FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe A77 thread (cont'd)

Page  <1 78798081>
Author
RubberDials View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 03 January 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 1339
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 00:36
Originally posted by dca1213 dca1213 wrote:

Originally posted by RubberDials RubberDials wrote:

A couple of things we can learn from the picture that we didn't know - the camera has raised numerals on the mode dial like the a900 (but unlike the a850) and the body finish appears to be the dark matte of the a850, rather than the satiny a700/a900 finish.


looks like the same mode dial on the 580 actually.


It does. With two extra settings.
 



Back to Top
dca1213 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 25 December 2008
Country: United States
Location: New Jersey
Status: Offline
Posts: 3780
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 00:29
Originally posted by RubberDials RubberDials wrote:

A couple of things we can learn from the picture that we didn't know - the camera has raised numerals on the mode dial like the a900 (but unlike the a850) and the body finish appears to be the dark matte of the a850, rather than the satiny a700/a900 finish.


looks like the same mode dial on the 580 actually.
Dennis
Back to Top
Adrian Harris View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 08 July 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 292
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 00:25
Re: A77 - Looks like the hot shoe and tilting rear LCD could obstruct each other.

Re NEX: If people are going to discuss that horrid little - and almost useless - camera range in this thread, which has nothing to do with NEX cameras. Then I can not see why I shouldn't start talking about my Panasonic G1 in this thread either - after all it does use all my Sony lenses.
Adrian

www.t1000.co.uk
Back to Top
sybersitizen View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 August 2006
Country: United States
Location: California
Status: Offline
Posts: 14451
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 00:04
Originally posted by Sick Sick wrote:

Originally posted by sybersitizen sybersitizen wrote:

- and no compatiblity with the Minolta/Sony flash system.

Different evolutionary paths. The NEX may inherit the earth, but it hasn't happened yet. Again, fodder for some other thread.
Who says that.
No reason to believe a bigger body does not use the iISO hot shoe.
Esp if it comes with build in EVF (that isn't even available for the NEX 3/5 port).


Who says what? What exactly is your question? What exactly is your point?
Back to Top
sybersitizen View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 August 2006
Country: United States
Location: California
Status: Offline
Posts: 14451
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 00:01
Whoa! The SLT family continues to exhibit the 'sexy' gene...

Back to Top
RubberDials View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 03 January 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 1339
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 00:01
A couple of things we can learn from the picture that we didn't know - the camera has raised numerals on the mode dial like the a900 (but unlike the a850) and the body finish appears to be the dark matte of the a850, rather than the satiny a700/a900 finish.
 



Back to Top
Sick View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 15 July 2009
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Posts: 1200
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 23:58
Originally posted by sybersitizen sybersitizen wrote:

- and no compatiblity with the Minolta/Sony flash system.

Different evolutionary paths. The NEX may inherit the earth, but it hasn't happened yet. Again, fodder for some other thread.
Who says that.
No reason to believe a bigger body does not use the iISO hot shoe.
Esp if it comes with build in EVF (that isn't even available for the NEX 3/5 port).
Back to Top
Bob J View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Dyxum Administrator

Joined: 23 December 2005
Country: United Kingdom
Location: London
Status: Offline
Posts: 27208
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 23:52
Originally posted by Beachrider Beachrider wrote:

Why are you guys in-love with an arbitrary ISO number? There is nothing magical about ISO-50. It was just useful because of the inherent sensitivity of photo-chemicals. There isn't any reason to expect sensors to have similar sensitivity.

Am I missing something?


If you want to use a slow shutter speed and don't have the necessary ND filters, it can be useful.. however if you lose dynamic range it is less useful.
Back to Top
sybersitizen View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 August 2006
Country: United States
Location: California
Status: Offline
Posts: 14451
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 23:42
Originally posted by Stanbury Stanbury wrote:

I'll be interested to see what the so-called 'NEX Pro' has.

Start a NEX Pro thread to talk about that. Has nothing to do with the A77.

A 24MP sensor, a good EVF and build quality (to match that in the A77), and no translucent mirror. What's not to like?

