Minolta AF 135mm F2.8 A-mount lens reviews

positive:Sharp even wide open
Small and light
Great colors and contrast
negative:Can hunt for focus
Soft corners on full frame
comment:For an older lens, this lens is nearly perfect. The colors are amazing, and it's my sharpest lens wide open at 2.8.
With the compact size, it's easy to keep in my bag.
With the size, affordable price, and just great image quality, it makes a nice substitute for a 70-200 2.8, if you can live with just the 135mm. Becomes a decent telephoto on APS-C sensor.
So truly a great lens for portrait headshots, or for a low-light telephoto. Focus can be slow, limiting the lens ability slightly for action.
When shooting on full frame, the corners do soften a bit. Should only bother you if you are pixel peeping.
reviewer#11219 date: Jun-29-2013
price paid:200USD
positive:Small, handy, sharp, nice hood, fast focus.
negative:None
comment:What can i say, i got a really good copy of this lens. I love this lens and will never part with it.
Nice as portrait. And i use it to shoot birds that are close.
I really have not found anything to complain about. Just buy it if you are looking for a 135mm f2.8, i don't think you can do any better. not much anyway ;-)
reviewer#11144 date: May-28-2013
positive:Great colours
Integral hood
Razor sharp at f/8
Sharp enough at f/2.8
negative:Not much at all
comment:My go-to lens for stage and concert work. It's a perfect pub/club gig lens. I've owned this one since the early 90s and it has never once been less than perfect.

Together with my Tokina AT-X 11-16 and my Minolta 50mm f/1.4(although all for completely different reasons) this lens never ever leaves my gear bag.
reviewer#11086 date: Apr-28-2013
compared to:minolta 35-105
minolta 17-35
price paid:€150
positive:great colours
sharp
well built
negative:none
comment:best lens
reviewer#11008 date: Apr-3-2013
compared to:SEL50F18
SEL24F18Z
Minolta APO 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 D
price paid:350 GBP for lens + LA-EA2 adapter for NEX
positive:thin DOF, fast speed, great colors, good value, small
negative:noticeable purple fringing wide open, non-circular aperture blades, AF sometimes misses
comment:I'm a NEX user eager to use some old AF glass, so I got the adapter and the lens from a forum member as it's a relatively small lens with long focal length and a large aperture. I was pleasantly surprised at the extremely thin DOF, as well as the "Minolta colors" many were talking about.

However there are some negatives. Purple fringing was more prominent on the Minolta than my E-mount lenses, but this may just be due to the fact that telephoto lenses are more prone to it to begin with. I also noticed AF to miss occasionally, which could be due to the thin DOF or user error. My copy also seems to focus better when the subject is closer. It also has to be stop down half or a full stop to reach the sharpness of the E-mount lenses listed above. Then again I am comparing a 1985 made lens to 2012 ones! And it performs better than the also nice Minolta APO 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 D in terms of sharpness and color rendering.

Overall I highly recommend this lens for prosumers. It has its flaws but it's a great value lens that can do the work of much more expensive lenses. Plus it's adorable even on the tiny NEX bodies!
reviewer#11005 date: Mar-29-2013
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:100/2.8 Macro, 85/1.4 original, Leica Elmarit-R 135/2.8.
price paid:350 used (mint)
positive:Fabulous Minolta color, very good bokeh, sharp.
negative:Flares easily, only f2.8.
comment:135mm was the very first accessory lens I purchased as a teenager (K-Mart Focal 133/2.8 for Minolta MD - Kiron made) and as such was my first exposure to shallow depth of field and compressed perspective. As a teenager, I didn't appreciate quite what I had (that lens and SRT200) and moved on to an X570 and some cheap zooms, trading quality for convenience.

My favorite lens on APS-C and full frame digital has been and remains the 85/1.4 (original, non-G) which is the ultimate cream machine with bokeh to die for. One reason I liked that lens so much on APS-C was that it was very close to the 135mm focal length perspective on full-frame (film) that I remembered so fondly. So, once I had my A850, it was time to find a good 135mm lens and before spending $1700 on the Zeiss, I thought I would give the old Minolta a try. KEH had one in LN- condition (absolutely flawless, by the way) for $350, so I bought it.

The lens does not dissapoint, and while the bokeh is not in the same league as the 85/1.4, I wouldn't expect it to be given the relative position in the original lineup and the original prices of the two lenses. Where the 135 really surprised me was its sharpness, which is fully the equal of the 85, as well as that luscious Minolta color, which to me appears identical. The 135 is also considerably smaller and lighter than the 85 as well, making it, the 50/1.4 and 28/2.8 my regular travel 3-lens travel kit.

