Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM A-mount lens reviews

Moisture / dust seals
SSM
negative:Not long enough
Unusual filter size at 72mm
comment:To call this a 'Kit' lens is a little bit misleading, even though it does come as part of a kit :-). Basically, this is a short, fast zoom that's an APSC only G lens in all but name (as prototype IDs would appear to confirm. Build quality is excellent on my copy (a few early review copies had some centring problems though so beware), AF on the A77 is fast, smooth and quiet and it gives sharp images even wide open - better than the Tamron 17-50mm imho, though a bit pricier due to the SSM / seals. A great lens and a must on the A77. It would replace my Zeiss is it was just a bit longer. Also, there's just a hint of distortion / flare but the score system doesn't allow 4.5 and I hesitate to use a 'perfect 5' for that reason.
reviewer#9540 date: Oct-29-2011
compared to:Zeiss 24-70
price paid:Part of A77 kit
positive:Nice solid build
Colours
Sharpness
negative:Not "long" enough
comment:I took my A77 and 16-50 for a "test drive" yesterday. Overall I was quite impressed by the lens - the SSM is silent and quick and the lens produces some very nice photos. However, I did find that I ended up switching to my Zeiss 24-70 as I found that for me the lens was not quite long enough for my style of photography.
reviewer#9481 date: Oct-8-2011
compared to:CZ 16-80
price paid:799 CDN
bright
fast silent autofocus
little vignetting
negative:size
flare
comment:Early days yet but so far I am impressed.

A nice fit on the A700 but feels bulkier than the 16-80, although the weight feels about the same. I do miss the extra reach but the improved aperture and shallow DOF are winning me over. The SSM is awesome, very quiet and fast focus. I have only tried daylight photography so far, so have to explore the low-light experience. Intentional into-sun shots produced significant and large flare. The lens feels very solidly built, zooming is smooth and stiffer than the 16-80, no lens creep noted even without using the lock.
reviews found: 93    << 1 2 3 4