Minolta AF 100mm F2.8 Macro D A-mount lens reviews

positive:Extremely Sharp
Light & compact
Usable from f/2.8
negative:Because of slower motor
comment:A great lens, everything is very well - color, bokeh. HOLY MACRO!
reviewer#9776 date: Jan-11-2012
compared to:Sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG Macro
price paid:650 EUR (mint)
positive:Focus hold button
Focus limiter
Minolta colors
Sharpness
Well built
negative:Outdated building (styling)
comment:I bought this lens from Japan, used but in excellent, like new conditions.

SHARPNESS: Excellent, from F4 to F11 is the best. Take care if you use it to take portraits because you should have to reduce sharpness directly in camera (jpg) or in post production (raw).

COLOR: Typical for Minolta lenses, they are great and neutral, I prefer to Sigma 105.

BUILD: Despite of a very well built lens I think that compared to recent production from Canikon and Sigma this lens is a little outdated.
But if you don't care about SSM (macro lenses are used 99% MF), internal focusing, no weather sealing, etc...you have a lens with excellent glasses and that's what I care!

DISTORSION AND FLARE: are well controlled and no need to mention.
reviewer#9675 date: Dec-6-2011
compared to:MinO 50/2.8 Macro
MinO 85/1.4
MinO 135/2.8
price paid:500 (new)
positive:Stunningly sharp and detailed. Though rarely mentioned with macro lenses, the color is superb.
negative:For non-macro shooting, focusing is slow, especially if you forget to turn on the focus limiter. This was a noticeable problem on the 7D, but is much less so on the A700 or A900.
comment:At least for things like insects and such, I find the greater working distance makes it much more useful/usable than the 50mm macro. I guess the working distance should be exactly double, but it certainly seems like a lot more than that.

I guess if you want to quibble, you could add that the 50mm macro is marginally sharper. If you mostly take pictures of things like coins or stamps, the 50mm may be a better choice; for those kinds of things, the extra sharpness probably matters more than the extra working distance.
reviewer#8062 date: Oct-8-2010
compared to:SONY 1870
SONY 55200
SONY 28F2.8
TAMRON 1750 F2.8
TOKINA 80400
price paid:650 SGD (used)
positive:Very sharp.
Lovely color reproduction.
negative:Because of slower motor, slow to focus using auto. Used as a normal 100mm lens... have to maintain a distance from the subject.
comment:Thumbs up to this wonderful lens. Almost everything is great with this lens especially sharpness and color rendition. In my opinion, the only setbacks are (1) its inability to focus quickly and (2) if using as a normal 100mm lens would require a distance from the subject. Otherwise, one of my favorite lens. Coupled with the Minolta 1200 ring flash, a lovely set for Macro and Protraits.
reviewer#7747 date: Jul-27-2010
compared to:MinO 135mm
MinO Beercan
MinO 35-105
MinO 28-105
CZJ Flektogon 35mm
price paid:300GBP (used)
positive:Very sharp, great focus ring, lovely bokeh
negative:Slow autofocus
comment:
reviewer#7244 date: Apr-4-2010
price paid:USD $500
positive:Sharp, solid build, excellent image quality
negative:AF slow in fairness a macro lens trait
comment:My first macro lens for DLSR. It is currently on the KM5D where it is producing images with glorious detail and smooth bokeh. The focus ring is big, the action smooth and the build suggests this lens is built to last.
reviewer#7236 date: Apr-1-2010
positive:Extremely Sharp
Beautiful Colour
negative:Slow AF (but that to be expected in macro lenses)
comment:Great lens, I have been experimenting with this lens in very low light macro photography and I have to say it is very very sharp right from f/2.8. It produces beautiful colours and nice bokeh.

AF feels slightly slow sometime, but it not a problem for me, as I prefer MF.