For film I currently use the Leica R system with latest version 35, 50, 90 and 135mm lenses (all f2.8 except for 50/2.0). While film and digital have very different looks and I shoot exclusively black and white film, I can somewhat compare sharpness, rendering and bokeh between the Leica and Minolta 135s. The Leica is definitely softer (the Minolta is clinically sharp), but has better bokeh. Surprisingly, the difference is less than I expected it to be.

While the Minolta 85/1.4 remains my best portrait lens with the best bokeh I've ever captured, I honestly use the 135 a lot more due to its compact size and light weight. I could only keep one telephoto lens for any camera, it would probably be the Minolta 135. Its not as nice as the 85, but its close enough.
reviewer#10870 date: Jan-23-2013
Light
Small
Great build quality
negative:Chromatic Aberration.
comment:Great lens overall. Fast and sharp especially using my A77 wit steadyshot enabled.
reviewer#10864 date: Jan-21-2013
compared to:Minolta 100 f2.8 Macro
price paid:199 GBP mint
positive:Sharp from f2.8
Wonderful Minolta colours
Compact and lightweight but well built
negative:None
comment:Superb lens. Nothing else to say
reviewer#10810 date: Dec-31-2012
Light weight
Small size
Solid build
negative:No new version
Slight purple fringe wide open
comment:This little lens is a gem. Sharp from corner to corner. The contrast on this lens is excellent. Sharp wide open. Slight purple fringing if high contrast backgrounds are being shot but it is very minor. for the price I paid I didn't need another prime but couldn't resist trying it. I am in Arizona on holiday and have shot about 300 photos with it this week. Amazing is all I can say. It's my new favorite prime. The focus is very very fast on a77. If you see one and enjoy primes don't hesitate. Grab it and fall in love.
reviewer#10676 date: Nov-9-2012
compared to: Multiple zooms
price paid:$135
positive:The bigest thing for me is the compact size. The color, bild rating, lack of distortion and good flare control are very good.
negative:None sofar
comment:I find this camera is sharp, light weight and pocket sized. This is a winning combination.
reviewer#10254 date: May-31-2012
+ fast AF
+ superb IQ
+ hood is always there
negative:- PF wide open to about F/4.5
- bokeh can be rather busy
comment:Brilliant lens. I bought this lens early in my DSLR days, and the only other two primes that I had were the 24/2.8 and 50/1.7. Never used telephoto much till then, but this lens just makes me take portraits of everyone I see. It is a little long on APS-C but on FF it's excellent in this regard.
Just watch out for bright contrasty areas, as wide open this lens will fringe badly all over the frame. If the background is busy and not really far away, you can get swirling bokeh quite easily. All in all the bokeh is in my eyes not as smooth as for example the 200/2.8, 85/2.8 or even the 50s.
As for IQ, there are no complaints. Sharpness, contrast and colour are all perfect.
reviewer#10241 date: May-27-2012
Weight
55mm filter thread
negative:Hood's a bit flimsy
Recessed focus ring
comment:Bought this mainly for gig photography where its size, weight and speed have been invaluable. Previously I'd been using a combination of 50mm f/1.7 + Beercan for this task, and whilst I still sometimes bring the 50, I can thankfully now leave the beercan at home. Very sharp, very fast focusing and amazing colours.

No doubt the CZ 135mm f/1.8 is miles better, but hey it's 5x the price, 3x the weight and easily twice the size.
reviewer#9747 date: Jan-3-2012
compared to:- Tamron 70-200 F2.8
- SAL70400G
- M100 F2.8 macro
positive:- Light weight
negative:- Flare control is weak
- Soft at 2.8
comment:F2.8 is soft while need to step down until F4 to get razor sharp. However, soft image is good for portrait.
Flare control is very weak, need to additional add in costume hood to improve.
reviewer#9605 date: Nov-17-2011
compared to:Minolta 70-210 F4
Minolta 50 F3.5 macro
positive:Very sharp
Minolta colours
Integral hood
Small and light
negative:Cost - but you get a lot of IQ for the money
comment:
Not as sharp as the 50 macro (no surprise) but still very sharp with marvellous colours and contrast producing 3D like images.

The hood does its job and is nicely tucked away when refixing the front lens cap.

Costly - but good glass usually is!!!
reviewer#9589 date: Nov-15-2011
compared to:50mm 1.4
Beercan
price paid:Bundled
positive:Sharpest lens in my bag by far. Kills the 50mm 1.4 in this regard. Longish telephoto given the small size and large aperture for a full frame lens. Paired with an achromat diopter (ie canon, marumi, or raynox), gives macro with sharpness similar to that of a dedicated macro lens while allowing more room from the subject than the 50mm 2.8 macro. Colors and microcontrast require less pp than many other lenses.
negative:A little too long for portraiture in aps-c. A little too sharp for female portraits. Old screw-drive AF.
comment:I bought this lens, the 28mm 2.8, and 50mm 1.4 from someone on Craigslist for $250. I think I got a damn good deal based on this lens alone (even though I have not been blown away by the 50mm 1.4)
reviewer#9066 date: May-30-2011
Quick to focus
Small size & light weight
Well made
negative:Slight CA wide open; but can correct PP
comment:Bought this to match A55 for a lightweight setup.

