FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here's a Flaw That Nobody Has Mentioned So Far

Page  123 7>
Author
Two_truths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Two_truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here's a Flaw That Nobody Has Mentioned So Far
    Posted: 30 January 2008 at 22:52
Since the Alpha 300 / 350 use a separate sensor for liveview then that means that view will not be stabilised by the anti-shake system.

Edited by Two_truths - 30 January 2008 at 22:53
--
Stuart / the Two Truths
The Modern Hippie of Dyxum
twotruths.net
a700 | 1.8/20 | 1.4/50 | 2.8/90 | 1.8/135

douglasf13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote douglasf13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 22:54
True, just like our OVF's aren't stabilized. Oh well.
----
douglasferling.com
NEX-5, Hasselblad V, Leicaflex SL, Hipstamatic (former A900, A700, A100 owner.)
ricardovaste View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ricardovaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 22:55
Hmmm... Surely Kiklop would have mentioned something that significant??? No SSS during live-view would be a big point to Canon/Nikon etc.
I photograph the moments in people's lives that mean the most to them: Richard Harris Photography
moire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote moire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 22:56
Yes!! SONY sucks When im holding A350 in my hand straight out like a noice P&S user with the 300mm +2x converter mounted the liveivew isnt stabilized WTH is that all about! I will never use sony again .. ;)
Maffe View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 22:57
I rather have AF ( VS 40D) and fast AF (vs Nikon) then stabilized LV
m.b. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m.b. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 23:01
ricardovaste: sss will work .. you just won't see the effect like with oly

Edited by m.b. - 30 January 2008 at 23:36

sybersitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 23:02
Originally posted by Two_truths Two_truths wrote:

Since the Alpha 300 / 350 use a separate sensor for liveview then that means that view will not be stabilised by the anti-shake system.

Who cares about that? I leave the viewfinder AS system permanently turned off in my Z5. It only needs to work when you take the shot.
Two_truths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Two_truths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 23:14
Originally posted by m.b. m.b. wrote:

ricardovaste: sss will work .. you just won't see the effect, like with oly

Oh? Does it not work for them either?

GOOD!
--
Stuart / the Two Truths
The Modern Hippie of Dyxum
twotruths.net
a700 | 1.8/20 | 1.4/50 | 2.8/90 | 1.8/135
CTYankee View Drop Down
Emeritus group
Emeritus group
Moderator emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Quote CTYankee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 23:15
Not a big point ... this is entry level stuff.

There are a few cons associated with this LV implementation; WB preview won't be accurate; focus accuracy is no better than what you get from the bright matte focus screens we have (i.e. not as good as the 'M' screen) and DOF preview (if it were offered !) would be inaccurate due to the focus screen. It probably doesn't offer 100% view.

But it is what it is; it offers full time (fast !) AF, and is probably the vastly superior solution for the entry level market, not to mention a nice compromise for many others, all depending on what you want LV for. I've mentioned being more interested in EVF to eliminate the mirror and having little use for shooting handheld (mostly what I do) at arms length. But I sometimes shoot with the camera away from my eye when shooting kids because they respond better when I'm looking at them and not through the camera. Since I'd be using it for that purpose (and not for landscape or macro photography) I like the idea of this implementation. (It also apparently depends on a pentamirror VF which I think prevents it from propagating too high up in the lineup).

Edit: It also involves a 10% decrease in VF magnification, which I'm not too terribly keen on ... will definitely need to check it out in person.

Edited by CTYankee - 30 January 2008 at 23:16
April Foolishness
CZ16-80 | 28-75D | 28/2 | 85/1.4 | 70-300G | 400G
m.b. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m.b. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 23:40
two_truths: no.. should I say "unlike oly"? :) sorry about my English..

AFAIK with Oly you can see how AS works.
m.b. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote m.b. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 23:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdy52mR6Io

Edited by m.b. - 30 January 2008 at 23:46
sybersitizen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sybersitizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 00:02
Originally posted by CTYankee CTYankee wrote:

There are a few cons associated with this LV implementation; WB preview won't be accurate; focus accuracy is no better than what you get from the bright matte focus screens we have (i.e. not as good as the 'M' screen) and DOF preview (if it were offered !) would be inaccurate due to the focus screen. It probably doesn't offer 100% view.

I question the importance of those factors. If you have time to carefully inspect a live view screen for things like this, you also have time to just shoot the darn picture and inspect that instead! If you're working with flash, that is still the only way.

BTW, live view with an articulating screen trumps just about all those other live view implementations no matter what.

And again, the absence of AS (SSS) in live view is a non-issue.
lozw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote lozw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 00:10
More annoying is that according to Kiklop, the maximum magnification on LV to help with focusing is just 2x.

Every other LV DLSR has 8-10x zoom. This is really useful for checking manual focus, especially in macro mode.

If that is true, then its very lame
Saved By Zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Saved By Zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 00:19
Originally posted by Two_truths Two_truths wrote:

Two other potential flaws are MORE moving parts in both bodies. The penta tilting mirror for live view and the rear LCD tilting screen arms. The chances of either of those parts needing repairs are vastly hire then the bodies with out them. It many not be a huge wide spread problem but I can see both adding to the general repair rates.

:)
I start to drift with the tide
Maybe I'll reach, I'll reach the beach
My heart is sealed watertight
Maybe I'll reach. I'll reach the beach...
The Fixx
Dyxum main page >  Forum Home > Equipment forums > Camera Talk > A-mount APS-C Page  123 7>