If you like macro photography then this lens is must.
reviewer#7038 date: Mar-9-2010
price paid:540 USD used
positive:HOLY SHarp
Nice bokeh and colors
1:1
negative:Slow AF
comment:What else can be said about this lens? HOLY MACRO !
Sharp at 2.8 It's not heavy
reviewer#5517 date: Jun-12-2009
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Minolta 50mm,35-70 f4,zeiss 16-80 5.5-4.5,100-300 apo.70-210 f4,11-18 Tamron
price paid:US$400
positive:sharp,colour and Boket
negative:none
comment:Sharpest lens i own,perfect Minolta colour and Boket

150mm on APS sensor helps when photographing insects.
I often use this lens as my walk around lens
reviewer#5184 date: Apr-7-2009
compared to:non 1:1 macros
85/1.4 G
price paid:549 USD New
Close focus
Light & compact
Working distance
negative:Slow AF
comment:This lens captures tiny subjects like no other. It's fast f2.8 allows shooting without a flash in most normal light situations and gives a good working distance for small subjects. Many reviewers say this lens serves double duty as a portrait lens. Although it can be used as such, this lens is so sharp, it reveals every hair folicle! If you're shooting portraits with this lens beware of the subject's vanity. Every flaw will be revealed. The 85/1.4 is more appropriate for portraits due to it's creamy effect. Say cheese!
reviewer#5103 date: Mar-26-2009
compared to:Minolta 50 1/7 , Sony 24-105 , Sony 70-300g, 70-210 beercan
price paid:529 us
positive:Super sharp , built tough
negative:none
comment:Great lens , sees alot of time on my camera , I use it for portraits often, and is great for shooting critters
reviewer#4901 date: Feb-24-2009
positive:
negative:Mine copy has to be fixed.
comment:I just got this lens, but it's missing the contact pins.
MF is quite difficult, but it has a good focus ring.
This could be fixed by Sony (expensive?) or with a chip from JamesLaoT, have to check that out.
reviewer#4792 date: Feb-3-2009
compared to:50mm macro
price paid:500 USD new
positive:Ultra sharp
Nice colors
Useable as "normal" 100mm due to focus limiter
negative:Slow AF (but that's inherent to macro lenses)
Limited angle of view, so sometimes hard to find your subject
comment:This lens is a specialist tool. It has amazing sharpness, starting wide open at f2.8
Colors and bokeh are very pretty. It's very useful for shooting macro from a distance, when you cannot get close to some skittish creature. But... this also has the drawback that you could be loosing your subject easily in the viewfinder, the minimum focussing distance and limited angle of view makes you hunt every now and then.

My macro workhorse is the 50mm f2.8, since that allows me to get closer and shoot easier. But for shy animals I use the 100mm to full satisfaction. You get what you pay for with this lens.
reviewer#4619 date: Jan-3-2009
compared to:MinO 50 2.8 Macro
Focal length
Large focus ring
negative:Slow AF (not bad for macro though)
comment:This is one of my favorite lenses. The lens is super sharp, and the bokeh and colors are spectacular. I like shooting insects and is the perfect lens for this. The focus ring is huge, which is great because I use manual focus for macro. I have used it for portraits also, but it is a little too sharp and the AF is too slow for moving subjects.
reviewer#4514 date: Dec-9-2008
compared to:Minolta 24-84 f/3.5-4.5 RS
Minolta 17-35 f/3.5 G
Minolta 28-70 f/2.8 G
Minolta 70-210 f/3.5-4.5
Sony 70-200 f/2.8 G SSM
price paid:€ 400 (used)
positive:Nicely build (not top)
Great focus ring
Short minumum focus distance
Usable from f/2.8
negative:Slow slow focusing
Focus hunts a lot
Hood mounts bit heavy
comment:After reading about this lens here on Dyxum i decided i wanted this one. Alternatives would be the Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro HSM, but it isn't available for our A-mount and the Sigma 180 f/3.5 macro seems not as good (see Photozone dot com).

Sharpness is very good, so a straight 5. Getting the right DOF needs practising; i use mostly f/8-f/13. Hunting on the 5D is annoying sometimes (on the 900 this is much better), especially getting towards 1:1 and low light.

Colors are Minolta like, perfect. Also contrast is first rate even with large apertures - which i don't use often with this one.

The build is less good than the 24-85 RS (my copy was new), it's a bit more plastic. No comparison to the G's here. Focusing by hand works very nice with this lens, it is a bit stiff on my almost new copy, but i like that. The hood (same as 75-300) goes on a bit stiff.
But it is the macro IQ that counts. Think it is a little sharper than the 24-85.