Highly recommended for those who
(a) Must have lightest setup
(b) Can live with primes and without zooms
reviewer#8878 date: Apr-6-2011
compared to:- T 90 2,8
- M 50 1,7
- beercan
price paid:180 EUR
positive:- sharp
- small and light
negative:- mfd?
comment:Bought it from someone who sold his a900 and said it was too long for the aps-c cameras.

Got a copy in mint condition, the lens is amazing! Size is almost like the 50mm 1,7 just a bit longer. Build is flawless.

Sharpness is on par with my Tammy 90 and that would be the sharpest lens I have.

On full frame this is a must-have. As I don't own a 70-200 2.8 zoom I will use this beauty excessively in the next period. Don't know if it gets redundant once you have a 2.8 long zoom, but I guess I'll keep it even then.

Minimum focus distance is sth. like 1 m which is a bit long in some cases.

EDIT: This lens produces contrast and colors like no other lens I had before. It took some time to use it to figure out how much I can get out of the RAW files shot on the a900 with LR, the results are stunning and look like commercial shots. Makes me want to get the 70-200 2.8 from Sony as I guess this is what you get.
reviewer#8847 date: Mar-29-2011
compared to:Sigma 70-200
Tamron 70-200
Minolta 70-210 (not beercan)
price paid:210 GBP used
positive:Sharp as a tack
tiny
solidly built
Very fast focus
Very accurate focus
TINY!!
negative:small focus ring
suppose you could easily lose it
comment:I love this lens. I nearly sold it a few weeks ago but so pleased I didn't. It's a lens I rarely use, but am so pleased I still have it in my bag. It takes great photos and is only made redundant by the 70-200. It is sharp wide open although it does suffer a little from CA.

For the price you really can't go wrong.

It's a tiny tiny lens and built like a tank. The only weakness would be the pull out hood, but despite it's delicate feel it hasn't broken and it's how old?

So if you get a chance buy this; it's a great lens for the camera and a great lens for the collection. Well worth the money and cracking lens for the one prime challenges.
reviewer#8634 date: Feb-7-2011
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
price paid:225 Euro(used mint)
positive:Light
Small
Fast AF
negative:Imbedded lens hood to small for my taste
MFD a little too long
comment:As everyone was saying such positive things about this lens I decided to try one.
Everything which was written is true but as I'm not a people photographer I didn't fall in love with lens and sold it to someone who could make better use of it.
reviewer#8460 date: Dec-28-2010
compared to:Sigma 70-200 EX II HSM
price paid:220 EUR
positive:+ sharp
+ relatively small
+ light
+ fast AF
negative:- flare & ghosting
comment:This is another gem from Minolta.
My copy does seem to suffer a bit from front-focus issues or something similar and it's not sharp anywhere at hard stop infinity (it's sharp if I MF it almost to infinity), but since I mostly use it indoors for candid portraits and stage shooting with available light it doesn't bother me too much.

The coatings it has are obviously a joke (but I guess it was normal for the 80's when this was being made), since I've gotten ghosts in images simply from brass objects being lit directly by the sun.
Flare is a problem too. I've recently tried to take some photos of a rather impressing sunset, and even though the colors are perfect, I have "multiple" suns and flares all over the scene.

This focal length, speed and size/weight can't be beat I guess. If you find one, get it!
reviewer#8421 date: Dec-19-2010
acceptable sharpness
not heavy
very fast AF
negative:CA sometimes appear (wide open),
rare, hard to find in good condition
comment:Good portait lens on a900/850. It is also useful in other shallow DOF applications. Auto focus is really fast.
reviewer#8373 date: Dec-8-2010
compared to:SAL 50 F1.4
price paid:300 USD (Used)
positive:Sharp even at F2.8
compared to:minolta 100/2
positive:small
light enougth
negative:nothing
comment:very good for portrait on FF (A900)
very interesting on A700 but maybe a little to long for APS-C

