a week. And my feeling is that it's at least as good and possibly a little bit better than my 50mm F1.7 and beats the 24-105mm at 35mm. Around F2.8/F3.2 it is very sharp.

SAM focus feels no better than a screw drive lens on the A700. You feel the same torque effect and it makes as much noise. However the 3m to infinity movement on the lens is very small so unless working under 3m there is hardly any focus movement in the lens.

It's provided with a full size lens hood.

The mount is plastic but overall it feels as well built as the 50mm F1.7 RS - it's just a little bit lighter and despite not being FF is physically similar in size.
reviewer#8047 date: Oct-5-2010
- light and small
- quiet sam motor
- good mfd
- low ca even wide open and almost non ca from f2 onwards
negative:- plastic body and mount
- focus ring too small
comment:Bought this lens upon reaching the store. I could be the first in my country (singapore) to own it.

Tested it for the past 5 days and I could only say it's really worth the price.

Sharpness is on par or slightly better than sony 50/1.8 and sigma 30/1.4 and definitely better than minolta 35/2.

CA is surprising well controlled even at F1.8 and disappear almost entirely at F2.

Other than build quality which is similar to 50/1.8 are all plastic and does not seems to take knocks and hits so well, the tradeoff is a very light and small lens to carry around.

Mounted on my A55, its the perfect combo for low light handheld shoots! It seems this lens is designed for A33/55.

With this price (USD260), its really a must buy for all crop frame bodies.

I wonder how Sigma 30/1.4 and 2nd hand Mnolta 35/2 are going to sell with this new gem around.

Just go get it!!!