Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#11167 date: Jun-1-2013
compared to:Tarmon 10-24mm F4.5/5.6
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5/5.6
Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA
price paid:650 GB Pounds (New)
positive:excellent image quality
allows the photographer to be very creative
fantastic throughout the focal range and a lot of fun at 12mm
Widest WA zoom for Sony FF
Fast AF
negative:Forget trying to use filters.
comment:My 16-35mm has been struggling when working on church interiors. With the expection of primes lenses there appeared to be nothing that could go beyond 16mm on a FF, then I found this lens. I did think about getting a fish eye but although I like the effects you can achieve they are to extreme for the work I was going to use it for. My only concern about getting this lens was that the extra 4mm would not be enough, thankfully I was wrong. This is a dream lens to use and spends most of its time on my A99. I would not hesitate to recommend this lens to any Sony FF user. If you have a APC-S sensor get the Sigma 8-16mm it is just as much fun.
reviewer#10940 date: Feb-24-2013
compared to:Sigma 8-16
positive:Very good wide angle range and IQ
negative:None so far
comment:I own the A77 with the 16-50 lens which on the A77 gives a focal range of 24-70. When I bought the A99 I wanted a two camera plus lens situation that I could take out and have a good range. The Sigma 12-24 paired to the A99 along with the A77 paired with the 16-50 gives me a range therefore of 12-70. Additionally, both bodies and both lenses are weather sealed which again is useful.
So far the IQ that the 12-24 is giving me is very good - not quite there with the 16-50 but for the type of photos I will be using this for - more than adequate. I think it is definitely on a par with the sigma 8-16. I like them both very much.
Focusing speed is also good and for a wide lens the amount of distortion is very acceptable.
Build quality is also good and the built on hood works well.
Now with one bag the A77 + 16-50, A99 + 12-24 and the 70-300G gives me a total coverage of 12-420 without a huge burden of weight and very good image quality. One happy bunny.
reviewer#10466 date: Aug-22-2012
compared to:N/A
price paid:880 USD (New)
positive:Well-built. I like the built-in metal hood.
Great color for sky and water/landscapes; OK color for people.
Substantial zoom and focus rings. I like that the focus ring disengages when in AF mode.
Good sharpness everywhere but the corners, especially when stopped-down a bit.
negative:Not very fast; typically underexposes in low light or indoors.
Complex distortion in the corners at 14mm on my A850 (somewhat expected)
Gotta watch for flares
My camera/flash unit don't know how to expose for it when really wide
Heavy; Expensive
comment:Never really interested in very wide shooting before now. I bought quickly in order to have a good wide lens for an Alaska trip. Not everything I was looking for, but I've really enjoyed having it on the camera when I'm out in familiar surroundings and looking for interesting shots, and it has given me some stunning landscape/seascape panoramas I otherwise wouldn't have been able to capture.

It also is nice to have when shooting candid indoors in really tight quarters and the 24-70 just won't get the shot. Have used it at a couple of wedding receptions when there are lots of people in the shot.

In all a good lens to have in the quiver in case you need it. Will likely keep it.
reviewer#10429 date: Aug-4-2012
compared to:Tokina AT-X116 Pro DX 11-16 f2.8
positive:- sharp
- light
- wide apperture
negative:- coming with f4.5 - 5.6
- lens price to high in my country
comment:Awesome super wide lens.
reviewer#10065 date: Mar-30-2012
compared to:Sigma 10-20
positive:Very sharp (for type), solid, looks great
negative:Worse and more complex distortion than I expected
comment:Overall excellent considering extreme nature of lens range. Very happy with purchase.
reviewer#9666 date: Dec-5-2011
compared to:Sony CZ 24-70
Tokina 11-16 (APS-C)
positive:For the money this is one good super wide angle lens and it is surprisingly sharp. CA is also very well controlled
negative:None except maybe how I focus it, you have to be careful as to where you take it, it's such a wide angle of view.
comment:I would never have taught that one day I would buy Sigma, a friend photographer got one for his Canon full frame, and the results were excellent. I also work full frame (A900) and the results are exceptional. Naturally it's bit soft in the corners as all super wide angle are, but f8 does the trick, any higher and CamneraRAW/Photoshop will fix them to a certain point. Focus is silent and fast, and it's well balance on the A900.