Originally posted by Hezu Hezu wrote:

Let's see, the most obvious I can think of are:
- slower AF speed than in DSLR/SLT models
- adapter required for mounting A-mount lenses
- with that adapter AF only works with lenses that have builtin motors

- and no compatiblity with the Minolta/Sony flash system.

Different evolutionary paths. The NEX may inherit the earth, but it hasn't happened yet. Again, fodder for some other thread.
Back to Top
tigertimb View Drop Down
Alpha Eyes group
Alpha Eyes group

Joined: 22 November 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Posts: 5630
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 23:40
Originally posted by Beachrider Beachrider wrote:

Why are you guys in-love with an arbitrary ISO number? There is nothing magical about ISO-50. It was just useful because of the inherent sensitivity of photo-chemicals. There isn't any reason to expect sensors to have similar sensitivity.

Am I missing something?


From my perspective, it's not so much about wanting ISO-50, as it is about wanting even less noise and greater dynamic range. (Even on the A900 at ISO-200, there is still considerable room for the noise to be improved within the shadows)

The current emphasis with new cameras at the moment, all seems to be about improving the high ISO which I'd certainly appreciate on occasions, but more typically, I'm able to shoot at ISO-200 and so improvements there would benefit me more often.
And I would guess a typical A900 user might think the same way - if you read any reviews before buying the A900, you already knew that it didn't excel as high ISO performance compared to existing competition, so you probably bought it for other reasons.
So it's great to see Sony catching up with high-ISO performance, but I hope they also stay ahead of the curve on their existing strengths and for me this included their low ISO performance, with high dynamic range making a superb combination when coupled with the 24Mp

(and ISO 50 also gives benefits for some flash photography, long exposures without the need for ND filters and similarly I frequently hit the 1/8000sec limit when shooting with below f2 on a sunny day (in the UK!) and having ISO 25 would help then too)
Tim
If you appreciate comments on your photos, how about returning the favour to others . . .
Back to Top
Hezu View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 13 October 2007
Country: Finland
Location: HKI/KSNK
Status: Offline
Posts: 4288
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 23:18
Originally posted by Stanbury Stanbury wrote:

I'll be interested to see what the so-called 'NEX Pro' has. A 24MP sensor, a good EVF and build quality (to match that in the A77), and no translucent mirror. What's not to like?
Let's see, the most obvious I can think of are:
- slower AF speed than in DSLR/SLT models
- adapter required for mounting A-mount lenses
- with that adapter AF only works with lenses that have builtin motors
Back to Top
addy landzaat View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 22 April 2006
Country: Netherlands
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Posts: 14808
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 22:17
Originally posted by jvsanchez jvsanchez wrote:

a little off topic, but that unmarked lens looks to me suspiciously like a 24-120 f/4 i'd honestly rather have that than a CZ 16-50.

Didn't realise that it was something new. Size wise I would think it could be a 24-105/4 - however that would kill off the 28-75/2.8 as a budget option. I don't know about the size of the Nikon 24-120, however the Canon 24-105/4L is bigger. But Minolta lenses used to be smaller then Canon's and this lens seems slightly bigger then the 24-105/3.5-4.5. It looks different then the 16-105 to me. So, is this the legendary much rumored 24-105/4G?
Why not follow me on Instagram? @Addy_101
Back to Top
Beachrider View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 21 April 2010
Country: United States
Location: Best Wishes
Status: Offline
Posts: 355
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 21:59
Why are you guys in-love with an arbitrary ISO number? There is nothing magical about ISO-50. It was just useful because of the inherent sensitivity of photo-chemicals. There isn't any reason to expect sensors to have similar sensitivity.

Am I missing something?
Back to Top
jvsanchez View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 October 2009
Location: Texas, USA
Status: Offline
Posts: 1599
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 21:58
a little off topic, but that unmarked lens looks to me suspiciously like a 24-120 f/4 i'd honestly rather have that than a CZ 16-50.
- Vincent
α7 IV | CZ 55/1.8 | Σ 35/2 C | FE 20-70/4 G | FE 70-200/4 G | FE 200-600/5.6-6.3 G
Back to Top
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  <1 78798081>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.

Monitor calibration strip

Dyxum.com - Home of the alpha system photographer

In memory of Cameron Hill - brettania

Feel free to contact us if needed.