Focal length is good for small insects like butterflies, flies, spiders, bees and flowers. I make photo's of jewelry, modelcars and other "bigger" stuff in a phototent and found the focal length (on a cropped APS-C sensor) too large for this use. So next addition is going to be the 50 macro D..
If i don't need to go up to 1:1 (like bigger items as engine parts, hydraulic gear for work, etc) i prefer the 24-85 RS which has the advantage of zooming and is almost as sharp.

I use the 100 macro with a Sony Carl Zeiss UV protection filter as sometimes towards 1:1 the front element can get very close to the subject and i don't want to damage it.

Photo's other than macro don't have the 3D look of the G's but this is not what the lens is made for. Wide open f/2.8 still extremely good. Bokeh is just wonderful.

Lens fits nicely -if tight- in the LH-1044 case.
reviewer#4009 date: Aug-27-2008
compared to:Tamron 90
Minolta 100 f/2
Minolta 135 f/2.8
Minolta 100 f/2.8 Macro RS
price paid:499 New
positive:Nice working distance
Colors
comment:I replaced my disabled 100 RS with this D version. Main differences are: this version feels more solidly built, and the larger focusing ring is a big plus for macro photography.
reviewer#3979 date: Aug-18-2008
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
positive:Nice balance on the A350, great sharpness, great colours, all round bargain.
negative:AF is a bit erratic.
comment:Got this from Keh, very happy with the results so far. As a portrait lens it works very well indeed, and macro has already given me some very good results. I'm happy with this purchase.
reviewer#3735 date: Jun-19-2008
price paid:499.00
positive:sharp
bokeh bokeh bokeh
vivid colors
smooth manual focus
negative:none
comment:I bought this lens based on the reviews here and WOW !!! this lens is utterly awesome. Super sharp and the bokeh is to die for. Perfect dampering on the manual focus. This lens produces that elusive " WOW " factor.
I've had this lens for about a month and it has rarely been off my a700. It produces beautiful photographs each and every time I use it.
The knocks on this lens that the focus hunts is BS....this is a macro lens people !! I use manual focus 90% of the time due to macro's narrow depth of field.
Got a great deal from B&H new for $499 in May 2008.
For all you A-mount shooters...get this lens. It truly is optically superb !
reviewer#3696 date: Jun-8-2008
compared to:tam 24-135, beercan, 35-105
price paid:499 new
positive:legendary sharpness
solid build
large manual focus ring
comment:This lens is one in it's own league! It's my first dedicated macro lens- until now I have only shotted occasional mini-macros with zooms that had "macro capability". Although, this is not my regular cup of tea, it doesn't take much to recognize a great lens!

I spent the first morning with the lens firing 500+ shots in the public garden next to my house. I can only testify to the great reviews that have been posted here: Sharper than anything else I've seen, boketh a la carte, 0 distortion, great manual focus, and a very solid- reassuring build!

The autofocus is on the slow side, seems accurate with good light, the limiter probably would be helpful in more adverse conditions. Not really a downside though - the manual focus is easy to use and very addictive!

Guess I'll be turnining into a bugg and flowers hunter!
Highly recommended!
reviewer#3659 date: Jun-1-2008
compared to:canon 100mm 2.8,sony 100mm 2.8
Beautiful bokeh
Comfortable MF ring
Nice pleasing colors
negative:Slow AF, hunts in low light
comment:It is razor sharp, has a rich creamy bokeh to die for and produces nice pleasing color.Minolta & sony user must have.
reviewer#3627 date: May-25-2008
compared to:Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AF-D Macro
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF Macro
Minolta 135mm f/2.8 AF
price paid:$500 USD (new)
positive:Sharp as it gets.
Great Minolta colors.
Incredible bokeh.
No distortion.
No flare problems.
Focus limiter.
Easy to use manual focus ring.
negative:Nothing significant.
comment:After reading many great reviews of this lens, I figured it was a safe buy. I had no idea what I was in for. This is the sharpest macro lens I have ever used, and indeed one of the sharpest lenses period. There is nothing in my full arsenal of Nikon lenses that can compete with this for sharpness or color. The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro is a really nice lens, but this Minolta offer better contrast, color, and sharpness. There is no noticeable distortion. Flare is kept well under control, even without the included lens hood. The focus limiter does a great job of keeping the AF from hunting when used as a normal, non-macro telephoto. When used this way, AF is very fast and keeps up with any of my other Minolta primes. On the Sony A350, AF accuracy is excellent. The large rubber focusing ring is easy to grip, even when wet. The manual focus is well dampened, if not a little too stiff out of the box (I suspect it will loosen with time). Even though the lens extends while focusing, build tolerances are very tight and there is no play.

