FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a900 to a99ii upgrade worth it?

Page  <1234>
Author
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1662
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 23:03
Originally posted by Dena Dena wrote:

Originally posted by feinberj feinberj wrote:

I am a long time a100->a700->a900 user. I absolutely love the a900 viewfinder. For a long while I refused to look at the SLT cameras because I pooh-poohed the EVF. Lately I have been seriously considering buying an a99 II, and I think I am about ready. I am very excited about the focus peaking feature. I might start using manual focus for a lot of my pictures, just for the fun of it. I also want the significant improvement in low-light performance.

Any point waiting for Black Friday, cyber Monday, or post Christmas in terms of hoping for a sale? I've been watching the price of the a99 II for almost a year, and the price of a new camera has not budged from $3200 on B&H and Amazon.


EVF is totally worth it for the focus peaking alone. I use manual focus almost exclusively now. About the only time I use auto focus is for birds or people moving around.

I want to go to emount for full frame on one hand, but love my old Minolta glass. I'm wondering if a used a99 would suit me for now. Going to E SO expensive. I would have to buy a native lens or 2 to put on it.


It sound like you may be coming down with a bad case of GAS.

I hemmed and hawed for some time while waiting for an A77mark3 to replace my ailing A77. To get me through I bought an A850 and A580 to compare and contrast, check out the full frame experience. I also picked up a A68 to see if the AF system would be worth a step to the A77II. With no mark3 on the horizon I picked up an "new old stock" A77 and pre loved A99. Some old Minolta glass holds up on the A99 (eg. Minolta AF 85mm 1:1.4) and some don't (eg. Minolta AF 70-210mm 1:4).   

Edited by LAbernethy - 22 November 2019 at 23:08
 



Back to Top
vitor View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 10 August 2006
Country: Portugal
Location: Lisbon
Status: Offline
Posts: 1923
Post Options Post Options   Quote vitor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 23:14
Originally posted by LAbernethy LAbernethy wrote:

Originally posted by vitor vitor wrote:

Originally posted by LAbernethy LAbernethy wrote:

To get the full benefit out of the 99mk2 (and the a77II IMO) you really need the mark II lenses and accessories.

I fail to understand this statement. Can you please share your thoughts on this? What do you mean with full benefit?

I thought it was self explanatory.
I think an easy example is the SAL70300G and SAL70300G2 with say the A77 and A77II. The AF system was the great leap forward with the A77II, putting the SAL70300G on it gets the tracking and AF points but not the speed of the SAL70300G2 which as a faster SSM drive.

Thank you for the explanation. I see now you were talking about af speed of ssm lenses.
This is only relevant to some type of photography.
Back to Top
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1662
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 23:17
there is more to it but that was an easy example to make.
Back to Top
Dena View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 02 November 2015
Country: United States
Location: Arkansas
Status: Offline
Posts: 700
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 02:38
Originally posted by LAbernethy LAbernethy wrote:

Originally posted by Dena Dena wrote:

Originally posted by feinberj feinberj wrote:

I am a long time a100->a700->a900 user. I absolutely love the a900 viewfinder. For a long while I refused to look at the SLT cameras because I pooh-poohed the EVF. Lately I have been seriously considering buying an a99 II, and I think I am about ready. I am very excited about the focus peaking feature. I might start using manual focus for a lot of my pictures, just for the fun of it. I also want the significant improvement in low-light performance.

Any point waiting for Black Friday, cyber Monday, or post Christmas in terms of hoping for a sale? I've been watching the price of the a99 II for almost a year, and the price of a new camera has not budged from $3200 on B&H and Amazon.


EVF is totally worth it for the focus peaking alone. I use manual focus almost exclusively now. About the only time I use auto focus is for birds or people moving around.

I want to go to emount for full frame on one hand, but love my old Minolta glass. I'm wondering if a used a99 would suit me for now. Going to E SO expensive. I would have to buy a native lens or 2 to put on it.


It sound like you may be coming down with a bad case of GAS.

I hemmed and hawed for some time while waiting for an A77mark3 to replace my ailing A77. To get me through I bought an A850 and A580 to compare and contrast, check out the full frame experience. I also picked up a A68 to see if the AF system would be worth a step to the A77II. With no mark3 on the horizon I picked up an "new old stock" A77 and pre loved A99. Some old Minolta glass holds up on the A99 (eg. Minolta AF 85mm 1:1.4) and some don't (eg. Minolta AF 70-210mm 1:4).   


Thanks.. No GAS here... only the first part of that post mine. I love my a77ii, except at high ISO. I'd keep it. I'm looking to do some portrait work and wondering if the a99 + Minolta 85mm 1.4 would be a good combo for it. I really have no desire to move to a whole new system right now.
Back to Top
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1662
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 03:13
The a99 + Minolta 85mm 1.4 is a great combo for portrait work; marginally better than the a77 + Minolta 85mm 1.4. The a99 is about the same at higher ISO's as the a77, a little better but about the same.
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 10268
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 09:57
Portraits with an A-mount lens? A99m2 has Eye AF - perfect

IMHO a better camera then the A7r2, the AF of the A7r3 probably is a little better after the last firmware update.
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
 



Back to Top
SnowFella View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 21 April 2013
Country: Australia
Location: Sydney
Status: Offline
Posts: 2347
Post Options Post Options   Quote SnowFella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 10:23
Can't say I've found any lens that did alright on the A77 to do worse on the A99ii in the months that I've owned it. For one the pixel pitch on the A77 is smaller than on the A99ii so it would tax lenses even harder, fair enough corners that isn't used on an APS-C sensor could well end up worse.
Back to Top
Eclipse View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 13 February 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 1793
Post Options Post Options   Quote Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 10:37
Originally posted by TomV TomV wrote:

Eclipse,

Yours is the first review I have seen that has "loathe" as a descriptor for the EVF. I do not have such issues with mine. I suggest the OP read other reviews concerning the EVF before being swayed too much by yours alone.