a good old minolta lens
reviewer#7965 date: Sep-13-2010
compared to:Minolta 85mm f/1.4
Sony 50mm f/1.4
Minolta 28-135mm f/4-4.5
price paid:275 CAN (used)
positive:Sharpness wide open
Saturated colors
very light
fast autofocus
very good contrast
negative:build quality could be better
Don't like the build-in lens hood
very small purple fringing wide open
comment:It's been one week since I bought this lens and I am slowly learning to love it. Sharpness wide open is very good. Autofocus is fast and accurate. The colors are rich and saturated and it's a joy to use because it's so light. I would highly recommend this lens to anyone interested in this focal lenght but dosen't have the money for the zeiss. The is some purple fringing wide open but it desappear when you stop down to 3.5. But, you don't have to be afraid of the fringing; it's only noticable if you pixel peep.
reviewer#7937 date: Sep-4-2010
compared to:Zony 135/1.8
Min 28-135/4+
price paid:usd 200 used
positive:Small size
Minolta colors
simplicity
negative:A little old now
comment:A few months ago I tested these three lenses together, with and without a cirpol and then a Moose's warm filter, and then pixel-peeped, for the purpose of persuading myself to sell the two old Mins. I failed. They are different from the Zeiss. The small, handy, simple, 55mm filter 135 is marginally more acute than the 28-135, and clearly less so than the edgy Zeiss. But the overall quality of the image is so high that one doesn't begrudge the occasional edge softness.

And the colors! Yesterday I read an old article by David Kilpatrick that stated older Minolta lenses were "color-matched" in their lacquers so that they'd all react to a CC filter in the identical way. And it shows in what I think of as consistent Minolta color -- darker than Zeiss, more saturated perhaps than reality, but giving the image on later review an element of memory..."ah,yes, that's just how it was..."

The Min 135 is a lens to keep in your pocket always and, in my world, the perfect companion to my 35/2RS. Between them, they can do everything exceedingly well even though, on MTF and Imatests, they are far from perfect. They are light, small, useful, useable, simple and enjoyable lenses that make one focus on the subject, not the machinery.
reviewer#7636 date: Jun-28-2010
SMALL SIZE
FAST AF
BOKEH
negative:HARD TO FIND ONE REALLY

comment:LENS DOES WHAT YOU EXPECT. FAST AF, NICE BOKEH, SHARP, AND IN A VERY SMALL PACKAGE. FOUND ON CRAIGSLIST AND HESITATED TO BUY IT. POUND FOR POUND MAYBE AS GOOD A LENS AS YOU CAN GET. GREAT CANDID PORTRAIT LENS. DOES NOT DRAW ATTENTION BUT ON APC IT IS A 200 2.8. (POCKET ROCKET FOR SURE)
reviewer#7481 date: May-25-2010
compared to:50 F/1.4
28-135
Tokina (Bokina) 90mm F/2.5 Macro (MF)
price paid:30 euro (no typo)
positive:Sharp wide open.
Extremely sharp above F/3.5.
Compact size.
Build quality.
negative:None.
comment:Wow, this is one incredible lens, especially for portraits. It has a very good build and is perfectly compact on my 7D. IQ is amazing. Pictures have a fantastic 3D feel to them and the bokeh is very smooth and creamy (by far the best of my AF lensen, only beaten by the Tokina macro which is exceptional). Sharpness full open is already very good and gets extremely good stopped down a tad. Also sharp in the edges and lots of micro detail available.

Bought this one in a set together with a 35-105 N and Sigma 50mm macro for 50 euro of a guy who didn't know it fits a digital body (my copy has some very small dots of fungus which is barely visible and certainly not on photos). Sold the 35-105 for 50 euro and gave the macro to my dad to play with. So basically got this beauty for free.
reviewer#7460 date: May-21-2010
focusing accuracy
bokeh
sharpness stopped down
negative:purple fringing wide open
comment:a lens that i intend to sell, but just can't bring myself to do it.

it doesn't draw much attention, has a fluffy bokeh, focuses very quickly. it's great for candids, or portraits from across the room for those that get shy if a dslr is shoved into their face. there's a small amount of purple fringing wide open. sharpness is ok at 2.8, and very sharp from 4. i don't hesitate using it at 2.8.

i intend to sell it, because i don't use it that much. but when it's on the camera, it never disappoints, and is a joy to use.
reviewer#7350 date: Apr-25-2010
compared to:Minolta 70-210mm f/4
positive:+Smooth and faithful colour rendering
+Soft and buttery bokeh
+Fast AF speed
+Convenient hood that works
+Compact and light (the pocket rocket)
negative:-Noticeable purple fringing @2.8
-Some longitudinal CA (green bokeh CA)
-Rare!
comment:This lens was obviously made to shoot portraits and boy does it do it well. The way it renders images is simply phenomenal with its colours, bokeh, and just the right amount of sharpness.

Contrast is a bit low at f/2.8 but firms up by f/4 where image quality pretty much maxes out and all fringing issues are gone. Though the sweet spot is f/3.5 where the balance between bokeh and resolution is ideal.

Great value too!