This lens has a very good quality plastic body, which does a nice job of keeping weight under control. I don't worry about the build quality 99% of the time, but I think I would learn to deal with the extra weight to have a full metal body. Otherwise, it is nearly the perfect lens.
reviewer#3372 date: Mar-18-2008
compared to:Minolta 50/1.7
Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX DG
price paid:500Euro (new)
positive:-sharpness is astonishing,
-great color reproduction,
-circular aperture,
-focus hold button, focus range limiter,
-focus ring doesn't rotate in AF mode,
negative:-build quality could be better in this price range,
-lack of SSM motor,
comment:Great lens with superior optical performance but in my opinion there's is too much plastic in it. Lens hood is made with very poor quality material.
This version of 100/2.8 macro has very good and comfortale to use rubber coating on the focus ring. Too bad that there's no SSM inside.

Above all this is one of the best macro lenses in the market and I can recommend it.
reviewer#3277 date: Feb-17-2008
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:I've nothing to compare against it.
price paid:485 Euro (new)
positive:Sharp, beautiful color, well buildt although plastic, neither distortion nor flare.
negative:A little bit hunting in low light. Slow autofocus, but don't worry, it's a macro.
comment:Sharper at f2.8 than other lenses at f8: I could read the backside comments on a book from 5 meters away on the processed picture. I guess the best non "G" lens from Minolta. Perfect for macro but as well for portrait. Buy it as long as You can get it. Guess You'll get nothing better for the price than this lens!
reviewer#3118 date: Dec-29-2007
compared to:KM 28-75
Min 100-400
negative:stiff, plastic shade
slow AF
comment:The sharpest lens I own. Beautiful colors and bokeh. I do not use it for portraits because it is too sharp for the style of portraits I typically take of family and friends. However, for the craggy face look of the old fisherman, I can't imagine a better lens. I would have given a 4.5 for build had the option been available. My only build problem is that the hood is VERY hard to take on and off - this probably is peculiar to my copy but it is an aggravation - I have to apply a lot of force to fit and screw the shade on and off. The slow AF doesn't concern me because for the purposes I use this lens, I always manually focus.
reviewer#3094 date: Dec-21-2007
price paid:550 usd (new)
positive:sharp,smooth bokeh,good build
comment:this is a great lens for macro and portrait, the bokeh makes the subject pop, almost three dimensional, for macro the reach is good enough so as to not disturb u'r subject,
extremly shalow dof, the dof calculator tels me at 20 cm dof is 0.02 cm thats 1mm in front and 1mm behind but if u get it right the results r amazing, u can see the spider shot in the galary how small the dof is!!
if u dont have it pick it up...
reviewer#2999 date: Nov-30-2007
  • full frame: 24MP24 MP36MP36 MP
compared to:Vivitar Macro 100mm f3.5.
Tamron 90mm f2.8.
Manual Focus precision
Focus lock
negative:AF hunt on low light conditions
comment:This lens is absolutely fantastic to be used as macro, sharpness is superb and OOF is really beautiful, the problem I see to do portraits is the sharpness, too much, you should do postprocess to remove unwanted detail.
reviewer#2967 date: Nov-23-2007
compared to:Minolta 200/2,8 APO
price paid:500 usd (used)
positive:sharp, macro 1:1, very well built
negative:slow, often hunting (better on A700), zooming when focusing
comment:slow as macro lenses are - expected
reviewer#2909 date: Nov-6-2007
reviewer#2887 date: Oct-31-2007
compared to:minolta 50mm f2.8 macro rs
high contrast
35cm mfd
Does it's job(macro work) well
circular aperture
focus clutch mechanism
negative:purple fringing in high contrast situations
Poor auto focus accuracy towards infinity
Not an interior focus lens
comment:The lens excels at macro photography.
reviewer#2760 date: Sep-20-2007