I did say that other people told me it wouldn't be a problem, so I would have thought the inference was that this loathing was personal to me (though I'm interested to see that I am not the only one). I think we on Dyxum are in the habit of reading a selection of reviews to get a broader picture. Mine was also not the first review. Had mine been the first review on here I might have made it even clearer that I was aware that this was a minority view.

To be specific- I find the time lag a pain in the neck for my fast (and often very unpredictable) work. I can't use the fastest shutter speed as the EVF can't keep up with itself if I do. I find it is not wysiwyg, it's really rather misleading in that respect. I find that even at the fastest refresh rate, I am annoyed by the flicker, and the slow rate I can't use at all for that reason. I am also irritated by the fact that when I pick the camera up, I can't look immediately through the viewfinder, as there is another lag in how long the EVF takes to 'light up'; I often have long periods of waiting time where I am not looking through the lens, things happen suddenly, and I have to lift the camera up to my eye and shoot immediately- with the OVF on the A900 this is/was no problem, but with the 99ii I have to do the first shot literally blind because the EVF is still waking up. I also find it less pleasant to use in some lighting conditions.

I hope that clarification helps identify what is a problem for me- this may help other people discount it, as you suggest, if these things wouldn't bother them.
Back to Top
LAbernethy View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 November 2015
Country: Canada
Location: Ajax, Ontario
Status: Offline
Posts: 1662
Post Options Post Options   Quote LAbernethy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 12:22
Originally posted by SnowFella SnowFella wrote:

Can't say I've found any lens that did alright on the A77 to do worse on the A99ii in the months that I've owned it. For one the pixel pitch on the A77 is smaller than on the A99ii so it would tax lenses even harder, fair enough corners that isn't used on an APS-C sensor could well end up worse.
and light drop off on wide open apertures.
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 10268
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 15:01
Originally posted by Eclipse Eclipse wrote:

I am also irritated by the fact that when I pick the camera up, I can't look immediately through the viewfinder, as there is another lag in how long the EVF takes to 'light up'; I often have long periods of waiting time where I am not looking through the lens, things happen suddenly, and I have to lift the camera up to my eye and shoot immediately- with the OVF on the A900 this is/was no problem, but with the 99ii I have to do the first shot literally blind because the EVF is still waking up.
Did you have the FINDER/MONITOR setting on Auto or Manual? As it is quicker when you put it on Manual.

You're not the only person who has reasons to dislike EVF's - but for most of us it is wonderful
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
feinberj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 November 2007
Country: United States
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Post Options Post Options   Quote feinberj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 19:26
I just bought an a99ii yesterday, to go along with the a900 I've been using for many, many years. At first I was somewhat unhappy. I don't like the updated button layout too much. On the a900, I could do almost everything I needed with my right hand. On the a99ii, the menu button is all the way on the top left of the camera back, so menu operations now require two hands.

On the other hand, I LOVE focus peaking. It is so much fun, I think I will stop using autofocus for a while. :)

The fold-out rear screen is wonderful. The eyepiece is tolerable, and of course it's quite useful that pretty much anything can show up in the eyepiece. On the other hand, the a900 eyepiece was a real pleasure, and that will be missed.

I don't use flash very often, so I won't get into the hot mess that is flash support on this camera. OK, maybe I'll get into it a little bit. I do like to use wireless flash sometimes, so for the a900 I have an HVL-F20am. While I can use this on the a99ii, I have to use it with a chunky adapter. Why couldn't they have included a built-in flash? Or, barring that, why can't they have in-body radio trigger support that's compatible with Sony's radio-controlled flashes?
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 10268
Post Options Post Options   Quote addy landzaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 19:58
Originally posted by feinberj feinberj wrote:

I do like to use wireless flash sometimes, so for the a900 I have an HVL-F20am. While I can use this on the a99ii, I have to use it with a chunky adapter.
Well, if you use the HVL-20M you would not have to use that chunky adaptor

Why couldn't they have included a built-in flash?
was that a problem on the A900?

Or, barring that, why can't they have in-body radio trigger support that's compatible with Sony's radio-controlled flashes?
That would've been nice!

You like the manual focus, but the auto focus is really nice with moving subjects.

Anyway, enjoy it, it is a wonderful camera!
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
feinberj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 November 2007
Country: United States
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Post Options Post Options   Quote feinberj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 20:13
I will definitely be using the face-registration feature and program in my 7-year-old daughter, my wife, and myself! That will make it much easier to get picture in-focus when she is running around.
Back to Top
feinberj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Joined: 28 November 2007
Country: United States
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Posts: 87
Post Options Post Options   Quote feinberj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 20:14
Yes, the a900 should have had built-in flash too. At least you could use the HVL-F20am without a chunky adapter. The a99ii requires, at a minimum, the HVL-F20am PLUS the big adapter.
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount full frame Page  <1234>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.